This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    My take is, midget point guards would get consideration for the national team only if they got exceptional skills, quickness & athleticism like say a Jason Castro or my most favorite Pinoy point guard of all time- Johnny Abarrientos. Japan's Togashi & Kawamura are undersized point guards but they got exceptional skills, quickness & court savvy that's why they are in the Japanese national team.
    agreed, we can't afford to have really small guards otherwise

Comment

Well, Iskati may be only around 6-foot flat or maybe 5-foot-11 but he plays bigger than his height. He rebounds like a 6-foot-5 player & is a decent defender. The same couldn't be said about either Belangel & RJ Abarrientos.

Remember also that both Belangel & Abarrientos aren't playing in the PBA while Stockton does. Isn't SMC now handles Gilas with Gilas head coach Tim Cone being a PBA coach under SMC? With this, I feel Belangel & Abarrientos wont be getting preference from SBP as much as PBA guards would get.
      They're more better players than stockton.. heading is knocking the door of sbp..

Iskati isnt the best PG either.. got outplayed by the back up PG. Even in AG, he didnt do well
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
        And iskati is around that height. Best PG's are currently playing outside RP.. no to disrespect stockton but it will be difficult for him to get a call up where list of players are above him. SJ played well in recently concluded KBL regular season and we havent talk about the combo guard jordan heading
        Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        Well, Iskati may be only around 6-foot flat or maybe 5-foot-11 but he plays bigger than his height. He rebounds like a 6-foot-5 player & is a decent defender. The same couldn't be said about either Belangel & RJ Abarrientos.

Remember also that both Belangel & Abarrientos aren't playing in the PBA while Stockton does. Isn't SMC now handles Gilas with Gilas head coach Tim Cone being a PBA coach under SMC? With this, I feel Belangel & Abarrientos wont be getting preference from SBP as much as PBA guards would get.
        RJ and SJ are better facilitators, shooters, and scorers, which are good assets for PG's. 'Yun nga lang, SJ's 177cm (almost 5'10"), and RJ's 181cm (5'11"), and not exactly the best defenders. 'Yun nga lang, you really need to be exceptional if you're a short guard, ala Castro, Alapag, Togashi, and Kawamura.

As for Iskati, his skillset of being a secondary ballhandler, hustle guy, and defender, while useful for Gilas, is best for a backup at his position. I don't think that's a ground for dropping him, though. He's still a good man-to-man defender.

Comment

They're more better players than stockton.. heading is knocking the door of sbp..

Iskati isnt the best PG either.. got outplayed by the back up PG. Even in AG, he didnt do well
          Yes, Iskati isn't the best point guard in Phi basketball right now. Robert Bolick is the best point guard we have but sadly SBP or SMC doesn't want him in the national team.

I like Jordan Heading to play for Gilas. He is the best shooter we have right now, plus he can play as a combo guard. But it seems SBP or coach Tim Cone isn't interested to call his serviceable, at least for now.

Between Heading & Stockton, I'll choose Heading as Gilas combo guard. We already have seen what Heading can do in FIBA & international basketball while Stockton is still untested. Pero yun nga, it seems SBP & coach Tim isn't interested to get Heading's services at present.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• I'd like to throw this hypothetical question: Guys, would U include a prime Johnny Abarrientos for the current Gilas pool/team?

Sorry to ask that question, I'm a big fan of Johnny A. kasi.
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

I'd like to throw this hypothetical question: Guys, would U include a prime Johnny Abarrientos for the current Gilas pool/team?

Sorry to ask that question, I'm a big fan of Johnny A. kasi.
              yes.. funny though, the nephew has similarities with the uncle johnny’s game but cone didnt tap him.. hope in the future he gets invited but..

sigpic

Comment

yes.. funny though, the nephew has similarities with the uncle johnny’s game but cone didnt tap him.. hope in the future he gets invited but..
                Honestly, I think only Bolick, Skati, Newsome, and Heading should have precedence over RJ (and even SJ) at the guard spot. Pero ayun.

Comment

• Originally posted by IPC View Post

Honestly, I think only Bolick, Skati, Newsome, and Heading should have precedence over RJ (and even SJ) at the guard spot. Pero ayun.
                  Bolick maybe isnt a tim cone guy like how tim cone dislike the game of kiefer..

sigpic

Comment

I think the nephew isn't as quick, athletic and not as smart as the uncle. Plus the uncle is a better defender. The nephew's edge over uncle Johnny is in 3-pt shooting.

Comment

• And we all know the reason about rjay.. even he wins the B-league MVP. He wont get a call up. He's one of most vocal about SBP's leadership.

As much as we want them but as long as SBP being petty, they wont receive a call up. Not unless a new leadership though..

sigpic

Comment

I think the nephew isn't as quick, athletic and not as smart as the uncle. Plus the uncle is a better defender. The nephew's edge over uncle Johnny is in 3-pt shooting.
                        He has that passing skills as well but yeah the uncle is much quicker and good defender..

sigpic

Comment

And we all know the reason about rjay.. even he wins the B-league MVP. He wont get a call up. He's one of most vocal about SBP's leadership.

As much as we want them but as long as SBP being petty, they wont receive a call up. Not unless a new leadership though..
                          We'll have new leadership. Sayson says that Panlilio will step down in September.

Hopefully, Dy, as SBP's executive director, is more open to getting players outside the PBA, and getting younger too.

Comment

We'll have new leadership. Sayson says that Panlilio will step down in September.

Hopefully, Dy, as SBP's executive director, is more open to getting players outside the PBA, and getting younger too.
                            Really? Panlinlang is stepping down soon?
                            Hay salamat naman!!!

Comment

Really? Panlinlang is stepping down soon?
                              Hay salamat naman!!!
                              his term is up after the olympics..

so chot as SBP president ?

sigpic

Comment

RJ and SJ are better facilitators, shooters, and scorers, which are good assets for PG's. 'Yun nga lang, SJ's 177cm (almost 5'10"), and RJ's 181cm (5'11"), and not exactly the best defenders. 'Yun nga lang, you really need to be exceptional if you're a short guard, ala Castro, Alapag, Togashi, and Kawamura.

As for Iskati, his skillset of being a secondary ballhandler, hustle guy, and defender, while useful for Gilas, is best for a backup at his position. I don't think that's a ground for dropping him, though. He's still a good man-to-man defender.
                                SJ is a decent defender at least, even against much taller players. RJ meanwhile is a liability on defense, but good preparation & coaching can negate that. tab used him well, where lineups featuring RJ had him surrounded by great defenders, usually 3 out of these 4 are on the floor with rj: kouame, sotto, navarro, balti

iskati works best playing alongside somebody like clarkson, but he struggles being the main playmaker against world-level opponents. even kiefer is a better playmaker than him

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information