No announcement yet.

Bronze Medal Match: Australia vs Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can appreciate the wonderful era of Spanish basketball from 2002-2016. Far cry from the mess I saw in Barcelona in 1992. Would like to see better development from them though. Pau Gasol should not be your best player at age 36.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Chacho View Post
      Your arrogance is okey, no?
      With this post u can check that your time is more important than this troll
      BARÇA O MUERTE

Comment

• Originally posted by usagre View Post
        Don't waste your time with these guys. Pau Gasol will retire and then Spain will be what they always were before him in the world of basketball, completely irrelevant. Although I must say I will miss eliminating a Pau led team over and over again.
        One thing is saying they'll be an average team and other very different to say "completely irrelevant".

Originally posted by usagre View Post
        But hey, he can always say he beat the USA in that all important 6th place classification game.

Goodnight everybody see you all in 3 years at the World Cup.
        "He" didn't win, the Spanish NT did. It was the 5th position game and as far i can remember Spain didn't play bad in the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kwijibo View Post
          With this post u can check that your time is more important than this troll
          Now is clarified. I thought that the Euroleague and European competitions thread were a bit conflictives, but compared with the international competitions threads, is a calm sea.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Chacho View Post
            Your arrogance is okey, no?
            No, he can always improve.

Comment

Don't waste your time with these guys. Pau Gasol will retire and then Spain will be what they always were before him in the world of basketball, completely irrelevant. Although I must say I will miss eliminating a Pau led team over and over again.
              But hey, he can always say he beat the USA in that all important 6th place classification game.

Goodnight everybody see you all in 3 years at the World Cup.
              Gasol can also say that he beat the hell out of the team that defeated and eliminated the first edition of the US Redeem Team with Coach K and Lebron.

Comment

• Originally posted by SG 3000 View Post
                Gasol can also say that he beat the hell out of the team that defeated and eliminated the first edition of the US Redeem Team with Coach K and Lebron.
                No actually he didn't play in that game.
                Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                  well you'd better believe it.Only spaniards think that this was not a robbery and an awful call.Check the tweets of american basketball journalists..all of them agree that it was a terrible call
                  examples

https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/s...22124231303168
                  They are entitled to their opinion. So do I. The only difference is, my opinion is being based on facts, so I can provide proof. And they don't.

Here you have the play, dissected for your convenience:

Spain actually runs a play and puts Sergio in a great position to score. Australia is dumbfounded and little Patty Mills founds himself as the last defender between Rodriguez and the basket. He arrives late and has no time to put himself in a good defensive stance.

Actually, you'd call that "squatting", if you ask me. Please take note of the position of both his feet, well outside the paint.

Then, Sergio picks up his dribble and he's going to take the last steps to basket going left and blowing by Mills, catching him flat-footed. But a funny thing happens then. Mills feet, instead of being planted in the floor as required to draw an offensive foul, start to dance (possibly affected by the Spaniards' flopping aura, or following some catchy tune being played on the background).

Put your hands up! Put your hands up in the air! But, what's that right leg doing there? Samba? Mills puts his knee in Sergio's path and creates contact.

OMG! OMG! He touched Sergio! What's a wily veteran like him going to do? Will he shrug off contact and try to finish anyway? Or will he exaggerate it all and throw the ball up just in case the refs wasn't sure? I'm glad you asked.

Of course, baby! He went for the sure thing. Please note again the position of both Mills' feet. Weeeeell inside the paint. Because he was going backwards while still placing himself in front of Rodriguez. Let's see it again:

So, yes, as Sergio dives to the floor as he's supposed to do, Mills is not touching him. Because the fool is backtracking like Sergio's on fire. But he already made contact.

Well. Now that we know what happened, let's hear from those guys at FIBA who I'm told have quite an influential view on what's a foul and what's not.

Rule 33.4 Guarding a player who controls the ball:
                  The guarding (defensive) player must establish an initial legal guarding position without causing contact before taking his position.

Once the defensive player has established an initial legal guarding position, he may move to guard his opponent, but he may not extend his arms, shoulders, hips or legs to prevent the dribbler from passing by him.

The defensive player must establish an initial legal guarding position by facing the player with the ball and having both feet on the floor.

Contact must occur on the torso, in which case the defensive player would be considered as having been at the place of contact first.

Previously, the rules state that a foul should be called on the a player when:

As soon as the player leaves his vertical position (cylinder) and body contact occurs with an opponent who had already established his own vertical position (cylinder), the player who left his vertical position (cylinder) is responsible for the contact.

You do the math. Mills creates contact by extending his right leg, hitting Sergio below the waistline. I'm sorry but that's a foul, even if the contact seems to be minimal. Sergio then dives to the floor like he was run over by a raging rhino. That's how it works: you force the referees to take a decision. 9 out of 10 times, they'll call it in your favor. Blame should go to the whole Australian squad, playing piss-poor defence in the final seconds of a game while leaving their PG as their lone rim protector.

Comment

No actually he didn't play in that game.
                    he did not play but was part of the team and won the MVP

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
                      They are entitled to their opinion. So do I. The only difference is, my opinion is being based on facts, so I can provide proof. And they don't.
                      [reduced for convenience] - Levenspiel
                      Here you have the play, dissected for your convenience:
                      good post.

i do not need to see this. it looked like a foul when i was watching. replays confirmed it for me.
                      Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-22-2016, 08:38 AM. Reason: quoted text reduced in size

Comment

• But, of course, that play shouldn't even have happened. But just because the referees forgot their most important rule during the previous play: always help Spain!

For those of you who didn't catch the replays, previously on this court Baynes had made a hook shot with a bit of a lucky bounce. As the ball bounced off the rim, there was a little Spanish player ready to swipe it preventing the basket. A 2.06, athletic player otherwise known as Victor Claver.

Look at the looming, pixelated figure just behind him. He's David Andersen and he's having nothing of it.

Just as Claver jumps up, he places both hands in his back and a miracle happens.

In an unexpected turn of events, Claver loses his balance and fails to reach the ball.

That mysterious force even sends him to the floor afterwards. It's like someone shoved him from behind, but that's impossible because there was just David Andersen and we know he's like the saint patron of sportsmanlike behaviour. For God's sake, earlier in the game he was unrattled when dirty Lllull smeared his greasy beard all over his elbow and didn't retaliate as was his right. Surely he wasn't going to risk his 5th foul here, was he?

But let your imagination fly and think for a moment the refs would have fall for the obvious flopping from Claver and called a foul on Andersen. The basket wouldn't count, and Spain could extend their lead to 3 with less than 10 seconds to go. And we all saw how nicely the Aussies played their last possession. Not the right way to end such a battled game. Maybe it was better to wait for an even more blatant way to handle Spain the medal. Those little, mischievous refs!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darrell Armstrong View Post
                          But, of course, that play shouldn't even have happened. But just because the referees forgot their most important rule during the previous play: always help Spain!

For those of you who didn't catch the replays, previously on this court Baynes had made a hook shot with a bit of a lucky bounce. As the ball bounced off the rim, there was a little Spanish player ready to swipe it preventing the basket. A 2.06, athletic player otherwise known as Victor Claver.
                          That was a good one. Couldn't see the replays so thanks for the post!
                          Last edited by Levenspiel; 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM. Reason: Quoted text reduced in size

Comment

• Ah the liitle old trick of putting screencaps to prove if there was or not a foul.How cute.By using stills you can "discover" a foul literally on every play of a basketball game.Of course in the second case it backfires cause Gasol also pushes Ingles so at best it's a double foul and Australia stiil gets the points.99% percent of twitter basketball community agreed that it was a bs call.But of course only Darell Armstrong and ACB foros know the rules,the rest of the world who saw no foul are just Spain haters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon_Koncak View Post
                              Ah the liitle old trick of putting screencaps to prove if there was or not a foul.How cute.By using stills you can "discover" a foul literally on every play of a basketball game.Of course in the second case it backfires cause Gasol also pushes Ingles so at best it's a double foul and Australia stiil gets the points.99% percent of twitter basketball community agreed that it was a bs call.But of course only Darell Armstrong and ACB foros know the rules,the rest of the world who saw no foul are just Spain haters.
                              I provided evidence. You provide hate

In the Mills play, will you deny he is in a bad position to defend the basket and creates contact with his right leg? In the Baynes play, actually I thought I established no one shoves anyone. Why would you think Andersen is doing anything more than softly caressing Claver's back? Just because he crashes onto the floor afterwards? He's a pussy. And Ingles is able to land perfectly safe? Of course! He's a tough Aussie!

Comment

• No Mills has a legal defending position.you dont have to be still once you establish a position,you can move back just like Mills did.Rodrigues initiated the (minimal) contact..what was Mills supposed to do,dissapear?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information