FIBA vs ULEB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheMirror View Post
    What happened to Treviso? They finished first in A2, they were supposed to qualify to A without playoffs, right?
    Do they have financial problems?
    As far as I known, they don't have financial problems; they were not supposed to qualify to A1.
    A2 is now splitted into two conferences (east/west) of 16 teams each; top 8 teams from each conference qualify for playoff : Treviso was first in RS of the eastern conference, but lost in the semis against Fortitudo Bologna (1-3) and Brescia won the final series, so Brescia got promoted into A1

Comment

• You're right, my mistake, I missed their listing in the playoff bracket.
      But was that the intention to begin with? only one qualifier?

Comment

• rumours are that greement between ECA and FIBA has been made?
        "Heja, heja Cibosi, hrabri kao vukovi,

heja, heja cibosi, vodite nas k pobjedi. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Picek View Post
          rumours are that greement between ECA and FIBA has been made?
          What kind of?
          2022/2023:
          PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
          SG: Baldwin, Hollins
          SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
          PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
          PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy M View Post
            What kind of?
            No eurocup from next year and FIBA getting some 10% share in euroleague.

Comment

• Originally posted by Picek View Post
              No eurocup from next year and FIBA getting some 10% share in euroleague.
              Mean 2017/18, or this upcooming season?
              What will Eurocup's teams do now?
              2022/2023:
              PG: Brown, D-BA, Ziv
              SG: Baldwin, Hollins
              SF: Hillard, Pnini, Menco
              PF: Martin, Colson, Cohen
              PF: Nebo, Poyters, Sorkin

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy M View Post
                Mean 2017/18, or this upcooming season?
                What will Eurocup's teams do now?
                from 2017/2018 season apparently.
                But let's see if it will be confirmed.

Comment

• A dissaster if true. Fiba shouldn't change their stance untill any priviledges of any single individual club is completely abolished.
                  Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                  That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• Originally posted by JoÅ¡ko Poljak Fan View Post
                    A dissaster if true. Fiba shouldn't change their stance untill any priviledges of any single individual club is completely abolished.
                    I completly agree but I do not trust the integrity of FIBA Europe and I fear that they will not stand by their principles when they see some cash. Let's see. They did after all offer licenses before claiming that the top european competition should be based on sporting merits.

Comment

• Some news from Lithuania. As we know the Lithuanian Basketball Federation has issued a suspension for Lietuvos Rytas a couple of months ago, Lietuvos Rytas appealed the suspension to the local court on the grounds that it may break the Competition law. The court issued an interim order, which states that Lietuvos Rytas cannot be suspended until the final court decision is announced (at very minimum a couple months until such decision is made, maybe even more, a year or so with all the appeals, etc.).

The federation can still appeal the interim order within a week, even if they do tho, most likely it will not go away.

Comment

• Joško Poljak Fan, did you actually still believe FIBA's struggle was about principles or sportive issues?
                        Haven't you seen enough evidence by now that it was all about money and power and control?

Still, if the rumors Picek writes about are true - it's a win for FIBA and total capitulation by ECA. And that's on a case that ECA had a win in their pocket, but even when you have all the odds at your side you can't win if you choose to sit and not fight at all. Totally wierd conduct by ECA, as I wrote several times before.

Picek, where do these rumors come from?

Comment

• Well, let's just say we interpret these evidences really differently I don't care about anything else but sportive principles and what's good for basketball as a sport and that's something that doesn't even remotely comes near any remote connection to Bertomeu&co and their philosophy. They have other worries, I get that as well as why their policies are the way they are, just that I couldn't care less.
                          Conclusion, it's hard to say someone from a sportive perspective is a worse option than Bertomeu and ECA.... I don't believe in a black & white world and if there is a possibility to get less of that and more sportive principles, I'll take that, even if it's a small change, it's in a positive direction. As simple as that.

I really think we interpret these actions differently, since unless Fiba bailed, my prognosis remains the same. ECA will and should be finished and will hopefully end up on the trashdump of history.
                          That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

• So you actually think FIBA is guided by principles?
                            You do remember they offered the same A-licences to the big teams, don't you?
                            You do remember that about two months ago, they gave ECA that very same offer that Picek now says is the basis for the alleged agreement - "Dear ECA, keep the Euroleague and pay us money"?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMirror View Post
                              So you actually think FIBA is guided by principles?
                              You do remember they offered the same A-licences to the big teams, don't you?
                              You do remember that about two months ago, they gave ECA that very same offer that Picek now says is the basis for the alleged agreement - "Dear ECA, keep the Euroleague and pay us money"?
                              We actualy disagree on some basic approach philosophies actualy.
                              I respect people with a stance as yours - correct/fair, exact.... however I dropped that as I don't believe either in ultimate fairness or ultimate victories - I am pretty satisfied with compromises leading to the way I believe is correct one. So to answer your questions honestly.

I don't care if Fiba is guided by principles or not and don't think we'll ever come to end of that. Some of the interviews of some Fiba related individuals show they are bothered by some of the ECA practices. That's enough for me, or at least significantly better than the ECA. Since I don't believe in ultimate good/ultimate evil, but consider most of things being in the "gray area" I'm sure there are loads of individuals that don't care about sport principles in Fiba as well. But as long as their direction goes the way I believe is correct, I honestly couldn't care less. Let's say I'm looking at it from pragmatical perspective. Fiba being the ultimate evil is laughable to me. I don't believe Bertomeu isritualy eating newborn babies either, he has his own point of view that is the optimal for him and ECA, just imo not for euro bball as a whole, just as I've explained in the past.

I remember, I'd do the same If that would destroy ECA. First of all 8 out of 16 clubs with licences is better than 12/16 and second of all, as soon as ECA is destroyed it wouldn't take much effort to revoke the licences alltogether. Pragmatical once again. I'd do the same if I were Fiba.

I don't actually, haven't been paying enough attention to it lately, however thinking about it, I don't think ECA can survive with the euroleague only and they're aware of it.
                              With only 16 teams from euroleague and the rest going to Fiba, that would realisticaly leave ECA with only 6-8 teams that would on average maintain the quality difference, unless their TV deal really pays out the way they promised it to. Once again, leaving ECA with 16 teams only is a half step to victory and.... I'd probably take that as Fiba in some circumstances, even if it's far from my preffered end-game.

To sum it up. I don't believe in anyone being guided by principles entirely, or in some fair, chivalrious battles without gooing down on equal-level playing field, so basicaly I couldnt care less about the path and the reasons that leads Fiba through their actions as long as I see the results as an improvement compared to the current state. What I see is their philosophy that is much nearer to mine in oppose to a philosophy that is by my beliefs pretty short-sighted, in service of narrow circle of few clubs and ultimately very harmfull for european basketball. Discusted by ECA's philosophy for a decade now, I am down for whatever it takes to get them down. As simple as that. ECA won't change their philosophy, a simple math, while with Fiba there is at least hope and some strong indications they'd go towards the right direction. Sure i'd prefer an orthodox stance by Fiba, but am used of reality not always being in accordance with my wishes
                              Last edited by Joško Poljak Fan; 08-01-2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• From Demirel's quotes today, and from the letter by the Spanish Federation's new president Jorge Garbajosa (yes, it's him...) to the Spanish Eurocup teams - it's obvious the rumors Picek wrote about were false. There is no agreement and the war goes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information