Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBA Trades, Releases, Sign-ups, Rumours (vol. II)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who is this Basketball official with dark plans ?

Originally posted by nardy View Post

Hoop official’s dark plans
    First Posted 11:29:00 28/08/2010

TWO DAYS after the coach of a popular PBA team called to make an inquiry, I was still trying to figure out what prompted him to make the call.

I seldom communicate with this coach and the call was wholly unexpected. He wanted to confirm reports that an unpopular basketball leader had been relieved of his important job.

“I figure you’re the best person to ask since you’re updated on these matters,” he said.

The coach also wanted to confirm if the man was sacked because of his failure to liquidate a staggering amount of P25 million to which he had access.

“I understand that this is the primary reason he was sacked. His inability to get along with people he is working with and others whom he is dealing with, was only secondary.”

Will he face criminal charges? Will his superiors get him jailed if he is unable to account for the amount he has gotten his hands on? The coach wanted to know.

I told the coach I was in no position to confirm if the basketball head is indeed jobless at the moment, although the buzz is all over town. I said I was inclined to believe that he is, since he was reported to have recently visited the office of a powerful top executive of a business conglomerate who has stakes in the PBA.

The controversial sports leader, who has always claimed to be a close friend and associate of that executive, almost always got what he wanted from the executive.

If ever he gets through to the powerful business executive, the speculation is that he would ask for either one of two positions currently being occupied by competent, loyal, career men, who have worked for the conglomerate for decades.

That’s what the basketball head told the staff of the executive.
    He said it would be easy to convince the top executive that he is a worthier choice for the position of any of the two men he wants to replace.

Unfortunately for the (former?) basketball head, he failed to get an audience with the top executive when he visited. But through his secretary, he has set another meeting soon and this has caused much agitation among those who fear that he may be joining their ranks. Even people in the PBA office who heard of the visit share the same apprehension.

Everyone is hoping and praying he does not get the appointment with the top brass he is seeking.

Although nobody wants to deal, much less work, with him, the man is still in good standing with the top executive, who seems to have a soft spot for him.

“So who’s interested to know the status of this man?” It was my turn to question the coach.

“Is there anybody eyeing the position he vacated or will be vacating?”

“Not really. I just needed to determine if this man was telling the truth. He is spreading word that he will be in charge of the company’s basketball operations. If he’s telling the truth, the man currently holding that position is bound to lose his job. Nobody wants this so called cage leader to be in the company,” said the coach.

The man’s dark plans have reached the ears of the company’s basketball officials whose jobs he covets.

“I don’t think what he’s spreading is true. That’s just his strategy, pinagkakalat niya na in na siya,” said the official.

“Now if he truly believes that he’s in, maybe it’s time for him to see a psychiatrist. He’s nuts!”
    =========================================
    Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post

Derby eyes Mamaril to shore up frontline

BY NOLI CORTEZ

B-MEG Derby Ace is raring to defend its PBA Philippine Cup crown, but must do so with two of its most prized players most likely sitting it out for majority of the conference.

So the Llamados are moving heaven and earth to shore up their frontline and are eyeing Billy Mamaril from Ginebra for the veteran frontline presence they so badly need.

"The problem is, sister team ang dalawa and Derby Ace cannot give Ginebra anything but a future draft pick," said a source privy to the negotiations. "Also, there’s the problem of which is going to be the third party."

Derby Ace coach Jorge Gallent declined to comment about the possible trade, but admitted they indeed need some frontliners to make up for what is projected to be a prolonged absence by Kerby Raymundo and Marc Pingris.

Raymundo, who hardly saw action in the recently-concluded Fiesta Conference, was found to be suffering from a torn muscle in his hip area, the same injury bugging Pingris. Both are set to undergo arthroscopic surgery and may take five months to fully recuperate.

The Philippine Cup, topped last season by the team then known as Purefoods, starts on Oct. 3.

The Llamados tried to shore up their frontline by acquiring 6-foot-3 Pari Llagas, a known inside banger, and 6-4 Val Acuna, also a former UE Red Warrior, in last Sunday’s draft. But even team officials admitted the two may take some time before fully blooming in the pro league.

"What Derby Ace truly needs is the veteran smarts Mamaril can instantly deliver," said the source.

Already, the Llamados are sending Paul Artadi to San Miguel Beer for Jonas Villanueva in a trade that also involves Air21 and future draft picks.

For their part, the Kings picked a pair of former NCAA MVPs in John Marion Wilson and Jimbo Aquino, both shooting guards who could help the perennial crowd favorites’ aging backcourt.
      If they want some frontline men, why not get Chester Taylor or "Badong" Canlas? God this guy is not looking outside of the box...

Comment

• Talk ‘N Text suspends trade talk for center, to keep Peek, De Ocampo

By Musong R. Castillo
        Philippine Daily Inquirer
        First Posted 21:51:00 08/31/2010

Filed Under: Sport, Basketball

MANILA, Philippines -- Chot Reyes and Talk ’N Text are done with the wheeling and dealing for now, with the Tropang Texters giving up their hunt for a big man and will just await the arrival of Japeth Aguilar.

Ali Peek, at just over 6-foot-4, will be the Texters’ main center after giving up in their chase to land veteran internationalist Asi Taulava of Coca-Cola.

“Right now, Ali is our center,” Reyes told the Philippine Daily Inquirer recently, disclosing that his squad could not let go, yet, of Ranidel De Ocampo who has been the subject of trade talks vice the big man that Talk ’N Text wanted.

“With the way he’s been playing, if you were the coach, would you let go of Ranidel?” Reyes asked.

“We’ll just wait for December when Japeth (Aguilar) returns,” Reyes added.

Aguilar, last year’s top rookie pick who played just one game for Air21 before being traded to Talk ’N Text, has just one pro game under his belt and is far from being a franchise player.

But the 6-foot-10 former Western Kentucky University reserve has toughened up with Smart-Gilas and has one international tournament left to play in, the Asian Games in China, in November.

“We’re willing to wait,” Reyes said.

Talk ’N Text acquired Peek as part of the trade that sent Mac Cardona to sister squad Meralco last month.

The Texters will try to plug the hole that Cardona left by signing Larry Fonacier, whom the squad acquired from Alaska during the last Draft.

http://sports.inquirer.net/sport/bas...Peek-De-Ocampo

Comment

• Air21 sign up Baclao, Al Hussaini, Guevarra

By Cedelf P. Tupas
          Philippine Daily Inquirer
          First Posted 22:07:00 08/31/2010

Filed Under: Sport, Basketball

MANILA, Philippines -- Showing its commitment to strengthen the squad weakened by trades last season, the Air21 Express wasted little time in signing up its top three picks in the 2010 PBA Draft.

The Express signed top pick Nonoy Baclao and No. 2 choice Rabeh Al-Hussaini to maximum three-year deals worth P8.5 million each and third selection Rey Guevarra to a three-year contract worth P6 million on Tuesday as they began rebuilding a franchise that won just 10 of its 36 games last season.

Cornerstones of the Ateneo squad that won back-to-back titles in the 2008 and 2009, the 6-foot-5 Baclao and 6-foot-7 Al-Hussaini will receive the rookie maximum of P150,000 on their first year, P225,000 on their sophomore season and P337,000 on the final year of the deal.

Guevarra, a former Letran standout, will get P120,000 on his first year, P150,000 on his sophomore season and P200,000 in the third year.

The three rookies joined the Express in practice at the Reyes Gym on Tuesday and Express skipper Wynne Arboleda liked what he saw.

“I think they will immediately make an impact on our team,” said Arboleda.

Air21 team manager Allan Gregorio said the Express has also been planning to sign center Carlo Sharma, Al-Hussaini’s half brother, to a one-year extension.

“Basically, we have the players we need to be competitive in the All-Filipino Cup,” said Gregorio.

“We received offers for trades to our rookies but our chairman, Bert Lina, is firm on the decision that we are not trading our top three picks. We need a new image. We need to prove Air 21 is here to stay. And make it the most competitive as it can be,” he said.

Gregorio sees the entry of Baclao, Al-Hussaini and Guevarra as a “second coming” to the time when the Express still had marquee players Ranidel and Yancy De Ocampo, Arwind Santos and KG Canaleta in 2005.

Meanwhile, Rain or Shine signed up fifth pick Joshua Vanlandingham to the maximum three-year for rookies.

Unable to get a new deal with Powerade, Marvin Cruz was snapped up by Barako Bull, which offered him a one-year deal. Paolo Hubalde and Mark Isip were also given fresh one-year deals by Barako Bull.

Comment

• Originally posted by all_about View Post
            “We’ll just wait for December when Japeth (Aguilar) returns,” Reyes added.
            hmm... so japeth is going back to the pba after the asian games? will he be missing the preparations for fiba-asia 2011?

oh wait... i think there's talk of a thorough evaluation of smart gilas after the asian games... there could be a possibility that japeth won't be chosen to play in 2011.

Comment

• maybe ranidel or williams will replace him for the 2011 fiba-asia ??? but then since Japeth is already part of TNT , if Toroman still wants japeth then TNT will probably let him stay with Gilas.

Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
              hmm... so japeth is going back to the pba after the asian games? will he be missing the preparations for fiba-asia 2011?

oh wait... i think there's talk of a thorough evaluation of smart gilas after the asian games... there could be a possibility that japeth won't be chosen to play in 2011.
              =========================================
              Anyone who wants to replace a coach because his dwarf team keeps losing against bigger teams is wishing for a miracle and should get a magician. A more practical solution is to get reinforcements unless one is content to wait a few more years in the hope that the dwarf players will grow wings and fly over their defenders. PBA reinforcements will not guarantee a championship, but it will guarantee close losses which is enough to make me happy.

Comment

• or worst do we still have the developmental team

the "smart gilas" life cycle has ended its time to pick 4-6 players to be beef uf with the pros for the national team come 2011:
                To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

• The Gilas players are all part of a pool. They are being paid and also evaluated. It is up to the management if they want to bring in some pro players. But I do believe that these pro players are for short term purposes only. After 2011, there's still the 2013 and 2015 FIBA Asia. We'll be Asian beaters by then.

Comment

• Meralco bolts

does anyone here a copy of meralco roster so far?
                    or do you also have like a copy of meralco jersey to be used?
                    thanks!
                    DEFENSE!DEFENSE!DEFENSE!
                    FOULS ARE MADE TO BE SHARED

@Black25NINJA

Comment

• Tigers not giving away Anthony
                      BY NOLI CORTEZ

ANY offer to Powerade for Sean Michael Anthony should be something tantalizing enough for the Tigers to even entertain it.

This was stated by Powerade coach Bo Perasol yesterday amid rumors some teams are eyeing the 6-foot-4 Fil-Canadian the Tigers obtained from Air21 on PBA draft day last Sunday.

"It must be something we cannot refuse," Perasol told Malaya in a phone interview yesterday.

Anthony, picked at No. 6 overall and then traded by the Express for a future first round pick, has yet to ink a deal with the Tigers but Perasol said the 6-foot-4 player will surely be signed up.

Among the teams widely reported to be interested in acquiring the services of Anthony is Ginebra, which is purportedly willing to give up Sunday Salvacion and Celino Cruz.

Perasol denied knowledge of any formal offer, but said such a package simply will not do, considering the two Kings reportedly fetch monthly salaries in the high-P200,000 while Anthony is starting in the P100,000-range.

"Hindi naman puwedeng one-sided kung ano man ang offer. Kailangan mutually beneficial, hindi ‘yung me isang aatras," Perasol said. "Besides, legit na 6-4 ito. He is a big wingman we sorely need and once he delivers, I foresee a very bright future for him."

Perasol got the chance to see Anthony in action in the Powerade tryouts that began last Tuesday. He was impressed with what he saw.

"Hindi naman automatic na magiging PBA star because offensively, medyo hindi pa skillful at hindi pa masyadong malayo ang range," Perasol added.

"But he is a good defender, a hard worker. What’s more, maganda ang attitude at iyun ang pinaka-importante. Kapag willing mag-trabaho, siguradong mag-i-improve talaga."

In a related development, Alaska yesterday signed up former slam dunk champion Elmer Espiritu to a three-year deal reportedly worth the league maximum of P8.7 million.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/09022010/sports3.html

Comment

• Cardona hopes to provide power to Meralco Bolts

By WAYLON GALVEZ
                        September 1, 2010, 4:14pm

Mark Cardona (left) is tightly guarded by Benedict Fernandez during Meralco’s first practice on Wednesday at the Ynares Center in Pasig City. Below left, coach Ryan Gregorio barks instructions as Marlou Aquino and Cardona look on. (Photo by TONY PIONILLA)

Mark Cardona, known for his offense, will have to learn to play tough defense under new coach Ryan Gregorio.

“Knowing coach Ryan, this team we’ll be a defensive team. Although I’m still adjusting, I’m excited to start this new chapter in my career,” Cardona said.

The 28-year-old Cardona left powerhouse Talk ’N Text to assume a new role as main man of the Meralco Bolts who bought the Sta. Lucia franchise.

“There’s always pressure, ’di naman mawawala ’yun. But this is our job, to win games. So for me, I just have to work hard every practice, every game,” said the six-foot-one off guard during a break in practice on Thursday at the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City.

Gregorio, who has two PBA titles under his belt, stressed the value of hard work on the first day of the Bolts’ practice.

“We might not have the same talent level as the other teams,” Gregorio said. “But from what I saw in the first few days of practice, we have a group of people who work hard. That for me is a big, big plus, knowing that hard work will always prevail over talent.”

Defense remains Gregorio’s calling card.

“We emphasize defense in our first couple of practice. They may be tired and exhausted. But this is part of the process,” he added.

Known for his trademark tear-drop shot, Cardona averaged 16 points a game last year, an impressive number considering TNT’s depth in talent.
                        A four-time All-Star, Cardona won the Best Player of the Conference (BPC) in the 2007 Fiesta Cup, and was named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the Finals when he powered the Tropang Texters to the Philippine Cup title last year.

Cardona reunited with former TNT teammates Pong Escobal and Yousif Aljamal, while joining former SLR players like veteran center Marlou Aquino, Nelbert Omolon, Ogie Menor, Gabby Espinas, Chris Pacana and Dennis Daa.

The team’s other newcomers are Beau Belga (from Air21) and Chris Ross (from Coca-Cola), as well as rookies, Fil-Am Shawn Weinstein, Bam-Bam Gamalinda, Khazim Mirza and Claiford Arao. Gregorio said he was impressed with the rookies, as well as with the 6-foot-9 Marlou Aquino, who at 37 is the team’s most senior member.

“I’m very happy with the rookies we got. The tag as rookies is only because this is their fi rst year, but they should not play like rookies,” Gregorio said.

“As for Marlou, he’s just pushing himself. I want to squeeze out whatever is left of him,” Gregorio said of his 15-year veteran.
                        LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                        Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                        THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ramzaruglia View Post
                          If they want some frontline men, why not get Chester Taylor or "Badong" Canlas? God this guy is not looking outside of the box...
                          I read that Ginebra invited Chester Taylor for a try-out. I hope Badong Canlas gets to try-out also for any team, they have the talent to compete. they just need a decent big man coach..

Go USTe! Go USTe! Go USTe! GO! GO! GO! GO! Go USTe!!!

Comment

• from Twitter:

fmango

Rumors: Billy Mamaril, Jonas Villanueva headed for BMeg Derby Ace.
                            6:30 PM Aug 31st via web

Coach Bo says he's willing to give up Anthony to BGK if he'll get Intal in exchange.
                            6:29 PM Aug 31st via web

Rumors: BGK wants Sean Anthony, ready to offer Celino, Junthy, Sunday & a few others more in exchange.
                            6:26 PM Aug 31st via web
                            LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                            Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                            THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Ginebra circa 87-88'

I hope they could bring back the "underdog" Ginebra , similar to that of the late 80s' - Ampalayo, Isaac, Gonzalgo, C & J.Loyzaga, etc.
                              Not loaded with stars but very appealing to watch since they do not have much firepower but loaded with sheer guts. (maybe 7 stars and 5 role players).
                              Aside from being cost-efficient, maybe it would be good for the SMC Group to have it's 3rd team to have a "mediocre" line-up to spice things up?

what so you think SMC Management?

Comment

• sunday salvacion traded to barako bull

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information