Fiba Asia Cup 2021 Qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
    It's no secret Gilas main problem is defense (and it is not actually interior defense), but giving up open 3's and in transition defence. Versatility in defenders and team defense is the issue. (we get lost)

That is why the comparison of individual stats that are heavily offensive focus is actually not a good measure of which players do well or not in FIBA, especially for Gilas
    Is it because of our coaches dont know how to stop it?

Or we just dont have the right personnel to do so in the past?

Will we have the right coach and personnel now up to 2023?

I am confident 2027 beyond we will already have those. But 2021-2023. I am 50-50.

Wings and Combo forwards is still lacking. And

Kai, Aj, and also thidy will miss a lot of fiba asia qualifiers games

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
      Is it because of our coaches dont know how to stop it?

Or we just dont have the right personnel to do so in the past?

Will we have the right coach and personnel now up to 2023?

I am confident 2027 beyond we will already have those. But 2021-2023. I am 50-50.

Wings and Combo forwards is still lacking. And

Kai, Aj, and also thidy will miss a lot of fiba asia qualifiers games
      the coaches know, it’s a matter of discipline.. jong knows but we know what happened, toroman knows and we know what happened chot knows and we know what happened in 2013 and not the same afterwards.. CYG knows believe it or not but we know what happened (09 and 2018)

when facing SoKors, all must be discipline enough on defense..
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
        the coaches know, it’s a matter of discipline.. jong knows but we know what happened, toroman knows and we know what happened chot knows and we know what happened in 2013 and not the same afterwards.. CYG knows believe it or not but we know what happened (09 and 2018)

when facing SoKors, all must be discipline enough on defense..
        Yes, when facing Korea, Gilas is required move actively the whole game.

The reason why Korea has a little success beyond Asia is because the European and Latin Americans and even higher tier African teams like Nigeria and Tunisia are very active in defense (masisipag dumipensa).

Korea's offense is basically designed to compete in Asian-level where teams, except Iran, Australia and New Zealand, are horrible defenders.

Being active in defense requires hardwork.
        Attack
        defend
        Unite

Comment

• Our local players don't know how to guard and disrupt cutters. They always look lost, and give up so many open threes because of that. It doesn't help that they freaking love to sag off. I think this is a coaching issue.
          #FIRECHOTREYES!!

Comment

• Tab mentioned in this interview " the one advantage Ateneo has over PBA players when facing Korea is collegiate players have the energy to chase and defend.
            Obviously Ateneo players (which did better vs Korea ) is not as talented as PBA players but yes the difference is slareral speed, energy and team defense, that really is our weakness. Do note in the OQT we gave up 92 pts on average. It really isn't the matching up is size that hurts us most, it's the defensive skill set, lack of quickness and team defense

NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
            https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• I think good defense isn’t exactly in the local basketball culture, I’ve noticed Filams come in playing harder on D than local players

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                I think good defense isn’t exactly in the local basketball culture, I’ve noticed Filams come in playing harder on D than local players
                Ryan Reyes, Chris Ross, Marcio Lassiter, Gabe Norwood, Sean Anthony, Kelly Williams, Chris Jackson, Rudy Hatfield, Nic Belasco, Davonn Harp, Asi Taulava..
                Last edited by tomcat; 10-03-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                  Ryan Reyes, Chris Ross, Marcio Lassiter, Gabe Norwood, Sean Anthony, Kelly Williams, Chris Jackson, Rudy Hatfield, Nic Belasco, Davonn Harp, Asi Taulava..
                  and Jeffrey Cariaso who has probably the best lateral defense in the PBA in the 90s and early 2000s.. Him, Dondon, and Hartfield did a good job in taking turns locking up then Korea’s ace shooter Moon Keung Eun..Unfortunately na-Lee Sang Min tayo hehe

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
                    I'm fine with Greg as our starting center.. He is now in Alabang doing some work.. could be SBP already reach him.. We can take Malonzo or other ineligible fil-ams to be our temporary naturalized player.. We can still beat Thailand twice even all cadet plus Greg and Calvin.. SBP should talk to PBA about status of Calvin.. Marcial tell that they have no problem Calvin to be in Gilas line up.. and also to IATF to grant exemption status in a likes of JGDL, Ildelfonso and Tamayo.. Hope that IATF will grant them because some young artist (ages 15-20) in showbiz industry here already in work and grant an exemption for them to work.. This is for country anyway..
                    These should be what SBP is doing right now. They need to get their acts together ASAP.

I couldn't understand what is taking IATF to give its go signal for Gilas to train/practice for the 2nd window. I understand that its going to be risky for Gilas to train but with strict observance of safety protocols during the Gilas training, I think the risk would be lessened by a significant degree.
                    "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                      I think good defense isn’t exactly in the local basketball culture, I’ve noticed Filams come in playing harder on D than local players
                      Kinda agree with you on this.

I think the key here is, having players who can do well on both ends of the floor, players who can play good defense while on the offensive end, makaka score din. I'd like to see players in the mold of Mon Fernandez, Ato Agustin, Johnny Abarrientos, Jeff Cariaso, Glenn Capacio, Dondon Hontiveros, Kelly Williams. Those are the type of players na kayang mag depensa & can also score.
                      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Among our local college players right now, the one that shows alot of promise is Calvin Oftana. At 6'5-6'6, while San Beda is forcing him at the 4 spot, i think his plays resembles more of a natural 3.

One factor that makes me think he is a swingman (2/3) is his ability to defend perimeter players. Saw some games of San Beda and Calvin and I noticed how active as player he is. He can guard the opposing quicker guards from the perimeter. He is also good back up defender in the interior.

He is defensive prowess is what I am looking for to be considered as natural swingman. IMO, the closest player to Gabe Norwood in terms of defense.

I think he can play 2, 3 and 4 positions defending on the circumstances. However, i think he will be more effective if used as a 3 in a substantial minutes while use as a 2 and 4 sporadically.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                          Tab mentioned in this interview " the one advantage Ateneo has over PBA players when facing Korea is collegiate players have the energy to chase and defend.
                          Obviously Ateneo players (which did better vs Korea ) is not as talented as PBA players but yes the difference is slareral speed, energy and team defense, that really is our weakness. Do note in the OQT we gave up 92 pts on average. It really isn't the matching up is size that hurts us most, it's the defensive skill set, lack of quickness and team defense

https://youtu.be/Gcm3zu5sIVc
                          Again its all about the make up of the Team... GILAS Coaches chooses player for Gilas as if selecting for Mythical team or All Star team... Puro scorers... Only Tab has the audacity to chose players based on the need of the team, remember on OQT when he selected Reyes and Parks over Abueva... Personally I liked the current Cadets pool, all good defenders actually from Thirdy up to Matt Nieto... Thats a good start....

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                            Again its all about the make up of the Team... GILAS Coaches chooses player for Gilas as if selecting for Mythical team or All Star team... Puro scorers... Only Tab has the audacity to chose players based on the need of the team, remember on OQT when he selected Reyes and Parks over Abueva... Personally I liked the current Cadets pool, all good defenders actually from Thirdy up to Matt Nieto... Thats a good start....
                            Reyes, Parks and Troy were odd choices by Tab but made sense later on.
                            Attack
                            defend
                            Unite

Comment

• ^ ^ ^ ^

I see oftana as having a more matured game that Kobe Paras. The latter may be more athletic & has stronger upper body than the former but I think the former has better fundamentals & has a more controlled game. What I like about Oftana is that he doesn't force things, he just let his game come to him which is a quality of a disciplined & mature player.

Sometimes I think what if Oftana played college ball in the US NCAA Div. 1? He could have been a significantly better player right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                                ^ ^ ^ ^

I see oftana as having a more matured game that Kobe Paras. The latter may be more athletic & has stronger upper body than the former but I think the former has better fundamentals & has a more controlled game. What I like about Oftana is that he doesn't force things, he just let his game come to him which is a quality of a disciplined & mature player.

Sometimes I think what if Oftana played college ball in the US NCAA Div. 1? He could have been a significantly better player right now.
                                At first, i am not that sold with Oftana being a wing but when i watch his games, i was amazed on how he has a good defensive instinct both in the perimeter and in the interior. This instinct is what i am looking for when we say quality and versatile wing.

I also agree with you sir jamskie. I like Oftana's patience in offense.
                                Attack
                                defend
                                Unite

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information