This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
    Well with that kind of thinking maybe they should have Junemar and Greg sit out games against their farm teams. This is the PBA. If you want to compete you have to spend. Again no one is forcing teams to hire 7 footers. Maybe they should just get the best players they can with their budget.
    Maybe that time they were trying to bring in some new teams. Sad to say, even now it's an open secret not every team can afford to pay up. This is why we see marquee talents being traded for a bunch of scrubs because said teams can not, or simply not willing to, pay these players the max.

But yeah, i think this cap being abolished is something that's been long overdue.
    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• The budget argument doesn't hold water. During the unlimited height conferences just a few teams managed to secure 7ft and above imports. Many still wound up getting 6'7" to 6'10" imports anyway.

Comment

• They are actually hiring taller and better imports now. They usd to hire 6'7 to 6'8 role player type of imports. Then they hired 6'9 big but slower behemoths. Now they are hiring quick and skilled 6'9-6'10 players. Jones, Ibeh, Bowles. Those are pretty good and strong imports that are challenging JF.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post
          Yeah but you don't have to hire them. At least it gives teams more options if they could afford or find some really good 7 footers. My other guess is that they would be too much for the locals
          Nope, we had 7foot imports back then but they were not as dominant as you think. The best 7 footers are either in the nba or in europe. If the pba has unlimited height only thr rich teams can afford them. The poor teams will have to make do with cheaper, shorter imports. Parity would suffer become much worse than it is.

Heres junmar against 7footer import sundov

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
            Question: Why is the PBA limiting tall import heights to simply 6'10? Why not just make it unlimited height?

I don't follow the PBA but this ruling (as with any height limitations) is just stupid.
            It's to protect our so called PBA "superstars" from being exposed. That's why I'm with you, I stopped watching the PBA years ago(when I gained experience and learned about CREDIBILITY lol). I'd rather watch ABL, heck they don't have any problem hiring 7 footers. They don't hide behind excuses that 7 footers are hard to come by and are expensive lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Juan Lun View Post
              It's to protect our so called PBA "superstars" from being exposed. That's why I'm with you, I stopped watching the PBA years ago(when I gained experience and learned about CREDIBILITY lol). I'd rather watch ABL, heck they don't have any problem hiring 7 footers. They don't hide behind excuses that 7 footers are hard to come by and are expensive lol
              This reason is the most probable. If budget is the problem, it's very easy to just put a cap on how much each team can spend on an import. Very straightforward, budget is the problem then address the budget as the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
                This reason is the most probable. If budget is the problem, it's very easy to just put a cap on how much each team can spend on an import. Very straightforward, budget is the problem then address the budget as the solution.
                i think both.. PBA offers low to imports in comparison to CBA and even to KBL.. PBA didn’t take advantage of getting imports like the calibre of rj hampton who forego 1 college season and turn pro.. 3-4 months playing in PBA then go elsewhere for them (NBL, europe)
                Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Why protect? The pba popularity was at its peak when imports were scoring 50ppgs and imports like 6'6 ronnie thompkins can shut down 6'3" pba poster boy alvin patrimonio. Imports were generally recognized to be the best players offensively and defensively in all pba teams ever since. I dont get the need to "protect" pba stars.

Comment

• well, pba, way back 2014-15 season, had still a very good gate attendance back then. the decline in gate attendance started after the takeover of chito narvasa.
                    Attack
                    defend
                    Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                      Why protect? The pba popularity was at its peak when imports were scoring 50ppgs and imports like 6'6 ronnie thompkins can shut down 6'3" pba poster boy alvin patrimonio. Imports were generally recognized to be the best players offensively and defensively in all pba teams ever since. I dont get the need to "protect" pba stars.
                      I would say PBA was at it's peak when there was still credibility in the PBA, not just because of imports.
                      7 footers impact the PBA differently compared to 6'3 - 6' 6" imports (lamont strothers, sean chambers, tony harris etc.) Imports back then dominated offensively but not defensively. PBA "superstars" like marlou aquino, jun limpot, danny ildefonso etc were unstoppable because there is virtually no interior defense in the PBA. look what happend when we finally competed again internationally, we got exposed. What happened with Danny I's unstoppable post up moves? eric menk? They were nt able to translate their game againts bigger players. That's what the PBA is scared of. They want guys like JuneMar to dominate the paint (enroute to 5 time mvp), they want James Yap's thousand moves to be effective down low. they don't want competition, they just want to protect their image as the "Best in asia". Like what tab said, in essence he was saying, because local basketball is so successful, we stopped trying to become better. Our Asian neighbors are improving while the PBA is still stuck with 90's brand of basketball.

Comment

I would say PBA was at it's peak when there was still credibility in the PBA, not just because of imports.
                        7 footers impact the PBA differently compared to 6'3 - 6' 6" imports (lamont strothers, sean chambers, tony harris etc.) Imports back then dominated offensively but not defensively. PBA "superstars" like marlou aquino, jun limpot, danny ildefonso etc were unstoppable because there is virtually no interior defense in the PBA. look what happend when we finally competed again internationally, we got exposed. What happened with Danny I's unstoppable post up moves? eric menk? They were nt able to translate their game againts bigger players. That's what the PBA is scared of. They want guys like JuneMar to dominate the paint (enroute to 5 time mvp), they want James Yap's thousand moves to be effective down low. they don't want competition, they just want to protect their image as the "Best in asia". Like what tab said, in essence he was saying, because local basketball is so successful, we stopped trying to become better. Our Asian neighbors are improving while the PBA is still stuck with 90's brand of basketball.
                        then we horrendously beaten by korea and australia. tsk tsk.
                        Attack
                        defend
                        Unite

Comment

The pba was and is still fine with imports dominating local players. The likes of Aquino, ildefonso were not dominating 6"6" imports and the pba and pba fans were fine with it. If you are pba import and cannot stop a local superstar, then you can be easily shipped out. Again, the popularity of the pba will not diminish with a dominant import. That has been proven before. If you are an import, getting import salary then you should be the best player in your team.

What does the pba achieve in JF getting 5 MVPs? Lol. Thats a personal achievement of JF against other LOCALS. That's to say that imports are measured in a different standard... a higher standard.
                          Last edited by manu_bol; 06-10-2019, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                            well, pba, way back 2014-15 season, had still a very good gate attendance back then. the decline in gate attendance started after the takeover of chito narvasa.
                            The pba decline was due to the rich teams taking advantage of poor teams affecting the parity of the league. Allowing expensive imports will further highlight this disparity.

Comment

The pba decline was due to the rich teams taking advantage of poor teams affecting the parity of the league. Allowing expensive imports will further highlight this disparity.
                              for me, 12 is now the perfect of number of participating teams in pba. maybe replace some small teams like colombian and blackwater with teams like SM, YGC, Ayala and MGC.
                              Attack
                              defend
                              Unite

Comment

That doesn't really solve the problem. And that's almost always the case in every league. Rich teams win.

So there's no chance they'll allow 2 imports again?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information