Philippines at 2019 Fiba World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
    Well I quoted the Spin article, that when interviewed Yeng was one of those who sighted Tab's appointment is against the law (I'm pharanphasing), I don't know the context of the Spin interview or question, but normally if one has no problems with Tab's appointment they would rather not volunteer that answer. There is no need to sight Tab's case with Ateneo, especially given how the public may perceive the answer as an opposition to Tab.
    No coach in Ateneo or say Camptom, Eric E, or any of Batang Gilas coaches who are OK with Tab would answer that question in that manner at the risk of sending the perception that they're against Tab

Rather not discuss here specific actions, but there is indeed a fraction in the SBP and MVP group associated with Yeng that is against Tab. It's all part of the political posturing going on internly. (details not for public comsumption I'll leave it at that, peace.
    In imho, guiao, narvasa always has this mistaken, misplaced sense of nationalism when it comes to this topic. There is a reason why the game plays in the PBA is so archaic so is the system and that is because of coaches who had never even worked at a higher level ie internationally.

Comment

I think you're confusing nationality with orientation, when one says European coach it's not referring to what is his nationality but his basketball orientation, Greg Popovich is actually a European oriented coach even if he's American and coaches in the NBA, it is about orientation, Tab is American but his influence is European. It terms of FIBA ball from a purely technical coaching level indeed European oriented coaches are more advanced than US
      Kaya nga if your really good in europe, like blatt, you will coach in the nba. My contention was that the best basketabll coaches in the world are still in the nba hence the benchmark for our basketball transfer of technology which is ex-nba or ncaa final four.

Comment

• Prediction: How many wins for Gilas for this year

Group stage: ?
        Classification: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brown Bones View Post
          Prediction: How many wins for Gilas for this year

Group stage: ?
          Classification: ?
          Group stage: 1
          Classification: 1 or 2

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
            Kaya nga if your really good in europe, like blatt, you will coach in the nba. My contention was that the best basketabll coaches in the world are still in the nba hence the benchmark for our basketball transfer of technology which is ex-nba or ncaa final four.
            It’s not always the case.

Ettore Messina is one of the best coaches in Europe but never got a head coaching job in the NBA. He has long been touted as the successor to Pop but five years as an assistant coach for the Spurs got him nowhere. He simply went back to Italy to coach Olimpia Milano in the Euroleague. The problem is you have to compete with locals who are as good as you. Then, you also have to undergo the hurdles in US labor law that make it harder and costlier to employ foreign nationals.

The same can be said for Ettore’s compatriot, Sergio Scariolo, who is still an assistant coach for the Raptors despite having led Spain to multiple Eurobasket titles. It’s not always about merit. The rule of law is never on your side as a foreign worker.
            GILAS WISHLIST:
            6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
              It’s not always the case.

Ettore Messina is one of the best coaches in Europe but never got a head coaching job in the NBA. He has long been touted as the successor to Pop but five years as an assistant coach for the Spurs got him nowhere. He simply went back to Italy to coach Olimpia Milano in the Euroleague. The problem is you have to compete with locals who are as good as you. Then, you also have to undergo the hurdles in US labor law that make it harder and costlier to employ foreign nationals.

The same can be said for Ettore’s compatriot, Sergio Scariolo, who is still an assistant coach for the Raptors despite having led Spain to multiple Eurobasket titles. It’s not always about merit. The rule of law is never on your side as a foreign worker.
              Said it so yourself, he had to compete with locals as good as him... Even the assistants in the nba is top notch.

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
                If there are quantifiables for Foreign coacjes, there should also be one for Local Coaches.. How can be say that that local has Competence to Coach? Sa Foreigners at least Final 4 US NCAA at Ex NBA Coach... Sa Locals kaya, Final 4 in Fiba Asia and Ex Champion PBA Coach, something like that...

I get the heart of this Law, that is to avaoid our Filupino Coaches from being Displaced or usurped of their right to work. But as locals, they should elevate their level of competence.. My God id you watch MPBL game, its so turnover prone, if the Coach were European, no Pinoy PG could earn minutes, lulusot sa gitna, open ang both wing for an open shot, but that PG will still drive thru phalanx of defenders for an Alahoy shot... Players in MPBL is playing basketball the wrong way...
                That's not for the courts to decide. That's for the SBP and the BCAP to sit down together and determine the criteria in the selection process for a national coach.

The one aspect that may be conveniently be forgotten is someone who's acceptable to all stakeholders concerned. That's one area that Yeng has an advantage over the rest. Of course, Tim, Norman, Jong, even Leo, may have more stellar accomplishments but that's entirely for the basketball officials to decide....

Comment

• Originally posted by reamily View Post
                  So he accepted less pay in Ateneo?
                  Yes, no choice
                  NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                  https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

NBA yes, NCAA final 4 no, even PHIL Jackson or Pop would not be a good NCAA final 4 coach
                    A Euro league or European National team coach (elite) ifamilar with FIBA, ( the competition is similar to where Gilas competes) will be better than a final 4 NCAA coach.
                    Masyadong American influence yung Pinas, which isn't not actually the situation in most countries
                    NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
                      That's not for the courts to

The one aspect that may be conveniently be forgotten is someone who's acceptable to all stakeholders concerned. That's one area that Yeng has an advantage over the rest. Of course, Tim, Norman, Jong, even Leo, may have more stellar accomplishments but that's entirely for the basketball officials to decide....
                      I would say that's the main basis of why Yeng is head Gilas coach, his acceptability to stakeholders of the PBA led national team. It is certainly not based on basketball coaching competence.
                      Which isn't the best and even right was to form a team built to win, it may be what is feasible for the SBP after the Australian brawl, but certainly not a good process ofaking decisions for the future (based on stakeholder league acceptance)
                      Especially for 2023 where a big portion of the team may not even be in the PBA

Comment

NBA yes, NCAA final 4 no, even PHIL Jackson or Pop would not be a good NCAA final 4 coach
                        A Euro league or European National team coach (elite) ifamilar with FIBA, ( the competition is similar to where Gilas competes) will be better than a final 4 NCAA coach.
                        Masyadong American influence yung Pinas, which isn't not actually the situation in most countries
                        Let them dethrone team usa first.

Kahit sa fiba, dapat malampasan nila yung championships ng us ncaa final four coach ng duke

Comment

Let them dethrone team usa first.

Kahit sa fiba, dapat malampasan nila yung championships ng us ncaa final four coach ng duke
                          You're categorising levels incorrectly, not all basketball played in US is better, there is a difference between NBA and college. Certainly NBA is better than. Euro league, but Div 1 isn't better than Euro, the top coaches in Div 1 would have difficulty getting jobs in Europe even if they wanted to

Comment

Mostly. Earl Watson was a terrible coach and communicator yet he got the suns coaching gig because Sarver wanted a cheap coach. Tyronne Lue became the head coach of the Cavs because he's buddies with Lebron. Even in the NBA there's politics involved..

Comment

• To illustrate a coach of Calapari level could bring team USA even if they're 2nd tier NBA players to an Americas championship, but he can't lead a team from Dominican Republic to the same Americas title.

Comment

• big example of an nba coach that is not successful in his stint as nba coach but successful in his fiba stints is jeff van gundy. leading a team usa composed of just g-league players to americup gold medal finished and a ticket to world cup is an amazing peat.
                                Attack
                                defend
                                Unite

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information