No announcement yet.

2019 Batang Gilas U16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see Jake Figueroa as another Jeron Teng. Perfect for PH basketball but not much else.

Comment

• Originally posted by raileebeast2 View Post
      Geo is 6ft9" but i heard would not be eligible anymore by that time due to age. I hope Kirkness will be a more improve version. Considering his size and his length . I heard he is still listed as 6ft10 inches and have not gain an inch anymore. I still feel Geo has more skills than him though I hope I am wrong.
      It is still a good news having 6ft 10 OR 6ft11 beside KAi.
      Sayang.We really need a reliable big for this team.Tolentino and Demisana would have been good contributors as well while I think NU's Jaime Vittorio Papa is not yet ready for such competition.Given those 3 mentioned earlier on the team, with a 7'' (213 cm) Tolentino,a 6'10 (209 cm) Chiu and a 6'8(?) (203 cm?) Demisana, we could have been the one of the tallest if not the tallest Asian team in the U-16 competition.Lopez will have to play the wing instead of the post.
      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
        Sayang.We really need a reliable big for this team.Tolentino and Demisana would have been good contributors as well while I think NU's Jaime Vittorio Papa is not yet ready for such competition.Given those 3 mentioned earlier on the team, with a 7'' (213 cm) Tolentino,a 6'10 (209 cm) Chiu and a 6'8(?) (203 cm?) Demisana, we could have been the one of the tallest if not the tallest Asian team in the U-16 competition.Lopez will have to play the wing instead of the post.
        I think this team could pull off small ball really well, no offense to Demisana but he’s not exactly the quickest and as he is right now more a liability, Tolentino is definitely a missed prospect but I think the length and athleticism of the wings can make them effective small ball frontliners. Unless they encounter Australia, New Zealand or China, I don’t see any country except maybe India having an athletic/ tall enough frontline to counter

Comment

• Gilas U16 has 2 Fil-African recruits I'm not sure it Francis Lopes is one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
            I think this team could pull off small ball really well, no offense to Demisana but he’s not exactly the quickest and as he is right now more a liability, Tolentino is definitely a missed prospect but I think the length and athleticism of the wings can make them effective small ball frontliners. Unless they encounter Australia, New Zealand or China, I don’t see any country except maybe India having an athletic/ tall enough frontline to counter
            I have not seen Demisana's game up close but I don't think he is Geo Chiu slow. Although we have yet to see his reaction time on defense,my guess based on his highlight vids is that he's quicker than most bigs.
            "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
              Really curious who those kids are. The team badly needs size. Hope someone can help us with the details
              The Philippines are slowly regaining the spotlight that once belonged to them: kings of Asian basketball. With the dynamic PBA and scouting and improvement programs, the National Team is reviving past success. Talk RP Basketball in our Philippines/PBA forum!

Pretty sure this was answered already
              WE DON'T COUNT YEARS, WE COUNT CENTURIES

P. Noval, A.H. Lacson, Dapitan, Espanya
              SANTO TOMAS APAT NA DAAN

Comment

• March is near. And sage recruitment is no progress. He will be ineligible I think.

Guess we just need to rely on our homegrown players, and discover the New Kai and Edu

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                  March is near. And sage recruitment is no progress. He will be ineligible I think.

Guess we just need to rely on our homegrown players, and discover the New Kai and Edu
                  “patience is a virtue”

and not all things needs to be broadcast..
                  Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                    “patience is a virtue”

and not all things needs to be broadcast..
                    he needs an hourly updates from sbp.
                    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• In case anyone missed it, the qualified teams for this year's FIBA Asia U16 tournament are as follows:

Hosts - Lebanon (47)
                      Defending Champions - Australia (10)
                      Central Asia - Kazakshtan (64)
                      East Asia* - China (14), South Korea (18), Japan (25), Chinese Taipei (34)
                      Gulf - Saudi Arabia (82), Kuwait (T-69)
                      Oceania - New Zealand (28)
                      South Asia - India (52)
                      SEA - Philippines (30), Thailand (T-69), Indonesia (T-72)
                      West Asia - Iran (26), Syria (T-72)

() - FIBA Junior Men's World Ranking
                      * - no qualifiers held, qualified teams selected based on FIBA World Ranking

If the teams on each pot are based on current world ranking, we will have the following:

Pot 1

Australia
                      China
                      Korea
                      Japan

Pot 2

Iran
                      New Zealand
                      Philippines
                      Chinese Taipei

Pot 3

Lebanon
                      India
                      Kazakhstan
                      Kuwait

Pot 4

Thailand
                      Indonesia
                      Syria
                      Saudi Arabia

FIBA uses a random draw system. I tried using the serpentine system but if FIBA will use the same playoff system as the previous tournament then it can get really wonky in the first round.
                      Last edited by judasmartel; 02-25-2020, 09:05 PM.
                      Originally posted by gideon
                      Not sure why all on here got salty when the Serbian coach said Gilas lacked any real quality. I mean isn't that glaringly obvious.

Comment

• Originally posted by judasmartel View Post
                        In case anyone missed it, the qualified teams for this year's FIBA Asia U16 tournament are as follows:

Hosts - Lebanon (47)
                        Defending Champions - Australia (10)
                        Central Asia - Kazakshtan (64)
                        East Asia* - China (14), South Korea (18), Japan (25), Chinese Taipei (34)
                        Gulf - Saudi Arabia (82), Kuwait (T-69)
                        Oceania - New Zealand (28)
                        South Asia - India (52)
                        SEA - Philippines (30), Thailand (T-69), Indonesia (T-72)
                        West Asia - Iran (26), Syria (T-72)

() - FIBA Junior Men's World Ranking
                        * - no qualifiers held, qualified teams selected based on FIBA World Ranking

If the teams on each pot are based on current world ranking, we will have the following:

Pot 1

Australia
                        China
                        Korea
                        Japan

Pot 2

Iran
                        New Zealand
                        Philippines
                        Chinese Taipei

Pot 3

Lebanon
                        India
                        Kazakhstan
                        Kuwait

Pot 4

Thailand
                        Indonesia
                        Syria
                        Saudi Arabia
                        Most important is the elimination rounds, the recent Gilas teams have been lucky to avoid Australia, New Zealand, China and Korea in the elimination rounds, Australia so far has straight up dominated the youth teams, there’s been some success but no wins with New Zealand and China is still the regional powerhouse, Korea has our number.

Comment

• I hope this does not sound ridiculous, but I have an idea for the future national team.

Rather than rallying FIBA to relax the hagop rule, the SBP should push for the senate to revise our citizenship laws.

Currently, only a person with one citizen parent can be a natural-born Philippine citizen. People who were born and raised in the Philippines to two foreign parents are not citizens of the PH.

The SBP should advocate for jus soli - those who were born in the Philippines who at least have one parent who is a permanent resident shall be a Philippine citizen upon birth. People who carry the bronze ACR card ("native-born alien" card) at the moment should be allowed to elect Philippine citizenship. Any native-born alien who is under 16 and wants to play for the Philippines will be able to.

There are a good number of Philippine-born Indians (think of Karan Singhdole, but he's a model, not cager but he is tall) who can be our tall men in basketball, but unfortunately, most of them are obky oermanent residents, not citizens.

Most Indians in the Philippines are Northern Indians (Punjabi, Sindhi) so they are tall and have beefy frames.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artek View Post
                            I hope this does not sound ridiculous, but I have an idea for the future national team.

There are a good number of Philippine-born Indians (think of Karan Singhdole, but he's a model, not cager but he is tall) who can be our tall men in basketball, but unfortunately, most of them are obky oermanent residents, not citizens.

Most Indians in the Philippines are Northern Indians (Punjabi, Sindhi) so they are tall and have beefy frames.

Good for the Philippine National Cricket Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRodster21 View Post
                              https://twitter.com/abscbnsports/sta...52131810357251

Jake Figueroa highlights, people can form their own opinions but I think hes a low ceiling player, talented yes but I don't know if his game translates in Fiba.
                              Reminds me of Rey Evangelista

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
                                Good for the Philippine National Cricket Team.
                                Philippine-born Indians are not interested in Cricket. There's a Fil-Indian league in the Philippines, but no Cricket league.

But hey, continue to isolate people who were born and raised in the Philippines, but are unfortunately non-citizens because of how expensive naturalization is.

Keep on naturalizing 35 year old foreigners who never grew up in the Philippines and be limited by FIBA rules

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information