Philippine National Teams - Past and Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by el scorcho View Post
    Wasn't this the hastily assembled team that most people thought would not win the Gold? Probably the most celebrated SEA Games Gold since it was not expected.
    I think this was a replacement team from the original group led by Dennis Espino.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
      Philippine National Team 1993
      1993 SEA Games Singapore

#4 Onchie Dela Cruz
      #5 Long David
      #6 Mike Orquillas
      #7 Harmon CodiƱera
      #8 Rodney Santos
      #9 Eric Gascon
      #10 Criz Bade
      #11 Gilbert Castillo
      #12 Peter Naron
      #13 Siot Tanquingcen
      #14 Poch Juinio
      #15 Montoy Singson

Coach: Tembong Melencio
      Onchie dela Cruz or Segundo dela Cruz

Comment

• Originally posted by alfrancis View Post
        Onchie dela Cruz or Segundo dela Cruz
        Onchie.
        Keep running, big boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by el scorcho View Post
          Wasn't this the hastily assembled team that most people thought would not win the Gold? Probably the most celebrated SEA Games Gold since it was not expected.
          Loved this team! True, expectations were low and many were afraid we would suffer another debacle, not unlike 2 stagings back in KL when we got ripped off by our then arch rivals in SEA basketball. If memory serves me right, the teams were doing their pre-game warmup and round robin and the officials slapped a technical foul against us even before the start of the game (!) because our players were dunking the ball with authority. Anything to mess up the mental game of our players.

But this 1993 team was at least, playing on "neutral" ground in SG. I was never a fan of Tembong as a coach (I love him as a player) but it was his leadership, his grittiness, will to win, and ability to perk up his wards that were responsible for this team to win the gold. Siot was a revelation in this tournament and was the unsung hero because of his pure heart. Onchie and Harmon were the two ex-pros who reinforced this lineup (by this time, pro players can now play in the amateur tourneys) as Tembong had difficulty securing the best players in the PBL at that time (Marlou, Duremdes, Cantonjos, Espino, Locsin, Evangelista, Victoria, Feihl, etc.). This was a ragtag team hastily formed by Melencio and the then BAP as the PBL, in a dispute with the BAP, opted not to lend their players.

Comment

• Philippine National Team 1982
            1982 Asian Games, New Delhi

Santiago Cabatu
            Ramon "Onchie" DL Cruz
            Artemio Gancayco
            Dante Gonzalgo
            Federico "Bokyo" Lauchengco
            Ernesto "Joey" Loyzaga
            William Pearson
            Reynaldo Perez
            Jesus Jay Ramirez
            Ranulfo "Noni" Robles
            Adonis Tierra
            Jojo Villapando

Coach: Nathaniel Canson

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay P. Mercado View Post
              Loved this team! True, expectations were low and many were afraid we would suffer another debacle, not unlike 2 stagings back in KL when we got ripped off by our then arch rivals in SEA basketball. If memory serves me right, the teams were doing their pre-game warmup and round robin and the officials slapped a technical foul against us even before the start of the game (!) because our players were dunking the ball with authority. Anything to mess up the mental game of our players.

But this 1993 team was at least, playing on "neutral" ground in SG. I was never a fan of Tembong as a coach (I love him as a player) but it was his leadership, his grittiness, will to win, and ability to perk up his wards that were responsible for this team to win the gold. Siot was a revelation in this tournament and was the unsung hero because of his pure heart. Onchie and Harmon were the two ex-pros who reinforced this lineup (by this time, pro players can now play in the amateur tourneys) as Tembong had difficulty securing the best players in the PBL at that time (Marlou, Duremdes, Cantonjos, Espino, Locsin, Evangelista, Victoria, Feihl, etc.). This was a ragtag team hastily formed by Melencio and the then BAP as the PBL, in a dispute with the BAP, opted not to lend their players.
              This tourney is where 6'3 ish Peter Naron showcased his guard-like skills. Him being that relatively tall while having those skills was rare during that time

Comment

• "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Hi guys,
                  Im sharing with you the game between Lebanon and Philippines in the Fiba Asia 1999.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lebasketball View Post
                    Hi guys,
                    Im sharing with you the game between Lebanon and Philippines in the Fiba Asia 1999.

https://youtu.be/AI55geMZST4
                    what tournament was this?
                    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• What I remember during the PBA centennial team, we were too proud of carrying the PBA brand and we were still dreaming that we are the best league in Asia. We have good up and coming semi amateurs back then with 6'9 Taulava and 6'7 Menk playing in the PBL and was fresh from his European stint as an import.around 97-98 if I remember correctly. We also have a dominant collegiate player in 6'6 Rommel Adducul who I think is as good as Espino already during that time if not better. 6'7 Danny Siegle was of course on his last year in college in Wagner and we have a young 6'2 Don don Hontiveros already but I think he might still be in the MBA during those time.

Andy Seigle and EJ Feihl could have been easily replaced by Taulava and Menk and Adducul could have replaced Limpot. Danny Seigle would easily take the place of Lastimosa while Dondon can play as a taller point guard replacing Racela. Here we have young,tall players that would have made us more competitive against the US div.1 college teams and would have made us more competitive against Korea and China.

We have these set of players who could have changed the complexion of the Centennial team but since the PBA is sponsoring the team, I doubt we would see non PBA players. We really lack the foresight back then and maybe even now and our talent scouting was really not at par as our Asian adversaries.
                      Last edited by Alex07; 08-02-2020, 09:56 AM.
                      "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by Lebasketball View Post
                        Hi guys,

https://youtu.be/AI55geMZST4
                        PHI is composed players from Laguna Lakers, a club team from MBA. PBA doesn’t care FIBA-Asia(former ABC) during that time.
                        LA Clippers(bcoz of PG13)
                        Morayta

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                          ... We also have a dominant collegiate player in 6'6 Rommel Adducul who I think is as good as Espino already during that time if not better. 6'7 Danny Siegle was of course on his last year in college in Wagner and we have a young 6'2 Don don Hontiveros already but I think he might still be in the MBA during those time.

Andy Seigle and EJ Feihl could have been easily replaced by Taulava and Menk and Adducul could have replaced Limpot. Danny Seigle would easily take the place of Lastimosa while Dondon can play as a taller point guard replacing Racela. Here we have young,tall players that would have made us more competitive against the US div.1 college teams and would have made us more competitive against Korea and China.

We have these set of players who could have changed the complexion of the Centennial team but since the PBA is sponsoring the team, I doubt we would see non PBA players. We really lack the foresight back then and maybe even now and our talent scouting was really not at par as our Asian adversaries.
                          Their professional careers don't lie. Adducul was no way better than Espino. He had a very limited offensive skill set and relied purely on brute force. This was exposed in his pre-cancer career. Norman Black said, he's not gonna overpower anyone in the PBA. Dondon, as good an offensive player that he is, lacks the handles and instincts to be a point guard. You can't convert a player who has never played the 1 position to orchestrate like a natural in a few short practices.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by shootingbwakaw View Post
                            Their professional careers don't lie. Adducul was no way better than Espino. He had a very limited offensive skill set and relied purely on brute force. This was exposed in his pre-cancer career. Norman Black said, he's not gonna overpower anyone in the PBA. Dondon, as good an offensive player that he is, lacks the handles and instincts to be a point guard. You can't convert a player who has never played the 1 position to orchestrate like a natural in a few short practices.
                            I think Adducul deserves to be in the national team with professional players even as a 12th man, he might not be better than Espino but he would be certainly more productive than Feihl not to mention Adducul represented the Philippines in the ABC all star Games(before the ABC all stars vs PBA all stars) and did a good job with his limited minutes.

Dondon has decent handles although not in the level of Abbarientos and Racela.The good thing about Hontiveros is that he will be a bigger player to guard who I believe was the South Korean point guard back then, Kang Dong Hee and Dondon could also contribute and be our outside sniper aside from Caidic.

Taulava(if he have already fixed his citizenship documents) would have been our undisputed Center even though Aquino would have been the more popular player around that time.Taulava,Menk and Seigle in the 1998 team, given a good preparation time along with the other players in the US of course, would have been a different scenario against South Korea.I think with excellent defense against The Koreans, we have a very good chance to beat them as well as China.Yao vs Taulava might be one sides but Taulava might have a better chance against Wang Zhizhi or Mengke Bateer.Taulava vs Seo Jang Hoon will be a very enetartaining match up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex07 View Post
                              What I remember during the PBA centennial team, we were too proud of carrying the PBA brand and we were still dreaming that we are the best league in Asia. We have good up and coming semi amateurs back then with 6'9 Taulava and 6'7 Menk playing in the PBL and was fresh from his European stint as an import.around 97-98 if I remember correctly. We also have a dominant collegiate player in 6'6 Rommel Adducul who I think is as good as Espino already during that time if not better. 6'7 Danny Siegle was of course on his last year in college in Wagner and we have a young 6'2 Don don Hontiveros already but I think he might still be in the MBA during those time.

Taulava was already playing for Blu Detergent in the 1997 PBL Vis Min Cup. I was hoping he'll be included in the Centennial team but didn't happen. He could have had taken the slot of Feihl who looked more like clown on the floor. Taulava was a monster in 2002, how much more at 4 years younger. He surely could have made a difference.

Cariaso should be on that team too in lieu of Lastimosa.

I would disagree with Adducul though, he's undersized at center and relied mostly on putbacks and power plays. The team was stacked with bigs already and he was no obvious better than Limpot and Espino.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfrancis View Post
                                Taulava was already playing for Blu Detergent in the 1997 PBL Vis Min Cup. I was hoping he'll be included in the Centennial team but didn't happen. He could have had taken the slot of Feihl who looked more like clown on the floor. Taulava was a monster in 2002, how much more at 4 years younger. He surely could have made a difference.

Cariaso should be on that team too in lieu of Lastimosa.

I would disagree with Adducul though, he's undersized at center and relied mostly on putbacks and power plays. The team was stacked with bigs already and he was no obvious better than Limpot and Espino.
                                i somewhat agree although i still think he'll be more useful at that time as compared to Andy Seigle,although Seigle has that fear factor being 6'10,lengthy,had somewhat of an athleticism and was a D1 product. I'm guessing you havent watched the video of the ABC all-stars vs South Korea.Adducul was there and held his own against Korea's 6'10 Seo, but there is another big with him of course.He actually had a double-double and actually was given an award that game afaik.To say the least,he was very effective.i'll try to look for the video. But to give an idea who Seo Jang Hoon was, he was considered as the 2nd best big man after Wang Zhizhi a couple of years back and he is wearing #11 jersey for Korea on this video.

Last edited by Alex07; 08-03-2020, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information