USA Women abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Women abroad

Chiney Ogwumike currently playing in Italian club championship had a spectacular performance last weekend leading her team Famila Schio to its 5th straight win with 37 pts (on 15/21 FG shooting) and 13 reb.
    She currently leads Italian championship in scoring with 25.8ppg.

Tina Charles and Angel McCoughtry led Fenerbahce (TUR) to winning the President's Cup over Galatasaray with 18 pts apiece. Charles also collected 11 reb. Kelsey Bone was high for the losers with 14.

Maggie Lucas, 2014 Penn State guard, scored 36 pts (11/18FG and 10/11FT) for Arras in the French championship.

Fw Sarina Simmons (Marquette 2013) scored 40 pts and grabbed 15 reb in Czech Republic league.

Sylvia Fowles is back to Shanghai and opened the WCBA championship with a 33 pts + 22 reb performance.
    Other WNBAers in China are, among others, MVP Maya Moore, Britt Griner (replacing Liz Cambage at Beijing) and Candice Dupree (replacing Griner at Zhejiang).

Comment

I take it the increasing number of American stars in China is a sign of decreasing money in Europe? It's a difficult life in China.
      Originally posted by Fedfan
      Most ppl get childish when they lose.
      Originally posted by GuTO
      refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Originally posted by JGX View Post
        I take it the increasing number of American stars in China is a sign of decreasing money in Europe? It's a difficult life in China.
        I guess it's more likely cause of increasing money in China. Can't say about women bball, but it's obvious that mens clubs are investing much more than before. If previously it was very rare case that some European player or well known US player, who has good name in Europe, would go to play in China, now it's nothing unusual. LT coach Kazlauskas, who was working in China for few years, said that top clubs has close to 20mln dollars budgets, which is good numbers even for European clubs. I guess similar case goin' on with womens clubs too

Comment

Agree, for sure China is economically one of the most attractive markets, even though some bizarre limitations on foreigners -so I've read- are being introduced by WBCA. F.i. they can't play the last quarter vs the two Army clubs, and there are restrictions on available spots for foreign Asia-players.
          Anyway, China as well as Russia and Turkey are the nations collecting the biggest names among US players. Then there are some exceptions like Italy (Chiney Ogwumike), Hungary (Kayla McBride, Bria Hartley) and Poland (Jantel Lavender), afaik.

Comment

These are fresh bad news from China:

Comment

In Turkish League guard Natasha Lacy scored a triple-double for Mersin, with 19 pts, 10 reb and 18 ast, her second in a few days.
              Other solid performance recorded by Courtney Paris of Istanbul Universitesi, with 23 pts and 14 reb.

Comment

Again on Turkish League, Shavonte Zellous is deadlocked on a salary dispute with her (former) team Galatasaray.
                After one of the most successful seasons in her career, leading Turkish power Galatasary to championships in both the domestic league and Euroleague, Shavonte Zellous is now embroiled in a salary dispute.

Comment

It was scary on what Griner experienced. I'm glad she's ok.
                  Sacramento Kings
                  HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
                    Again on Turkish League, Shavonte Zellous is deadlocked on a salary dispute with her (former) team Galatasaray.
                    http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/1...am-arbitration
                    It seems she and her legal representatives will escalate the case to FIBA. I'm hoping that the situation resolves soon.
                    Sacramento Kings
                    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
                      It was scary on what Griner experienced. I'm glad she's ok.
                      In fact she was back to her team and regularly played in the 2nd round scoring 19 pts (+11 reb and 6 bs).

WNBA star Brittney Griner was cut on the elbow by a man in a knife attack in China but didn't need to go to the hospital, her agent told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Comment

Candace Parker is back to action with Ekaterinburg (Rus) after undergoing a minor foot surgery and missing the recent WC.
                        She played yesterday her first internationl game in EuroLeague first leg, contributing to Eka's victory over USK Prague with a double-double (22 pts+11 reb). Diana Taurasi added 23 points for the winners.

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
                          Agree, for sure China is economically one of the most attractive markets, even though some bizarre limitations on foreigners -so I've read- are being introduced by WBCA. F.i. they can't play the last quarter vs the two Army clubs, and there are restrictions on available spots for foreign Asia-players.
                          The WCBA no longer allows for foreign Asian players this year, except for Taiwanese players, who are not considered foreign.

There's also a player with Filipino descent though, Chay Shegog, not sure if she's ever been to the Philippines.

(The 2 players from Taiwan this year, Peng Shih-ching and Pan Tzu-yin, have never played in Asian Games or Asian Championships, but Peng scored 37 in the 2nd round in a close win, indicating that her inability to make the Chinese Taipei WNT was all due to politics --- this is OT, but the Taiwanese superclub Cathay Life has won the island's championship 23 consecutive years or something, and you basically have to be on their roster to play in FIBA. Not surprisingly, most of Taiwan's best players also couldn't play in the WCBA as Cathay Life need them to dominate the local league again, which is watched by fewer and fewer people as long as they keep winning.)
                          Last edited by sinobball; 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM.
                          aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post

There's also a player with Filipino descent though, Chay Shegog, not sure if she's ever been to the Philippines.

I think that Shegog competes in China as American player, though she also has Filipino passport (so I've read). But she was born in USA and grew as 100% American player, ending her amateur career at University of North Carolina (2012) before entering the pros. Btw, she also played with the US U19 national team at the 2009 WC in Thailand.

Comment

Tianna Hawkins, former Maryland U. star (2013), scored 48 points in WCBA but her team heavily lost to Shanxi, led by 40 pts (on 13/19 FG) from Maya Moore, who also recorded 8 assists.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information