2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
    Russia did enjoy it less, I've seen lot of negative opinions regarding naturalized players, lately even players admitted that they feel way better without any naturalized players on team, i.e. such Bolomboy wasn't that welcome in NT, even tho his mother is Russian. I can't say about general opinion in Slovenia or Macedonia, cause I'm not reading their forums/comments.
    Anyway, good that at least not much people in FIBA sees nationality in national team sports as imaginary construct
    If some Russian fans online enjoyed it any less that's too bad. 2007 was the likely apex of their national team success & they'd rather harbor negativity over an imagined national construct. Joel Bolomboy wasn't welcome? Hmmm, wonder why...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Diesel View Post
      If some Russian fans online enjoyed it any less that's too bad. 2007 was the likely apex of their national team success & they'd rather harbor negativity over an imagined national construct. Joel Bolomboy wasn't welcome? Hmmm, wonder why...
      There's nothing to wonder about actually - it's national team competition, so they just follows the idea of it, the same way I do, even tho I has nothing against Bolomboy, cause his mother is at least Russian, but I'm totally against JR Holden, Kelly McCarthy, Travis Hansen cases. If you dislike that imagined national construct - that's fine, there's already competition format for your taste - it's called clubs basketball NBA, Euroleague or some other you maybe prefer has no restrictions what comes to foreign players, all is open, all 12 or more can be non local citizens. Maybe NT competition format its just simply not your cup of tea? As its build exactly for the reason to compete among nations. To decide which one is the best in one sport or another. That's the main idea of it ever since it started. What's the point in it if there'll be foreigner competing for other nation. It's like adding one older player to some u-20 youth competition. No sense at all. If you are missing a player in one given position, it's nothing but your own problem - live with it, try to cope with it, try to play differently, change the playing system, youth development system. Lithuania is short of PGs and it's also just our problem, the holes in our youth development system back in 90s. There are many ways, not try to choose the easiest one, its a shame that FIBA allows it to some degree and competition is long time not what was supposed to be, but it always can get worse, so I can live with current format

Comment

• Shane Larkin decided to play for Turkey.

I am honored and humbled to have an opportunity to represent this country by joining the Turkish National Team. Extremely excited to wear this jersey with the Turkish Flag across my chest with pride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
          Shane Larkin decided to play for Turkey.

https://twitter.com/shanelarkin_3/st...255818753?s=21
          LOL. What a joke
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Even bigger joke that Croatian federation also tried to grab him. What exactly he has to do with Croatia?

To sum up, I don't really give a damn about Slovenia, Croatia, Turkey and similar NTs, those take any random American without zero f...and as far as it goes, I really hope that kind of NTs will fail or let's say their titles are irrelevant and fake.
            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
            Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• I have the same feeling - zero respect for this and simmilar moves of some federations. One the one hand you have guys like Furkan Korkmaz and Cedi Osman which show up every fucking year since they are children, on the other hand they have to step aside for a random American year after year. This rule is one of the worst in FIBA basketball. Unfortunately there are small chances that it will be overthrown ever.

Better be last with that you have than win something with naturalization of Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                I have the same feeling - zero respect for this and simmilar moves of some federations. One the one hand you have guys like Furkan Korkmaz and Cedi Osman which show up every fucking year since they are children, on the other hand they have to step aside for a random American year after year. This rule is one of the worst in FIBA basketball. Unfortunately there are small chances that it will be overthrown ever.

Better be last with that you have than win something with naturalization of Americans.
                Despite our personal distaste for such a blatant purchase of a player, this s a nice pick-up for Turkey filling a big hole. How do you rate a Larkin Turkey vs a full strength Czech and/or a Giannis-less Greece?

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                  Even bigger joke that Croatian federation also tried to grab him. What exactly he has to do with Croatia?

To sum up, I don't really give a damn about Slovenia, Croatia, Turkey and similar NTs, those take any random American without zero f...and as far as it goes, I really hope that kind of NTs will fail or let's say their titles are irrelevant and fake.
                  You cry so much because you don’t give a damn? I’m curious what would be if you did, hehe.
                  The truth is this rule exists for ages now, one naturalization is allowed, and we have seen countries like Russia, Slovenia and Spain lift trophies with it, and many more smaller countries became more competitive. Think of Hungary, Ukraine, Finland, Montenegro.

The problem is there is only a limited number of quality Americans that are worth naturalizing, and countries like Lithuania and Serbia who have bad national leagues but good quality national players, often will not land a valuable foreigner. It is no coincidence that’s why you guys cry most about this rule. You were Lithuanian? Ofcourse you’re not going to naturalize a limited player like Walkup when he’d add nothing. Even quality guys like Davies are no improvement to Valanciunas, and if they were they only use your country as a stepping stone for something higher, in Brandons case Barcelona. Fine, don’t naturalize but stop crying as if this rule existed for only 2 years. I can tolerate a Lithuanian but I find it utter nonsense when nationalities with naturalization past also cry about Larkin. Their problem is nothing but jealousy. Let it go, this rule wont change, either profit from it or keep quiet, nobody cares about your opinion

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                    Despite our personal distaste for such a blatant purchase of a player, this s a nice pick-up for Turkey filling a big hole. How do you rate a Larkin Turkey vs a full strength Czech and/or a Giannis-less Greece?
                    It’s not a purchase, these Americans are not eligible to be recruited in their own national teams. When you’re competing with Curry, Lilliard, Irving and Walker it’s normal. But some competitive players may want to experience the Olympics or Fiba tournament. Isnt it perfectly normal? It’s not like these naturalized Americans were robbed away from the american national team for money, cut it out with those cheap rhetorics. Larkin was the one who initiated his desire to play in interviews, the Turkish federation merely acted upon that.

Comment

Are you serious with this question?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                        Are you serious with this question?
                        In what matter is a question like this a joke?

Yes, it is a serious question. I have considered Greece and Czech more viable threats in this qualifier than Turkey, I assume this makes Turkey a more realistic contender. I’m curious if posters here would consider a Turkey with Larkin a potentially better team than Greece. No need for you to answer, I’m curious about less bias posters’ opinions.

Comment

In what matter is a question like this a joke?

Yes, it is a serious question. I have considered Greece and Czech more viable threats in this qualifier than Turkey, I assume this makes Turkey a more realistic contender. I’m curious if posters here would consider a Turkey with Larkin a potentially better team than Greece. No need for you to answer, I’m curious about less bias posters’ opinions.
                          Well i didnt want to answer in the first place. Considering Czech a bigger threat cant be taken seriously anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
                            You cry so much because you don’t give a damn? I’m curious what would be if you did, hehe.
                            The truth is this rule exists for ages now, one naturalization is allowed, and we have seen countries like Russia, Slovenia and Spain lift trophies with it, and many more smaller countries became more competitive. Think of Hungary, Ukraine, Finland, Montenegro.

The problem is there is only a limited number of quality Americans that are worth naturalizing, and countries like Lithuania and Serbia who have bad national leagues but good quality national players, often will not land a valuable foreigner. It is no coincidence that’s why you guys cry most about this rule. You were Lithuanian? Ofcourse you’re not going to naturalize a limited player like Walkup when he’d add nothing. Even quality guys like Davies are no improvement to Valanciunas, and if they were they only use your country as a stepping stone for something higher, in Brandons case Barcelona. Fine, don’t naturalize but stop crying as if this rule existed for only 2 years. I can tolerate a Lithuanian but I find it utter nonsense when nationalities with naturalization past also cry about Larkin. Their problem is nothing but jealousy. Let it go, this rule wont change, either profit from it or keep quiet, nobody cares about your opinion
                            I'm not Lithuanian but we have simmilar views so I feel free to tell it from Serbian perspective. I think that Serbian federation would have all possible chances for taking a high quality player like Larkin. Larkin wanted to play for Croatia for example first but their president avoided direct negotiations. It's a state of principle. In Serbia some players even directly said that they wouldn't participate any more in national team actions if some Americans would play for us. The basketball national team is viewed as some kind of masterpiece of Serbian sport, maybe more, some thing that has been created for generations now - something cultural, spiritual, mysthical.

I don't think anyone is crying, there is also no problem, noone is jelaous, I like some Turkish players a lot and wish them all the best, they seem to be very good and well raised boys, how someone could wish them something bad if you speak about Furkan or Cedi for example? This kids are angels, it's visible in their faces.

Personally I wouldn't even follow the tournament if we naturalize a player and to me it's not important if it's some friend of Jokic or Bogdanovic from their NBA teams or some player from lower tier leagues in Serbia. We are very bad in football and what should we do now? Of course work better, try harder. That's it. Do you really want to tell me that it's the same for your if an American plays for you or a Turk? Really? Why we have national teams competitions then?

Anyways, good luck. Turkey is always interesting to watch.

PS: I just thought that maybe we are raised different in this opinion, in your country football is sport number one, here and in Lithuania it is not. I think I understand how Lithuanians watch about their national team because I spoke with them at big competitions when I met their fans and the view is the same as here. It's simply impossible. People would not accept it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Furkan Korkmaz View Post
                              It’s not a purchase, these Americans are not eligible to be recruited in their own national teams. When you’re competing with Curry, Lilliard, Irving and Walker it’s normal. But some competitive players may want to experience the Olympics or Fiba tournament. Isnt it perfectly normal? It’s not like these naturalized Americans were robbed away from the american national team for money, cut it out with those cheap rhetorics. Larkin was the one who initiated his desire to play in interviews, the Turkish federation merely acted upon that.
                              Is Turkey paying Larkin for his services? Do you think they offered more or less than Croatia?

I think what unsettles people are these very unnatural naturalizations where the player has very little to do with its new nation. I understand the naturalization of someone who had parents or grandparents from the country. Per perhaps have a wife and kids of that nationality and been living there for many years. This just comes across as outright mercenarial. More Andre Blatche type purchasing of players.

It is what it is - legal within FIBAs rules, but somewhat makes a mockery of the rule. And frankly I kind of support it for weaker basketball nations to help level the playing field. Perhaps Canada should purchase Pascal Siakam? Unfortunately the citizenship process in Canada is not governed by a dictator with a magic wand.

Comment

• To put an end to this naturalization discussion. Except two or three teams every nt is using a naturalized player. All this exceptions have the right to discuss about it but also the right doing the same so the fact of the matter is this right exists and gets used. I hope that some day we wont need a foreign point guard but it will be fun to watch this extraordinarily talented offensive team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information