Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Olympic basketball be for the U24 category ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SashKX View Post
    I talked with one Pinoy friend of mine earlier about the new format, apparently this qualifying schedule is really bad for their PBA and their basketball federation has already announced they'll be sending amateurs there, as they apparently did some time ago.
    well we can manage to send amateurs on the first 4 phases f the qualifying tournament..And we are just paranoid, we can send a club team to represent us if the competition is tough in the prelims..
    To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
    1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by SashKX View Post
      I talked with one Pinoy friend of mine earlier about the new format, apparently this qualifying schedule is really bad for their PBA and their basketball federation has already announced they'll be sending amateurs there, as they apparently did some time ago.

Well I think that more or less we all expected the most important players to miss the qualifiers.And that affects us more,I tend to believe because we'll barely see some Euroleague players (not even mentioning the NBA) there.Of course sending amateurs sucks like hell,I thought that they'd have a respectable pool of players outside of the NT. Seems like they'll make too many steps behind.
      1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
        Well I think that more or less we all expected the most important players to miss the qualifiers.And that affects us more,I tend to believe because we'll barely see some Euroleague players (not even mentioning the NBA) there.Of course sending amateurs sucks like hell,I thought that they'd have a respectable pool of players outside of the NT. Seems like they'll make too many steps behind.
        We have a very competitive pool.. good for asia pachific teams outside top seven or even 6...As we do have very good club teams more cohesive than our national team
        To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
        1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
          We have a very competitive pool.. good for asia pachific teams outside top seven or even 6...As we do have very good club teams more cohesive than our national team

It depends on how you identify "competitive".If f.e you're aiming just to qualify from Asia region,then yes I can say that you have a respectable amount of talent pool to do so.But if you want to compete against the world's best,then sorry,to my eyes you are not competitive enough.
          1997 - 2012 - 2013

Comment

Originally posted by R1ou View Post
            It depends on how you identify "competitive".If f.e you're aiming just to qualify from Asia region,then yes I can say that you have a respectable amount of talent pool to do so.But if you want to compete against the world's best,then sorry,to my eyes you are not competitive enough.
            I believe that is part of the plan. Qualify using amateur players and bring a mix of pros and amateurs in the world cup. That way, the PBA is only interrupted once every four years.
            GILAS WISHLIST:
            6'8 Pingris

Comment

Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
              I believe that is part of the plan. Qualify using amateur players and bring a mix of pros and amateurs in the world cup. That way, the PBA is only interrupted once every four years.
              FIBA will not make any changes for PBL. It is irrelevant to them.

I am sure that FIBA is aiming to make the World Cup the biggest international basketball event in the world. It would be a bad strategy to depend on the IOC in organizing the most prestigious basketball tournament. Perhaps, it can take another two Olympic cycles, but after that FIBA is going to take full control. Let's not forget that the next FIBA world cup would be in 2019. Just one year before the Olympics. It would be silly to have two consecutive World Cups. It is either the World Cup, or the Olympics. There is no middle way.
              PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                Some people are of the opinion that basketball in the Olympics should be played by players U24.
                I will try heroin to see if I can have a more idiotic opinion than the one of "some people".
                Olympics are biggest event in sports. Olympics have to be played by best athletes.

I read somewhere in the thread that "with under 24 it would be possible to have a tournament that shows young talent etc."
                So, when would we be going to see developed talents?
                Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lebowski View Post
                  I read somewhere in the thread that "with under 24 it would be possible to have a tournament that shows young talent etc."
                  So, when would we be going to see developed talents?
                  Continental and World Championships, national team qualification tournaments and of course Euroleague, NBA and domestic leagues etc. etc.
                  PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

No.

It has become the most prestigious and iconic international tournament of basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakkreth View Post
                      No.

It has become the most prestigious and iconic international tournament of basketball.
                      To us. That's the thing. The younger generations could give a shit about the Olympics or its prestige.

Comment

Originally posted by CHBB View Post
                        To us. That's the thing. The younger generations could give a shit about the Olympics or its prestige.
                        To players. That's the thing

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                          To players. That's the thing
                          Are you sure about that though? With so many young players deciding to skip the Olympics? Personally I think the tide is turning to allow a sea change to happen. But that's just me.

Comment

Are you sure about that though? With so many young players deciding to skip the Olympics? Personally I think the tide is turning to allow a sea change to happen. But that's just me.
                            considering how many of those players are rookies or have legit reasons to skip (like new babies or injuries) Nah.

Comment

Sakkreth wrote that Olympics is the most prestigious tournament. You replied that to us, I added that to players too. I'm more than sure about that. That money takes over I wrote in my first long post here. More and more players are skipping pre-WC continental champs and WC itself. But so far I don't see smth like that happening with Olympics, there always were few players who chose money/career over playin' for their NT in Olympics. Actually I don't know many young players who withdrew this year, only Australian Simmons and Brazilian Nogueira comes to my mind. All other guys who aren't there are injured or coach choices

Comment

Originally posted by Steadysoul View Post
                                considering how many of those players are rookies or have legit reasons to skip (like new babies or injuries) Nah.
                                Except most of them weren't. Like Lillard, for starters.

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                                Sakkreth wrote that Olympics is the most prestigious tournament. You replied that to us, I added that to players too. I'm more than sure about that. That money takes over I wrote in my first long post here. More and more players are skipping pre-WC continental champs and WC itself. But so far I don't see smth like that happening with Olympics, there always were few players who chose money/career over playin' for their NT in Olympics. Actually I don't know many young players who withdrew this year, only Australian Simmons and Brazilian Nogueira comes to my mind. All other guys who aren't there are injured or coach choices
                                What I'm saying is the Olympics since the Dream Team days have been the exception to the rule of most great players not playing for their national teams. I can very easily foresee a future where that is not the case, and I think it is starting.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information