Stern: age limit on Olympics basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
    The article implied that the whole world, as in all professional players in the world that are over 23 should be banned from international competitions after the 2012 Olympics. If the NBA really pushes this and FIBA agrees to it, then it's time to remove FIBA as the power that controls international basketball.
    I agree with Norcal on this the author is only speaking of the US being U23. You can tell with these quotes.

Because it serves as a reminder: there's no point in putting together any more "Dream Teams." You want the biggest reason to support an under-23 structure? Forget the players' exhaustion. They get paid the rest of the year and get to market themselves while representing their country. It's a burden, but it's both an honorable and profitable one. Forget evening the competition. The U.S. has no obligation to make it easy on the world.

(Though there is a reason to embrace the under-23 stipulation. This is a country where we cherish the challenge. Form your own nation. Free yourself from British rule. Build an economy. Build a military. Defeat the Axis powers. Fly to the moon. Make a movie about a board game. We are made to challenge ourselves.)
    He's saying that while we shouldn't go to U23 to make it easier on the world, Americans would probably enjoy it more as we could be underdogs again. Meaning the rest of the world would still be full strength.
    Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Here's an interesting read on what a hypothetical Team USA U-23 team will look like if sent one to the London Olympics.

What would Team USA under-23 Olympic team look like?
      Sacramento Kings
      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
        Here's an interesting read on what a hypothetical Team USA U-23 team will look like if sent one to the London Olympics.

What would Team USA under-23 Olympic team look like?
        Now this article definitely implies the entire thing being U23.
        Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
          I agree with Norcal on this the author is only speaking of the US being U23. You can tell with these quotes.

He's saying that while we shouldn't go to U23 to make it easier on the world, Americans would probably enjoy it more as we could be underdogs again. Meaning the rest of the world would still be full strength.
          You are both interpreting it wrong. They are talking about ALL players for ALL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympiacos View Post
            You are both interpreting it wrong. They are talking about ALL players for ALL teams.
            Read the article again and quote which sentences or paragraphs you are interpreting the writer as saying all teams should send under 23 players. I don't see the evidence and you haven't quoted anything from the article.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal View Post
              Read the article again and quote which sentences or paragraphs you are interpreting the writer as saying all teams should send under 23 players. I don't see the evidence and you haven't quoted anything from the article.
              It's just the way the whole article is written. The tone to me is clearly implying making the international tournaments 23 and under, not just for the USA, but everyone. I am reading between the lines maybe, but nonetheless, that is the idea that they are pushing. That is what they are implying.

Comment

First of all, you have your rules wrong, the NBA does not have an arrow, they have a jump ball. So no, FIBA did not take their arrow thing from the NBA.

Second of all I think it is pretty clear what Stern is asking for is U23 Olympics and all players can play in FIBA World Championship, just like soccer. What is wrong with this?

Comment

Originally posted by jiggawhat View Post
                  First of all, you have your rules wrong, the NBA does not have an arrow, they have a jump ball. So no, FIBA did not take their arrow thing from the NBA.

Second of all I think it is pretty clear what Stern is asking for is U23 Olympics and all players can play in FIBA World Championship, just like soccer. What is wrong with this?
                  What is wrong with it, is that the NBA commissioner should not be the one who decides these matters. I am sorry, but Stern's stranglehold on the sport of basketball has gotten totally ridiculous.

Comment

Where does it say he is deciding this? He suggested it that is all

Comment

Stern was interviewed before Game 3 and from what I saw, didn't seem like he is all out for the U23 notion. He only said it's a possibility that should be discussed, while giving credit to guys like Dirk and Scola for their commitment for their NTs.
                      aim low, score high

Comment

US sports media at it again, pushing for whatever Stern and Cuban want.

For the use of its most marketable players, the league office and many NBA owners are determined to create a financial partnership with FIBA for a World Cup that would allow the NBA to significantly share in the windfall of revenues.

"The owners would be a lot more comfortable letting star players play internationally if they’re sharing in the revenue," one league source told Yahoo! Sports.

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban told Yahoo! Sports he isn’t aware of the NBA’s specific intentions in possibly moving its star players to the rebranded World Cup, but says he has lobbied for much more complete control of the tournament. He sees no reason to partner with FIBA or anyone else. He wants the NBA to own, operate and profit on a global tournament using the league’s stars.

"The question is: Why would we partner with a current tournament rather than start our own?" Cuban said. "If done correctly, it can be NBA-owned and operated and have the potential to be just as large as the World Cup of soccer. That is a product, in my opinion, we want to own, not share.

“I don’t know what the NBA plan is, but the above is what I will be pushing for."

This is ridiculous. This has to be stopped now. This is going too far. Where does he come off thinking the NBA should own the world basketball tournament? This guy is insane with greed and ego. Cuban is just unbelievable with his arrogance that he thinks an NBA owner should decide how the world basketball tournaments are run and who controls them.

The international federations better put these guys Stern and Cuban in their place, before they buy off the people at FIBA. I bet the next article from US sports media will be how Stern and Cuban are instituting all NBA rules for the tournaments, which can only be reffed from then on by NBA refs, and that the games can only be played in the USA, and that only NBA players are invited, etc.........
                        Last edited by Olympiacos; 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Is mark cuban the anti-christ !!!

For those of you who don't know who mark cuban is you are not missing much. He is a chubby , egomaniac who is trying to destroy Fiba all in the devilish name of profit!! what else is new about a greedy american businessman destroying a well run business so he can cash in. Remember the guy who prohibited Dirk Nowitzki from playing for Germany , thats him , or the guy who doesn't want bouboise or mahimi to play for france. Thats him again ! or how about the guy who is whispering in David Sterns ears to only allow players 23 and younger to play in the Olympics or who want's to deny International players their God giving right to play for their nations ,all in favor of Globalization. Thats him again!!! Now he want's a world cup run by the NBA were the owner like him profit. We already have the world championships. Why do we need a world cup to fill your pockets ?This man is a creep the NBA does not need and most important Fiba does not need him either ! It is up to us Fiba basketball fans to stand up and speak up . We dont want mark cuban in our sport. go buy the chicago cubs and screw around with baseball and leave basketball alone. People like mark cuban are the reason international players are reconsidering joining the NBA. making them make the sophie's choice of club or Country. This man has made it his mission to destroy Fiba and international basketball . Lets stop him now before its to late!!

Comment

While I agree that its probably unfair if the NBA controls world basketball tournaments, it's silly to pretend that Europe doesn't have greedy owners either. If a European club or league had the market power to do this then they would go after the $ as well. People everywhere are interested in money, not just Americans.

Comment

While I agree that its probably unfair if the NBA controls world basketball tournaments, it's silly to pretend that Europe doesn't have greedy owners either. If a European club or league had the market power to do this then they would go after the $ as well. People everywhere are interested in money, not just Americans.
                              No-one is blaming Americans. Apparently Cuban is American, that's all. Any other greedy owners would be criticised as well. You totally miss the point and you put Americanism in the mix just because you're American. You should see things in a different light.
                              Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

it's silly to pretend that Europe doesn't have greedy owners either. If a European club or league had the market power to do this then they would go after the $ as well.
                                At least the two top clubs in Greece Olympiakos and Panathinaikos are far from profitable. The owners of these two clubs are spending the money they earn from their real-life buissnes in their hobby basketball. So instead of buying a cruising yacht, they buy basketball players.
                                You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information