X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain leaves Sergio, Cabezas off Olympic Team

From FIBA: link

Rubio, Lopez and Garba included for Spain – Sergio, Cabezas out
    MADRID (Olympics) – New Spain coach Aito Garcia Reneses has dropped Sergio Rodriguez and Carlos Cabezas and included 17-year-old Ricky Rubio and veteran Raul Lopez in his squad for the Olympics.

Aito has also made a stunning decision to name Jorge Garbajosa, despite the world champion having hardly played this season with Toronto following a leg operation.

The other eight players from last year’s silver-medal winning squad under former boss Pepu Hernandez – Jose Manuel Calderon, Juan Carlos Navarro, Rudy Fernandez, Alex Mumbru, Carlos Jimenez, Pau Gasol, Felipe Reyes, Marc Gasol and Berni Rodriguez – are named.

Pamesa Valencia’s Victor Claver, Polaris World Murcia’s Juan Jose Triguero and Akasvayu Girona’s Victor Sada are on stand-by.

Aito, making his first comments to the media following his appointment at the weekend as Hernandez’s replacement, spoke about the exertions of Pau Gasol in the NBA Finals with the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I hope the players will arrive with the best physical and mental condition in order to do a great job in our preparation for the Olympics,” said Aito, who stepped down as DKV Joventut Badalona coach after the season.

"We will need to give Pau Gasol time to rest and get ready. We have other players who have contractual disputes that we need to resolve as soon as possible.

"This issue does worry me, as does the possible incorporation of Jorge Garbajosa.

"Garbajosa needs to find his physical condition for a player and we don't want to wait to the last minute to know whether he will or will not be able to play.

"Berni, like Victor Claver, will be available should they need to replace Garbajosa."

Not being selected is another setback for Rodriguez, who spent a disappointing year in the NBA with the Portland Trail Blazers.

After a promising rookie season, he received little playing time. Aito is confident that Rubio, his guard at DKV, and the return of Raul Lopez will be adequate back-ups to Calderon at the point.

"Ricky has had a lot of merit,” Aito said. “He is a unique case. He made his debut in the ACB at the age of 14 and has achieved a lot. It's pretty clear what his qualities are and he can help national team.

“The quality of Raul cannot be disputed. This year (at Real Madrid) has been positive for him. He is a player that can read the game very well, with a ver
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

It's sad to see Sergio Rodriguez not make the national team, but on the plus side, I'm glad that Ricky Rubio did. I'm not sure if Gabajosa is physicly fit to play. Spain will need it's 12 players to be in their best shape of their lives to take the gold home.

Comment

I'm surprised about Cabezas, but, for Sergio, no, absolutely not. McMillan wasted him. let's hope he won't do the same with Rudy.
      It's a bird? It's a plane? No, it's Rudy!

Comment

Originally posted by damelo
        I'm surprised about Cabezas, but, for Sergio, no, absolutely not. McMillan wasted him. let's hope he won't do the same with Rudy.
        I agree with u , but i truly believe that Rudy is now much more prepared to make himself a place in the Blazers than Sergio.
        And about Sergio, this is so so sad. He's technically one of the most talented pg's that ive ever seen, and McMillan is wsating that talent in a really painful way. Imo he should inmediately look for a trade to be the 2nd pg of any team that could assure him 12-17 min per game. If he cant find that team, he should come back to Europe asap.
        I KISS BASKET

Comment

I don't know much about Rubio but Raul Lopez is certainly not as good as Cabezas.

Comment

Originally posted by Waneko
            I don't know much about Rubio but Raul Lopez is certainly not as good as Cabezas.
            He now is imo. Watch some Rubio vids in Youtube, you'll be amazed.
            Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Uff, im seeing this topic right now. I didnt agree at all with Aito decision, I would never had left Cabezas off the team. He is an intelligent and important player who playes differente bb than Calderon, and sometimes his contribution is decisive. I like Raúl, but i wouldnt have picked him
              GASOLDEPENDENCE.... I love it

Comment

Hello friends, I would like to recommend you a cool website that helped me in writing my research paper MasterPapers, From the moment I got to their website, I felt that I was in good hands. Thanks to the user-friendly interface, it was very easy for me to navigate through their offerings. What impressed me the most was the wide range of topics they cover. No matter what subject you are studying, they most likely have a research paper tailored to your needs. In addition, the quality of their work is top-notch. I have used their services several times and each time I have received nothing but praise from my professors.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information