This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -K2-
    According to Alberto Garcia, one of the top ranked officials of FIBAAmericas, Greece, Puerto Rico and Korea are the early favorites to get the event.

According to him, Puerto Rico's advantage is that we can organize an event, and that a 2:00PM game here would be primetime in Europe. Greece advantage is that its a centrical country, and many of the nations are close to Greece.

Article
    How is it possible to have favorites when the official bidding process hasn't even begun according to Fiba themselves... doesn't sound very fair to me.

Stuart
    http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
    http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
    http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart
      How is it possible to have favorites when the official bidding process hasn't even begun according to Fiba themselves... doesn't sound very fair to me.

Stuart
      Life is not fair
      ask Venezuela
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by -K2-
        Life is not fair
        Thanks dad!

Stuart
        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Team Grouping in the Olympic Qualifying and the '08 Olympics

I'm really looking forward to see how FIBA will group the countries in the Olympic Qualifying and in the '08 Olympics. In the past many of the basketball fans has always complained the grouping of teams is not fair. Sometimes you'll see for example, Group A might have a strong team with weaker teams and advance easily to the next round. Group B might have all strong teams preventing the other stronger teams to get in the next round so that weaker teams can have a chance to win in the next round. Does anybody knows how FIBA group teams into the different groups? Is it a fair process? Do they pull a card out of a hat? I guess no matter how FIBA group these teams, you cannot satisfy everyone and people will still complain. What are your thoughts?

Comment

Group A
            Europe 1
            Europe 4
            Americas 2
            Americas 3
            Asia 2
            Africa 1

Group B
            Europe 2
            Europe 3
            Americas 1
            Oceania 1
            Asia 1
            Africa 2

I guess seeding-wise that would be ok
            sigpic

Comment

Just posting this for information and because it's on today's newspaper and only God knows when this info will be available again...

Puerto Rico through history .vs.
              Slovenia 0-1 .000
              Greece 1-5 .167
              Germany 2-2 .500
              Lebanon 1-0 1.00
              New Zealand 0-1 .000
              Brazil 29-15 .659
              Canada 23-8 .742
              South Korea 3-0 1.00
              Total 59-32 .648
              Puerto Rico has never played against Camerun, Cape Verde or Croatia

Against Europeans: 3-8 .273
              Against Americans: 52-23 .693
              Against Asians: 4-0 1.00
              Against Oceania: 0-1 .000
              Against Africa: 0-0 .---
              Last edited by J-Mart; 09-20-2007, 04:54 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Argylex
                Nothing personal Hepcat
                But with your 2007 roster, you surely have no hope... With Nash (mostly) and Magloire in, things will change. But will they be in the Olympic qualifying tournament?
                No problem. Leo Rautins could always suit up himself and play the defence the way he's chalked it up on the board.

Comment

Europe’s golden basketball dream in Beijing rests on a chosen few
                  source: sportingo.com

Spain, Russia and Lithuania have already booked their places at next year's Olympics – now the battle is on for Slovenia, Croatia, Germany and Greece to join them in the quest for glory. We assess their chances.
                  We all know Russia stunned Europe by winning the Eurobasket gold in Spain last weekend. What has been a low key fact among all of this is that the number of European teams competing for Olympic gold in Beijing has been pared down to just seven. The most notable omission from the list is Tony Parker’s French team, who not only lost the showdown for seventh place at Eurobasket against Slovenia, but also lost the opportunity to take part in the final Olympic qualifying tournament next summer.
                  There are two groups of teams who are still in the hunt. Spain, Russia and Lithuania are guaranteed a spot at the Olympics. As mentioned before, Spain were the very first qualifiers, getting in by virtue of winning the world championships last summer. Russia and Lithuania received an automatic berth as the top two finishers outside of the hosts at Eurobasket.
                  The other group of teams, Greece, Germany, Croatia and Slovenia, have booked their spot at the final qualifying tournament before the Olympic event itself. While these teams are not guaranteed a berth outright, their Olympic dreams still live on as they live to fight another day.
                  With only a year left until the main event, and with memories of Eurobasket’s fine competition still fresh, here is a look at the European teams that still have a shot at gold in Beijing:

1. The guys who have yet to make it:
                  Slovenia
                  They grabbed the last spot for the qualifier, by upsetting the French in a game that was close until a barrage of three-point shots from Jaka Lakovic to lead a 24-6 run at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Slovenia are a dangerous team, mainly because they force a slower tempo and they have a perfect blend of inside-outside basketball. It all starts with NBA centre Radoslav Nesterovic. He is a rock under the basket, a truly powerful post player who demands regular attention. Surround him with shooters who take rather good care of the ball and you get this Slovenian team. Their lack of depth might be their biggest shortcoming, but an Olympic berth is not out of the question, although they would need the best performances from each and every one of their players to achieve that feat.
                  Croatia
                  A real disappointment at the Eurobasket tournament. Croatia lacked any kind of style on their way to a sixth-place finish. The youth movement for Croatia began with last year’s world champs and for this tournament they boasted a roster with only two players born before 1980. Ex NA draft picks Zoran Planinic, Mario Kasun and Roko Leni Ukic, and current NBA roster space holder Damir Markota headlined the team. However, it was Zalgiris Kaunas’s Marko Popovic who provided most firepower. I really do not know what this team will be capable of because, for such a young roster, another year of experience could mean a whole lot. And the fact that they get some extra “bonding time” in next year’s qualifiers, could turn into a blessing down the line.
                  Germany
                  They managed to get the berth for the qualifiers, but do not think for a minute that Germany are happy about the way this Eurobasket tournament unfolded for them. With reigning NBA MVP Dirk Nowitzki leading the way, the Germans were hoping for a medal finish. Nothing could emphasise that more than the fact that they resisted the urge to start a youth movement and they got guys like Ademola Okulaja and Patrick Femerling once again to don the national jerseys. Mind you, it might have been the last time you see some of these players in a Germany shirt. Throughout the tournament it became an outright fact that this is a one-man show. Nowitzki simply got too little help from his team-mates for a medal finish. It really shows the NBA MVP’s greatness that they got to 5th spot, because the rest of the team did not look like they deserved it. Of the younger players, DKV Juventut’s Jan Jagla did have his moments. Germany will have to decide whether to go forth with the youth movement before or after the Olympics. It is an important decision that could shape German basketball’s future.
                  Greece
                  Much the same team that surprised the USA last year at the world champs were here for Eurobasket. The one notable omission, fan favorite Sofoklis Schortsianitis, was not around to amuse us with Europe’s version of the Shaq attack. This is a well put together team that goes into the qualifiers as a favourite to get a berth. Greece’s game is purely team-oriented, so to name any leaders would be foolish, as any one of them has been able to step up when the team needed it. The games they lost? Well, to put it simply, the opposition were better and had a deeper bench each time.

2. See you in Beijing
                  Lithuania
                  The first team to be truly stunned by the Russians. Lithuania’s game has always been smooth; it has always been about ball movement and involving every player on the court. That said, players like Ramunas Siskauskas and Sarunas Jasikevicius are simply invaluable. Jasikevicius is Europe’s version of , Carlos Arroyo – he makes you wonder how come he plays so well in the international game while being so bland in the NBA? Ever since the Sydney Olympics Lithuania have proven to be a team capable of winning it all. In Australia they came close to being the first outfit to beat the Dream Team, and they may very well do it this time around in Beijing.
                  Spain
                  Kings of the world but not of their own continent. Spain represent one of the powerhouses in basketball, right up there with the USA and Argentina. Pau Gasol is fast becoming one of the smartest, most dependable players in the world and his supporting cast is a selection of shooters, playmakers and hustlers. In other words, Spain have all of the tools to be able to bring back gold from Beijing.
                  Russia
                  Surprise, here are the the new kings of Europe. Since the fall of the Soviet Union Russia have not been able to rack up a gold medal in basketball. Until now that is. Andrei Kirilenko’s team started clicking at just the right time. Players like Viktor Khryapa and Sergei Monia helped out the Utah Jazz star who deservedly got the tournament MVP crown. If the team’s chemistry was not just a sudden rush of good form,then they can have serious hopes about that Olympic gold.

Comment

According to sport-express Lithuania will play in the qualifying tournament too.

But the article is so badly written that i think the russian journalist must have had 5 vodkas before writing it.

Originally posted by parso
                    Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                    Originally posted by sseppel
                    it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                    Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                    Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Due the fact that Slovenia was also considering hosting the event Slovenian media reported that FIBA requirements for hosting this pre-Olympic qualifying tournaments are:

- arena for at least 8.000 visitors
                      - tournament budget at least 4.3M€
                      - FIBA takes the money from TV rights sale and not the country (basketball federation) which hosts the event
                      - some wierd restrictions about the advertising of/on the event

The decision which country will host the event will take part on 9th of December 2007 when FIBA will have a meeting about this issue.

Crazy requirements if you ask me, especially that one with 4.3M€ tournament budget...
                      Last edited by elaj; 10-09-2007, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elaj
                        Due the fact that Slovenia was also considering hosting the event Slovenian media reported that FIBA requirements for hosting this pre-Olympic qualifying tournaments are:

- arena for at least 8.000 visitors
                        - tournament budget at least 4.3M€
                        - FIBA takes the money from TV rights sale and not the country (basketball federation) which hosts the event
                        - some wierd restrictions about the advertising of/on the event

The decision which country will host the event will take part on 9th of December 2007 when FIBA will have a meeting about this issue.

Crazy requirements if you ask me, especially that one with 4.3M€ tournament budget...
                        that budget could be covered to some large extention if the organisers would be able to sell the tv rights (add some sold tickets, some sponsors and you're there somewhere)... without that, it can practicaly be described as buying your NT a spot at the olympics for 4.3 million €

if that summ is actually the budget, I failed to understand it that way than only thing I can say is: finally... I just hope Fiba will start to take care of their NT competitions a bit better (they are making lots of money there and should act accordingly) and cases like slovenian NT (in one of it's most complete versions) playing vs. Czech's in Prostejov in some 50 years old gym with capacity of 500 and 100 visitors... won't be happening again...
                        Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                        That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                          the russian journalist must have had 5 vodkas before writing it.
                          I get a feeling half of the posters here have this problem..

Lithuania is in. I sincerely don't understand how half of the posts read as if they were written two years ago by a random text generator. I understand why our British friend has problems, but others..

Originally posted by alermac
                          I think FIBA should try to keep both teams from being in the same group, at least. Iran decided not to play the 2005 U21 WC, they put some lame excuse but the reason was they had to play Israel.
                          there was a very good interview with the Al-Jazeera reporter once (in our papers, during the Eurobasket). this TV-station group is supposedly showing all Euroleague games, most live, they also showed all Eurobasket games (had 8 reporters on spot, would you believe it..), they show a lot of NBA games, Spanish, Greek league games and so on. but they never ever showed and will not show any games by Maccabi or by the Israel NT. and this is a huge international network we're talking about.
                          anyways, I don't know if anybody should make exceptions because of that. I'm really not sure if this would be democratic or something completely the opposite. on the other hand, Israel, as a European state, has ~zero chances to reach Olympics or World championships in any forseable future, imho.
                          k
                          stop russia

Comment

Originally posted by Matiz
                            ... without that, it can practicaly be described as buying your NT a spot at the olympics for 4.3 million €
                            Welcome to reality...

The press here and FIBA Europe president it take it for granted that it will be hosted in OAKA by the way, money isn't the issue for Greece as the Greek government would finance everything that would make the rich richer and the poor poorer...

Originally posted by parso
                            Gomelsky doesn't know @@@@ about basketball
                            Originally posted by sseppel
                            it's not asking too much for someone to know where the fuck he is.
                            Originally posted by UMUT_FB_LAL
                            Scola makes me wanna touch myself, no homo

Comment

Originally posted by ArkadiosV2
                              Welcome to reality...

The press here and FIBA Europe president it take it for granted that it will be hosted in OAKA by the way, money isn't the issue for Greece as the Greek government would finance everything that would make the rich richer and the poor poorer...
                              Exactly.In a NBA/Europe broadcast last night it was said that Greece is the top favorite 2 host the qualifying tournament and the one who could pull a surprise would b Brazil.
                              Your time is up my time is now,
                              you can't see me my time is now...

"Basketball is like the church. Many attend it, but few understand it"

If u smell what the G.L. is cookin'...

The Demon of Greek loby is here!

Comment

4 groups not 2

The system of competition for the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men will be as follows:

Preliminary Round:

The 12 participating teams will be divided into four groups (A, B, C and D) of three teams each. Each team will play all the other teams in its own group. The teams placed 1st and 2nd in each group will play in the Quarter-Finals; the teams placed 3rd in each group will go home. A total of 12 games will be played in the Preliminary Round.

Quarter-Finals:

Game 13: A1 vs. B2
                                Game 14: B1 vs. A2
                                Game 15: C1 vs. D2
                                Game 16: D1 vs. C2

Semi-Finals:

Game 17: Winner 13 vs. Winner 15
                                Game 18: Winner 14 vs. Winner 16

The two winners will qualify for the Olympic Games. The two losers will play in the Finals the game for the 3rd place (Game 19 below) for one remaining qualifying place.

Finals:

Game 19: Loser 17 vs. Loser 18

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information