This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
    Reminds me slower, but more of a center Motiejūnas. Looking forward to see him in upcoming years, 16yo basketball is still not that stage to judge player's potential.
    The only similarity between Domantas and Donatas is that they're both lefties. And their names start with "D", which is not ... Sabonis doesn't have a shooters touch so to speak... But he's much more capable on the defending end. Plus he likes finishing strong, that's why he's got a lot of 2+1 so far. He's not Valanciunas, but he's quite good at pick'n'roll. He's a good rebounder due to his height, but he needs to add some athleticism, plus he struggles with positioning sometimes, thing, that he can learn from Sabonis Sr, who had perfected the skill and was undisputed leader in this department among big men IMO.
    People don't come with instruction manuals, that's why to figure them out, you have to press their buttons...

Comment

• Does anyone know where this summer Taurus Jogėla is? whether he practiced with any U.. team? He was once considered to be very talented. what happened to him? I somehow missed it
      Remember September 2003!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by arturcia View Post
        Does anyone know where this summer Taurus Jogėla is? whether he practiced with any U.. team? He was once considered to be very talented. what happened to him? I somehow missed it
        He is now 19yo, so this summer he isn't eligible for U18. Maybe Maskvytis could bring him to U20 instead of T.Sabonis
        Now you can find him in Adidas summer camp in Kaunas.
        BTW yesterday he played for ASC Team against Iceland NT and scored 6 points.
        Antradienį 19 val. Vilniaus „Siemens“ arenoje įvyks Lietuvos vyrų rinktinės palydėtuvių į Londono olimpines žaidynes mačas, kuriame mūsų šalies rinktinė išmėgins jėgas su Islandijos krepšininkais.

Comment

• U-18 European championship stars 18 CET. Lithuania- Greece broadcasted by TV 6.

One of the leaders Tomas Dimša injured. But I'm most interested in Marius Grigonis. He's coming after some surgery - not fully prepared. However it's going to be interesting. The guy can pass and create from what I've seen.
          LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
          Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
          Buzelis, Lelevicius
          Murauskas, Sirvydis
          Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Much was made of how the "high dribble" of Mantas Kalnietis may have contributed to his turnovers in the 2012 Olympics. Kalnietis is 6'5" so his dribble may indeed be relatively high for a PG. I see that the greatest PGs in the NBA in the last twenty years, Isaiah Thomas, John Stockton, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, etc, have only been between 5'9" and 6'4" in height.

My question is whether Lithuanian youngsters who aren't very tall are effectively being discouraged from continuing in basketball? But the best point guards tend to be shorter fellows so how can good PGs be developed?

Comment

But I'm most interested in Marius Grigonis. He's coming after some surgery - not fully prepared. However it's going to be interesting. The guy can pass and create from what I've seen.
              Yes, but the guy can't shoot threes for his life. 2/17? Why does takes threes if he can't make them?

Comment

• Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                Yes, but the guy can't shoot threes for his life. 2/17? Why does takes threes if he can't make them?
                He was shooting 36% from downtown in NIJT. Not the best, but decent numbers. I think he has mechanics, solid high release, he can work here. He probably knows he can hit them if he takes it. Lithuania will need his and Tamulis best effort in most important games, so why not to try to get a rhytm in the group stage that was pretty easy.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• This under 18 team looks really solid.
                  I hope they do get to play in under 19 WC next year too,if my calculations are right.
                  I watched our under 16,17 and 20 this year and got a bit depressed .
                  No one outstanding .
                  But i hope this team can prove me wrong
                  And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

• Originally posted by auris1 View Post
                    I watched our under 16,17 and 20 this year and got a bit depressed.
                    Are you kidding me? Domantas Sabonis was great for U-16! He pulled down 27(!) rebounds against Poland. He averaged 14.1 ppg, 14.4 rpg and 2.4 apg in that tournament. This guy is following in his father's footsteps for sure. I doubt that he'll reach his father's potential, but he could surpass Jonas.

U-20's team was pretty good too. Although no one is superbly talented on that team, the guys played great as a team. You're right about the U-17 team - they sucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                      Are you kidding me? Domantas Sabonis was great for U-16! He pulled down 27(!) rebounds against Poland. He averaged 14.1 ppg, 14.4 rpg and 2.4 apg in that tournament. This guy is following in his father's footsteps for sure. I doubt that he'll reach his father's potential, but he could surpass Jonas.

U-20's team was pretty good too. Although no one is superbly talented on that team, the guys played great as a team. You're right about the U-17 team - they sucked.
                      Wow, that's a brave statement. Let's not forget Jonas lead his NT to gold and was MVP of U-16 European champ. He also was MVP of U-18 campionship (gold) and MVP of U-19 WC (gold). Not to mention some extreame performances in U-17 Champ like 37 points, 19 rebounds, 4 blocks against France. I doubt Domantas has a fair chance to compete with that.

However, I think Domantas Sabonis stood out as the most interesting talent after Motiejunas/Valančiūnas this summer.

From U-20 we already have Valančiūnas in the NT. It's very rare if 3 or 4 players make NT from one youth generation (though this generation might be exactly the exception). If you got one real talent in the team - that's great. People constantly overrates youth teams - for example Serbia's youth teams doing fine year by year and people come and say Serbia has super bright future? Where are these super talents? One Teodosič left as world class material...

From U-19 I think Lithuania should have some hopes on Grigonis, Dimša, Tamulis. No single chance for any other to make NT, IMO. Point guards are horrible of this NT as well. Grigonis might be a little bit of ball hog, but he's clearly the best option at 1 in this team while he has power forward body. Since we have a lot of SGs, I would love to see Grigonis becoming NT material and playing some point guard.

However, I think we saw only one sure future NT member this summer - Domantas Sabonis. All others are in question.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                      Murauskas, Sirvydis
                      Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Wow, that's a brave statement. Let's not forget Jonas lead his NT to gold and was MVP of U-16 European champ. He also was MVP of U-18 campionship (gold) and MVP of U-19 WC (gold). Not to mention some extreame performances in U-17 Champ like 37 points, 19 rebounds, 4 blocks against France. I doubt Domantas has a fair chance to compete with that.

However, I think Domantas Sabonis stood out as the most interesting talent after Motiejunas/Valančiūnas this summer.

From U-20 we already have Valančiūnas in the NT. It's very rare if 3 or 4 players make NT from one youth generation (though this generation might be exactly the exception). If you got one real talent in the team - that's great. People constantly overrates youth teams - for example Serbia's youth teams doing fine year by year and people come and say Serbia has super bright future? Where are these super talents? One Teodosič left as world class material...

From U-19 I think Lithuania should have some hopes on Grigonis, Dimša, Tamulis. No single chance for any other to make NT, IMO. Point guards are horrible of this NT as well. Grigonis might be a little bit of ball hog, but he's clearly the best option at 1 in this team while he has power forward body. Since we have a lot of SGs, I would love to see Grigonis becoming NT material and playing some point guard.

However, I think we saw only one sure future NT member this summer - Domantas Sabonis. All others are in question.
                        It was U-18. Jonas has never played in U-17 World championship (and he had no chances because U-17 championships started only in 2010, I think....).

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post

Sabonis will never become as good as Valančiūnas only because of one fact - physical abilities. In basketball athletism has very big importance. Sabonis isn't very athletic, explosive and etc.

Originally posted by macleopard13 View Post
                        Why do you comment when you clearly don't know anything about player? Grigonis was shooting well all last season in both NKL and NIJT...he has good shooting mechanics, can make shots. If he had problems making shots in few games here, it doesn't mean he can't make them.

In Olympics Kalnietis was making 29% of his 3-point shot attempts...while in LKL he made 53%... so what conclusions would you make about him? He shouldn't attempt 3-pointers at all, right?
                        I'm on twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by sagenas View Post
                          Sabonis will never become as good as Valančiūnas only because of one fact - physical abilities. In basketball athletism has very big importance. Sabonis isn't very athletic, explosive and etc.
                          This is the reason i did not mentioned him - he is very well developed for his age and he knows how to pick position too,granted here,hence all rebounds.
                          Pretty decent shot,not so good from free line.

athletism
                          That is a big question for me.
                          it all depends of how tall he will be,i guess.
                          He added 6 cm in a year to be 206 ,so this might affect his lack of athleticism and coordination.
                          But if he stays same hight ,he would be in ,my opinion, too slow for modern game.
                          but ...
                          if he can grow to 215 or above,then speed would not matter that much.His dad was growing up till he was 20,so we will see.
                          round 210 - slow power forward?
                          He reminds me of Einikis somehow,the pace he plays.So if he could master killer hook shot,then...

So for me there is too many maybes for now
                          And let that be a lesson to you all. Nobody beats Zalgiris 17 times in a row.

Comment

It's very rare if 3 or 4 players make NT from one youth generation (though this generation might be exactly the exception). If you got one real talent in the team - that's great. People constantly overrates youth teams - for example Serbia's youth teams doing fine year by year and people come and say Serbia has super bright future? Where are these super talents? One Teodosič left as world class material....
                            I don't think Serbia is a good example for such a phenomenon though. The problem with Serbia's national team in the last ten years has not been any lack of talent. Serbia has for a couple of decades now generated all kinds of NBA talent. The problem for Serbian basketball has been melding these diverse talents into a team and finding a system that would take full advantage of the players' talents on the court. Whether it's players' egos or a coaching problem or some other shortcoming of Serbian basketball, the whole has not exceeded the sum of the parts for Serbian basketball in the last decade.

Comment

• Grigonis was the LeBron James of our team today - stepped up when he was needed the most. Thanks to him! Still, I wouldn't say he's a candidate for our senior team for another two years - especially because of his poor three-point shooting ability, strength and decision making, which results in many turnovers. He has to work on those things.

Tamulis also bricked many shots today. Defense wasn't super. He's not ready to try out for our senior NT anytime soon.

Everyone else is of LKL/EuroChallenge caliber at this point.

Comment

• Good news! Čižauskas going to ACB - loaned to Valjadolido „Blancos de Rueda“. Hopefully he gets playing time in one of the best leagues in the world.

Buzelis, Lelevicius
                                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information