Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
    Ah ok.

Yung worry ko lang kasi eh magiging tapunan ng mga "laos" na player ang Filbasket just like what MPBL & Vis-Min Cup are. Obvious naman that the level of competition in MPBL & Vis-Min Cup are way way below than the PBA. And also hindi rin naman for developmental players ang MPBL & Vis-Min Cup since most of the players there are above 30 years old. Watching games in the MPBL & Vis-Min Cup, you'll see a lot of players 30 to 40 pounds overweight & talagang way beyond their primes na. Its really an eye-sore, to be honest.

Pag tyagaan ko nalang talaga ang PBA.
    Hey dude, I watched the video earlier and yes plenty of things are more clearer. At least from the video, Filbasket seems to be in the right, progressive direction. I hope you watched it because it was really well made and in depth from the type of owners they are looking for and etc. Based from the video at least, it seems that they are planning to do a lot of great things. I hope that the level of players of FilBasket will not be similar to the MPBL level. Hopefully from the get go, Filbasket’s level should only be below the PBA overall.

I do hope that the PBA will just change. Their problems honestly are easily fixable in a week and a day for SMC if Ramon Ang wanted too.

Comment

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to basketball. Is it true there can't be two pro leagues in one country? (acc. to FIBA)

Comment

Originally posted by KanagawaNo1PG View Post
        Hi guys, I'm fairly new to basketball. Is it true there can't be two pro leagues in one country? (acc. to FIBA)
        Pede naman, as long as there is only 1 top-level league ( Division 1 or Premiere League). All the other pro leagues can co exist pero they should a level below than the top flight league. Like PBA is Div1, and Vis-Min is 2nd Div. ( btw, Vis Min has been granted full professional status that's why they can play during this pandemic)

During the late 2000s, Japan had 2 competing pro leagues. the older JBL and the upstart BJ League. JBL was the one recognized by the Japanese Basketball Federation and FIBA, but BJ League was aggressively expanding, and thus employing more players. So markets and players were divided, and if players play for the BJ League they cannot play for the NT and FIBA sanctioned competitions.

So while the players were getting richer, the NT is suffering as they cannot get the best players. So FIBA intervened and suspended Japan until the 2 pro leagues merge and eventually they did and formed the B League.

Comment

Originally posted by Dotch View Post
          During the late 2000s, Japan had 2 competing pro leagues. the older JBL and the upstart BJ League. JBL was the one recognized by the Japanese Basketball Federation and FIBA, but BJ League was aggressively expanding, and thus employing more players. So markets and players were divided, and if players play for the BJ League they cannot play for the NT and FIBA sanctioned competitions.

So while the players were getting richer, the NT is suffering as they cannot get the best players. So FIBA intervened and suspended Japan until the 2 pro leagues merge and eventually they did and formed the B League.
          Thanks! I'm not familiar with the rules. So were the rules different back then? Something like only players from FIBA recognized leagues are allowed to play in FIBA? Or is it similar to what's happening to us now where SMC just doesn't want to lend its players? lol.

Comment

Thanks! I'm not familiar with the rules. So were the rules different back then? Something like only players from FIBA recognized leagues are allowed to play in FIBA? Or is it similar to what's happening to us now where SMC just doesn't want to lend its players? lol.
            As long as there is only 1 top-level league ( Division 1 or Premiere League). All the other pro leagues can co exist pero they should be a level below than the top flight league. Like PBA is Div1, and Vis-Min is 2nd Div. ( btw, Vis Min has been granted full professional status that's why they can play during this pandemic).

SMC can always say we are supporting the NT, and they have a sponsorship deal with SBP (the logo of Miguel Beer is at the back of the jerseys), and we're allowing the players, but the players themselves have the final decision if they want to play or not.

So it's going to be hard to prove that SMC against the NT.

Comment

As long as there is only 1 top-level league ( Division 1 or Premiere League). All the other pro leagues can co exist pero they should be a level below than the top flight league. Like PBA is Div1, and Vis-Min is 2nd Div. ( btw, Vis Min has been granted full professional status that's why they can play during this pandemic).

SMC can always say we are supporting the NT, and they have a sponsorship deal with SBP (the logo of Miguel Beer is at the back of the jerseys), and we're allowing the players, but the players themselves have the final decision if they want to play or not.

I actually only follow the UAAP and then UAAP/Ateneo x Gilas 😅 Do they have a clearcut criteria on what's div 1 and what's div 2? I think PBA players are definitely still more skilled, but what happens if the next generation of players move to Filbasket and they surpass PBA? Is that possible? I was hoping for UAAP players to enter this league instead of PBA, as well as our Bleague exports once their contracts are over.

Comment

Grabe so in the end diay, FilBasket cannot overtake the PBA in the near future? If ever in a decade or so I guess we should expect nalang a similar situation to Japan like you said earlier yung JBL and BJ League. I do hope though na it will never reach that point.

I actually only follow the UAAP and then UAAP/Ateneo x Gilas �� Do they have a clearcut criteria on what's div 1 and what's div 2? I think PBA players are definitely still more skilled, but what happens if the next generation of players move to Filbasket and they surpass PBA? Is that possible? I was hoping for UAAP players to enter this league instead of PBA, as well as our Bleague exports once their contracts are over.
                Nice thinking man, I don't think there is a specific criteria of what's division 1 and 2. We really have the same questions man especially if FilBasket can surpass the PBA. So far from what we know it seems like a similar situation to Japan will happen one way or another. We need more clarification in the coming weeks/months.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevy View Post
                  Grabe so in the end diay, FilBasket cannot overtake the PBA in the near future? If ever in a decade or so I guess we should expect nalang a similar situation to Japan like you said earlier yung JBL and BJ League. I do hope though na it will never reach that point.
                  PBA may be forced to merge with the upstart league IF FilBasket become too popular and all / most of the marquee players are signed by FilBasket. Long shot, but not impossible.

Comment

PBA may be forced to merge with the upstart league IF FilBasket become too popular and all / most of the marquee players are signed by FilBasket. Long shot, but not impossible.
                    Ah I see. Either way, I just hope that whatever happens, Philippine basketball will continue to move up.

Comment

I actually only follow the UAAP and then UAAP/Ateneo x Gilas 😅 Do they have a clearcut criteria on what's div 1 and what's div 2? I think PBA players are definitely still more skilled, but what happens if the next generation of players move to Filbasket and they surpass PBA? Is that possible? I was hoping for UAAP players to enter this league instead of PBA, as well as our Bleague exports once their contracts are over.
                      If ever this happens in our lifetime (which I would most likely welcome, but highly doubt), I hope the 2 leagues meet, talk it out, and agree if not to a merger, at least to something that would entice PBA to take FilBasket under its wing, merge it with D-League to create 2 more lower divisions, with both lower leagues' existence supported by the main league, just like the minor league system in the MLB or the NBA with G-League.

If ever the above scenario happens, I hope the other leagues like Vis-Min and MPBL would still continue to exist albeit only as retirement leagues, and that the Philippine NBL would become the true grassroots league.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodbi View Post
                        If ever this happens in our lifetime (which I would most likely welcome, but highly doubt), I hope the 2 leagues meet, talk it out, and agree if not to a merger, at least to something that would entice PBA to take FilBasket under its wing, merge it with D-League to create 2 more lower divisions, with both lower leagues' existence supported by the main league, just like the minor league system in the MLB or the NBA with G-League.

If ever the above scenario happens, I hope the other leagues like Vis-Min and MPBL would still continue to exist albeit only as retirement leagues, and that the Philippine NBL would become the true grassroots league.
                        I doubt the PBA will do that. I think it will look at Filbasket as an enemy.
                        sigpic

Comment

i hope the companies that left the pba will support filbasket: ayala corp, gokongwei, Tan group of companies.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by live_evil View Post
                            i hope the companies that left the pba will support filbasket: ayala corp, gokongwei, Tan group of companies.
                            currently employed at one of LTG's companies and from the looks of it. i think they are already contented with the NBA teams sponsorship for the 5 teams.

Comment

Oh, yan talaga wish ko.
                              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

I doubt the PBA will do that. I think it will look at Filbasket as an enemy.
                                Most likely. And I bet PBA would find ways to "kill" Filbasket as soon as possible. Kumbaga eh, better to kill the lion while it is still a cub, kasi pag malaki na yan, mahirap ng patayin.
                                "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information