Philippines in King Abdullah Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by empyreanmaze View Post
    I think Ildefonso and Juan GDL are much more trigger happy than Paras. Players like Kobe Paras and Francis Lopez seems to relish on fastbreak opportunities and defensive stops over slow, tactical offensive sets, Paras would've done well in the US with this style of play if he didn't have any personal issues and I'm guessing Lopez will do well there in the future. These are 2 guys I see that would greatly capitalize on the broken plays of the opposing team espescially in the later quarters when the opponents are more exhausted.

We've never really been known as a team that capitalizes well on fastbreak opportunities, that can usually be blamed on our inferior size which takes a toll on defense and offense as the game goes on. Teams like Iran and Korea imo are still a big big problem for us, espescially Iran: https://youtu.be/jZIabtoplug it's no coincidence that these 2 teams are elite in the fastbreak and they get a lot of fastbreak opportunities because of their length and mobility on the defensive end, this Iranian team got like the 6'6-6'8 Abuevas/Pingris we've been looking for in their roster and they can shoot too. Tab has mentioned taking away Korea's fastbreak was the key to our 2 victories against them but imo more than taking it away, we need to return the favor tenfolds and maybe our future games against Korea would be decisive victories instead of coming down to the wire, I see Paras and Lopez as the key players in making that happen.

Nothing inherently wrong with being a scorer, every decent basketball players are scorers, it just comes down to how the coaching staff and the players themselves maximize their scoring methods and opportunities. With Ildefonso's good numbers(8pts4asts), I bet he'll also discover the most optimal way to score in the very near future. I don't think Tab's system is necessarily a system that discourages "scorers", it just emphasizes that you need to calibrate your sniper scope before you start shootin and tootin, I don't think Tab's system discouraged Sotto from shooting wherever tf he wants on the floor.
    Well said!

Originally posted by neo View Post
    do we have a game today and what time?
    9pm against Jordan B

Comment

• I think Justine Baltazar is the perfect player archetype to demonstrate the kind of players that Tab's system wants to create.

Comment

• Saw in the highlights that Saudi's big guy Mohammed Alsuwailem scored on several inside playes off Kouame's defense & checking the back score, Alsuwailem finished 18 pts. It strikes me that maybe Kouame didn't do a good job defending Alsuwailem in the post. Maybe Kouame was just too cautious of risking himself into foul trouble since he doesn't have Kai Sotto to back him. Also, Kouame had to pace himself knowing that he only have a Geo Chiu as his back-up.
        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
          Saw in the highlights that Saudi's big guy Mohammed Alsuwailem scored on several inside playes off Kouame's defense & checking the back score, Alsuwailem finished 18 pts. It strikes me that maybe Kouame didn't do a good job defending Alsuwailem in the post. Maybe Kouame was just too cautious of risking himself into foul trouble since he doesn't have Kai Sotto to back him. Also, Kouame had to pace himself knowing that he only have a Geo Chiu as his back-up.
          That's interesting after I checked out the box score, dude only missed 1 shot. Well played for him but collectively we did a great job on defending KSA (62 points) compared to Jordan A (81 points).

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
            Saw in the highlights that Saudi's big guy Mohammed Alsuwailem scored on several inside playes off Kouame's defense & checking the back score, Alsuwailem finished 18 pts. It strikes me that maybe Kouame didn't do a good job defending Alsuwailem in the post. Maybe Kouame was just too cautious of risking himself into foul trouble since he doesn't have Kai Sotto to back him. Also, Kouame had to pace himself knowing that he only have a Geo Chiu as his back-up.
            Kouame actually graduated, if I got the box score correctly, so his plan to not risk himself didn't quite work.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulrenzo View Post
              To be honest, I would be pleasantly surprised if Chiu develops "non-traditional" big skills, such as outside shooting. Right now, I see him as a more traditional 4/5 in terms of potential.
              Yes bro. It's not improbable considering that Geo is still 20 years old and under Tab's tutelage. Kung si Justine nga na 24 years old center na-develop nila into a wing player. Convert those baby fats into muscles, personal training program or a couple of big man training camp in the US or Europe will be also welcome. Actually I don't really mind if he stays being a traditional big as long as his mobility improves and develops a reliable three ball and mid range game. Imagine a 6'9-6'10 Dennis Espino. That is how I envision Geo after a few years in the Gilas program with a number of FIBA forays under his belt. Can't help being optimistic because of Balty and Tamayo's growth trajectory so far.

Comment

• Breakdown for Gilas vs KSA

Comment

• It'll be great for Gilas if Dwight, Dave and Thirdy can learn how to alternate from the PG spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by empyreanmaze View Post
                    I think Justine Baltazar is the perfect player archetype to demonstrate the kind of players that Tab's system wants to create.
                    which is why Tab went out of his way to get the services of Justine even talking to his handlers.
                    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by FITL View Post
                      Been dreaming of this scenario ever since. Even during his rookie year in the PBA it wasn't too late, but now it definitely is. If only SMB was more ambitious but they were content to let him turn into a plodding, heavyset center, without taking advantage of his skills and previous natural quickness. It's a shame.
                      He is the best Pinoy ever in the PBA, leading SMB to several championships. SMC achieved their goal. To them nothing is bigger than the PBA. The rest are distractions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jupitersa View Post
                        It'll be great for Gilas if Dwight, Dave and Thirdy can learn how to alternate from the PG spot.
                        My exact thought, those 3 seems like a world cup recipe as our guards

Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                        which is why Tab went out of his way to get the services of Justine even talking to his handlers.
                        I hope he can do the same for Josh Lazaro and Kyle Ong.

Comment

• Originally posted by cocoyg View Post
                          He is the best Pinoy ever in the PBA, leading SMB to several championships. SMC achieved their goal. To them nothing is bigger than the PBA. The rest are distractions.
                          Happy for him in that regard, he deserves that title. He could have been so much more is all I'm saying. Leo Austria would outright discourage him from taking outside shots or taking the ball from outside, and even convey that message to the media to further discourage him. But anyway, past is past, and I'm happy for Junemar that he has everything he needs and more as a result from his career, sayang lang potential.

Comment

• Tunisia vs KSA
                            48K views, 312 likes, 59 loves, 114 comments, 46 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Jordan TV Sport - القناة الرياضية الأردنية: مباراة | السعودية x تونس ضمن بطولة الملك عبدالله الثاني لكرة السلة...

Comment

• Tunisia wins against KSA:
                              72-59

Comment

• Originally posted by Stevy View Post
                                Tunisia wins against KSA:
                                72-59
                                Is Salah Mejri in the lineup?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information