Carl Tamayo thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
    I respect your opinion but, having seen him play in U19 WC, Tamayo is a capable 3 in my eyes.

He just needs to play the position more.

I agree with this,isntead of discouraging the man,let him show what he's bringing in this tournament,I think Tab and Jong saw something about this kid,that impress them even they're already loaded in the 3 position.

Comment

• If Baltazar is being given a chance to play wing. I think Carl should be given the same "chance" too.

Japeth and Troy had their Chances. They failed.

One positive thing din kasi is we can move down Dwight in Guard Positions ( His natural position) if we will have enough 3 man.

Dwight is being forced to play out of position also.

I hope the best for Balti and Carl. They probably our best 4 now (I will treat Kai and AJ Center this time) in Gilas prospects. But if they can play 3, it will give more versatility

Comment

• Not necessarily , the main requirement is ability to guard the wing, which is really super stretch for Tamayo

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
          Not necessarily , the main requirement is ability to guard the wing, which is really super stretch for Tamayo
          ditto with baltazar.

i can see tamayo improving on that aspect more than baltazar.

but tamayo as a 6'7 rdo with better handles is not bad.

Comment

• Speaking of defending the opposing team's small forwards, will Tamayo be able to keep in step the with likes of Mohamed Jamshidi, Rui Hachimura or a Ding Yanyuhang?
            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• ^
              No and what if a team uses a 2/3 as they normally do at SF, like NZ uses Te Rangi.. sobrang iwan yan

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
                Speaking of defending the opposing team's small forwards, will Tamayo be able to keep in step the with likes of Mohamed Jamshidi, Rui Hachimura or a Ding Yanyuhang?
                Can Tamayo even effectively guard stretch 4s or traditional 4s? I kinda forgot how he did on that end. Is defense one of his strengths?

Comment

Speaking of defending the opposing team's small forwards, will Tamayo be able to keep in step the with likes of Mohamed Jamshidi, Rui Hachimura or a Ding Yanyuhang?
                  We'll never know if we don't give him a chance.
                  GILAS WISHLIST:
                  6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by DAdmiral View Post
                    ^
                    No and what if a team uses a 2/3 as they normally do at SF, like NZ uses Te Rangi.. sobrang iwan yan
                    Who do you want to play sf sir?

Thirdy????

I really feel Thirdy is undersize at SF position. He is like 6'1-6'2.

Maybe, I prefer to stick with Dwight at SF if no choice.

As for Tamayo. If Coach Tab is giving Baltazar a chance to convert in to wing. Why Tamayo will not given the same chance?

Anyway, Are we talking about Wing SF or Wing PF?

I get the point of sir analyzed of "We cannot afford to play a SF without enough mobility and versatility". But for me, we cannot also play an SF who is way way undersize like Thirdy or Abando.

Comment

• For the record.

Are we expecting our Local 6'5-6'6 Candidates SF to be a Justin Brownlee like Kinda player?

If it is. I think it will be too much of an expectation for our 6'5-6'6 players who wanted to play in wings.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                        For the record.

Are we expecting our Local 6'5-6'6 Candidates SF to be a Justin Brownlee like Kinda player?

If it is. I think it will be too much of an expectation for our 6'5-6'6 players who wanted to play in wings.
                        Too much of an expectation if we're talking about Justin Brownlee skill level, but if we're talking about Justin Brownlee skill-set, then its just fair & logical. Brownlee's skill set is perfect for a small forward.
                        "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

Too much of an expectation if we're talking about Justin Brownlee skill level, but if we're talking about Justin Brownlee skill-set, then its just fair & logical. Brownlee's skill set is perfect for a small forward.
                          lol Justin Brownlee? They might as well get drafted in the NBA if they ever achieve that feat.

I’ll be happy if we have a battalion of 6’5-6’6 kids who have BRP’s skillset.
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Speaking of Justin Brownlee. This is his nba draft prospect scoutimg report

Comparison: Joey Graham

Strengths: Highly skilled forward with inside/outside versatility. Played an undersized 4 at St. Johns, making up for height shortcomings with strength and a large wingspan. Smooth athlete with impressive agility. Operates at maximum efficiency in the high post where he acts as an offensive facilitator. Views the game a step ahead and knows where his teammates are on the floor (1.9 assists on isolation based team). Playmaker off the dribble, facing up bigger defenders and slashing to the bucket. Finishes with his off (left) hand with regularity avoiding shot blockers. Can withstand a bump and complete the play. Extremely comfortable with short and mid-range jumpers (49.4% FG). The fadeaway/fadeback is a natural shot for him, particularly in the center of the court. Upper body strength to hit wrong-footed jump shots. Utilizes the window when called for. Converted 18 college three’s. Anything but a conventional scorer (12.3 ppg)- more improvisational in style. Moves well without the ball. Pushes the rock on defensive rebounds with capacity to handle coast to coast. Active defender with aggressive intentions (1.1 stl). High defensive motor.

Weaknesses: Does not fit into a true NBA position mold- closest to a SF. His 6’7 listing is being kind and will likely be exposed during measurements. A solid run/jump athlete, but lacks the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter exclusively. He can’t body up pro 4’s, and doesn’t possess the explosion to finish or board in the paint amongst the trees. He does many things adequately, but no standout skill. Goes through games of invisibility and passivity. Attempted a shockingly low 2.8 free throws per contest- with his build, that’s borderline unacceptable (granted, St. John’s was zoned quite often). Out of control at times and casual with the rock. Prone to getting stripped, putting the ball down in congested areas (2 to). Releases his jumper on the way down, resulting in line drive trajectory. Enhanced three-point arc will not be his ally (34%, 0.5 makes). Tendency to fall into predictable patterns with his moves, repeating the same or similar maneuver play after play. Struggled to exert himself on the backboards in the sizable Big East (5.2 rpg). Appears stiff defensively, standing too upright in the post.

Specializing in drafts with top players on the NBA horizon, player profiles, scouting reports, rankings and prospective international recruits.

Having a 6'6-6'7 with this skill set is great. I

If we have 6'6-6'7 with this skill level. It will be a dream come true.

But yeah. Even 6'6-6'7 BRP skillset will be sufficient

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                              Speaking of Justin Brownlee. This is his nba draft prospect scoutimg report

Comparison: Joey Graham

Strengths: Highly skilled forward with inside/outside versatility. Played an undersized 4 at St. Johns, making up for height shortcomings with strength and a large wingspan. Smooth athlete with impressive agility. Operates at maximum efficiency in the high post where he acts as an offensive facilitator. Views the game a step ahead and knows where his teammates are on the floor (1.9 assists on isolation based team). Playmaker off the dribble, facing up bigger defenders and slashing to the bucket. Finishes with his off (left) hand with regularity avoiding shot blockers. Can withstand a bump and complete the play. Extremely comfortable with short and mid-range jumpers (49.4% FG). The fadeaway/fadeback is a natural shot for him, particularly in the center of the court. Upper body strength to hit wrong-footed jump shots. Utilizes the window when called for. Converted 18 college three’s. Anything but a conventional scorer (12.3 ppg)- more improvisational in style. Moves well without the ball. Pushes the rock on defensive rebounds with capacity to handle coast to coast. Active defender with aggressive intentions (1.1 stl). High defensive motor.

Weaknesses: Does not fit into a true NBA position mold- closest to a SF. His 6’7 listing is being kind and will likely be exposed during measurements. A solid run/jump athlete, but lacks the lateral quickness to defend on the perimeter exclusively. He can’t body up pro 4’s, and doesn’t possess the explosion to finish or board in the paint amongst the trees. He does many things adequately, but no standout skill. Goes through games of invisibility and passivity. Attempted a shockingly low 2.8 free throws per contest- with his build, that’s borderline unacceptable (granted, St. John’s was zoned quite often). Out of control at times and casual with the rock. Prone to getting stripped, putting the ball down in congested areas (2 to). Releases his jumper on the way down, resulting in line drive trajectory. Enhanced three-point arc will not be his ally (34%, 0.5 makes). Tendency to fall into predictable patterns with his moves, repeating the same or similar maneuver play after play. Struggled to exert himself on the backboards in the sizable Big East (5.2 rpg). Appears stiff defensively, standing too upright in the post.

Specializing in drafts with top players on the NBA horizon, player profiles, scouting reports, rankings and prospective international recruits.

Having a 6'6-6'7 with this skill set is great. I

If we have 6'6-6'7 with this skill level. It will be a dream come true.

But yeah. Even 6'6-6'7 BRP skillset will be sufficient
                              Isn't Brownlee just in the 6'4 range?

Anyway who's our best 6'6 to 6'7 prospect? Is it Harris?

Comment

• This is almost the same argument when Tamayo played in the U19,that he won't be able to keep up at that point of FIBA level.Now that he received additional skills level coaching,and senior Gilas team training,I believe he will show another level in this tournament.We need to see the boy play first,I rather see him in that position than sending a 6'2-6'4 SF.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information