X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
    Yes I agree we need a long term plan and prep to be competitive

My point prior wasn't that we don't need more preparation, but the suggestion that we had less prep than most teams. Again I will get blasted time and time again if I suggest our talent level isn't yet at that level. It's the talent level that is the main difference as Tab mentioned. It's really not to be demeaning or anything it's just reality.
    That doesn't mean we can't shorten the gap difference
    maybe talent isnt really the main problem. i would assume its not about the talent but more about the skill which can be attributed to development.

what tab was trying about to do with gilas is personal development through training as well as exposure to elite level competition which is what is actualy really necessary.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
      apples and oranges situation. gilas doesnt have the luxury of having elite players like the boomers. boomers players doesnt play in a league where it runs 10 months every year.
      i’m not comparing the 2 countries..
      Philippine Malditas to FIFA Womens World Cup 2023

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        I don't want to play killjoy bro but I suggest we temper our expectations on Kobe P.

Poorman version of Watanabe, maybe. But Kobe P. being in the same level of Watanabe? Kobe P. needs a big turnaround of his career to achieve that. Lots & lots of hard work.
        Definitely bro. I meant watanabe-like in terms of role, someone who can matchup with big combo forwards and can provide pressure on both sides of the court. Level of skill--very far indeed. I dont expect KP to be in the NBA anytime soon lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonifacio View Post
          Just imagine...if Tab says na kalbo si Yeng....PBA can say that his statement is detrimental to the PBA league......even if it's in the rule book of PBA, I dont think that should be allowed and I think that they can be sued.

In addition, who can say that a particular statement is detrimental to the league,,,,it could actually be constructive criticism and could actually improve the league.
          Most likely call of the commisioner. That's why Tab contacted Marcial directly to air his side. Gatong lang to sila chua and CYG.

Would like to emphasize that Marcial did not do a good job in handling this issue. Very unprofessional. Also, they (Marcial and Chua) jumped on this comment way too fast, makes me think that there's a motive to discredit Tab moving forward. Power struggle perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
            Most likely call of the commisioner. That's why Tab contacted Marcial directly to air his side. Gatong lang to sila chua and CYG.

Would like to emphasize that Marcial did not do a good job in handling this issue. Very unprofessional. Also, they (Marcial and Chua) jumped on this comment way too fast, makes me think that there's a motive to discredit Tab moving forward. Power struggle perhaps?
            It wasn't even about the obvious PBA's lack of support. Or Yeng's idiotic tactics like never calling a timeout or playing everyone. Now everything is being aired out in the open. People are questioning Marcial and co.s motive and past moves. If only they let this go quietly..

Comment

• Originally posted by astigram04
              Isn't this what some of us have been arguing against? Copying euro basketball while we don't have their size
              curious about this "point of difference" that tab mentioned.

"But I think more importantly, what we have to do is continue to look at how our talent presents itself to us. In other words, who we have, and what that combination of players looks like."

"And then look at what style of basketball, we think, will be the biggest problem for the elite teams in the world to confront. And then we work to develop that with coaching resources and the playing resources that we can bring together."

from what tab said, this point of difference will come from the combination of players that we have, then creating a style of play that will be disadvantageous to the elite teams.

the resulting style of play could be either european or american, i think it's too early to determine at this point. basing on tab's statement, critical first step is determining who the players are (most likely will be the core of the team). getting PBA out of the picture, simplifies this part.

Comment

• Originally posted by lurklurk View Post
                curious about this "point of difference" that tab mentioned.

"But I think more importantly, what we have to do is continue to look at how our talent presents itself to us. In other words, who we have, and what that combination of players looks like."

"And then look at what style of basketball, we think, will be the biggest problem for the elite teams in the world to confront. And then we work to develop that with coaching resources and the playing resources that we can bring together."

from what tab said, this point of difference will come from the combination of players that we have, then creating a style of play that will be disadvantageous to the elite teams.

the resulting style of play could be either european or american, i think it's too early to determine at this point. basing on tab's statement, critical first step is determining who the players are (most likely will be the core of the team). getting PBA out of the picture, simplifies this part.
                Another term is looking for one's competitive advantage. It's a common marketing term where brands find a way to distinguish itself from their competitors. It could be in the form of a special ingredient, a different type of packaging, aesthetics, etc.

In the 80's, Ron Jacobs identified what would make our national team different from the other countries. Apart from having two solid naturalized players, Jacobs knew that the PHL players can both be athletic and scientific if properly trained. Even Chot Reyes knew this, highlighting the Filipinos' bara-bara plays as an advantage and incorporating this in his dribble-drive offense. If I'm not mistaken, this is one area he learned when he went to Argentina in the early 2000's.

Of course, those competitive advantages in the past may not be relevant anymore, which should be interesting as to what Tab is looking out as his own point of difference...

Comment

• Originally posted by Silent Killer View Post
                  boomers practiced less than a month with few tune up games prior to world cup..
                  Except their team has already been formed since 2017 and only added the NBA guys to complete the picture. Less than a month was more of a final practice. They’ve been preparing since pre-WC qualifiers.
                  GILAS WISHLIST:
                  6'8 Pingris

Comment

• For that point of difference to exist, we really need to be innovative and think outside the box. I think the way to go is to form a very versatile, very flexible team that could bring in different dynamics against different oppositions. We could start by prioritizing players that could play multiple positions and offers a wide array of skill set.
                    Never look too far ahead. You might stumble on a block right in front of you.

Comment

• To put the issue in simple terms.

You cannot say criticism to pba. All you must say are good things. Just wow.

Nba is receiving a lot of citicisms from different coaches and coaching staff. But they are not as affected as the pba. Most of the time, they use that to improve the league

Comment

• Sorry Enzo.. Re posting your good point here
                        "Totally agree that coach Tab's message was not wrong; however, sometimes the message itself can get diluted or missed altogether because the audience latches on to something else entirely. Ang isa pang interesting, though, is that most people/fans seem to get coach Tab's message, but a number of the other guys "inside basketball circles" maybe didn't"

Some latch on words - 1 import conference or tactically immature... Oh well
                        NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                        https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• BTW the BCAP has a second release condemning Tab. now saying the word hoop clinic is not really sharing and over price, but just a business lol

Eh what about the NBTC coaches convention which Tab is guest and has free YouTube videos?

I guess BCAP does not like competition lol

BCAP is basically shooting themselves in the foot with all these comments
                          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
                            Yes I agree we need a long term plan and prep to be competitive

My point prior wasn't that we don't need more preparation, but the suggestion that we had less prep than most teams. Again I will get blasted time and time again if I suggest our talent level isn't yet at that level. It's the talent level that is the main difference as Tab mentioned. It's really not to be demeaning or anything it's just reality.
                            That doesn't mean we can't shorten the gap difference
                            Well, I think most of us here in IBN (if not all) would agree to that. Most of us here would agree that we are weak at the 3 & perhaps to some extent, even the 4 spot., and we're just talking about Asia-Pacific level basketball here. I think majority (if not all) of Pinoy IBNers here don't find it demeaning when you say that: "our talent level isn't yet at that level". I would like to think that everyone of us here is rational enough to face reality.

Its usually the PBA people lang naman who can't accept such reality.
                            "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                              To put the issue in simple terms.

You cannot say criticism to pba. All you must say are good things. Just wow.

Nba is receiving a lot of citicisms from different coaches and coaching staff. But they are not as affected as the pba
                              . Most of the time, they use that to improve the league
                              Very much agree.
                              "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• ^^
                                All good! I personally am excited of seeing the Phlippines overachieve in 2023 and beyond, yes we will always be disadvantage in overall length and athelticim , but if we have the right approach taking advantage of our stengths we can compete . as silly as it may seem , i think with tactical team play we can shorten the physcial gap. If our players compliment each other with sound system team play , we can be greater than the sum of our parts. You take for example Dwight and Clarkson as wings. Dwight individually i do not think is off the level the good SF's out their like say Tomas Abercombrie . and while Corey Webster as a SG has more FIBA expereince than Clarkson (who is a better indivdual player than Corey) - I certainty can see that in a given game dwight and Clarkson as wings can outplay Tomas and Corey . Now to put that in perspective - while Tomas and Corey are by no means the top wings at the world level, they certainly have demosntrated in many occasions to have outplayed the best in the world ( yes litteraly as a team ) .

I've seen it happen , where players who are of a certian level while a tier below in individual talent have outplayed a better group of talented players using team play. Tab's NZ teams in the past have done this.. and it's not impossible for him to do it again with this group of Philippine players

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information