Tolomia
    Jeron Teng
    Amer
    Nambatac

Mat Wright
    Stephen Holt
    Jordan Clarkson

many more..
    people should stop calling him a phenom cause there's nothing phenomenal about him he can't even outsmart guys like Javelona, Sergeant, Tolomia he even had a game where he was 0/5 from 3 pt and 2/10 fg. haha., look Kobe Paras is having better high school career and he is doing it in the US of A and is doing the right thing on being humble. i bet he is just another "Japeth the Kevin Durant of Asia", "Pringle the best PG in Asia" look at those guys now hyped through the roof Japeth a benchwarmer and Pringle kissing Romeo's balls. haha. That's why i repeat that he is a Best Case: Bong Ravena, Worst Case: Chris Tiu.
    Opposing coaches understood from the start that Ateneo was all about Keifer Ravena, stop Ravena and you stop Ateneo. Without a reliable big man, Ateneo's campaign was doomed from the beginning as it became clear that they are merely a perimeter team anchored on Keifer Ravena. No back up plan to dump it to big guys that can post up or even run a reliable pick and roll. And unlike the other guards you mentioned or compared with Keifer, he was faced with defensive schemes with the sole purpose of stopping him and denying him the ball. That is a world of difference if you talk about the other guards compare stats wise. How he even won the MVP amidst the pressure to win was a wonder on its own as he constantly adopted to games knowing full well that a well planned phalanx of defenses were there to surprise him, trap him night in and night out.

That is the main difference with KR if you compare him with other players. Of course we will always disagree because it seems that you have already made up your mind anyway.
    Last edited by Allanhboy; 03-29-2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
      From the cadet pool, these players I think will be selected for the final 12.

Depth chart:

First Unit

SF- Bobby Parks Jr. 6"4"
      PF - Jeth Roy Rosario 6"7"
      C - Marcus Douthit 6"11"
      SG - Scottie Thompson 5"11"
      PG - Kiefer Ravena 5"11"

Second Unit :

SF - kevin Ferrer 6"4"
      PF - Mac Belo 6"5"
      C - Arnold Van Opstal 6"9"
      SG- jeron Teng 6"2"
      PG - Amer Baser 5"11"

Prince Rivero 6"4"
      Thirdy Ravena 6"2"
      This team will be too much for the SEABA opponents to handle. Even if most teams tap their own naturalized players and/or Fil-foreign players, I doubt whether they can outrun this team to win even a single game against our young boys with a lot of experience playing at a higher level of competition day in and day out.

Comment

• Originally posted by IshmaelM View Post
        I was surprised Thompson is below 6. The way he dominated the NCAA, I thought he was at least 6'2. He seems to be more of an SF. But his handles seem seems good enough to be an SG. I don't know about PG though. How good is his outside shooting? From the D league finals games I saw, he didnt seem to have a good outside shot. But I do admit his tenacity and defense makes him a strong contender for a slot.
        he's as tall as cyrus baguio...generously listed at 6'1 but is really below 6 feet. not that it matters though, he's still a 2...same with kiefer and garvo. the only true point is baser...

Comment

• Originally posted by tootch View Post
          no way he's not 6 feet..
          I'm not saying he is. But he probably is much shorter than 6'2. I've seen him up close and he's only an inch or 2 taller than me. Not that it makes a difference, he dominated players much taller than him. But he's no point guard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allanhboy View Post
            By far one of the best bball articles I have read so far. I am a huge fan of Ravena and his decision making on the court. I am thrilled that he is finally making a conscious effort to transition towards being a point guard. We need him to be this focused, Philippine basketball will benefit with him playing point for Gilas in the future. Now I am giddy with this news!
            Great news. Great for Kiefer to finally make the conscious effort to shift from SG to PG. At this stage, it is no mean feat trying to change his entire playing style to fit the PG mould. But I am sure that with the proper guidance, if there is anyone who can, he can.
            Appreciate that the most challenging role on the floor is the PG role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allanhboy View Post
              Opposing coaches understood from the start that Ateneo was all about Keifer Ravena, stop Ravena and you stop Ateneo. Without a reliable big man, Ateneo's campaign was doomed from the beginning as it became clear that they are merely a perimeter team anchored on Keifer Ravena. No back up plan to dump it to big guys that can post up or even run a reliable pick and roll. And unlike the other guards you mentioned or compared with Keifer, he was faced with defensive schemes with the sole purpose of stopping him and denying him the ball. That is a world of difference if you talk about the other guards compare stats wise. How he even won the MVP amidst the pressure to win was a wonder on its own as he constantly adopted to games knowing full well that a well planned phalanx of defenses were there to surprise him, trap him night in and night out.

That is the main difference with KR if you compare him with other players. Of course we will always disagree because it seems that you have already made up your mind anyway.
              this will change as their import will probably suit up next season with pinggoy. im not sure though.
              The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                this will change as their import will probably suit up next season with pinggoy. im not sure though.
                Will he then revert back to SG?

Comment

• Originally posted by tito thoots View Post
                  Will he then revert back to SG?
                  now that is a good question. but in my opinion i don't think so. pinggoy will be there but i do think he'll become a combo guard where he can switch from 1 or 2 from time to time when the need arises.
                  The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Comment

• my lineup

my lineup

Centers - Douthit 6'11 , Van Opstal 6'9

P.Forwards- Rosario 6'8, N.Torres 6'8

S.Forwards- Belo 6'5, Ferrer 6'4

S.Gurads- Parks 6'4, Teng 6'2, Rivero 6'4

P.Guards- K.Ravena 5'11, Baser 5'9, T.Ravena 6'2

- giving priority for guys like Van Opstal,Rosario and Torres to have more international game exposures.
                    "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalsuperman View Post
                      now that is a good question. but in my opinion i don't think so. pinggoy will be there but i do think he'll become a combo guard where he can switch from 1 or 2 from time to time when the need arises.
                      I know that he will have ball dominance in that case but doesn't that dissuade his move from PG to SG?

Comment

• Tab Baldwin says Sinag Pilipinas hasn’t met his expectations yet
                        by Denison Rey Dalupang on March 29, 2015

http://rivals.ph/basketball/gilas-pi...ectations-yet/

tab-baldwin-sinag-790x454.jpg

MANILA — “They’re all still learning.”

That’s the general assessment of national team chief tactician Tab Baldwin on the 16 athletes that comprise the Gilas cadet pool who are currently training under his watch.

Even with a lineup stacked with collegiate talents, Baldwin revealed that the crew have yet to meet his expectations.

“They all have their moments of inefficiency and their moments where they shine a little bit,” he noted but quickly quantified that such trend is “typical of young players and typical of talented players.”

But Baldwin is confident he’ll get the machine humming in no time, as long as the coaching staff continues to observe and to teach.

“I think the talent in this team is very good,” he opined. “Things would become clearer as we move forward.”

Asked about if he’s leaning on a certain discipline in training the youngsters, Baldwin simply offered “discipline.”

“I want to have a disciplined environment. And if the boys don’t know what’s expected of them, they don’t have the information,” he shared. “It’s [going to be] very difficult for them to play within the guidelines.”

But Baldwin also expressed being pleased with his wards’ comprehension of the what his personnel—which includes FIBA and PBA veteran Jimmy Alapag—is trying to impart to the recruits.

“We are teaching a lot right now and the credit has to go to them,” he said. “They’re students of the game—very responsive and very easy to work with.”

“I think it’s extremely positive for the players, first and foremost, that they get the benefit of Jimmy’s knowledge,” he added. “They get to observe him as a professional and also as somebody on the floor … We want to aspire for that pathway, especially, of being ultra-professional in terms of developing your potential.”

Catching up with Alapag, the Talk ’N Text and Gilas 2.0 ex-captain shared that he is enjoying the opportunity of sharing his experience with younger athletes.

jimmy-alapag.jpg

“I want to impose the same work ethic and the same focus [in Gilas] that’s necessary for them to be successful… That’s what’s this is all about.”

Asked about his thoughts on the sixteen hopefuls, Alapag said, “their discipline is there.”

With the 11th Southeast Asian Basketball (SEABA) Championship less than a month away, Baldwin emphasized on the need to “do the right work.”

“We have to have the time with them. And we have to have good coaches working with them,” he said. “We have that now, but we need as much of that as we possibly can.” — Rivals 2015
                        "How small ball works: Tall Skilled beats small skilled every time,but small skilled beats tall stiff every time" - Kevin McHale

Comment

• my sea/seaba line up final 12
                          1st 5
                          c douthit 6'11
                          pf rosario 6'7
                          sf belo 6'4
                          sg parks jr. 6'4
                          pg ravena 6'0

bench

2nd 5
                          c/f van opstal 6'8
                          f torres 6'7
                          g/f ferrer 6'4
                          g t.ravena 6'3
                          pg amer 5'11
                          sf khobuntin 6'3
                          pg jalalon 5'11

Comment

• Originally posted by killmebusy View Post
                            the only true point is baser...
                            That shouldn't be a problem if we can turn Parks, Kiefer, or even Thompson into playmakers. Nowadays the point guy does not have to be a guard.

OT: I'd like to see Troy Rosario & Jaja Santiago go the way of Junmar-Aerieal hehehe
                            “I never realised that to be a jockey you had to be a horse first.”
                            -Arrigo Sacchi

Comment

• i can think of two players who transitioned well from being a scoring off-guard in college to being good pro PGs: casio and paolo mendoza.

hoping ravena makes that difficult transition because you can see it in his pace and cadence that he is a SG, not a PG.

Comment

• Originally posted by manu_bol View Post
                                i can think of two players who transitioned well from being a scoring off-guard in college to being good pro PGs: casio and paolo mendoza.

hoping ravena makes that difficult transition because you can see it in his pace and cadence that he is a SG, not a PG.
                                You're missing Paul Lee. He's an SG in college who shifted to PG in the PBA. Although I don't know why in the Asian level he wanted to play SG. Maybe in ROS, he has the license to shoot whenever open, but in the Gilas system he can't do that in the PG spot.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information