This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
    While there is no telling if stars like Manu or Hoford would be available for next year’s world cup, the chances are definitely better than their absence from this years qualifying tournament. Especially for Manu who is in the twilight of his career, while he hasn’t decided yet, I think Spain would be a fitting stage for Manu to play his last international stint. He started his pro career not too far from Spain in Italy. If we had the tournament in Italy and Manu played a former euro MVP, we would have a packed house. You guys just gave me an idea, let’s target the venue of Manu’s old pro team in italy.
    Manu has played for Kinder Bologna in early 2000s. Choosing Bologna as venue of tune-up matches against Argentina or of a preparatory tournament have a lot of upsides. It is located in northern Italy, the hotbed of basketball in Italian peninsula and just two hours travel (by car) away and one hour by train from Milan, which host one of the largest Filipino community in Europe which will augment Bologna Filipino community. They have international airport and an arena which seats more than 10000. A four nation tournament there with Italy, Slovenia and Argentina (granting both Italia and Slovenia qualifies) will surely be a draw. Gilas against Italia expect a sell-out same with Gilas-Argentina due to the city's connection with Manu. Gilas -Slovenia well that small country is just around Italy's northern border about 3-4 hours travel so expect Slovenes will cross the Alps to see their NT in Bologna. Why four nations not 6 nations? personally I believe to organize a tournament involving more than 4 teams is logistically overwhelming.

Comment

• If Gilas players will be released only a month before the Big Event the coaching staff should make use of the constricted time efficiently as possible. If I am MVP I will send them to Europe as soonest after the players are released from their mother teams. And set this preparatory schedule:

10 day camp in Lithuania on the first 10 days then fly to Bologna, Italia for
      4 nation mini-tournament with Italia, Slovenia and Argentina then to London for
      2-game tune-up matches on successive days against Team GB then finally to Spain for another
      10 day camp at coach Lezkano venue preference which possibly Vitoria or Bilbao in Basque Country then descent to Madrid for another
      4 nation mini-tournament with Angola, NZ and Dominican Republic

This maybe a pipe dream but this prep sched will really toughen Gilas players comes the Big Event.
      Last edited by FilWelsh; 09-12-2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzed View Post
        It's intersting though Jeff is not much shorter than Curry or Navarro, and for that matter not many of the match-ups are significantly at a mismatch height wise. Which then begs the question if it's not height that makes them so much better, then what is it? skill , athelticim ?
        It's really skill and athleticism (not in the sense of just jumping high but more of the overall package of quickness, reaction time, flexibility, speed, agility). Steph Curry can handle the ball really really well. Aside from that, he's a good passer and he can also drive and kick and drive and use his floaters. Plus he's an incredible shooter. He can hit 3s playing any style: be it off the dribble 1 on 1, or moving around screens for catch and shoots. La Bomba is the same way. He might not have the ball handling of Curry, but he's a fantastic shooter and and scorer. He almost never misses when he's open, can attack the basket and hit floaters as well. Plus, that step back jumper of his is money. He's the best scorer, IMO, outside of the NBA. Even if he played just 1 season in the NBA, he still managed to score 37 points in 1 game. That's how good he is.

Jeff is a really good shooter. And in the PBA, he can show off his drive game some. But against top flight competition, he just can't do those things. Iba e. The players are longer, faster and more athletic. They're also better defensively. We really have to develop players here to be all around players. Everyone, regardless of position should have guard training. I think that's where the Philippines has been left behind in terms of development. It's one thing to have small players, but when our "small" PFs and Cs can't even dribble or shoot the same way a European/American PF or C can handle, score in the post and shoot, then you know there's something you have to improve on.

To echo what you said Analyzed, I think people underestimate just how hard it is to get to the NBA. There are only 400 roster spots available to play in the league where millions of basketball players around the world want to get to. That means, if you can get in that "400" you're probably part of the 1% best basketball players in the world. It's tough. There are just so many great players in the world. I'm so happy we can finally get the chance to play them.
        Credit goes to CKR13 for this! Thanks so much!

Comment

• Originally posted by nardy View Post
          BDO-NU has submitted to the PBA a Letter of Intent to participate in the coming D-League season and had also attended the meeting set by PBA for those teams interested in joining the D-League.

In the D-League draft those school players playing for their school teams for the 1st time in the D-League cannot be picked by other teams but each new school player is counted as a draft pick by that particular team thus losing its turn for said round. At least 6 school players enrolled is required for a D-League thats tied-up with a certain school. Parks will play for BDO.
          Sir Nardy, any news on Ray Parks' plans after the UAAP season? Read from somewhere that he's going to try out for the NBA after the UAAP is done and he graduates from NU. Does he have no plans at all to join Gilas cadets? Or is that simply because of the "benefactor" effect? Would love him to get some international exposure against top flight Asian countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by zuma169 View Post
            what are the chances Manu, Nocioni, Delfino and Prignioni will play for Argentina next year?

what are the chances Al Horford will play for Dominicana next year?

if we project Italia, what are the chances that Galinari (injured now ACL but i believe will play mid season) will play next year provided Italia qualifies?

oh boy, iba na ang usapan ngayon...
            Hahaha. It's almost guaranteed the top dogs will be there next year. It is the World Cup after all. And contrary to what many people think, I've read that countries outside the USA actually find the World Cup more prestigious than the Olympics. Maybe because this is the same way for football.

Comment

• Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
              If Gilas players will be released only a month before the Big Event the coaching staff should make use of the constricted time efficiently as possible. If I am MVP I will send them to Europe as soonest after the players are released from their mother teams. And set this preparatory schedule:

10 day camp in Lithuania on the first 10 days then fly to Bologna, Italia for
              4 nation mini-tournament with Italia, Slovenia and Argentina then to London for
              2-game tune-up matches on successive days against Team GB then finally to Spain for another
              10 day camp at coach Lezkano venue preference which possibly Vitoria or Bilbao in Basque Country then descent to Madrid for another
              4 nation mini-tournament with Angola, NZ and Dominican Republic

This maybe a pipe dream but this prep sched will really toughen Gilas players comes the Big Event.
              Releasing players one month before the best tournament for national teams in the world is a recipe for complete disaster. Injury, fatigue and adjustments will be a big problem for our players. And having played together in previous tournaments does not equate to chemistry and familiarity right away. PBA clubs always reset to terrible level during every start of each conference what more the national team. The reason other teams are good with only a few months of preparation is that they are very familiar with FIBA style having grown up from it from national team tournaments or their local leagues following FIBA style standards. The way they defend and the way they do their offense is not new to them. It is the basics of team basketball that they grew up with unlike in our country. 2 months is poor preparation considering our players have not gotten real rest. And 1 month is very laughable for a considerably weaker team like us.
              They call me THE HERO.

Comment

• If people here think that some of these teams are going to become cakewalks just because their "mainstays" aren't playing anymore, you're all dead wrong. Time's a changing. Case in point for Argentina: I don't think Manu and Pablo will be playing anymore (seeing as they've been playing for more than a decade already for Argentina). They're both 35, 36. At some point, they've got to take a step back and let the next generation take over. And by all accounts after the FIBA-Americas, Aregentina is going to be great. They still have Scola (one of the best big me in international basketball), and a an asbolutely FANTASTIC point guard in 22 year old Facundo Campazzo. He's been dynamite all tournament long and he punctuated it by leading Argentina to the bronze medal as he finished with 31 points and 11 assists.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are just too many great players in the world and we can't (nor should we) base our assessment based on just some player we know. While we have a great nucleus of young talent, other countries do as well. It's a global game now.

Comment

• Originally posted by elcian View Post
                  Sir Nardy, any news on Ray Parks' plans after the UAAP season? Read from somewhere that he's going to try out for the NBA after the UAAP is done and he graduates from NU. Does he have no plans at all to join Gilas cadets? Or is that simply because of the "benefactor" effect? Would love him to get some international exposure against top flight Asian countries.
                  Well you cant blame Ray if he prioritize his NBA dream over that of playing for country. With his dad now gone, at a young age he is now the bread winner for the whole family including his older siblings by his Dad's previous marriage. Plus friends of his late dad including Coach Calipari is enticing him to come back to the US and they promise to use their connections to get him into workouts with NBA and NBA D-League teams.
                  LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                  Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                  THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

• Gustavo Ayon powered Mexico to its first FIBA Americas title and was also named MVP of the tournament . He is one of the few players who was undrafted in NBA but eventually he made it to the higher level through sheer hardwork. Expect his stocks in the NBA will rise his recent successes.

Comment

• I really wish Gilas to test in friendly matches the African champions Angola and the Americas champions Mexico. Attention SBP! bring them on! ! !

Comment

• Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
                        I really wish Gilas to test in friendly matches the African champions Angola and the Americas champions Mexico. Attention SBP! bring them on! ! !

yeah! We can have a pocket tournament with Mexico, Angola, of course we need to include NZ if we are going to have a pocket tournament here in the Philippines.
                        If we are going to have a pocket tournament in Europe I would like to see this happening in Italy where there are a lot of Pinoys so Mexico, Angola, Italy and PHL in italy!!!

Comment

• the mere fact were even talking about Jeff Chan in the same sentence with navarro and curry. And that it is a possibility they will be matching each other is great ! We've waited half a century for this. Let's really count our blessings that we live in a generation when we actually will get to see this happen. Think about it , i don't think when Jaworski and company played in the world stage in the 70's , the NBA was this popular globaly and the Philippines. I doubt the average fan back then would even know the starting 5 of the Golden State Warriors.

With our love affair with the NBA and hoops , it's just incredible that were actually having these discussions, and that it can actually happen.

BTW just talked to coach. and after the discussion, i'm still in disbelief that this actually can happen. (Seriously now, Scola, Manu, Hoford , Adams, Dragic in the same floor with Castro ! are you kidding me tutoo ba to.
                          NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                          https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• Having an NBA player in NT does not always guarantee success. In FIBA Africas the three qualifiers Angola, Egypt and Senegal don't have one in their sides however the much touted NBA reinforced Nigeria missed the trip. In FIBA Americas Canada had the most number of NBAers with 4 among 10 teams but it did not translate to winning and like Nigeria they are outsted.

Comment

• Filwelsh , quick question I’ve always thought the use of English in business is common even in counties like Italy and Spain, am I correct or am I wrong? Can I negotiate things using English in Italy and/or Spain ? I checked the Spanish and Italian thread here, it looks like it’s acceptable, what do you think?
                              NBTC- Team New Zealand - Camp David: vision "To provide a basketball Pathway for Filipino Kids in NZ while building men of character and leadership. I can do all things ...
                              https://www.facebook.com/teamNZBasketball/

Comment

• World migrants rise above 230 million

Agence France-PressePosted at 09/12/2013 2:54 AM | Updated as of 09/12/2013 2:54 AMUNITED NATIONS - The number of migrants around the world rose above 230 million in 2013 with the United States, Western Europe and the Gulf oil states the biggest draws, the UN said Wednesday.The number who have left their own country has risen from 154 million in 1990 to 232 million and the proportion of migrants in rich countries is growing, said a new UN report.More than half of migrants are living in 10 countries, with the United States the leading host nation with an estimated 46 million in 2013. The UN said there are 13 million people from Mexico in the United States and about 2.2 million who were born in China, 2.1 million from India and two million from the Philippines.Russia has 11 million migrants, Germany 10 million, Saudi Arabia has nine million and the United Arab Emirates and Britain eight million each. France, Canada, Australia and Spain follow just behind, each with more than six million immigrants.Migrants made up 10.8% of the population in rich countries and just 1.6% in poorer nations.But the UN Department of Economic and Social affairs added that since 1990 "international migrants as a share of total grew in (rich nations) but remained unchanged in (poorer countries)."In stark contrast, the report added that almost 90% of the world's estimated 15.7 million refugees are in poorer nations.
                                LABAN KUNG LABAN! KAYA NATIN PILIPINAS!
                                Mabuhay ang TEAM PILIPINAS !!!!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!
                                THE DREAM LIVES ON !!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information