This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CHINA TEAM
    if china b team vs Philippines...........
    we'll just see in the coming FIBA-Asia...

I hope, darkhorse and underdog Philippines can pull an upset

Comment

Originally posted by Phantim3dx
      That was hilarious!

it's quite odd you find my bluntness hilarious.

or maybe that's just the way to tickle the fickle.
      ......¤......
      ¤........... ¤

Comment

Jordan NT to greece today
        Apr 29, 2007
        Jordan national team staff will be heading today to Athens, Greece to begin their camp there which resume until the 20th of May.
        Proud to be Lebanese
        www.arabasket.com

Comment

Who is the best in ASIA??? Read our HIstory!!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The national basketball team of the Philippines is one of the best-performing Asian teams in the international tournaments, winning a bronze medal in the 1954 FIBA World Championship for Men and fifth-place finish in the Olympic Basketball Tournaments, best finishes of any Asian team in the top two international basketball tournaments.

Aside from the bronze medal at the World Championships and the fifth-place Olympic finish, the Philippines has won five FIBA Asian Championships for Men, four Asian Games Men's Basketball gold medals and a consistent winner at the Southeast Asian Games and at the Southeast Asia Basketball Association. The country has also participated in four FIBA World Championships and seven Olympic Basketball Tournaments.

In the 1950s-1960s, the Philippines was among the best in the world, producing world-class players like Carlos Loyzaga, Mariano Tolentino and Edgardo Ocampo. Loyzaga was even a part of the 1954 FIBA World Championship Mythical Team selection, where the Philippines won the Bronze medal.

The country lost its Asian basketball supremacy, when Asia's first and the world's second professional basketball league, the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), was founded on April 1975. Slowly, the country lost its best players to the league with FIBA restrictions of professional players in the national teams.

Comment

Famous players

Famous players

Johnny Abarrientos - Philippine basketball's and Asia's best point guard in the 1990's. Abarrientos played for the Philippines in the 1991 Southeast Asian Games and the Asian Games. He was later selected to play for the Philippine Centennial Team to represent the country in the 1998 Asian Games and the 21st William Jones Cup championship. Abarrientos was named Most Valuable Player in an exhibition game against the FIBA Asia All-Star team led by his fellow countryman, Rommel Adducul.

Allan Caidic - Asia's most feared three-point shooter and arguably one of the greatest players ever to play for the Philippines internationally. He is a four-time veteran of the Asian Games (1986, 1990, 1994, 1998) and a two-time William Jones Cup champion (1985, 1998). Early in his career, Caidic played a major role for the Philippines in capturing the 1985 South East Asian Games and the 1985-1986 FIBA Asia Championship. In 1994, he was the Asian Games basketball tournament's leading scorer and was named to the All-tournament mythical five selection. In 1998, he represented the country for the final time with the celebrated Philippine Centennial Team.

Robert Jaworski - the world's oldest professional basketball player and arguably the Philippines' most popular player of the professional era. He represented the country in numerous international tournaments and one of the last Filipino basketball players to play in the World Championship and in the Olympic Games.

Samboy Lim - one of the best players ever to play for the Philippines. A prolific scorer, he represented the Philippines in the 1982 Asian Youth Championship and in the 1985-1986 FIBA Asia Championship. He was later named in the 1990 Asian Games mythical five selection.

Carlos Loyzaga - the greatest international Filipino basketball player in the history. He led the Philippines to four consecutive Asian Games gold medals and three Asian championship titles. His biggest achievement was leading the country to a third place finish and the bronze medal in the 1954 FIBA World Championship, the best finish by an Asian country in the World Championships. He was named later in the all-tournament mythical five selection after finishing third leading scorer of the tournament.

Ambrosio Padilla - one of the greatest players of the pre-war era. He played for the Philippines in the Far Eastern Games before leading the country to a fifth place finish in the 1936 Olympic Games, the best finish by an Asian country in the Olympic basketball tournament.

Luis "Lou" Salvador - one of the most prolific Filipino scorer in history. Salvador played for the Philippines in several Far Eastern Games tournaments but in 1923, Salvador set an all-time record for the most points scored by a Filipino in a single international game. He scored 116 points against China to lead the country to the gold medal.

Comment

Final Statement:

I respect everbody's opinion regarding basketball and your belief in your own NT. I know these are past achievements of philippine NT, but achievements are achievements. And no other team in Asia has ever achieved what the Philippine NT has achieved in International Basketball Competitions.

Comment

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The national basketball team of the Philippines is one of the best-performing Asian teams in the international tournaments, winning a bronze medal in the 1954 FIBA World Championship for Men and fifth-place finish in the Olympic Basketball Tournaments, best finishes of any Asian team in the top two international basketball tournaments.

Medal record

World Championships
                Bronze 1954 Rio de Janiero Team competition

Asian Championships
                Gold 1960 Manila Team competition
                Gold 1963 Taipei Team competition
                Gold 1967 Seoul Team competition
                Gold 1973 Manila Team competition
                Gold 1985 Kuala Lumpur Team competition
                Silver 1965 Kuala Lumpur Team competition
                Silver 1971 Tokyo Team competition
                Bronze 1969 Bangkok Team competition

World tournaments
                [edit] FIBA World Championships record
                1950 - Did not participate
                1954 - Bronze (3rd) (6-3)
                1959 - 8th (4-2)
                1963 - Did not qualify (was supposed to host the event but was suspended by FIBA for refusing to issue visas to players from participating Communist countries)
                1967 - Did not qualify
                1970 - Did not qualify
                1974 - 13th (2-5)
                1978 - 8th (Host) (0-7)
                1982 - Did not qualify
                1986 - Qualified (but did not participate due to political crisis at home)

Olympic Games record
                1936 - 5th (4-1)
                1948 - 12th (4-4)
                1952 - tied for 9th (3-2)
                1956 - 7th (4-4)
                1960 - 11th (4-4)
                1964 - Did not qualify
                1968 - 13th (3-6)
                1972 - 13th (3-6)

Asian tournaments

FIBA Asia Championships record
                1960 - Champion (9-0)
                1963 - Champion (9-2)
                1965 - 2nd (4-1)
                1967 - Champion (9-0)
                1969 - 3rd (7-2)
                1971 - 2nd (7-1)
                1973 - Champion (9-0)
                1975 - 5th
                1977 - 5th
                1979 - 4th
                1981 - 4th
                1983 - 9th
                1985 - Champion (6-0)
                1987 - 4th
                1989 - 8th
                1991 - 7th
                1993 - 11th
                1995 - 12th
                1997 - 9th
                1999 - 11th
                2001 - Qualified but did not participate (suspended by FIBA)
                2003 - 15th
                2005 - Did not qualify

Asian Games record
                1951 - Gold (1st) (4-0)
                1954 - Gold (1st) (6-0)
                1958 - Gold (1st) (6-1)
                1962 - Gold (1st) (7-0)
                1966 - 6th (4-3)
                1970 - 5th (4-4)
                1974 - 4th
                1978 - 5th
                1982 - 4th
                1986 - Bronze (3rd) (2-2)
                1990 - Silver (2nd) (4-2)
                1994 - 4th (3-3)
                1998 - Bronze (3rd) (5-2)
                2002 - 4th
                2006 - Did not participate (suspended by FIBA)

Non-FIBA-sanctioned tournaments
                [edit] Far Eastern Championship Games record
                1913 - Champion
                1915 - Champion
                1917 - Champion
                1919 - Champion
                1921 - 2nd
                1923 - Champion
                1925 - Champion
                1927 - Champion
                1930 - Champion
                1934 - Champion
                [edit] William Jones Cup record
                1981 - Champion
                1985 - Champion
                1998 - Champion [1]
                1999 - 8th - Withdrew from the Tournament [2]
                2000 - 4th
                2001 - 4th
                2002 - 5th
                2004 - 8th
                2005 - 3rd
                2006 - 6th

Comment

We have something to Brag

Philippine Team has laready proven its power and might in the field of various International BAsketball Competions which other Asian countries NEVER and FAILED to achieved other than the Philippine Team.

This time, we will be out there to prove and reclaim our glory in Basketball. Should you doubt my statement, please try searching the net first before you disagree and definitely we will know why i am so proud of this team.

So to all who will participate in the coming FIBA Asian Championship, watch out. It's not a joke!!!

Comment

no offense but come on man. letS concentrate on the here and now. we have bragged about our history several times. We WERE the best in asia, but as of now we arent, obviously its china. i know that our NT's past achievements are the best in asia and that some achievements are achievements that other asian nt's are yet to reach but we really should consider the level of competition that we are in right now. other national teams are very competitive and could claim that they are best in asia.

Comment

Originally posted by asapa11
                      no offense but come on man. letS concentrate on the here and now. we have bragged about our history several times. We WERE the best in asia, but as of now we arent, obviously its china. i know that our NT's past achievements are the best in asia and that some achievements are achievements that other asian nt's are yet to reach but we really should consider the level of competition that we are in right now. other national teams are very competitive and could claim that they are best in asia.

wow someone being realistic? my god corruption msutve ended in the phil gov. anyways sarcasm aside, seriously when can i buy you a bottle of beer or something for this hard to swallow form of realism to the past achievements of pride.

i second thee
                      "A nationality that easily feels wronged is an insecure one, and one that will be difficult to progress."-Anonymous

Comment

ei Phantim3dx, I may be somewhat of a realist, but i still have high hopes for my rp team. We may score an upset and win the asian championship, go to the olympics and be placed somewhere at the bottom 5. hopefully not last place. but still its a good start.

anyways im going to the US around august... maybe we could drink san miguel beer when your there! haha "for me, its the best beer!"
                        Last edited by asapa11; 05-04-2007, 01:54 AM.

Comment

the most?

CHINA ofcourse. theyre already in!
                          You've got to have it to win it

Comment

I want to change the question:

the question is: which Asian country will qualify in the coming 2008 Beijing
                            Olympics?

Make your decision and why you choose this team ??
                            Last edited by sinobball; 05-08-2007, 04:53 PM.
                            Proud to be Lebanese
                            www.arabasket.com

Comment

too much bragging

why there's so much bragging abt the phil team?past achievement is only a history now...what's impt is the future...i think china has a great future in terms of basketball,in fact, all of the featured sports played internationally.
                              they have all the right to brag!!! they had proven their skills and talent at all sports level...Phil team? very few!!! boxing,billiards,bowling,basketball...we love all B..sports but we bragged too much already.let's just be humble in spirit...
                              i just came to china for a tour 2 days ago...and had the chance to passed by olympic stadium..and u will be wowed if u see that...that's so big and beautiful,designed like a birds nest... i feel envy,with their facilities...our govt can't even make stadium like that and i feel so upset...

Comment

philippines,s achievements were in the 1950s i think.......there wasnt any computers back than

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information