Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the article, Rik. I think everybody likes Famutimi. He's a real tenacious player, but he made a mistake when he left college (Arkansas?) and declared for the NBA draft. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I really think he is one of the players who could have benefited with a few more years in college. I think he saw some of his peers playing well in the NBA and he wanted it too. Anyhow, it's great to see that he's succeeding.
    "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Looks like Matt Bonner is going to play for the Canadian NT eventually.
      Ukic scores career-high 22 points for Raptors - AP Sports, February 12, 2009

Notes:

...San Antonio’s Matt Bonner, who spent the first two years of his career with the Raptors, is in the process of becoming a Canadian citizen and hopes to play for Canada’s national team. Born in New Hampshire, Bonner has a grandfather from Newfoundland and his wife is from Toronto. “I feel very strongly about representing Canada,” Bonner said. “I feel like I’m part Canadian. It just feels right.” …
      "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Bonner has a grandfather from Newfoundland and his wife is from Toronto.
        Oh, the things some men have to do to please women!

Comment

I would gladly give New Hampshire to Canada if it would smooth the process.
          Originally posted by Fedfan
          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
          Originally posted by GuTO
          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Humm i think, that Steve Nash has begin to fall in carrier

Comment

what is the latest update of Matt Bonner's appplication for Canadian citizenship?

Comment

Originally posted by FilWelsh View Post
                what is the latest update of Matt Bonner's appplication for Canadian citizenship?
                He's already naturalized

Comment

CAN - Canadian senior men's national basketball team begins quest for the Worlds

TORONTO (2009 FIBA Americas Championship) - Canada Basketball unveiled the 2009 program for the Senior Men’s National Team (SMNT) today, including the training/tryout schedule, summer competitions and the roster/staff for the first phase of the program.

After the launch in 2008, the “ROAD WARRIORS” return for an intense three-phase season that will see the team compete against seven national teams and various club teams in Spain, Italy and Puerto Rico, all in preparation for the FIBA Americas Championship for Men August 26- September 6 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

“Our ultimate objective for the Senior Men’s Team this summer is to qualify for the FIBA World Championships in 2010 and the journey begins next week," said Maurizio Gherardini, Managing Director of the SMNT.

“We have put together a rigorous three-month training and competition schedule that we believe will help us achieve this goal.”

The SMNT summer season begins with a young men’s development camp.

As part of Canada Basketball’s long range strategy, the new phase is dedicated to identifying and developing top young Canadian prospects that are currently playing professionally or in the NCAA.

The young prospects camp will take place June 15-22 at Air Canada Centre, followed by exhibition games in Spain.

Invited players include Tyler Kepkay (British Columbia), Kai Williams (Saskatchewan), Aaron Doornekamp (Ontario), and Jevohn Sheppard (Ontario), who have sported the red and white for Canada on one of the national teams.

Joining these basketball rising young stars are Kyle Landry (Alberta), Ryan Bell (Ontario) and Mike Tuck (Ontario), who all play professionally overseas.

“I’m excited to work with these young guys who have the talent and the drive to compete at the international level,” said SMNT Head Coach, Leo Rautins. “I have been watching them play with their respective teams throughout the season, and Canada’s basketball future looks very bright.I look forward to working with and developing future senior national team players who will one day represent Canada.”

The second phase of training camp will take July 18-22, again at Air Canada Centre.

This group of athletes will feature many current members of SMNT that played last summer and in the 2007 FIBA Americas Championships.

After four days of intense training the team is slated to travel to Italy July 25 – August 2 to compete in a series of exhibition games with national teams from Italy, New Zealand, Portugal, and Turkey.

“Competing against national teams in other FIBA zones is great preparation for our team,” stated Rautins. “Every country is in the same position, in that we are all competing in zone championships this summer, vying for a spot in the 2010 World event. We have a strong core group of players that have been together for a few years and if we play hard in these European exhibition games, Canada will be in a great position to place well in the FIBA Americas Championship this August.”

The final training phase will take place August 12-16 at Air Canada Centre. The team then travels to Puerto Rico for the Tuto Marchand Cup August 18-20. Participating teams include Brazil, Argentina and Puerto Rico. Canada will look to repeat their first place finish in 2007.

Following a three-day break in Puerto Rico, Canada will moves on to the FIBA Americas Championship August 26 - September 6 at Roberto Clemente Coliseum in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Canada was selected to 'Group A', playing Uruguay, US Virgin Islands, Mexico and Puerto Rico in the preliminary round.

In total, ten of the best national teams will compete, with the top four qualifying for the 2010 FIBA World Championship to be played in Turkey.
                  Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Canada announces Senior National Team for Italian exhibition series

TORONTO (FIBA Americas Championship) – The Canadian Senior Men's National Team (SMNT) launches into the second part of a three-phase season this Saturday, July 18 at the Air Canada Centre. This phase includes an intense four-day training camp, followed by a trip to Italy where the SMNT will compete in exhibition games against national teams from Italy, New Zealand, Portugal and Turkey.

"This camp is a chance to have some of our younger players train and compete with guys who have played for Canada before at the highest level," said Leo Rautins, Head Coach of the Senior Men's National Team."I am looking forward to working with the players to create a team that has a passion and hunger to represent our nation on the world stage."

The camp runs from July 18-23 at Air Canada Centre and then the athletes travel to Italy July 23-August 2 to compete in a series of exhibition games.These games are a part of a summer-long basketball development plan to prepare the SMNT for the FIBA Americas Championship for Men August 26 – September 6 in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in the hopes of qualifying for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

The roster for the second phase is highlighted by five returning athletes from the 2008 SMNT squad including Jermaine Anderson (Toronto), Olu Famutimi (Toronto), Levon Kendall (Vancouver), Andy Rautins (Syracuse, NY), and Jesse Young (Peterborough).

The final training phase will take place August 12-16 at Air Canada Centre.The team then travels to Puerto Rico for the Tuto Marchand Cup August 18-20.Participating teams include Brazil, Argentina and Puerto Rico.Canada will look to repeat their first place finish in 2007.

sigpic

Comment

Mexico should be having a good chance to beat Canada,if the team stay like that.

Center positions are especially weak since there is no Dalambert. I like Jermaine Anderson and Olu Famutimi, both good players.Andy Rautins had also a good season. But that's pretty it. Carl English ? Rowan Barrett, Joel Anthony, Juan Mendez and Denham Brown are missing...

I from Wisconsin!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

CAN – Anderson, Canada ready to take at 2010 FIBA World Championship berth

TORONTO (FIBA Americas Championship) - Canada point guard Jermaine Anderson is upbeat about the team’s chances of achieving a top four finish at the FIBA Americas Championship in Puerto Rico later this summer.

Should that happen, the Canadians would qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey.

“Our goal this year is simple, we want to qualify for the World Championship,” Anderson said.

The playmaker is one of several returning national team players set to join Canada coach Leo Rautins for a training camp that runs from July 18-23 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. Olu Famutimi, Levon Kendall, Andy Rautins, Jesse Young, Tyler Kepkay and Aaron Doornekamp will also be on hand.

After the camp, the Canadians will fly to Italy and compete in a series of exhibition games along with New Zealand, Portugal, Turkey, Angola and the Italians.

“I’m excited to play again for Canada and cannot wait to get to know the guys better and get comfortable with our new system,” Anderson said. “Last year’s experience will only make us stronger as we try to be one of the best in the world. Now it means that everyone has to focus on basketball and nothing else. It’s time to get it done.”

Canada played at the 12-team FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament last year in Athens but did not take one of the three spots on offer for the Beijing Games.

The last phase of Canada’s training before the FIBA Americas Championship will take place from August 12-16 back at the Air Canada Centre.

The team will then travel to Puerto Rico for the Tuto Marchand Cup from August 18-20. Brazil, Argentina and Puerto Rico are also in that friendly competition.
                        Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by Mojado View Post
                          Mexico should be having a good chance to beat Canada,if the team stay like that.

Center positions are especially weak since there is no Dalambert. I like Jermaine Anderson and Olu Famutimi, both good players.Andy Rautins had also a good season. But that's pretty it. Carl English ? Rowan Barrett, Joel Anthony, Juan Mendez and Denham Brown are missing...
                          Too many major absences, Canada will have a hard time qualifying for Round 2.

Comment

Canada adds Joel Anthony and Carl English to its roster:

I from Wisconsin!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Then i have to change my view on this team, now Canada has a legitimate chance.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
                                Then i have to change my view on this team, now Canada has a legitimate chance.
                                Yeah. I can see them in the top 4. This championship is getting tougher and tougher.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information