Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Wiltjer of the Kentucky Wildcats is another up and coming talent for Canadian basketball.

Kentucky's Wiltjer part of promising hoops future for Canada
    Sacramento Kings
    HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

• The Nike Hoops Summit have Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett in the World Select Roster. I am looking forward to seeing both play and how they will do against the USA selection.
      Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Steve Nash is back in the fold of Canadian Basketball.

Steve Nash to become Canada GM
        Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Triano back as National Team Coach!

Jay Triano to return as Canada senior men's National Team coach!

Comment

• Canada having a training camp this weekend...the roster is here:
              Originally posted by Fedfan
              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
              Originally posted by GuTO
              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• Laurentian coach looks to put men's basketball back on map

By the time the 2016 Olympic Summer Games roll around in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, only a dozen Canadian male basketball players will have experienced the thrill of the event over a period covering almost 30 years.

Laurentian Voyageurs head coach Shawn Swords was part of the 2000 team that travelled to Sydney, Australia, finishing seventh. That squad is the only national team that has qualified for competition over the past six Olympiades — a period dating back to the 1988 Games in Seoul, South Korea.

Over the weekend, Swords was part of an effort to rewrite a more positive basketball legacy in this country. Along with a small handful of teammates from the 2000 team, Swords was in Toronto as Basketball Canada introduced Jay Triano as national team head coach.

Small surprise, as Triano was also the man at the helm a dozen years ago when Canada competed with a roster that included the likes of Steve Nash, Rowan Barrett, Greg Francis and Todd MacCulloch.

When it comes to outlining the message he wants to share with those players hoping to crack the top 12 in the World in 2016, Swords speaks from experience.

"No matter what the talent, you have to be willing to sacrifice for the team," he said between sessions of a training camp that was staged, Aug. 24 to 28, at the Air Canada Centre.

Ironically, Swords is far more confident in the ability of the current crop of rising hard court stars to tackle this challenge than was the case at the turn of the millennium.

"The talent level in Canada is ridiculous right now," he said. "There is no doubt at all we have the talent to be there."

That said, Swords acknowledged that there is some work ahead in terms of restoring the attraction of participation in a national team program that last medaled at the Olympic Games in 1936.

"We have to get the players invested in each other and invested in the program," he said.

Still, with a current training camp roster that features NBA and NCAA stars Joel Anthony, Tristan Thompson, Myck Kabongo and Cory Joseph, and with two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash installed as general manager, there is a sense of optimism that has been lacking for years.

For coach Swords and others, it's a chance to do whatever they can to help put Canada back on the world map in men's basketball.
                -Northern Life Canada
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

• I want your projections on who you'd like to see make up team Canada in the 2016 Olympics - we'll just skip 2014 World Cup for the moment.

Mine:
                  Starters:
                  F Tristan Thompson
                  F Anthony Bennett
                  C Tanveer Bhullar
                  G Tyler Ennis
                  G/F Andrew Wiggins

bench:
                  F Kyle Wiltjer
                  F Andrew Nicholson
                  C Robert Sacre
                  G Myck Kabango
                  G Kevin Pangos
                  C Sim Bhullar
                  G Cory Joseph

Am I missing anyone in particular?

Comment

• Originally posted by BBallfanJ View Post
                    I kind of like Devoe Joseph (G, 1.93, 1989) ‒ I think he’s Cory’s brother. He will start his pro career playing for BC Khimik Yuzhny (Ukraine), a EuroChallenge team. It will be interesting to follow his evolution.

Comment

• FIBA | CAN - Pangos part of a fresh start
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

• Originally posted by BBallfanJ View Post
                        I want your projections on who you'd like to see make up team Canada in the 2016 Olympics - we'll just skip 2014 World Cup for the moment.

Mine:
                        Starters:
                        F Tristan Thompson
                        F Anthony Bennett
                        C Tanveer Bhullar
                        G Tyler Ennis
                        G/F Andrew Wiggins

bench:
                        F Kyle Wiltjer
                        F Andrew Nicholson
                        C Robert Sacre
                        G Myck Kabango
                        G Kevin Pangos
                        C Sim Bhullar
                        G Cory Joseph

If these players continue to develop professionally, Canada will be a formidable opponent for years to come. By 2016, we could be looking at the greatest Canadian NT ever assembled and a definite medal contender.

Comment

• Sounds more like a 2020 roster than 2016.
                          Originally posted by Fedfan
                          Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                          Originally posted by GuTO
                          refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

• I'm not sure if Tristan wants to play for Canada. I never heard any talks that's he's interested or whatsoever. He wasn't even at that camp a few weeks ago.

Comment

• Yeah, slot Kelly Olynyk in as the starting Center. Olynyk is probably one of the most improved players in college basketball as he's averaging over 18 PPG for Gonzaga. He's now projected as a solid first round NBA pick for 2013 and if he keeps up his strong play, we could be seeing 2 Canadians go in the lottery (Bennett and Olynyk).

Comment

• Tristan Thompson of the Cleveland Cavaliers is looking forward in playing for Canada this summer.

Summer plans:

Thompson said he hopes to represent Canada in FIBA World Championship qualifying this summer.

In a hockey-obsessed nation, Canada rarely gains recognition in basketball, save for Steve Nash. But the Dominion -- and the Greater Toronto Area in particular -- is starting to produce NBA talent. Sunday night’s game featured a pair of Canadians – Thompson and Orlando Magic rookie Andrew Nicholson.

Other countrymen in the league are: Nash, Cory Joseph (San Antonio), Kris Joseph (Brooklyn), Joel Anthony (Miami) and Samuel Dalembert (Milwaukee).

“We’re ready to take the United States by storm,” Thompson said smiling.

The Canadians will be coached by Portland Trail Blazers assistant Jay Triano. The nation failed to qualify for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Venezuela will host the qualifier for North and South American countries from Aug. 30 to Sept. 11. Thompson said as long as the tournament doesn’t conflict with any Cavaliers functions or training he will likely play for his country.

Scott said he would encourage Thompson to participate and believes it would be a good experience for the youngster.

The world championship is set for Spain in 2014.
                                -Cleveland Plain Dealer
                                Sacramento Kings

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information