Acropolis tournament '2009 including GRE, RUS, SRB and LTU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time

Hi ppl, I can't faind Time table of Acropolis tournament.... some one help!
    Thanks!

Gal zinot visu rungtyniu laika? niekur nerandu, o internete graikiskai viskas Kada zaidzia lietuviai tai jau aisku
    Last edited by fanas; 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lafa View Post
      ball carrying - his favourite...
      I would say that Delininkaitis is a bit more "experienced" on this rule violation

Comment

Originally posted by KWSN-Men View Post
        But Spanoulis is a ballhog and a Turnover Machine.
        Greece's guard rotation =

Spanoulis = ball hog, turnover machine, Greece's best scorer, Greece's best player

Calathes = ball hog, turnover machine, pretty poor player for this level at the current time, however very talented player obviously for age

Zisis = ball hogging, black hole on offense, yet he does not turn the ball over and also is a very good shooter

Bottom line for Greece is they need another guard to give them something if they expect to do anything. Calathes sure does not appear ready to contribute much. He is very good in bringing the ball up the court against pressure and also in pressure defense and getting steals and he seems to be able to run a fast break well and to be a nice passer and pick and roll player. That's all he can do. No jump shot, no one to one offense, no finishing ability, not very good play making, not very good play creation, and so on.

Greek guards of Spanoulis and Zisis with 5-10 minutes of ball handling from Calathes to give them a rest is enough for those roles, but not enough in total because Calathes won't produce much offense. So Greece looks to be lacking a fourth guard and in the past they always had those 4 guards to work with.

Sad thing is, Lithuania and Russia guard situation is much worse.
        Last edited by FIBA Europe Basket; 08-25-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ip84 View Post
          Considering all that was said about him in this forum, I think Zisis deserves some compliments after the last few games.
          He is a very responsible PG/SG, makes good decisions and play grate defense (like he always does).
          It's all about his confidence. Now that he knows that he is a key player in the team he don't afraid to take responsibility from time to time and looks much better.
          And as I said before, I like him more as a PG.
          Zisis is a very, very smart and very, very smooth and skilled basketball player. He's also very, very steady as a player. But he really dominates the ball and he does everything just in his own game. I think he's a pure shooting guard that just happens to be an outstanding ball handler and that rarely makes a mistake or turnover.

But his play creation for others is practically non existing.

Comment

Originally posted by sashikas View Post
            That slippery happened because he stepped on Shved's foot.

I guess if he will be running the point, we, Lithuanian fans, should be prepared for "Jomantas' situations" - charging fouls, when he pushes away his defender with the non-dribbling arm and the ballhandling turnovers.
            It really seems a bit strange seeing Lithuania without Sharas how that they have no good point guard. Every other position there are good players for them to choose from but point guard position looks lost. A bit strange to have one of the great point guards and then nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by FIBA Europe Basket View Post
              It really seems a bit strange seeing Lithuania without Sharas how that they have no good point guard. Every other position there are good players for them to choose from but point guard position looks lost. A bit strange to have one of the great point guards and then nothing.
              It wouldn't be strange if you knew how our bball schools worked in early ninetees We got lot of good backcourt players, so it seemed that it'll last forever, in some bball schools even didn't accept any kid that is shorter than 190cm, didn't even give a chance. All were looking for a new Sabas. So now we have the concequenses.

Comment

Originally posted by fanas View Post
                Hi ppl, I can't faind Time table of Acropolis tournament.... some one help!
                Thanks!

Gal zinot visu rungtyniu laika? niekur nerandu, o internete graikiskai viskas Kada zaidzia lietuviai tai jau aisku
                Link to the games schedule

Comment

i am wondering about your opinion. you said that Spanoulis and Calathes are ballhogers and Zissis is black hole in offence. dont you overdo a little?

Zissis was great fit to each team he played and no one was really disappointed of his being 'black hole' as you said. aditionally he is one of best guard defenders in whole EL and has nice shot from behind.

if we are talking bout Spanoulis you are right. he is TO machine but still go-to-guy and best of Greece NT

but Calathes is known of his court vision and passing skills. he is more pass-first oriented that shot-first. he is able to got 10 assist per game so i cant see his ballhoging and only drawback is his low expierence and yound age so every mistake is result of it.

obviously no one is Theo like, but there is no tragedy in guard positions there such as in Lithuana, Russia or even Serbia n Turkey.

Comment

I see things different. Lithuania will win this tournament if our guards will do at least a single thing, that what they are capable, just need time to pass the Spanish shock. I didn't see the whole last game of Serbia- Greece, but I saw the previous game. Greece depends on Spanoulis and Zisis completely. That's not a good idea. Zisis is not a stable shooter as well as Spanoulis tough currently he shows amazing shape (will it last for so long?). The 3 spot is weak and the 4,5 is only solid. Serbia looks very nice as a young team. Teodosic made an improvement, a lot of energy from all young players. Macvan might be a big surprise in this Eurobasket. And I don't talk about Russia, they didn't show their face yet and I doubt they will.

Originally posted by robbe View Post
                    Kleiza has a bad game every time I watch him play for Lithuania.
                    What exactly did Kleiza wrong to say that he played bad? 9 points, 7 rebounds and few amazing passes. It's the stats of the leader in such team as Lith NT.
                    Last edited by Straight forward; 08-25-2009, 11:01 AM.
                    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                    Buzelis, Lelevicius
                    Murauskas, Sirvydis
                    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by ballhoger View Post
                      i am wondering about your opinion. you said that Spanoulis and Calathes are ballhogers and Zissis is black hole in offence. dont you overdo a little?

Zissis was great fit to each team he played and no one was really disappointed of his being 'black hole' as you said. aditionally he is one of best guard defenders in whole EL and has nice shot from behind.

if we are talking bout Spanoulis you are right. he is TO machine but still go-to-guy and best of Greece NT

but Calathes is known of his court vision and passing skills. he is more pass-first oriented that shot-first. he is able to got 10 assist per game so i cant see his ballhoging and only drawback is his low expierence and yound age so every mistake is result of it.

obviously no one is Theo like, but there is no tragedy in guard positions there such as in Lithuana, Russia or even Serbia n Turkey.
                      Calathes is a good passer, good floor vision yes. But in the half court he seems to be mainly a guy that looks for his shot and scoring and does not not involve others. Also, his scoring and shooting ability seems pretty poor.

I am sure he can get 10 assists also, but only in a up and down type of game. He doesn't really seem to have the half court play making ability of guys like Diamantidis, Papaloukas, Spanoulis.

I don't think Zisis has ever been a ball hogger at all (far from it actually) I meant that right now in this team he appears to be. He's playing as one like Spanoulis because out of necessity because they are the definite two best scorers of Greece.

Spanoulis same thing, he has to be almost a one man show for Greece. Obviously he is the best player Greece has by quite a lot. But having to need him play dominating the ball and ball hogging because they don't have enough scorers is not a good sign.

Spanoulis will need to average 20 a game at Eurobasket and Zisis 15 a game it seems for Greece and they certainly are capable of it. But even then who else will there be? Bourousis and Schortanitis can't stay on the floor long enough to give enough help in offense. Either one could probably give them another 15 points but they don't stay on the floor long enough. And they don't play together as a combination well because of lack of defensive foot speed. The pick and roll could kill that combination on defense.

Basically, yes it seems like Zisis and Spanoulis are ball hogging, but it's because they have to. There is no one else that can score that much and the main ones that can are two big men that first need the ball handed to them. If Greece had another good scorer they could challenge Spain but as it is they seem to be fighting for silver to me. I picked them for gold because I though Koufos would be ready for them but he's not ready at all yet it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                        I see things different. Lithuania will win this tournament if our guards will do at least a single thing, that what they are capable, just need time to pass the Spanish shock. I didn't see the whole last game of Serbia- Greece, but I saw the previous game. Greece depends on Spanoulis and Zisis completely. That's not a good idea. Zisis is not a stable shooter as well as Spanoulis tough currently he shows amazing shape (will it last for so long?). The 3 spot is weak and the 4,5 is only solid. Serbia looks very nice as a young team. Teodosic made an improvement, a lot of energy from all young players. Macvan might be a big surprise in this Eurobasket. And I don't talk about Russia, they didn't show their face yet and I doubt they will.
                        I pretty much agree with you. If Liths has Sharas they could try for the gold. But I am not confident in their point guards at all. Not good enough IMO and I think it will cost them to fight for qualification spots maybe instead of medals. The rest of the team though is pretty strong other than point guard spots.

I also agree with you on Serbia and Greece and Russia. Teodosic is coming along and Macvan could help them get a low post scorer presence. They are going to be a pretty tough team at Euro. But still they lack a go to player, a main scorer and Tepic is not really a good enough point guard to me. He's excellent ball handler but not so much a real point guard.

Russia is showing nothing and looks to have no chance the way they are playing right now. They will need to play great defense in all games to get victories.

Greece is definitely a one man show (Spanoulis) and his sidekick (Zisis). It is something like the old days of Greece with Galis and Yiannakis and does not remind of the recent years when they were strong as a collective unit. Maybe the coaching change is part of that but who knows. Anyway, Spanoulis and Zisis are capable to carry them but like you say will it last? Too dangerous to rely on two players for every game because with just one bad game you can get eliminated.

I can't wait to see the next games to really know more about the 4 teams here.

Comment

I pretty much agree with you. If Liths has Sharas they could try for the gold. But I am not confident in their point guards at all. Not good enough IMO and I think it will cost them to fight for qualification spots maybe instead of medals. The rest of the team though is pretty strong other than point guard spots.

I also agree with you on Serbia and Greece and Russia. Teodosic is coming along and Macvan could help them get a low post scorer presence. They are going to be a pretty tough team at Euro. But still they lack a go to player, a main scorer and Tepic is not really a good enough point guard to me. He's excellent ball handler but not so much a real point guard.

Russia is showing nothing and looks to have no chance the way they are playing right now. They will need to play great defense in all games to get victories.

Greece is definitely a one man show (Spanoulis) and his sidekick (Zisis). It is something like the old days of Greece with Galis and Yiannakis and does not remind of the recent years when they were strong as a collective unit. Maybe the coaching change is part of that but who knows. Anyway, Spanoulis and Zisis are capable to carry them but like you say will it last? Too dangerous to rely on two players for every game because with just one bad game you can get eliminated.

I can't wait to see the next games to really know more about the 4 teams here.
                          I doubt they are many teams in Euro this year as strong as the Greeks in the paint with Bourousis, Sofo and Koufo.
                          sigpic
                          GERA ELLADARA MOU!!!!!

Comment

Zisis is a very, very smart and very, very smooth and skilled basketball player. He's also very, very steady as a player. But he really dominates the ball and he does everything just in his own game. I think he's a pure shooting guard that just happens to be an outstanding ball handler and that rarely makes a mistake or turnover.

But his play creation for others is practically non existing.
                            I don't agree at all. Zisis always looking for his teammates and know how to pass the ball (and actually this is why I like him since he played at Benetton Treviso)
                            My Youtube channel

Comment

Greece's guard rotation =

Spanoulis = ball hog, turnover machine, Greece's best scorer, Greece's best player

Calathes = ball hog, turnover machine, pretty poor player for this level at the current time, however very talented player obviously for age

Zisis = ball hogging, black hole on offense, yet he does not turn the ball over and also is a very good shooter

Bottom line for Greece is they need another guard to give them something if they expect to do anything. Calathes sure does not appear ready to contribute much. He is very good in bringing the ball up the court against pressure and also in pressure defense and getting steals and he seems to be able to run a fast break well and to be a nice passer and pick and roll player. That's all he can do. No jump shot, no one to one offense, no finishing ability, not very good play making, not very good play creation, and so on.

Greek guards of Spanoulis and Zisis with 5-10 minutes of ball handling from Calathes to give them a rest is enough for those roles, but not enough in total because Calathes won't produce much offense. So Greece looks to be lacking a fourth guard and in the past they always had those 4 guards to work with.

Sad thing is, Lithuania and Russia guard situation is much worse.
                              i am wonder what PAO and CSKA saw on these players.so poor cases indeed but what Obradovic and Messina know to choose the correct player. ball hogs

just a correction : Zisis is not the scorer that greece will have.Because he scored in one or two games some points doesnt mean such a thing.Spanoulis is the best scorer Greece have.Greece doesnt depend on zissis for scoring.And i doubt that zissis will carry Greece all the way.The team has many players to score every night and eventually to continue in the tournament.Greece always was like that.team oriented.From gallis ages no greek had such a scoring charisma so the game was depending on the team or on defence.But if we talk about significant players ofcourse Spanoulis is a key as well sofo is another.Not zissis.Ofcourse he is someone that will help a lot Greece but has nothing to do with Gallis and Yannakis old days.For me the key is the SF position and the perimeter scoring.If Greece will solve (in a way cause there will be nights with the problem for sure) it or minimize it will go to the semis.So Perperoglou is another key
                              Calathes needs development but its logical in his age and with his non experience in top level.I mean the wonderkid (not for me anymore without offence)Rubio doesnt have weaknesses?Cause i think he has a lot.

And by the way i cant remember many guards which are not ball hogs in this tournament...i mean with this criteria.Do you?
                              Last edited by CG; 08-25-2009, 03:21 PM.
                              1st in IBN 2018-2019
                              2nd in IBN 2016-2017
                              2nd in IBN 2015-2016
                              1st in IBN 2014-2015
                              2nd in IBN 2013-2014
                              2nd in IBN 2012-2013
                              2nd in IBN 2010-2011
                              3nd in IBN 2009-2010
                              1st in IBN 2008-2009
                              2nd in IBN 2007-2008

If you love player and team comparisons, please join me in my channels
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIT...JLx5BerQtam9_A
                              https://www.facebook.com/sport.rankings.10
                              @RankingsSport

Comment

What do you guys think of the Lithuania-Serbia match? Is Lithuania really a heavy favorite here? Any predictions?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information