Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now we know, why FIBA changed the qualification round: They need money! They want to sell the three qualification tournaments and the hosts in return will earn a wild card

Let me guess - the hosts will be ... Qatar, Germany and Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Spot View Post
      Qatar, Germany and Russia?
      Qatar is valid choice but I think China is even more likely. Turkey is second host and Canada is third.

I'm not fan of this system but in the other hand; more games, more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
        Fiba obviously decided not to let go of the Olympic tournament but monetize a qualification tournaments instead. Imo they should stick to their original plan and made U20 teams participate at the olympics, making the world championship the no.1 tournament.
        I see where you are coming from because that would be the best hope for a non USA basketball fan. No matter what age restrictions they place on the Olympic tournament the World Championships can never equal the prestige of an Olympic gold medal to an American player. Therefore if it's the only game in town it will lead to the USA fielding B and C teams.
        You will never again see the worlds greatest players in international tournaments. That's the flaw in the thinking that since the nba greats are not eligible for the Olympics they will now participate in the fiba cup. I guarantee you they won't. The draw for the American player is that Olympic gold medal that has tradition and meaning. You can't manufacture that. But like I said it would give the world an opportunity to win again, something that over the recent years is starting to look impossible again similar to the 1990's.
        Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
          I see where you are coming from because that would be the best hope for a non USA basketball fan.
          Since Olympics are way more important in Lithuania (and Europe), I believe you rarely could meet a person who would like to see some U20 or like in football U23 teams with 3 senior players playin' in Olympics instead regular NT. The same goes to majority of players. That feeling of importance, spirit of the Olympics itself would be much bigger loss than some better placing or even gold medal. It'd be almost regular youth tournament

Comment

Originally posted by usagre View Post
            I see where you are coming from because that would be the best hope for a non USA basketball fan. No matter what age restrictions they place on the Olympic tournament the World Championships can never equal the prestige of an Olympic gold medal to an American player. Therefore if it's the only game in town it will lead to the USA fielding B and C teams.
            You will never again see the worlds greatest players in international tournaments. That's the flaw in the thinking that since the nba greats are not eligible for the Olympics they will now participate in the fiba cup. I guarantee you they won't. The draw for the American player is that Olympic gold medal that has tradition and meaning. You can't manufacture that. But like I said it would give the world an opportunity to win again, something that over the recent years is starting to look impossible again similar to the 1990's.
            I've noticed many articles claiming that dropping the olympics is in accord with the NBA as they don't like the fact int. olympic comitee gets all the $ there. I'm sure you'll be glad to explain to me where exactly is Adam Silver coming from than?
            Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
              I've noticed many articles claiming that dropping the olympics is in accord with the NBA as they don't like the fact int. olympic comitee gets all the $ there. I'm sure you'll be glad to explain to me where exactly is Adam Silver coming from than?
              That's fine but it will never change the fact that the cream of the crop of nba players will never treat a fiba World Cup like the Olympics no matter what financial arrangement is arranged. And my biggest point is that if I am a European or South American basketball fan I want to continue the current formats because this is the only way they can make strides. I truly believe that the 2002,2004, and 2006 USA defeats never occur without the bludgeonings of 1992, 1994, and 1996.
              Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

I personaly believe that was a mix of coaching, sub-optimal talent, underestimation and lack of training at that point. While those old dream teams trully had the talent european countries just couldn't compare with.

I don't want to see the US lose to other teams because they'd brind a D, E, or Z team, while I'd be glad if they lost due to one team closing the gap, as impossible as that sounds at this moment.
                It's kind of the same with the olympics, I'm not entirely indifferent to the subject as Olympic tournaments were one of the best bball competitions I've seen, however I can understand FIba having troubles by marketing the 2nd tier competition. World championship might never have the reach of the olympics, but has the room to grow imo and I see the logic in what FIFA has done in 92' I believe... Won't be the end of the world either way this plays out.
                Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

philippines will win the gold
                  sigpicNEVER SAY DIE PILIPINAS!

Comment

FIBA announced the criteria to participate in the three Olympic Qualifying Tournaments.

Five teams from Europe will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 3rd to 7th at Eurobasket.

Three teams from Africa will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 2nd to 4th at Afrobasket.

Three teams from America will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 3rd to 5th at Americas Championship.

One team from Oceania will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: the second at Oceania Championship.

Three teams from Asia will play one of the 3 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments: from 2nd to 4th at Asia Championship.

All teams participating at 2015 FIBA Continental Championships are elegible to host one of the three 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQT). Organisers will be selected in principle amongst teams already qualified for the OQT or amongst the best non-qualified teams for the OQT. If a team already qualified is approved as host, the best non-qualified team(s) from the respective continent will be invited to participate.

If Brazil finishes in the top 2, the 3rd place team will qualify for Rio 2016 and the 6th place team will participate in the OQT. If Brazil finishes 3rd to 5th place, the 6th place team will qualify for the OQT.

The winners of each OQT will get the pass for Rio 2016.

Comment

This is not correct i'm afraid.

Europe 3rd to 7th=5 teams
                      America3rd to 5th=3 teams
                      Africa + Asia 2nd to 4th=6 teams
                      Oceania= runner-up
                      Total=15 teams... Something is missing. FIBA released a OQT of 18 teams.

The format for the Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) for Men will see three Olympic Qualifying Tournaments (OQTs) consisting of six teams each, with the winning team from each event earning a berth for Rio 2016. The Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) for Women will remain with its proven format of a 12-teams tournament, from which 5 teams will qualify to Rio 2016. The four tournaments (3 men and 1 Women) will be held in June/July 2016.
                      My point of view: Asia and Africa ,both with 3 teams. America with 5 teams, Europe with 6 teams and Oceania's runner-up.

Comment

Originally posted by soulis79 View Post
                        This is not correct i'm afraid.

Europe 3rd to 7th=5 teams
                        America3rd to 5th=3 teams
                        Africa + Asia 2nd to 4th=6 teams
                        Oceania= runner-up
                        Total=15 teams... Something is missing. FIBA released a OQT of 18 teams.
                        +3 hosts of OQT, almost equal to wildcards

Comment

Sabonis said that to organize OQT would cost around 1.7mln euros, it would be too expensive for Lithuania

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                            Sabonis said that to organize OQT would cost around 1.7mln euros, it would be too expensive for Lithuania
                            I don't really want this to happen in Lithuania knowing how NT performs at Zalgiris Kaunas arena Just unnecessary, maximum pressure...
                            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                            Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                              I don't really want this to happen in Lithuania knowing how NT performs at Zalgiris Kaunas arena Just unnecessary, maximum pressure...
                              Yeah, our NT is like Brasil NT in football, is doin' better away from home, without all that unnecessary pressure. Also this 1.7mln is just starting price, it might get higher if more candidates will make a bid. So if we would qualify to OQT better play it somewhere else in Europe

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Spot View Post
                                So now we know, why FIBA changed the qualification round: They need money! They want to sell the three qualification tournaments and the hosts in return will earn a wild card

Let me guess - the hosts will be ... Qatar, Germany and Russia?

Get used to it. There was no need for change. Big sports organizations like FIBA FIFA make changes when only there is a new opportunity to make more money.
                                Lithuania

Olympic Games: Bronze 1992-1996-2000.
                                FIBA World Championship : Bronze 2010.
                                FIBA EuroBasket : Gold 1937-1939-2003. Silver 1995-2013-2015. Bronze 2007.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information