No announcement yet.

[Round 1 - Day 1 - Group B] Spain - Serbia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how we plan to stop Gasol. We miss Marjanovic a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Obina View Post
      Milutinov will handle that with ease!! Think about Hakeem vs Robinson in 94/95 NBA playoffs

Comment

I expect Kuzmic to get a lot of minutes, because he can guard Gasol much better than Raduljica.
        Bronze medal 2017 Eurobasket prediction Game

Comment

I'm not sure if Spain will be able to win this one. First serious game of this group together with a very relaxed preparation games.

In my opinion Gasol ability to stay focused on defense would be the key in this game and the tournament. It never was his strenght and even less at his age and with his role in the NT.
          Also it will be interesting to see which tempo Spain will try to play, as the team (specially guards) is more suited to press & run but it could be a disaster with an aging Gasol and a weak and thin inside rotation.

I think Serbia won't be 100% either, i expect many mistakes during the game, so the team with less mistakes in the final minutes will take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Obina View Post
            in this eurobasket no one can stop Pau IMO,not Marjanovic,not Raduljica,not Valanciunas,maybe only Gobert could be a tough match up for him!

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
              in this eurobasket no one can stop Pau IMO,not Marjanovic,not Raduljica,not Valanciunas,maybe only Gobert could be a tough match up for him!
              The way you stop Pau is to run him down and tire him out, and get him in foul trouble. He can't hurt you if he ain't on the field.

Comment

Spain is weak on the center. Going small-ball with Reyes won't work as no matter how much I value the things he does on court he isn't the kind of guy I expect stoping Raduljica and Kuzmić repeatedly, Hernangomez is a good talent, yet too young to make a noticable impact.
                Looking at the rooster I'm seriously wondering if Scariolo would decide to use Mirotić at C to stretch the floor to hurt Raduljica and try playing with some mobile lineups when Pau won't be on the floor, while trying to pressure on Serbian guards to eliminate their chances for a succesfull half court inside play along that.
                Than again rebounding will play a major role, especialy if going small ball, as I don't doubt Spaniards will try making the best out of their speed, where I've got a feeling Serbia doesn't excell defending those. On previous occasions it sometimes seemed Spain was too dependent on their defense, as apart from some obvious and simple offensive solutions or going 1 on 1 they relied on fast breaks to a large degree.

If Serbia manages to slow down the pace and play a smart inside-out game, be consistent in offense and stop those fast breaks through smart fouls, offensive rebounding, little TO's or fast sprint in defense their chances would increse as I don't expect Spain to change their game enormously from previous tournaments. Spain on the other hand has a chance in stretching the floor and trying to out-defend the Serbs on the perimeter. I think we might get to a point when both teams would be attacking the centers. Serbia because after getting Pau into foul troubles would pretty much be sweet for them and Spain trying to abuse Raduljica's defense that's not on the same level as his offense and basing their offense from there on as Spain rarely uses some complicated combinations in offense.
                Originally posted by Jon_Koncak
                That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

meh i dont think Serbia will really care about this game,i mean who cares no1 wants to show everything in first game of the tournament
                  Republic of CRVENA ZVEZDA

Comment

Originally posted by Joško Poljak Fan View Post
                    Spain is weak on the center. Going small-ball with Reyes won't work as no matter how much I value the things he does on court he isn't the kind of guy I expect stoping Raduljica and Kuzmić repeatedly, Hernangomez is a good talent, yet too young to make a noticable impact.
                    Looking at the rooster I'm seriously wondering if Scariolo would decide to use Mirotić at C to stretch the floor to hurt Raduljica and try playing with some mobile lineups when Pau won't be on the floor, while trying to pressure on Serbian guards to eliminate their chances for a succesfull half court inside play along that.
                    Than again rebounding will play a major role, especialy if going small ball, as I don't doubt Spaniards will try making the best out of their speed, where I've got a feeling Serbia doesn't excell defending those. On previous occasions it sometimes seemed Spain was too dependent on their defense, as apart from some obvious and simple offensive solutions or going 1 on 1 they relied on fast breaks to a large degree.

If Serbia manages to slow down the pace and play a smart inside-out game, be consistent in offense and stop those fast breaks through smart fouls, offensive rebounding, little TO's or fast sprint in defense their chances would increse as I don't expect Spain to change their game enormously from previous tournaments. Spain on the other hand has a chance in stretching the floor and trying to out-defend the Serbs on the perimeter. I think we might get to a point when both teams would be attacking the centers. Serbia because after getting Pau into foul troubles would pretty much be sweet for them and Spain trying to abuse Raduljica's defense that's not on the same level as his offense and basing their offense from there on as Spain rarely uses some complicated combinations in offense.
                    I still think the opposite is the way to go. Attack Spain with a lot of tempo and Gasol/Reyes will not be able to keep up. Try to get Gasol into trouble with a lot of penetration and pounding the ball in the paint. He doesn't defend that well and loses a lot of effectiveness when even a little winded. The moment he is out, we can dominate the paint. Whoever they put there it will be our advantage. Mirotic can't fill in at C for small ball, he has always been a step up instead of post up and is a real 3/4 tweener in NBA. Bjelica will be on him.

We will have trouble defending Llull, Rodriguez, Fernandez etc but I still think we have a better chance of winning the game when we run at them, then play a slower tempo. We have more depth, and their short/but extreme quality rotation will be more efficient if we just play half-court and try to bang the paint. We have to push the tempo and affect them and then pound the paint once we get them to switch out cause of tiredness/foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                      I
                      we have a better chance of winning the game when we run at them
                      small ball with Belica-Erceg or Bjelica-Kalinic?

Comment

Originally posted by Italian Pride View Post
                        small ball with Belica-Erceg or Bjelica-Kalinic?
                        Bjelica Kalinic definitely. Kalinic has played a lot of 3/4 tweener games of Red Star in Euroleague and has guarded a lot of Mirotic type of PF. He can do that easily. Even without going small and keeping Kalinic at 3, Bjelica at 4 we have 3 centers that can run well. That should help us in a fast game with a lot of tempo.

Comment

Reyes playing as center is a great option to us. We can't forget that we are speaking about the best rebounder of the EL history, and a all EL first team player.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                            I still think the opposite is the way to go. Attack Spain with a lot of tempo and Gasol/Reyes will not be able to keep up. Try to get Gasol into trouble with a lot of penetration and pounding the ball in the paint. He doesn't defend that well and loses a lot of effectiveness when even a little winded. The moment he is out, we can dominate the paint. Whoever they put there it will be our advantage. Mirotic can't fill in at C for small ball, he has always been a step up instead of post up and is a real 3/4 tweener in NBA. Bjelica will be on him.

We will have trouble defending Llull, Rodriguez, Fernandez etc but I still think we have a better chance of winning the game when we run at them, then play a slower tempo. We have more depth, and their short/but extreme quality rotation will be more efficient if we just play half-court and try to bang the paint. We have to push the tempo and affect them and then pound the paint once we get them to switch out cause of tiredness/foul trouble.
                            The only way I expect Mirotić to show some extraordinary performance would be through the guards drawing the attention through penetrations or through switches after screens between PF/C - If I were Scariolo, I'd want Mirotić to play against anyone but Bjelica and would try making that happen early within set play, if those simple solutions won't work, Spain normaly doesn't complicate things by keep on pushing them though.
                            I disagree about the fast pace though, tempting with Nedović but that's exactly the way to make whole Spanish perimeter feel comfortable, regardless of Pau. Fast pace within half court and regarding bball flow -definately, unless that forces TO's and with Spain they feed through those to a larger degree than most. But I don't consider as many Serbian players as much of a runners as Spaniards have. They've got their signature ways of trying to punish the team that chooses to run with them. Ribas and Vives are far from mediocre players even if they're not prooven yet at these levels, so I'd consider the perimeter depth and quality actualy being in favour of Spain.

Originally posted by Mr Chacho View Post
                            Reyes playing as center is a great option to us. We can't forget that we are speaking about the best rebounder of the EL history, and a all EL first team player.
                            Might be, I've got to see it first. Would definately work vs. Slovenia , however I doubt that's the case with that height advantage and some other intangibles Raduljica, Kuzmić have, nevermind I believe Reyes is one of the most underated players in euroleague's history and Spain would imo stand noticably improved chances in 13 with him on court.
                            That's funny shit.I cant believe there are sports fans thinking like it.It's like Federer losing to random Japanese player in round 1 of French Open but tournament director stepping in and saying "hey it was a fluke win who wants to watch a random Japanese guy in next round,Federer qualifies"

Comment

The only way I expect Mirotić to show some extraordinary performance would be through the guards drawing the attention through penetrations or through switches after screens between PF/C - If I were Scariolo, I'd want Mirotić to play against anyone but Bjelica and would try making that happen early within set play, if those simple solutions won't work, Spain normaly doesn't complicate things by keep on pushing them though.
                              I disagree about the fast pace though, tempting with Nedović but that's exactly the way to make whole Spanish perimeter feel comfortable, regardless of Pau. Fast pace within half court and regarding bball flow -definately, unless that forces TO's and with Spain they feed through those to a larger degree than most. But I don't consider as many Serbian players as much of a runners as Spaniards have. They've got their signature ways of trying to punish the team that chooses to run with them. Ribas and Vives are far from mediocre players even if they're not prooven yet at these levels, so I'd consider the perimeter depth and quality actualy being in favour of Spain.
                              You misunderstood me. The depth in the frontcourt is on our side definitely, not perimeter. I would always take our second unit over theirs in the frontcourt. We tend to play well vs teams that score on us from the perimeter, so like I said I do expect Llull, Rodriguez and buddies to have a good game vs US. The problems in our game fall apart when we can't control the paint and loose the rebounding battle. That's when we get blown up. I think that for the first time in last 10 years we finally can control the paint vs Spain and dominate the boards. No offense to Mirotic and Pau who are fantastic players, but those 2 things are not their strongest suite (rim protection, rebounding, paint control). If we can have that and try to tire them out, we can win the game. Again that's a big if, cause offensively we have to click in the backcourt and knockdown a lot of shots.

Comment

Absolutely agreed, good stuff there.
                                Definately will be the game to watch in day 1, from quality as well as tactical perspective. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information