The dawn of USA NT crisis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
    @Straight forward, what's your take on this now?
    I wouldn't say current USA issues reflect my point in this thread directly. Current disturbances is more due to the USA player's attitude towards WC and ridiculous caution which increased lately. Obviously huge money, bigger impact of agents and teams lead to this and there's that traditional "attitude" towards WCs of Norh America as well. If USA had at least one legit superstar, this USA would be so much more stable. My point was rather that After Davis (will be 27yo in OG if will show up) there's no real superstars in the horizon. Sure, now there's Zion. But did you see how many people believe he will have a great career? I'm also sceptical, he's already way too fat being a kid. So imagine all current greats who are all around thirty years old now (except Davis), retires from NT in a year or two and we suddenly are facing much more vulnerable USA teams than it used to be. Let's face it, such players as Russell, Mitchell, Booker, Brown, Tatum are not the same in terms of a talent what USA used to have with Lebron, Durrant, Curry and such. The situation may change quickly, but again, after Davis there's yet not a single TRUE SUPERSTAR in the USA at the moment. Mix that with current bad attitude towards playing for the NT and it may be much worse times for USA coming up.
    LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
    Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
    Buzelis, Lelevicius
    Murauskas, Sirvydis
    Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
      I wouldn't say current USA issues reflect my point in this thread directly. Current disturbances is more due to the USA player's attitude towards WC and ridiculous caution which increased lately. Obviously huge money, bigger impact of agents and teams lead to this and there's that traditional "attitude" towards WCs of Norh America as well. If USA had at least one legit superstar, this USA would be so much more stable. My point was rather that After Davis (will be 27yo in OG if will show up) there's no real superstars in the horizon. Sure, now there's Zion. But did you see how many people believe he will have a great career? I'm also sceptical, he's already way too fat being a kid. So imagine all current greats who are all around thirty years old now (except Davis), retires from NT in a year or two and we suddenly are facing much more vulnerable USA teams than it used to be. Let's face it, such players as Russell, Mitchell, Booker, Brown, Tatum are not the same in terms of a talent what USA used to have with Lebron, Durrant, Curry and such. The situation may change quickly, but again, after Davis there's yet not a single TRUE SUPERSTAR in the USA at the moment. Mix that with current bad attitude towards playing for the NT and it may be much worse times for USA coming up.
      The caution expressed by US NBA players certainly has a lot to do with money (or the fear of losing it due to injury), but also keep in the mind the timing of this tournament dissuaded many of our stars from competing. At its conclusion on Sept. 15th, NBA training camps begin two weeks later. That's a lot to add to an already physically enduring schedule of 82 regular season games along with post-season play.

As far as a drop in talent, perhaps there's a lull, but I think we've become so spoiled by the greatness of previous generations that this latest crop by comparison doesn't measure up. It kinda reminds me of the half generation in-between the original Dream Team and its predecessor in '94...Larry Johnson, Derrick Coleman, Shawn Kemp and Steve Smith were all fine players, but they weren't on the level of Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone or Larry Bird. If you look at other countries, Spain, Lithuania and the such, they typically keep the same unit of players for years...the US is the only program that frequently swaps out its core, usually for younger, less experienced players. Yes, star players aren't always eager to participate, but more than anything it's the lack of maintaining a stable core that hurts, not declining talent.

There's plenty of depth in the US high school and collegiate level, but it's a matter of developing what's there. For the purpose of FIBA play, I've long advocated that American players need to pick up more team concepts, especially as the world is catching up with us athletically.

Comment

Originally posted by Federoy View Post
        The caution expressed by US NBA players certainly has a lot to do with money (or the fear of losing it due to injury), but also keep in the mind the timing of this tournament dissuaded many of our stars from competing. At its conclusion on Sept. 15th, NBA training camps begin two weeks later. That's a lot to add to an already physically enduring schedule of 82 regular season games along with post-season play.

As far as a drop in talent, perhaps there's a lull, but I think we've become so spoiled by the greatness of previous generations that this latest crop by comparison doesn't measure up. It kinda reminds me of the half generation in-between the original Dream Team and its predecessor in '94...Larry Johnson, Derrick Coleman, Shawn Kemp and Steve Smith were all fine players, but they weren't on the level of Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone or Larry Bird. If you look at other countries, Spain, Lithuania and the such, they typically keep the same unit of players for years...the US is the only program that frequently swaps out its core, usually for younger, less experienced players. Yes, star players aren't always eager to participate, but more than anything it's the lack of maintaining a stable core that hurts, not declining talent.

There's plenty of depth in the US high school and collegiate level, but it's a matter of developing what's there. For the purpose of FIBA play, I've long advocated that American players need to pick up more team concepts, especially as the world is catching up with us athletically.
        I agree with what you say Federoy is one of the most accurate comments I read on this subject.

But of something if I am sure the players who are in this world are those who have the commitment and love for the national shirt of their country, and I know that this world will change the mentality of many of the players who face this tournament, because they will be at a maximum level and will be subject to pressure that can only general FIBA international basketball.

When I see one of these players who begin to stand out in their respective selections in a high-level competition such as the World Cup or the Olympics, we can see that after the tournament ends, when the player returns to his local league is noticeable in an obvious way the improvement that imprints a player this type of tournaments, so we can see very interesting confrontations where we will observe the best in the world stand out.

Comment

Team USA from the previous World Cup in 2014.

Kyrie Irving
          James Harden
          Kenneth Faried
          Stephen Curry
          Anthony Davis
          Klay Thompson
          Rudy Gay
          DeMarcus Cousins
          DeMar DeRozan
          Andre Drummond
          Mason Plumlee
          Derrick Rose

This team didn't even need a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Tesla View Post
            Team USA from the previous World Cup in 2014.

Kyrie Irving
            James Harden
            Kenneth Faried
            Stephen Curry
            Anthony Davis
            Klay Thompson
            Rudy Gay
            DeMarcus Cousins
            DeMar DeRozan
            Andre Drummond
            Mason Plumlee
            Derrick Rose

This team didn't even need a coach.
            You are looking at that team from the perspective of now, 2019. You have 3 NBA MVPs etc. But, that is not the reality. This is reality in 2014.

Guards
            - Derrick Rose was already washed up at that point, bothered by injuries. Not nearly a great player he once was.
            - Curry was just coming into his own, this was before his MVP season and first GSW title.
            - Klay Thompson, this was him before his breakout season, same like Curry
            - Kyrie Irving, eventual MVP of the competition, was coming off his worst professional season, with career lows in FG%, 3pt%, EFF etc. This is pre-Lebron Kyrie.
            - Harden was on top of his game more of less, but this was pre-D'Anthony Harden, before his MVP form

Forwards
            - Rudy Gay has already lost most of his athleticism due to injuries, playing only 50 games in 2 years before the tournament
            - DeRozan was well what he always is.
            - Anthony Davis was just a 2nd year player, nowhere near what he is now. 21 yrs old
            - Faried, who had a heck of a tournament, was off of his best season in Denver, still nowhere near an All-Star caliber player.

Centers
            - Drummond was a second year player, 21yrs old
            - Cousins was coming off of his breakthrough year in Sacramento 24 yrs old
            - Plumlee was a rookie in Brookly with 15mins a game, he was there because of Coach K.

Overall, this team ended up being a monster with 10 All Stars out of 12 players, 3 NBA MVPs etc. but at the time it was a growing team. The oldest player was Rudy Gay, age 28. Curry followed with 26. Harden, DeRozan, Rose 25. Everybody else was 24 and under. Just a bunch of young players, none of them were in their prime, outside of let's say Boogie.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
              You are looking at that team from the perspective of now, 2019. You have 3 NBA MVPs etc. But, that is not the reality. This is reality in 2014.

Guards
              - Derrick Rose was already washed up at that point, bothered by injuries. Not nearly a great player he once was.
              - Curry was just coming into his own, this was before his MVP season and first GSW title.
              - Klay Thompson, this was him before his breakout season, same like Curry
              - Kyrie Irving, eventual MVP of the competition, was coming off his worst professional season, with career lows in FG%, 3pt%, EFF etc. This is pre-Lebron Kyrie.
              - Harden was on top of his game more of less, but this was pre-D'Anthony Harden, before his MVP form

Forwards
              - Rudy Gay has already lost most of his athleticism due to injuries, playing only 50 games in 2 years before the tournament
              - DeRozan was well what he always is.
              - Anthony Davis was just a 2nd year player, nowhere near what he is now. 21 yrs old
              - Faried, who had a heck of a tournament, was off of his best season in Denver, still nowhere near an All-Star caliber player.

Centers
              - Drummond was a second year player, 21yrs old
              - Cousins was coming off of his breakthrough year in Sacramento 24 yrs old
              - Plumlee was a rookie in Brookly with 15mins a game, he was there because of Coach K.

Overall, this team ended up being a monster with 10 All Stars out of 12 players, 3 NBA MVPs etc. but at the time it was a growing team. The oldest player was Rudy Gay, age 28. Curry followed with 26. Harden, DeRozan, Rose 25. Everybody else was 24 and under. Just a bunch of young players, none of them were in their prime, outside of let's say Boogie.
              Well said

Comment

That USA 2014 team had 5 all star players from 2014 all star game.Curry and Irving was starters , already voted best pointguards in their respected conferences .Harden was already best NBA SG in 2014,he didn't start because old Kobe fans voted him in.

Klay that fits fiba perfectly and Cousins didn't even made all star game that year because in west is always star players crowded .That 2014 was one of best World cup teams USA have sended overall tallent wise.

2019 USA team have two all star players from 2019 game comming both from less starless weak east side.

2019 USA team scores in pre games is not convincing at all +9,+16,-4,+16 that's normal basketball scores.It used to be +30,+35 againts anybody except maybe Spain.

It feels more like pre NBA players, USA team would be favorite, but other elite teams on good day could give them a seriuos fight.
                Last edited by Shawshank; 08-26-2019, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
                  That USA 2014 team had 5 all star players from 2014 all star game.Curry and Irving was starters , already voted best pointguards in their respected conferences .Harden was already best NBA SG in 2014,he didn't start because old Kobe fans voted him in.

Klay that fits fiba perfectly and Cousins didn't even made all star game that year because in west is always star players crowded .That 2014 was one of best World cup teams USA have sended overall tallent wise.

2019 USA team have two all star players from 2019 game comming both from less starless weak east side.

2019 USA team scores in pre games is not convincing at all +9,+16,-4,+16 that's normal basketball scores.It used to be +30,+35 againts anybody except maybe Spain.

It feels more like pre NBA players, USA team would be favorite, but other elite teams on good day could give them a seriuos fight.
                  It was not a comparison to 2019 team, which is less talented. It's just a notion that in 2014, that team was super strong and didn't need a coach. It was a growing team, played really well together. Great selection process.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZ View Post
                    It was not a comparison to 2019 team, which is less talented. It's just a notion that in 2014, that team was super strong and didn't need a coach. It was a growing team, played really well together. Great selection process.
                    It cracks me up how people do this all the time. They can’t look back and remember how the team was perceived and who they were at the time. You nailed it with your breakdown of the players and who they were at that time.
                    It’s also funny that if you go back and read the 2014 USA team comments made here during their exhibition games and you’ll see how everyone except me was singing a different tune. They played no defense, they weren’t as good as the 2010 team and now we look back and they were the Dream Team. As I said at the time they had incredible fire power and shooting and they would outscore people whenever they needed to. This team is a lot closer to 2010 than 2014 obviously but I think they will score just as much if not more than ‘10. They also have the ability to be just as good defensively.
                    I think they are the solid favorite to win this tournament and like I’ve been saying all along only Serbia seriously scares me.
                    Silver medal 2012 Olympics prediction game.

Comment

Just today revisited the final of 2010 against Turkey. Durant, just coming off his first NBA playoff appearance, was simply a matchup nightmare. He didn't even need to get a lot of touches.
                      This time around I don't see who can fill those shoes of go-to, unstoppable scorer when the games get tough.

'19 Serbia is also a much better team than '10 Turkey or any team of that tournament.
                      This is a team that has reached two finals and now has a top 10 NBA player in the squad. In my book, and meaning no disrespect to the World and Olympic champs, they would be the favorites in a potential matchup against the USA.
                      Last edited by Buzissa; 08-29-2019, 01:37 AM.
                      Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

About the thread... Lottery draft picks are still being heavily used on American players (71% in the last 5 years, to be more precise). Since the days when good European players were overlooked or even forgotten are long gone, we can safely assume that the USA are still producing the vast majority of future stars.

Also the USA continue to dominate youth competitions.
                        No crisis in sight.
                        Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information