X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 London Olympics

GBR – Temporary basketball arena gets all clear for construction in London

LONDON (2012 Olympics) - Organizers for the London 2012 Olympics have been given a thumbs-up to begin construction on an $83million temporary basketball arena.

The project, which will see a 12,000-seat capacity venue built on the Olympic Park site in east London, received planning permission on Wednesday.

The Preliminary Round and Quarter-Finals will be staged at the venue with the Semi-Finals and Finals moving to the O2 Arena.

"The arena will be one of the largest temporary venues built for any Games and will provide a great experience for spectators and athletes," basketball arena project sponsor Paul Snoddy said.

The handball Semi-Finals and Finals will also be staged in the temporary venue before it is scaled back to a 10,000-seat capacity for the Paralympic wheelchair basketball and wheelchair rugby.

Back in November, there were discussions about basketball being moved from the Olympic Park to the old Wembley Arena but a budget review determined that did not make financial sense.

The temporary structure that has been given approval will be located in the north of the Olympic Park in Stratford, London.

It was originally planned for the west of the park but was switched after other sports were moved to the ExCel venue in the Docklands.

It remains to be seen if the temporary arena will match the excellent setting offered by the Beijing Games for journalists and athletes.

In Beijing last summer, there was an athletes area and media area inside the Wukesong Arena where all of the basketball games were played.

In London, it may be that both are housed in building containers connected to the temporary arena.

View images of the basketball arena here.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

FIBA seeks 4 more men's teams at London Olympics

GENEVA – Basketball's global governing body has asked the International Olympic Committee to include four more teams at the 2012 London Games.

FIBA said Friday that having 16 instead of 12 countries would deliver bigger audiences and a more efficient tournament.

"The game has exploded and it's time to recognize that," FIBA secretary-general Patrick Baumann told The Associated Press. "The ratings will just skyrocket and it's going to be good for the IOC, good for us."

The men's tournament has had 12 teams since the 1976 Montreal Games but has grown in stature since NBA players were first allowed to play, at Barcelona in 1992.

Baumann said it was now second only to athletics in popularity with Olympic viewers.

"We have delivered our part of the bargain to the IOC and the Olympic Games," he said. "I think we can deliver even more if we had four more teams."

Baumann said basketball has the depth to justify an increased lineup.

The United States won at Beijing last year with a team that included LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, while nations such as Brazil, France, Italy and Serbia — who also feature NBA players — watched at home.

"There is a mismatch between the real value of the game around the globe, its universality, and the fact (these countries) can't come to the games," Baumann said. "Our world championship is for 24 countries and we could easily play with 32."

A 16-team tournament would also deliver cost savings to the IOC and future organizing committees, Baumann said.

Playing to a natural bracket, rather than in six-team groups, would cut two days from the current schedule, allowing games to be completed in 13 days.

Though Baumann is a member of the IOC, he will play no part in the decision. The IOC program commission will deliver a report to the 15-member executive board, which is scheduled to decide at its meeting in Berlin in August.

Other sports are seeking a bigger place at the Olympics, starting at London. Boxing wants to introduce women's medal events and swimming has asked for eight more races.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Seems logical and easy to spread out, it's really a matter of adding one qualifier to every region except Oceania. Also a 4 groups of 4 format would make the games before knockout stage mean more.

Host
      World Champion
      Europe 3 teams
      Americas 3 teams
      Asia 2 teams
      Africa 2 teams
      Oceania 1 team
      Additional Qualifiers 3 teams
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
        Seems logical and easy to spread out, it's really a matter of adding one qualifier to every region except Oceania. Also a 4 groups of 4 format would make the games before knockout stage mean more.

Host
        World Champion
        Europe 3 teams
        Americas 3 teams
        Asia 2 teams
        Africa 2 teams
        Oceania 1 team
        Additional Qualifiers 3 teams
        IMO there's no need for additional qualifiers, it just ruins teams' preparations and that's all. If there will be 16 teams, Europe should have atleast 5-6 guaranteed spots for sure, quality wise Europe is by far better than Asia, Africa or Oceania, in Americas there're only few teams those could match with Europe, so it'd be logical that Europe would take major part of places in Olympics. Last years additional qualifiers just proved it. Anyway later there might be some corrections, but I really doubt that smth might change till 2012(I mean quality-wise).

Comment

$83 million for a temporary arena thats insanity... are you saying its going to be knocked down after the Olympics?

I hope there are no terror attacks the facts its being held in london. I see Al Quaieda have beheaded another British Hostage in the Sarah desert today.. Its awful
          Last edited by rikhardur; 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM.
          The Basketball Social Network
          http://www.hobeze.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            IMO there's no need for additional qualifiers, it just ruins teams' preparations and that's all. If there will be 16 teams, Europe should have atleast 5-6 guaranteed spots for sure,
            why don't you make the torney a 16 european teams then. this is supposed to an international event not a new version of The Euro cup.

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            in Americas there're only few teams those could match with Europe, s. Last years additional qualifiers just proved it. (I mean quality-wise).
            The U.S
            Canada
            P.R
            Argentina
            Brazil
            Uruguay
            Venezuela
            Mexico
            Panama
            The Dominican republic

those teams can beat any European team not named Spain, Greece, Russia, Serbia, Lithuania, or Turkey at any given time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post

The U.S
              Canada
              P.R
              Argentina
              Brazil
              Uruguay
              Venezuela
              Mexico
              Panama
              The Dominican republic

those teams can beat any European team not named Spain, Greece, Russia, Serbia, Lithuania, or Turkey at any given time.

With exception to Argentina and the US, all the above European teams you metioned including Croatia, France, Slovenia, Italy, Germany are better than the rest of the American teams. Well, to be honnest, Brazil and Puerto Rico could also be there with some mid level to good European teams, but I am sure that the rest of the American teams can't be anywhere near the best European teams mentioned above. They are more on par with Israel, Poland, Bulgaria, Bosnia and the likes.
              PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

While I believe that Europe is by far the best region in terms of of depth, I'd prefer they keep the system as is, and prove it on the court instead of just being handed 6 spots every olympic tournament.
                Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                  why don't you make the torney a 16 european teams then. this is supposed to an international event not a new version of The Euro cup
                  Well, 5-6 teams out of 16 is really deserved quality wise and that's damn sure. 16? don't think so, if it'd be tournament of 32 teams, then maybe

According your second part of the post, Victorious said it all, I agree with him.

Comment

If the rumors that Asia and Oceania will be merged into one region are true, then 3 spots should be allocated for this zone. Asia 2 + Oceania 1 = 3.

Comment

2012 London Olympics Basketball Arena

Sad that they will tear down the arena after the Olympics.
                      Sacramento Kings
                      HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

I think the Olympics should add more teams to competition. Instead of 12 teams that we have at the moment. Should be 16 teams. Would be better.

The comparison of the american teams to europeans teams is very realistic. What I mean with this is that what Victorious says is very realistic.

Comment

Now, the teams with a real opportunity to beat the Dream Team and win the gold medal is pretty sad.

I will say that only Spain and with the best talent is the only team capable to beat the Dream Team.

Serbia: That team is very good but still like two years away, the team is very talented but I dont think their players are ready to win the gold yet.

Lithuania: Very good team, with what I saw in Turkey at the World Cup last year still like two years away to have a real chance for gold as well Serbia.

Argentina: I dont think they are going to be in the podium in London. Great talent in this generation but the golden generation, age is taking their part in the frontcourt. Only Luis Scola is awesome, Fabricio Oberto is good, but I dont think he is going to be 100% Andres Nocioni and Hernan Jasen are excellent but the rest in the four and five position are not as good.

Brasil: Good talent, and they were the team that best play USA in Turkey. Now, this USA team is going to be better than the one of Turkey and the one that was in Beijin. Brasil is not going to have a chance with them.

Greece: Have to clasify first. good system and good players, but the team has slow down since Beijin 2008.

Puerto Rico: Great talent and should have a good coaching staff which was their achilles tandem in the past four years. Still, dont be surprise if we gave a good run for their money, a big scare to the Dream Team, remember, are game style is more close to their game and we have awesome guards. The medal is not there yet.

Dominican Republic: Should improve a lot with John Calipari as their head coach and Del Harris as their assistant. Still, not yeat for medal.

In conclusion: I just think that Spain with all their talent should be the team that should get to the Olympic final again vs. USA.

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
                            I think the Olympics should add more teams to competition. Instead of 12 teams that we have at the moment. Should be 16 teams. Would be better.

The comparison of the american teams to europeans teams is very realistic. What I mean with this is that what Victorious says is very realistic.
                            I agree! PR is strong they only lack coaching. We have good teams in the FIBA Americas. PR, USA, Canada, Brazil, Argentina. All should go to the Olympics!

Comment

Originally posted by cardenales View Post
                              Now, the teams with a real opportunity to beat the Dream Team and win the gold medal is pretty sad.
                              Please do not call team USA the Dream Team . They are not the Dream team. The Dream Team was 1992 with Jordan, Bird, Magic Johnson etc.... We no longer have a Dream Team. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information