No announcement yet.

Greek National Team 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious what the Greeks are hearing about Naz Mitrou-Long. Technically he is still a "free agent" between Greece and Canada having yet to play FIBA.
    I know Canada has invited him to camps over the years (as has Greece) but he has never shown up and I don't think Canada was ever really prioritizing him.

I was unsurprised that he never committed to Greece yet as well and thought that was more likely to happen once his career took him to Europe. I'm a little surprised he didn't end up on a Greek club but now that he is in Europe he should be much more accessible to Greece.

He'd still be a naturalized player - so I am not sure where he fits in that order (behind Dorsey? above Auguste?).

Anyways - I'm curious if the expectation is for him to join the WC Qualifier teams? I'd like to seem him play somewhere and he may fill more of need for Greece than Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
      Curious what the Greeks are hearing about Naz Mitrou-Long.
      I found an article from March where Naz's baby brother Elijah was talking about his ambitions to become member of the greek national team. In this article Elijah claimed that both he and his brother want to get a greek passport and to play for Greece. His grandfather in Montreal speaks only greek to them because his english is limited and that his mother is very enthusiastic about the fact he is playing now for PAOK in Greece.

Ο Ελάιτζα Μήτρου-Λονγκ του ΠΑΟΚ αποκάλυψε ότι σύντομα τόσο αυτός όσο και ο αδελφός του, Ναζ Μητρου-Λονγκ, θα έχουν ελληνικό διαβατήριο στα χέρια τους, προσθέτοντας ότι πρόσφατα ο ίδιος απέρριψε τον Καναδά επειδή θέλει να φορέσει την φανέλα της Ελλάδας.

If you like you can read the article youself by using https://www.deepl.com/translator. This is the best translator I found for greek so far. They used the document database of the institutions of the European Union which have to be translated into all languages of all member states to train their AI/ML software.

There was also another report claiming that Panathinaikos was interested to hire Naz but at the end the deal broke due to limited financial resources available at the moment.
      Last edited by fasoulaki; 09-15-2021, 10:24 AM.
      You live with the Freak you die with the Freak!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by fasoulaki View Post
        I found an article from March where Naz's baby brother Elijah was talking about his ambitions to become member of the greek national team. In this article Elijah claimed that both he and his brother want to get a greek passport and to play for Greece. His grandfather in Montreal speaks only greek to them because his english is limited and that his mother is very enthusiastic about the fact he is playing now for PAOK in Greece.

Ο Ελάιτζα Μήτρου-Λονγκ του ΠΑΟΚ αποκάλυψε ότι σύντομα τόσο αυτός όσο και ο αδελφός του, Ναζ Μητρου-Λονγκ, θα έχουν ελληνικό διαβατήριο στα χέρια τους, προσθέτοντας ότι πρόσφατα ο ίδιος απέρριψε τον Καναδά επειδή θέλει να φορέσει την φανέλα της Ελλάδας.

If you like you can read the article youself by using https://www.deepl.com/translator. This is the best translator I found for greek so far. They used the document database of the institutions of the European Union which have to be translated into all languages of all member states to train their AI/ML software.

There was also another report claiming that Panathinaikos was interested to hire Naz but at the end the deal broke due to limited financial resources available at the moment.

That's a good ready, thanks. Sounds pretty certain they intend to play for Greece. Hopefully they can help you.

I thought PAOK waived Elijah Mitrou Long last month?

Is that incorrect? If correct do you know where he is now?

Anyways - I dont think he is the one you want. Naz is a much better player.

Comment

• The new federation president has indicated that his priority will be to hire a Greek coach of high standard and experience.

On that note, I am glad Liolios was elected as the new Federation president. He seems to be the right man for the job.
          PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

• The greek press is discussiing a national coach tandem arrangement with Itoudis for the big tournaments and Spanoulis for the qualification phase. Lets see if this option will come true.

Comment

• Jackpot for Greece with Itoudis. Congrats, friends. Best possible solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                Jackpot for Greece with Itoudis. Congrats, friends. Best possible solution.
                Yup. I'm kinda envy of this. Really one of the top European coaches today.
                LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                Buzelis, Lelevicius
                Murauskas, Sirvydis
                Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

Curious what the Greeks are hearing about Naz Mitrou-Long. Technically he is still a "free agent" between Greece and Canada having yet to play FIBA.
                  I know Canada has invited him to camps over the years (as has Greece) but he has never shown up and I don't think Canada was ever really prioritizing him.

I was unsurprised that he never committed to Greece yet as well and thought that was more likely to happen once his career took him to Europe. I'm a little surprised he didn't end up on a Greek club but now that he is in Europe he should be much more accessible to Greece.

He'd still be a naturalized player - so I am not sure where he fits in that order (behind Dorsey? above Auguste?).

Anyways - I'm curious if the expectation is for him to join the WC Qualifier teams? I'd like to seem him play somewhere and he may fill more of need for Greece than Canada.
                  I was unsurprised that he never played neither for Canada nor for Greece. Probably, according to his level, he could play international basketball with Trinidad & Tobago. Curious to see him playing a full game (not just youtube where anybody can look like Julius Erving) I watched his debut in Italian league: 4/16 from the court but also 9 assists. His role is confusing: point-guard? Shooting-guard? Combo-guard? Somehow he looks like talented but also impalpable. It was his "rookie" game in Italy but he's 28, he should be "grown enough" to adjust better.

About his status probably he could share the team with Dorsey who played in some youngster NT but not with Auguste, whose skills anyway look closer to the level of Caribbean championships than the Eurobasket. But Greece is so low ranked now that even an average player of the Haiti's team could somehow help...
                  Γυμναστικός Σύλλογος Περιστερίου

Comment

• CSKA did not give the green light for Itoudis yet. It's just what the new federation president wants. Which in itself is not surprising.

It would be a big gain for Greece as I believe that the full roster is probably one of the best Greece could assemble since 2006. Yet, mediocre coaches, lack of continuation and player absentees makes Greece a pretty average team. With a good consistent program, player devotion and a good coach, Greece should be able to medal again. Perhaps not right away, but in two or three years from now.
                    PAO EUROPEAN CHAMPION 1996 - 2000 - 2002 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011

Comment

• Now Itoudis himself stated that he would like to become the next NT coach but CSKA has to first agree. Seems CSKA is not really happy about this development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Lebowski View Post
                        I was unsurprised that he never played neither for Canada nor for Greece. Probably, according to his level, he could play international basketball with Trinidad & Tobago. Curious to see him playing a full game (not just youtube where anybody can look like Julius Erving) I watched his debut in Italian league: 4/16 from the court but also 9 assists. His role is confusing: point-guard? Shooting-guard? Combo-guard? Somehow he looks like talented but also impalpable. It was his "rookie" game in Italy but he's 28, he should be "grown enough" to adjust better.

About his status probably he could share the team with Dorsey who played in some youngster NT but not with Auguste, whose skills anyway look closer to the level of Caribbean championships than the Eurobasket. But Greece is so low ranked now that even an average player of the Haiti's team could somehow help...
                        Hah...hard to argue with any of this. He certainly has never been regarded an important piece to Canada's plans (a prospect to watch a few years ago perhaps). And any relevance he might have had has dissipated as he aged and hasn't improved much. He has been invited to a Canadian camp or two in years past, and I thought he could make the final 12 on a WC Qualifier-level team for Canada while the NBA and EuroLeague talent is unavailable. He seemed to have a little more relevance to Greek fans as he could potential fill a shooting need - but even that interest likely has dissipated over the years as well.

And I really don't know what he is either PG? SG? Both? What role does Brescia have him playing?

Comment

And I really don't know what he is either PG? SG? Both? What role does Brescia have him playing?
                          Actually it seems he's playing a role in which he has the ball in his hands for the 80% of offensive possessions of Brescia. Last game he had 29 points, but it's also true that the opponents - Napoli - were not exactly so competitive.

He's improving, anyway, and the average level of the team is quite bad so his good performances might look like good because of the awful performances of his team mates. He clearly can pass the ball (2nd in assists in the Italian League) and I read some interviews he released: he looks really educated and with some interesting cognitive skills for a basketball player.

I am having the idea that it's possible that in his career he was a bit underrated and this is why he mostly played in joke champioships like the G-League and I think some more stable judgement about him should arrive later during the current season (now he's improving himself, let's see if he can improve the other member of his new fellowship).

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Lebowski View Post
                            Actually it seems he's playing a role in which he has the ball in his hands for the 80% of offensive possessions of Brescia. Last game he had 29 points, but it's also true that the opponents - Napoli - were not exactly so competitive.

He's improving, anyway, and the average level of the team is quite bad so his good performances might look like good because of the awful performances of his team mates. He clearly can pass the ball (2nd in assists in the Italian League) and I read some interviews he released: he looks really educated and with some interesting cognitive skills for a basketball player.

I am having the idea that it's possible that in his career he was a bit underrated and this is why he mostly played in joke champioships like the G-League and I think some more stable judgement about him should arrive later during the current season (now he's improving himself, let's see if he can improve the other member of his new fellowship).

Yeah - I've noticed he's seemed to find his footing with Brecsia and has had a few good games recently.

By calling it a joke, I think you misunderstand the G-League. It is a developmental league meant for young players to work on their game. It is not really a rigorous competition and playing to win is not necessarily the priority of management, coaches and players. There are plenty of very talented players in the G-League.

Sometime more mature players stick to the G-League too long for my liking. Naz Mitrou-Long was one of them. However they say one of the best abilities is availability. And every year guys get pulled up into the NBA just because they are there. There may be way better players out there but they are locked into European/Asian contracts. And just a couple 10 day contracts and they may be making more $$$ than they would in Europe (plus they stay in familiar surroundings near family) . And who knows - sometimes all you need is a chance to find a regular role in the NBA. Mitrou-Long was close enough to the NBA - winning two-way contracts and multiple 10 day contracts - that it was very difficult for him to leave the NBA dream. I get why he stayed too long, but I always thought he should have left to Europe years ago.

Comment

• Canada just released its 15 man roster for the 1st World Cup Qualification window - Naz Mitrou-Long was not on the list. He'd clearly be one of the better players on the roster, so the assumption is was likely invited.

I don't think Greece has announced their roster yet, but post if he ends up on the Greek roster.

Comment

Canada just released its 15 man roster for the 1st World Cup Qualification window - Naz Mitrou-Long was not on the list. He'd clearly be one of the better players on the roster, so the assumption is was likely invited.

I don't think Greece has announced their roster yet, but post if he ends up on the Greek roster.
                                According to this interview, it seems he's not Greek... yet: https://basketnews.com/news-166035-n...h-giannis.html

This means that news about having gotten the citizenship were just speculations.

About the player, probably he's the biggest surprise in the entire planet this year: Brescia is 3rd in the Italian league right now and won the last 14-15 consecutive games. Mitrou-Long is both scoring and orchestrating (maybe he's not exactly the typical old-style "play maker") and in a normal system he would be the Italian League MVP. Award the probably will end up in the end of Amedeo Della Valle, Italian national and former Ohio State, who's leading the scoring table and having a quite good season. Helped by Mitrou-Long.

So, accoring to the interview, it's quite hard to imagine him playing with Greece in the short period. Where he would be part of an interesting couple of guards with Tyler Dorsey. Anyway, according to Legabasket official site, it's also hard he can play for Canada. Here (https://legabasket.it/player/6141/nazareth-mitrou-long) he appears to be a... U.S. citizen.
                                Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-08-2022, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information