Turkish National Team 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okanial View Post
    Is it crazy to think that we have a chance if Furkan is in? I believe we would have the best center rotation in the tournament with Alperen, Sertaç and Ömer. Larkin-Furkan-Cedi-Ersan-Alperen should be a really solid starting 5. Cedi and Shane would have so much space to penetrate and dish with Alperen fighting for the offensive boards. We still have gas in second 5 with Şehmus-Melih-Sertaç and whoever we decide to use at point.

Considering no Giannis I think it is between us and Canada
    Well, this is indeed a very capable offensive team but we lack defense here and this is also a very young team. I dont expect us to qualify but there is indeed a chance and the big rotation is not a complete big rotation. We have everything offensively that a team would like to have. Deadly mid range shooter who can also give some spacing with Yurt7 and Sanli and an interior monster with the best touch around the rim but we lack rim protection. It will be a solid big rotation with Adem Bona as a defensive monster.

We shouldnt underestimate the Greeks and the Czechs btw. Its true we have more talent but they have more experience in crucial games. We dont know yet how the prep times goes and how the team reacts in do or die games.

Comment

Team with Larkin,Sanli(F4 top10 players regard stats) and Cedi as solid NBA player, can't be bad at all.

Yurtseven could be good back up for Sanli and Alperen should bring some energy in the team.

Melih should stay at home and watch games on tv. The best role for him

Comment

Originally posted by Toruko View Post
        Adem Bona is the next one I am expecting to enter the team in 2022. He is considered as a lottery pick in the draft for 2022. Gifted defender with very limited offensive power for now but can easily defend all 5 positions in Europe.

The next promising guy will be Tarik Biberovic of Fenerbahce. 2001 born guy has been showing a tremendous offensive potential and could even contribute in the Euroleague playoffs. I expect his breakout season next year. Must learn playing better defense though.
        You want Adem Bona(Nigerian), Tarik Biberovic(Bosniak), Erxhan Osmani(Albanian). Ege Demir´s(Nigerian) talent doesn´t impressive you therefore you are not high on him. What will be your next target? Lebron´s son? What means NT for you?

Comment

Originally posted by TurkfromGermany View Post
          You want Adem Bona(Nigerian), Tarik Biberovic(Bosniak), Erxhan Osmani(Albanian). Ege Demir´s(Nigerian) talent doesn´t impressive you therefore you are not high on him. What will be your next target? Lebron´s son? What means NT for you?
          Its not a matter of wanting but just a matter of availability. If you have problems with roots go and complain towards the TBF. With this kind of behavior you shouldnt also accept Turkoglu, Osman, Garuba, Mirotic and many many others but it is how it is.

And guys dont come with "Antetokounmpos were born in Greece and Garuba in Madrid". These guys are Nigerians too.

Comment

A short update about the Turkish NT. Larkin has as I already mentioned a small back injury but he is also not in good shape either. Furks arrival depends on the Sixers choking. We will have a little big scoring problem without him considering the shape of Larkin.

Everyone is very optimistic about Sehmus Hazer though. The big rotation is very deep and solid.

Comment

A short update about the Turkish NT. Larkin has as I already mentioned a small back injury but he is also not in good shape either. Furks arrival depends on the Sixers choking. We will have a little big scoring problem without him considering the shape of Larkin.

Everyone is very optimistic about Sehmus Hazer though. The big rotation is very deep and solid.
              That will be a nice counter for you, as it should be our primary weakness.
              If our primary bigs are Dwight Powell, Trey Lyles and Andrew Nicholson, there is virtually no rim protection with Canada and very poor defensively in the paint.

Comment

We had our first prep game against Russia and we won 80:62

First to the stats: Cedi 14 points 6 rebounds and 4 assists
                Alperen Sengün 13 Points 8 rebounds 2 assists
                Sertac Sanli 13 points, 9 rebounds
                Metecan Birsen 9 points and 7 rebounds

You can see here the first strength of the Turkish team. Sengün, Sanli and Yurtseven are great rolling bigs the first and the last are also great rebounders. Yurt struggled offensively and we couldnt use him in pick and role action. He still is very soft but we need his deadly mid range jumper from the bench.

Turkey will use Sengün on four for a long time, this is clear. He did a very good job against Vorontsevic and Mozgov. Mozgov is a good test because he will play against a similar big Onjrej Balvin who is of course not that talented. The first halfs perimeter defense was weak but we found our rhythm very fast. Yurtseven did a great job staying in front of guards and protecting the rim (4 Blocks)

Larkin wasnt playing so Bugrahan Tuncer was our only guy who could let the team play and he cant play any defense. Damn this will hurt us the most. Larkin wont probably play any prep game and we know what a TO prone he can be. He must be playable till Canada.

Another happy performance came from our 99 born Sehmus Hazer. A transition weapon par excellence, I dont think that anyone can stop him except the Canadians. We have to great guys who can defend and go to the rim with Osman and Hazer.

The biggest problem is here Cedi. He is taking dumb shots and thinks sometimes he has to be the hero. We dont need this. He is the top scorer but with 4/12. This team needs Mert Akay if he is ready or not. Another worrysome point is outside shooting from our wings. Sehmus Hazer as well as Metecan Birsen are very streaky shooters. They make step back pull up shots and cant make the open ones. Dont know what to expect but without a Larkin with 60% at least we will struggle making the plays thats clear.

Comment

In the second and back to back game against Russla we saw what the problems could be. Bugrahan was a TO machine and we chocked time to time. Of course preps with the main players started two days ago but everything what I had described came true, poor shooting and play making.

Ersan Ilyasovas team lost yesterday and he is theoretically available. There are no news about that but we could really use him.

Comment

In the second and back to back game against Russla we saw what the problems could be. Bugrahan was a TO machine and we chocked time to time. Of course preps with the main players started two days ago but everything what I had described came true, poor shooting and play making.

Ersan Ilyasovas team lost yesterday and he is theoretically available. There are no news about that but we could really use him.
                    Lost?
                    What was the score? Any player stats?
                    I enjoyed your write up yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                      Lost?
                      I enjoyed your write up yesterday.
                      64:77 but I additionally must say it was our second game starting with the prep. Russia was more ready with six prep games. The first half was head on and the second half they stopped playing. Horrible perimeter defense.

Miamis Ömer Yurtseven was our best player today with 10 points 4 rebounds and one block. Did a great job defensively. Cedi Osman with 15 points but 4/15. He is trying to get his rhythm and Sertac Sanli with 9 points. Still no Larkin though.

The general problem of the Turkish NT is scoring, Without the main scorers Furkan Korkmaz, Ersan Ilyasova and Shane Larkin it was quite obvious. Our big man rotation is nevertheless a huge weapon. Two of these 3 mentioned players and we are a serious threat for Canada i guess, also from what you have told. From time to time the team looked unimaginative.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                        Lost?
                        This should answer those questions.

Comment

Our worst player(compared with minutes on the court) and the biggest problem is Melih Mahmutoglu. Simple as that

We never were high percentage shooting team, never. And when only one so called pure shooter in the team with just one role, to take and make some shoots, has 2-8 result, with awful all other categories that is definition of disaster. and wrong tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by janketa View Post
                            Our worst player(compared with minutes on the court) and the biggest problem is Melih Mahmutoglu. Simple as that

We never were high percentage shooting team, never. And when only one so called pure shooter in the team with just one role, to take and make some shoots, has 2-8 result, with awful all other categories that is definition of disaster. and wrong tactics.
                            If we have the full team including Furkan, Melih shouldn't see floor more than 10 minutes a day. Same goes for Buğrahan with all his turnovers. Cedi will see a decreased role and he can focus to his drives which he is great at instead of 3 pt shooting and leave that to Furkan, Larkin and Ersan. Our biggest strength is actually our players in paint. We need to focus more on them instead of playing with our wings. Sertaç and Ömer Faruk are good shooters and Alperen can dominate almost any big. We can play inside out for 3 points shooting. Because our guards are lacking creativty mainly and Larkin, Furkan are generally score first kinda guards. Top playmakers in the team is going to be Cedi which he can do if he focus on facilitating. I hope we have clearer roles before the tournament but it is going to be hard without playing much prep games

Comment

OK, guys news time! Furkan Korkmaz will join the team in Canada and he wont fly to Turkey since there is no time left for that. This solves a big shooting problem from the bench. Furk is still a bad defender but not a horrible one anymore and a better one in international games. He brings height as well.

Its not clear if Ersan will join the team though.

The backcourt is still probematic but now has more options. Furk is fatigue but this goes for nearly everyone.

In case Ersan will join the team our starting lineup will be like this:

Larkin, Hazer, Osman, Ilyasova, Sanli

and the bench

Tuncer, Korkmaz, Birsen, Sengün, Yurt7

Our biggest problem will be Larkins shape. I have no doubt about his ambitions to let the team play but he will need 2-3 games to find his rhythm and pace. Next problem will be Osmans decision making. His general shape is here not the biggest concern but he will need his shooting rhythm too.

The first lineup can kinda defend. Not a bad defending lineup but the second one will struggle a lot. Nevertheless its the full strength of the Turkish NT.

The destiny game will be game 2 against Czech Republic. If we win this game (we are deeper and more talented for sure but they have a far better chemistry) I am sure we will beat the Greeks also in the semi final too. If we lose though, Canada will be awaiting. I am at this point not sure if this is a better path or not. Canada will be a mess chemistry wise in the first games more than us.

Facing Greece in the third game is even better. Calathes had a very exhausting season with Barca and Spanoulis having an injury is very old. I think if we make them run, this will open up new chances for us.

Comment

I think this is a good observation and key to success for beating Greece. Turkey/Czechs will try to pace up, Greece will try to slow down. It will get physicall. I think that this could be a good game in potential semifinal/final. I like this Turkish roster but physicality is somehow a little of a weakspot at first view (even I don't know all the players so good, speaking about the "known" names).

Greece is out of some reason a little underrated in this board. They aren't so bad like people write constantly. There are several good players even though Papepetrou seems to be quite irreplacable for them this year - but Papapetrou is a little of a ballhog at least in PAO, maybe it makes them more fluid without him. Anyways, huge minus summa summarum.

One of those games where the phrase that rebounding wins games is really important. Who controls boards and doesn't turn over will win most probably. Korkmaz is huge upgrade for Turkey but I am always sceptical if players come without playing a test match to the team - especially from NBA. It's simply too much of a difference.

I don't see clear favourite in this tournament, it will really be good basketball.

Btw, are you sure that Larkin will play point and not SG? I think this could be more helpful to let him play his most comfortable position. In Efes he looks much better at SG than at PG for example.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information