Future Wing Men of Philippine Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
    Sam Daghlas is not a wing but a point guard that can play the 2. The wingman on their team was Enver Soobzokov.
    Ok. But he plays 2 like a Wing. But ok. We can take him out.

And stay with other 3

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post

I am thinking of a Filipino Player that time to be in 5th place. But I cannot think of anyone
      That's becoz maikli lang talaga yung service ng mga top National team wings natin like Dondon Hontiveros & Jeff Chan.

The way I see it, you got El Khatib & Bahrami as the top 2 wingmen in Asia in the last 15 years, then the rest of the wingmen are far below. Even TJ Moon, as good as he was but his stint with the S. Korean national team wasn't that long.
      "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

• Originally posted by JAMSKIE View Post
        That's becoz maikli lang talaga yung service ng mga top National team wings natin like Dondon Hontiveros & Jeff Chan.

The way I see it, you got El Khatib & Bahrami as the top 2 wingmen in Asia in the last 15 years, then the rest of the wingmen are far below. Even TJ Moon, as good as he was but his stint with the S. Korean national team wasn't that long.
        I agree. I started watching international ball when thoae 2 were on their prime and Moon isn't on their level. Even current wings feels lacking compared to those 2.

IMO Gabe is our best wing in the last 15 years.

Comment

• The way I see it, the Korean wings are/were one-dimensional lang eh. They don't have the all-around skills of a Bahrami or an El Khatib.

I think Japan's Makoto Hiejima has potential to become among Asia's all-time elite wings.

Speaking of all-time elite wings of Asian basketball, does Allan Caidic deserve to be in the list?

I think its very safe to say that both El Khatib & Bahrami deserved to be in the list as among Asia's elite wings of all time.
          "A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power, when you stand before God, you cannot say, 'But I was told by others to do thus,' or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice." - King Baldwin IV

Comment

The way I see it, the Korean wings are/were one-dimensional lang eh. They don't have the all-around skills of a Bahrami or an El Khatib.

I think Japan's Makoto Hiejima has potential to become among Asia's all-time elite wings.

Speaking of all-time elite wings of Asian basketball, does Allan Caidic deserve to be in the list?

I think its very safe to say that both El Khatib & Bahrami deserved to be in the list as among Asia's elite wings of all time.
            depends on how long u want to go back when u say "all time"

Comment

• Wait. First of all. How do we define wings?

SG and SF are considered wings right? But especially the SF.

Are Combo Guards Wing because they can play SG?

And Now some posters here like IPC is promoting another wing for PF.

So what really is a wing?

Based on google, it refers to the SG and SF

BUT

Personaly, I will define it as an all around Tall and Versatile player, a deadly outside threat, but also a great slasher.

Comment

• Originally posted by neo View Post
                depends on how long u want to go back when u say "all time"
                Let's say as far back as the 60's. Of course among the most popular wingman at that time was South Korea's Shin Dong Pa.

Comment

• Originally posted by mathematicianrcg View Post
                  Wait. First of all. How do we define wings?

SG and SF are considered wings right? But especially the SF.

Are Combo Guards Wing because they can play SG?

And Now some posters here like IPC is promoting another wing for PF.

So what really is a wing?

Based on google, it refers to the SG and SF

BUT

Personaly, I will define it as an all around Tall and Versatile player, a deadly outside threat, but also a great slasher.
                  I would consider combo guards as guards, not wings.

Among the best combo guards in Phi basketball in the last 3 decades are/were Ato Agustin, Terrence Romeo, Paul Lee.

Comment

I would consider combo guards as guards, not wings.

Among the best combo guards in Phi basketball in the last 3 decades are/were Ato Agustin, Terrence Romeo, Paul Lee.
                    Basically

Combo Guards - PG/SG

While

Wings - SG, SF, or GF(Guard Forward/Point Forward)

Comment

The way I see it, the Korean wings are/were one-dimensional lang eh. They don't have the all-around skills of a Bahrami or an El Khatib.

Is Hiejima a better wing than Baba and Yuta?

TBH I've never watched prime Caidic play. Isn't he mostly know for his shooting?

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post

TBH I've never watched prime Caidic play. Isn't he mostly know for his shooting?
                        Right now, I think in the FIBA game, Hiejima is better than Baba. Things might be different in 2 to 3 yrs time, you know what I mean. I think Yuta Watanabe is a "four" so I don't consider him in the discussion.

About Caidic, his prime was during the late 80's & early& mid-90's. You want an idea how deadly a shooter he was? I recomend you watch the RP vs. South Korea game in the 1994 Asian Games. Watch it in Allan Caidic youtube channel. Caidic's 3-pt shooting in the 1st half of that game was flawless.

Comment

• Originally posted by ja.he View Post
                          Sam Daghlas is not a wing but a point guard that can play the 2. The wingman on their team was Enver Soobzokov.
                          Zaid Abbas is their wing.

Soobzokov is their shooter.
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by thatweirdguy View Post

How tall is Hiejima, 6'3? Is that really tall enough to play wing in the highest level? For me a wing is somebody fast enough to defend the perimeter but big enough to rebound and play in paint if needed. Not all 6'8 players can be as skilled as Lebron. But you need to have players that can defend the likes of him. Do you expected Hiejima to defend international wings? But Watanabe can. That is why the 3 and D position became famous. You need guys who can defend the better and bigger wings. They dont have to have excellent handles or shooting. Just being able to hit an open 3 is good enough.

Comment

Right now, I think in the FIBA game, Hiejima is better than Baba. Things might be different in 2 to 3 yrs time, you know what I mean. I think Yuta Watanabe is a "four" so I don't consider him in the discussion.

About Caidic, his prime was during the late 80's & early& mid-90's. You want an idea how deadly a shooter he was? I recomend you watch the RP vs. South Korea game in the 1994 Asian Games. Watch it in Allan Caidic youtube channel. Caidic's 3-pt shooting in the 1st half of that game was flawless.
                              Is this the same game wherein the current ABAP executive Sir Ed Picson who use to work as a PBA analyst before keeps on interpreting the finger pointing gesture of a Korean coach everytime the Hitman is on the court, that classic one liner " Ito ang Buwesit sa Buhay ko eh", how I wish one off these days Mr. Sev Sarmemta and Mr. Ed Picson works in a basketball game as an analyst and provide us those classic rib tickling sense of humor the old fashion way, Well some of you may consider it as corny and non sense but most of the time their on the game sense of humor is just hilarious.

Comment

Let's say as far back as the 60's. Of course among the most popular wingman at that time was South Korea's Shin Dong Pa.
                                d problem with caidic and our pba players is that they did not participate regularly in regional competitions, up until d time of eala where participating in qualifiers for olympics and world championships became d norm. so it is difficult to compare. and even for d asian games, they only started competing in 1990 when professionals were finally allowed to play.

if we will not factor regularity of participation and based d assessment on production, impact, and success for every tournaments participated in, he's among d best wingmen in asia.

for one, he won as mvp of fiba asia cup (then known in a different name) when he starred to help our team win d 1986 asian championship.

he was also our star player in d asian games in 1986 (bronze), 1990 (silver), 1994 (4th) and served as veteran backup in 1998 (bronze).

if pba players played in ABC in 1991, 1993 and 1995, we could have had a great shot to play in d 1992 and 1996 olympics and 1994 world championships because it was caidic's best years (1990 to 1995) and there were two slots for asian teams then for d olympics.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information