2020 Olympic Qualifying Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
    If nba finals finishes in middle of October and right now nba want to start new season at december 1st? thats very unrelistic and player assocation leaders was suprised when they saw that date .Remember if nba regular season game 1 is on 1st of december,nba teams need atleast 3 weeks preparation.So nba 2020/2021 preasson starts after 3 weeks of nba finals?

Those nba dates are not fixed and will change depending on situation atleast thats how nba insiders are talking.I give more chance that Olympics will again postpone because of corona second strike than nba first game of new season played on 1st of december. First regular season game will be closer around christmas date my gues would be.

In hockey its alot easier to come from NHL playoofs and play for NT when 20 players are changing each other over and over again .In basketball is not that simple come from usa and play with NT without no preparation,no team chemistry even for the highest iq players.

So lets say Canada NT start qualification tournament with 8 players and will leave 4 open places in roster to later players from nba to join NT in middle of the tournament like in hockey world champ? In Hockey its easier leave couple empty places when you have 22 players roster.

Players nba team eliminated on june 23rd and you are flying to other side of the world, changing time zone and playing some semifinal qualification must win game on june 28th that would be funny But in such ridiculous times right now its possible it can happen.But in such case we can forget about good quality basketball when NT best players that teams depend alot from its not with team all preparation time.

It will be all about who will survive and adapt best to such ridiculous possible scenerios.

Announcement from the NBA said they are targeting a December 1 start.
    I assume a shortened off -season is acceptable considering they have just had three months off - 4 by the time this starts up again.

December 1st start could mean a early June end of the regular season. I'm not saying it is going to happen, but it ups the possibility of NBA players who miss the playoffs trying to play ( and having a couple weeks to practice together).

Comment

• If NBA players aren't able to make it, I still think the USA could compete for gold with a well coached team comprised of the best Americans playing overseas/out of work NBA vets/top G-league guys.

Comment

• NBA considers start in 2021 besides planning for December 2020. But according to WOJ they plan to pause for a month to give Olympic participants possibility to play at the tournament. Which would automatically mean that they won't be available for the Olympic qualifiers. Interesting stuff to come up. A lot of bubbles planned for NBA season 2021.

Comment

• If it is true it means no Ilyasova and no Korkmaz for us. Ilyasova would be a question mark because its not sure if he gets his extention with the Bucks (I doubt it). Yurtseven depends on who is gonna draft him. We really should skip the qualifiers in terms of running unexperienced but talented guys + Cedi and Larkin.

Comment

• I like that. Best players would play in Oympics and well qualification at this point wouldn't promote any flukes. Most fundamentally sound and deepest teams would qualify for Olympic games. If you're lose 1 or 2 NBA players for qualification and you collapse, you ain't deserve to be in Olympics.
            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
            Buzelis, Lelevicius
            Murauskas, Sirvydis
            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
              If it is true it means no Ilyasova and no Korkmaz for us. Ilyasova would be a question mark because its not sure if he gets his extention with the Bucks (I doubt it). Yurtseven depends on who is gonna draft him. We really should skip the qualifiers in terms of running unexperienced but talented guys + Cedi and Larkin.
              But Cedi will play NBA, too. He won't be available. I don't know if Larkin will play this tournament if you send him with Tuncer, Arna and Birsen. Seriously, do you believe in that? I highly doubt it. I think Turkey will try to collect the best available like everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
                But Cedi will play NBA, too. He won't be available. I don't know if Larkin will play this tournament if you send him with Tuncer, Arna and Birsen. Seriously, do you believe in that? I highly doubt it. I think Turkey will try to collect the best available like everyone else.
                Cedi will play just regular season. Regular season isnt a problem. It should end mid June which should be very fine. And of course Larkin will play no matter what unless he is injured otherwise taking the turkish citizenship is pure stupidity and he wont play just with Arna Tuncer or Birsen. He will play with a whole new generation of talented player like Sengün, Bona and Hazer.

In fact its even better like this. The loss of Korkmaz is heavy but not that severe like Satoransky for Czech, Giannis for Greece, let alone all the losses of Canada. It wont be enough but it isnt important either. Its a very unique chance for the young guys.

Comment

Cedi will play just regular season. Regular season isnt a problem. It should end mid June which should be very fine. And of course Larkin will play no matter what unless he is injured otherwise taking the turkish citizenship is pure stupidity and he wont play just with Arna Tuncer or Birsen. He will play with a whole new generation of talented player like Sengün, Bona and Hazer.

In fact its even better like this. The loss of Korkmaz is heavy but not that severe like Satoransky for Czech, Giannis for Greece, let alone all the losses of Canada. It wont be enough but it isnt important either. Its a very unique chance for the young guys.
                  You didn't get it obviously. The regular season will run over the whole summer until autumn. They pause just for Olympics. Not one NBA player will play qualifiers.

I really doubt your scenario. Would be suicidal for Turkey. But anyways, not my business.

Comment

You didn't get it obviously. The regular season will run over the whole summer until autumn. They pause just for Olympics. Not one NBA player will play qualifiers.

I really doubt your scenario. Would be suicidal for Turkey. But anyways, not my business.
                    If the regular season starts in December instead of October. How can it run till Autumn. If it starts in December it will end mid June instead of mid April.

You cant do more than losing but i cant say I am sure because I dont trust Sarica a bit but in case you are right and no NBA player can participate even they dont play post season it doesnt matter anyway but you can be sure that I am observing every process about the turkish bb.

Comment

If the regular season starts in December instead of October. How can it run till Autumn. If it starts in December it will end mid June instead of mid April.

You cant do more than losing but i cant say I am sure because I dont trust Sarica a bit but in case you are right and no NBA player can participate even they dont play post season it doesnt matter anyway but you can be sure that I am observing every process about the turkish bb.
                      Because it won't start in December but end of January 2021 as I mentioned. Like written initially...

Comment

Because it won't start in December but end of January 2021 as I mentioned. Like written initially...
                        Hmm yes i see. Well internet says there are many consideration but if the season starts in January 2021 many nba player dependent teams are screwed.

Comment

• The source is Wojnarowski. I think that even Adam Silver isn't closer to deciding than him

Problems are the same for everyone, I agree of course. But for example Slovenia and Croatia will be hurt with this solution in a way that isn't even worth mentioning. Besides all it's the best solution in my opinion. Croatia is a decent team with it's NBA roster, but without them they will have a hard time in even being equal besides great homecourt in Split.

The second big problem that will occur are a) health insurance for top players, b) heavy pressure from their teams to skip if they are in play off positions.

Interesting stuff to come up for next season. At the end I think the best European teams will be able to make a roster of EL players that should or could survive the qualifiers. But it will be a tough ride. The tournament that interests me most is naturally the one in Belgrade and Italy definitely has grown chances now, especially if Galo continues in Europe next year. And this isn't the only example. Germany is a team that was surely not the favourite in Split for example but they have a very balanced, disciplined and quite deep roster with experienced EL players that can survive tournaments like this. Lithuania is the clear favourite in Kaunas with this solution and the only 100% sure pick if there won't be an epic breakdown.

The tournament in Canada will be extremely interesting. No MVP, no Satoransky, no Ilyasova, Korkmaz, Osman, no SGA, Murray, Joseph, Brooks, Olynyk and many more for Canada. Canada seems beatable out of nothing besides homecourt. This tournament is definetely the most interesting especially with this development. Totally unpredictable. I must admit that I also like Lithuanian colleague before mentioned, agree that you have to be able to have a balanced roster even without NBA players and if you don't have, you don't have to complain. It's the same for all.

Comment

The source is Wojnarowski. I think that even Adam Silver isn't closer to deciding than him

Problems are the same for everyone, I agree of course. But for example Slovenia and Croatia will be hurt with this solution in a way that isn't even worth mentioning. Besides all it's the best solution in my opinion. Croatia is a decent team with it's NBA roster, but without them they will have a hard time in even being equal besides great homecourt in Split.

The second big problem that will occur are a) health insurance for top players, b) heavy pressure from their teams to skip if they are in play off positions.

Interesting stuff to come up for next season. At the end I think the best European teams will be able to make a roster of EL players that should or could survive the qualifiers. But it will be a tough ride. The tournament that interests me most is naturally the one in Belgrade and Italy definitely has grown chances now, especially if Galo continues in Europe next year. And this isn't the only example. Germany is a team that was surely not the favourite in Split for example but they have a very balanced, disciplined and quite deep roster with experienced EL players that can survive tournaments like this. Lithuania is the clear favourite in Kaunas with this solution and the only 100% sure pick if there won't be an epic breakdown.

The tournament in Canada will be extremely interesting. No MVP, no Satoransky, no Ilyasova, Korkmaz, Osman, no SGA, Murray, Joseph, Brooks, Olynyk and many more for Canada. Canada seems beatable out of nothing besides homecourt. This tournament is definetely the most interesting especially with this development. Totally unpredictable. I must admit that I also like Lithuanian colleague before mentioned, agree that you have to be able to have a balanced roster even without NBA players and if you don't have, you don't have to complain. It's the same for all.
                            I will believe this end January thing when its a finished thing. Complain or not you cant change a thing anyway but different countries will be affected in different ways. Old Greece will be affected the least because they have been playing with the same roster for 100 years. Czech are affected more because its the point guard who is the star of the team. Nevertheless its a team with chemistry. We must see about Turkey with Larkin and without the 4 NBA player. Sure thing is that there is no time for preparations and although there will be new guys who will have had a great season Turkey will be the team which is most affected after Canada.

On the other side there is no chance for Italy and Slovenia for example but as you said its about having guys with bigger roles in Eurolegue, Eurocup and BCL. It will be fun to watch anyway so no problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                              I like that. Best players would play in Oympics and well qualification at this point wouldn't promote any flukes. Most fundamentally sound and deepest teams would qualify for Olympic games. If you're lose 1 or 2 NBA players for qualification and you collapse, you ain't deserve to be in Olympics.

How about if a country loses 22 NBA players?

Comment

I will believe this end January thing when its a finished thing. Complain or not you cant change a thing anyway but different countries will be affected in different ways. Old Greece will be affected the least because they have been playing with the same roster for 100 years. Czech are affected more because its the point guard who is the star of the team. Nevertheless its a team with chemistry. We must see about Turkey with Larkin and without the 4 NBA player. Sure thing is that there is no time for preparations and although there will be new guys who will have had a great season Turkey will be the team which is most affected after Canada.

On the other side there is no chance for Italy and Slovenia for example but as you said its about having guys with bigger roles in Eurolegue, Eurocup and BCL. It will be fun to watch anyway so no problem.

Canada is in a very interesting predicament.But we realistically could make it out of the qualifier with the right pieces, a proper training camp and some actual chemistry formed.

Assuming no NBA players at all, I'd rate our top player pool as follows:

Tyler Ennis
                                Kevin Pangos
                                Nik Stauskas
                                Dylan Ennis
                                Phil Scrubb
                                Kassius Robertson
                                Oliver Hanlan
                                Kaza Keane
                                Aaron Best
                                Andy Rautins

Aaron Doornekamp
                                Dyshawn Pierre
                                Andrew Nicholson
                                Melvin Ejim
                                Kyle Wiltjer
                                Thomas Scrubb
                                Connor Morgan
                                MiKyle McIntosh
                                Owen Klassen

Bolded are guys on the 2019 World Cup team. A number of the others played in multiple the WC Qualifier windows.

This seems the top 18 non NBA player pool. Maybe missing a few guys. We have one center in the mix and he is not very good (Owen Klassen).

But there is a chance at chemistry here as the bulk of the World Cup team would be hypothetically available (8 of 12 players). If we keep those guys in place and swaped out Cory Joseph (NBA), Brady Heslip (retired), Khem Birch (NBA) and Andrew Nembhard (NCAA) for guys like Tyler Ennis, Nik Stauskas, Dyshawn Pierre, and Andrew Nicholson. That might not be that bad a team (still really weak at center) and capable of Qualifying.

Our best hope of a Qualifying team probably comes from the guys above. At least many of these guys have familiarity with each other from the WC and WC Qualifiers.

But if non-playoff NBA players become available? That really opens the door. Not that these guys would miss the playoffs next year, but as an example this year the following missed the playoffs - Tristan Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, Mychal Mulder, Brandon Clarke, Dillon Brooks, Cory Joseph, Nickeil Alexander Walker, RJ Barrett, Trey Lyles. If we could pull a few of those guys in - that would change our prospects dynamically.

The other problem? We wouldn't have Nick Nurse....

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information