Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Katastroika View Post
    Poor Serbia. At least he loves Zvezda. Which is pretty equally fine to me
    This Zvezda love is a bit strange, knowing that he hate everything about his father.
    previously known as Beno

Comment

• Originally posted by Killer Bob View Post
      And we are still current Eurobasket champions. Nobody will say much, if Slovenia misses qualifications, but I wonder what will happen in Lithuania, if you don’t qualify? I always liked Lithuania, was a big fan of Sabonis, Saras...but I am a bit disappointed with your production of new players lately. Not much to cheer about, maybe you should bring some American guard?
      Lithuania has chosen to go after a Canadian PF/SF instead!

I understand Ignas Brazdeikis was born in Lithuania so it is a little different - I am not here to debate anything here (lets not get into it please), I'm just curious if anyone knows if he is considered a naturalized player per the definition of the rules. He does not have Lithuanian citizenship currently (though he did as a baby), he played for Canada in FIBA post age 17, and will be getting his Lithuanian citizenship/passport after age 16. That seems to count as a naturalized player by the definition of the rules unless there are special circumstance for "restoring" citizenship one once had.

I didn't think too much of him to start the season, but he is now playing very well in the G-League, he might actually become a regular NBA player. This is the first I am seeing that.

Comment

This Zvezda love is a bit strange, knowing that he hate everything about his father.
        I really don't care about that, it's sympathic to me that he supports my team, not more or less. I absolutely don't consider him Serbian or something. And most importantly I am no 60 year old woman to judge whom he hates or loves in his family.

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
          Lithuania has chosen to go after a Canadian PF/SF instead!

I understand Ignas Brazdeikis was born in Lithuania so it is a little different - I am not here to debate anything here (lets not get into it please), I'm just curious if anyone knows if he is considered a naturalized player per the definition of the rules. He does not have Lithuanian citizenship currently (though he did as a baby), he played for Canada in FIBA post age 17, and will be getting his Lithuanian citizenship/passport after age 16. That seems to count as a naturalized player by the definition of the rules unless there are special circumstance for "restoring" citizenship one once had.
          I remember one case when Vasil Evtimov played for France in 2001 Eurobasket, then as Bulgarian born to Bulgarian parents he changed basketball nationality and played for Bulgaria in 2009 Eurobasket. In Bulgarian NT next to Evtimov played naturalized American Earl Rowland. So if the rules stayed the same - Brazdeikis also shouldn't be counted as naturalized player, but not sure tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
            I remember one case when Vasil Evtimov played for France in 2001 Eurobasket, then as Bulgarian born to Bulgarian parents he changed basketball nationality and played for Bulgaria in 2009 Eurobasket. In Bulgarian NT next to Evtimov played naturalized American Earl Rowland. So if the rules stayed the same - Brazdeikis also shouldn't be counted as naturalized player, but not sure tho
            The naturalization rules were updated and tightened a few years ago so who knows what it is now. I suppose it should not matter unless Lithuania plans to naturalize another player.

Comment

• Even if Brazdeikis case would be naturalization, let's not compare naturalization of random American who suddenly should be Turkish, Croatian ect, and naturalization of pure Lithuanian by blood (he's not only born and lived in Kaunas for three/four years, but both of his parents are pure Lithuanians) to his homeland. It's black and white really
              LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
              Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
              Buzelis, Lelevicius
              Murauskas, Sirvydis
              Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                This is a good example. "Evtimov is the only player to ever compete at EuroBasket for two countries". His brother played for France, too.
                the way I understand it, FIBA is a bit more flexible than usual towards countries with limited top level talent. Ermal Kuqo was also allowed to play for his native country, Albania.
                5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• nationality is bit more complicated and nuanced matter in Europe, especially in small countries from southern and south eastern region, where the line between being for example a turk or albanian is quite blurred very often. Same goes for the whole bunch of balkan countries, who are intertwined and connected to each other historically and culturally. Not so much for the people from the other continents, who have no cultural or emotional ties to the europeans...so I'd say having a player from your neighbouring country represent your NT is not exactly the same as having an american or some african fella proudly wearing your country's colors

Comment

• Originally posted by mojo13 View Post
                    The naturalization rules were updated and tightened a few years ago so who knows what it is now. I suppose it should not matter unless Lithuania plans to naturalize another player.
                    Yeah, there were changes, but I'm not sure if it had any impact on such cases, hard to say. Anyway, it really doesn't matter for Lithuania for now. First of all, we ain't planning any naturalization, as I wrote in previous page, our bball community is against it, from majority of fans till players, coaches, federation. Even what comes to foreign head-coach. Unless some other Brazdeikis case would appear. Then it would be interesting to know the rules. Other than that, it's really complicated process to get LT citizenship, even for Brazdeikis it's still not for granted that he will get one. He probably will as this case is so clear that I see no reason why he shouldn't to. Maybe president advisors on this matter can say that he is not a person who did a lot for Lithuania, which is one of criteria to get Lith passport, but it can be beaten by potential future benefit, overall new president is more open minded and has final word on it, so I hope there won't be any obstacles

Originally posted by Levenspiel View Post
                    This is a good example. "Evtimov is the only player to ever compete at EuroBasket for two countries". His brother played for France, too.
                    the way I understand it, FIBA is a bit more flexible than usual towards countries with limited top level talent. Ermal Kuqo was also allowed to play for his native country, Albania.
                    True, Kuqo also. And while writing this I recalled a case of Anton Gavel, even reverse case, from Slovakia to Germany back in 2015. But I don't remember if he was counted as naturalized or not. These are probably the only 3 cases in bball what comes to senior teams

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                      nationality is bit more complicated and nuanced matter in Europe, especially in small countries from southern and south eastern region, where the line between being for example a turk or albanian is quite blurred very often. Same goes for the whole bunch of balkan countries, who are intertwined and connected to each other historically and culturally. Not so much for the people from the other continents, who have no cultural or emotional ties to the europeans...so I'd say having a player from your neighbouring country represent your NT is not exactly the same as having an american or some african fella proudly wearing your country's colors
                      Interesting point. Imagine Turkoglu, Okur, Mahmutoglu, Erden etc playing for Bosnia in another world, as their grandparents were of Bosnian decent. They should be eligible by FIBA rules.

Originally posted by Mindozas View Post
                      True, Kuqo also. And while writing this I recalled a case of Anton Gavel, even reverse case, from Slovakia to Germany back in 2015. But I don't remember if he was counted as naturalized or not. These are probably the only 3 cases in bball what comes to senior teams
                      Oh Gavel, too, yes. I've never understood the logic in that one but it's there.
                      5 out 6 scientists say Russian roulette is safe.

Comment

• Are you guys somehow addicted to naturalizations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Toruko View Post
                          Are you guys somehow addicted to naturalizations?
                          Its the Free Agency of FIBA.

Everyone loves the July 1st madness in the NBA and the EuroLeague off-season signing speculation - this is the closest we've got to it in FIBA.

Comment

• Jordan Morgan to play for Slovenia. Random American guy who happened to play one season in Ljubljana.
                            LTU NT will snatch Eurobasket 2029 title with this roster:

Jokubaitis, Marciulionis, Laurencikas
                            Indrusaitis, Brazdeikis, Rubstavicius
                            Buzelis, Lelevicius
                            Murauskas, Sirvydis
                            Tubelis, Krivas

Comment

• Originally posted by Straight forward View Post
                              Jordan Morgan to play for Slovenia. Random American guy who happened to play one season in Ljubljana.
                              I would much rather have Randolph, who never played in Ljubljana. I guess Luka and 4 random guys could be enough.
                              previously known as Beno

Comment

I would much rather have Randolph, who never played in Ljubljana. I guess Luka and 4 random guys could be enough.
                                So is this a final decision for Slovenia for OQT? No more chasing Randolph or any other foreign player?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information