Philippines at 2019 Fiba World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tootch View Post
    in recent memory 22 y/o is the youngest player included in our gilas team that is Terrence Romeo back in 2015 coach tab gave him a lot of minutes and he made an impact. thirdy is the other one but less playing time. its funny everytime our sports analysts/commentator saying gilas is rebuilding (after RDO, pingris, alapag and etc retired playing from the NT) but the age of our players ranging 26 to 32 y/o unlike the other countries 18-25 y/o. lol.
    Blame that on our “mamamain” culture.

Seriously, guys like Junemar, Jayson, Kiefer, and Lee should have started playing for the senior NT when they were 18. Mas prefer talaga ng mga local coaches nating ang veterano.
    GILAS WISHLIST:
    6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by robert0326
      But putting slaughter in the national team is like we wasting the spot of future talents.. what if jalen green decides to play for us even he is 17, do you still think that "mamamain" lang siya? If other countries have that talent, they will not waste that time to put that guy in their seniors line up.. if here, many will tell "saka na yan, bata pa kasi yan eh".. thats the culture that stop us to be what our vision we like.. i think many people here if the likes of doncic, hachimura; zhou qi, jokic, rubio, etc.. born and raise here then play basketball here.. i tell you, they will stuck with that kind of culture we have.. kasi mga bata pa daw sila.. veterans first or seniority rules, .. in 2015, if they put rosario over intal, maybe rosario have more experience and more impact than intal at that year.. that is what i want to mention, i follow more international games and maybe all of the countries competing.. they balance all of the things.. they are competing, and developing chemistry and the most important aspect is they also inserting young bloods to gain experience.. they are not wasting time to develop.. if they see talents that can help their at young age, they already put already at seniors already.. actually we are wasting time of these kids to develop early because of our culture.. "time is gold", when we will put these kids likes of sotto, edu, martin to the seniors.. if they reach 24 or 25? We are wasting time of these young talents.. maybe still want taulava to the seniors? Dont we?
      If you dont.include Slaughter who will defend the Boban Marjanovic type of bigs. YOU dont want Blatche to exert his energy to much on defending this kind of very Big.bigs. While I agree that Edu should be.included in the team, but he should supplant Erram. In forming a team, its all about matchup, while Erram.can.be the better PBA player, but he cant defend the likes of Boban type bigs that Slaughter can.. For athletic and lean bigs we have Aguilar and Edu and even Rosario to take care.of them

Comment

• Originally posted by sajubeads View Post
        If you dont.include Slaughter who will defend the Boban Marjanovic type of bigs. YOU dont want Blatche to exert his energy to much on defending this kind of very Big.bigs. While I agree that Edu should be.included in the team, but he should supplant Erram. In forming a team, its all about matchup, while Erram.can.be the better PBA player, but he cant defend the likes of Boban type bigs that Slaughter can.. For athletic and lean bigs we have Aguilar and Edu and even Rosario to take care.of them
        Sorry but slowter doesnt fit in world tournament. Hes too isloooww. Remember kazaks? Greg proved that he.cant guard mobile and agile bigman.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinoybrat View Post
          Sorry but slowter doesnt fit in world tournament. Hes too isloooww. Remember kazaks? Greg proved that he.cant guard mobile and agile bigman.
          Boban is fairly mobile for his height, but is not agile at all btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinoybrat View Post
            Slowter will not be defending those 6-8/6-9 bigs like Kazaks, he will match up the 7-0/7-4 bigs like Boban... Speaking of Kazaks, Slowter played for 5 minutes in that game only, he had 1 or 2 TO but he was not really creamed defensively by the Kazaks bigs, it was actually Aguilar who was bastardized with 4 of the 6 3s of Zhigulin off Aguilar...

Comment

• GS might already have played against Boban while under Gilas 1 with coach Toroman when they went to Serbia for exhibition games as part of their training with the National Team. Gilas came home fully impressed with the opposition they faced while in Serbia including playing a team with 3 seven footers of which might have included Marjanovic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclone7 View Post
                Boban is fairly mobile for his height, but is not agile at all btw.
                And has like a 7'8 wingspan. Fajardo has to outquick this guy. And there's also Raduljica, another 7 footer.

Comment

• Remy should replace Barroca or Pogoy, who did not play well in the last game. Edu should replace Thirdy. I would like to see Edu play SF. He showed he can keep up on switches. I'd like to see him matchup against Gallinari and other big SFs and mobile PFs internationally.

Comment

Thats i want to point out.. other countries (almost all) are not wasting their spots to the veterans in their league, who are no impact in international competitions.. they will instead put younger ones to continue their program and not wasting time on their part.. Parks also in that age of 19 or 20, he should be that part of the seniors.. But because of seniority culture here, we were wasting the spots of the future generation of the pool.. I'm understand we are wanted to compete and we wanted to achieve... But seriously 10 veteran players are enough to be become competitive, and maybe 1 or 2 young players in the 11th to 12th spot to become their successors, once their job are finish.. that is the format of building the national pool in almost all countries.. Even Indonesia and Thailand doing that (and even Singapore, their back up big man, Raj is only 18).. Thats why I'm also disappointed that SBP saying that they will bring all PBA roster to the SEAG.. they have no plans to develop our younger players... thinking that forming national team is like an all-star event only...

To add on this. Pinoy NT coaches keep emphasizing that on a short tournament where teams play almost everyday, they thought playing all 12 men will make them fresh every game. well, yeah , while the reasoning is sound, these pros are used to play those many games in a short period.

and besides, a solid 9 player rotation with solid game plan is as maybe more effective than using the whole squad

Comment

• i followed indonesia (IBL) and thailand basketball via youtube and instagram, their PRO league is like a college/pba d-league here but they have 2 imports per team. the SBP should field an all amateur or college players but 23 under age for this coming SEAG i’m confident they can still win it but not via blowout. even the MPBL selection with more preparation.
                      LA Clippers(bcoz of PG13)
                      Morayta

Comment

Thats i want to point out.. other countries (almost all) are not wasting their spots to the veterans in their league, who are no impact in international competitions.. they will instead put younger ones to continue their program and not wasting time on their part.. Parks also in that age of 19 or 20, he should be that part of the seniors.. But because of seniority culture here, we were wasting the spots of the future generation of the pool.. I'm understand we are wanted to compete and we wanted to achieve... But seriously 10 veteran players are enough to be become competitive, and maybe 1 or 2 young players in the 11th to 12th spot to become their successors, once their job are finish.. that is the format of building the national pool in almost all countries.. Even Indonesia and Thailand doing that (and even Singapore, their back up big man, Raj is only 18).. Thats why I'm also disappointed that SBP saying that they will bring all PBA roster to the SEAG.. they have no plans to develop our younger players... thinking that forming national team is like an all-star event only...
                        Agree on this one..Hope Yeng in forming his lineup should consider matchup againts opposing team, including players to matchup with opponents player.. Against Italy, Yeng should think of someone who will defend against Gallinari who plays PF at 6-10.. He will be too big For Japhet and fast for Erram. So logucal matchup would be Blatche and spot minutes with Edu...Against Serbia, who will matchup against Marjanovic and Radjulica, those beefy 7 footers, this is where Slaughter would be more valuable over Erram and Almazan and even Aguilar as the 3 would be just bullied by these Serbs... Blatche would be the one to matchup against the likes of Jokic and Bjelica. It would be stupid to think that Slaughter and Fajarso matching up with the likes of Kokic, Bjelica and Gallinari...

Comment

5/6 veterans and 6 young guys should be the composition. Just look at Spain's Eurobasket 2017 roster:

PF Hernangómez, Juan 22 – 9 August 1995 2.06 m (6 ft 9 in)
                          C Hernangómez, Willy 23 – 27 May 1994 2.10 m (6 ft 11 in)
                          SF Abrines, Álex 24 – 1 August 1993 1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)
                          PG Vives, Guillem 24 – 16 June 1993 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)
                          F/C Oriola, Pierre 24 – 25 September 1992 2.06 m (6 ft 9 in)
                          G/F Sastre, Joan 25 – 10 December 1991 2.04 m (6 ft 8 in)
                          PG Rubio, Ricky 26 – 21 October 1990 1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)
                          PG Rodríguez, Sergio 31 – 12 June 1986 1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)
                          C Gasol, Marc 32 – 29 January 1985 2.16 m (7 ft 1 in)
                          G/F San Emeterio, Fernando 33 – 1 January 1984 1.99 m (6 ft 6 in)
                          SG Navarro, Juan Carlos 37 – 13 June 1980 1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)
                          F/C Gasol, Pau 37 – 6 June 1980 2.13 m (7 ft 0 in)
                          GILAS WISHLIST:
                          6'8 Pingris

Comment

• Originally posted by Dotch View Post
                            To add on this. Pinoy NT coaches keep emphasizing that on a short tournament where teams play almost everyday, they thought playing all 12 men will make them fresh every game. well, yeah , while the reasoning is sound, these pros are used to play those many games in a short period.

and besides, a solid 9 player rotation with solid game plan is as maybe more effective than using the whole squad
                            It's all about chemistry. There's no really no point in using all twelve players if they're not going to be effective.

They are not playing in an all-star game.
                            GILAS WISHLIST:
                            6'8 Pingris

Comment

• off-topic: ron harper answered my reply just 2 hours ago. i ask if ron jr. does have a passport before turning 16. you will be the one to judge on his answer. hehe

Last edited by ja.he; 03-23-2019, 02:43 AM.
                              Attack
                              defend
                              Unite

Comment

• Originally posted by interxavierxxx View Post
                                It's all about chemistry. There's no really no point in using all twelve players if they're not going to be effective.

They are not playing in an all-star game.
                                Speaking of chemistry, Guiao will be ranged against a team brimming with it right from the opening tip.

Italy head coach Sacchetti did a masterful job of barging into the Worlds without the benefit of having NBA reliables Gallo and Belli during the qualifying stages (although they had an NBA-ready 17-year old contribute to punching their ticket to China 2019). For his troubles, Sacchetti was rewarded a well-earned contract extension by the Italian federation.

Sacchetti has the enviable option of tinkering with team chemistry by injecting NBA vets into his Group D lineup.

Italy "doable"? Perhaps. But so is tempering inflated expectations in the face of our coaching reality that's sorely deficient in X's and O's.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information