No announcement yet.

2018 World Championship with 32 teams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 World Championship with 32 teams?

I have no link to the news in English, but AFP reports that FIBA's Secretary General Patrick Baumann mentioned that the WC could expand to 32 nations by 2018, although such a decision would require improvement from Asian and African nations.

I have a few reasons why i'd like this to happen:

1) The more nations involved, the bigger the event becomes.
    2) It's a way to keep NTs from needing its NBA players every year, since every good team will surely qualify.
    3) Having a better chance to qualify for a World Championship can help popularize basketball in many countries that don't have such chances nowadays.

But... are there that many good NTs?

There's already a proposal for expanding the number of teams in the Olympics, so I guess this is a "trend".
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

There aren't, this seems like an attempt to mimic the World Cup but this would dilute the meaning of the regional titles even more. I mean with 32 teams you could just about invite all of the teams that qualified for Eurobasket at that rate. 24 for the moment is a good cap, until the level of quality competitive teams goes up.

Americas teams besides Argentina and the USA need to step up
      Asian teams besides China (and Australia if oceania joins Asia) have to step up
      and African teams have to step up period for this to make any sort of sense.
      Pistons: 2021-22 Let the Motorcade begin!!

Bronze medal 2013 Eurobasket prediction Game.

Comment

Lebanon Jordan and Iran are world class but sub compared to world powers..

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
          There aren't, this seems like an attempt to mimic the World Cup but this would dilute the meaning of the regional titles even more.
          Atleast in Europe - no.Top teams looks into EC not as qualification round to WC, but as separate tournament, where they competes for medals. If some teams fails to reach semis, then there're some motivation for them to play for 5-8th places and WC tickets, but it's like consolation prize.
          Regarding Olympics, it's another story, but WC is not that prestigious as OG.

Regarding more teams in WC, it's hard to say now how it all will look like after 9 years. Players' generations will change, cores of the NT will be different, so maybe there will be 32 more or less competitive teams to participate or maybe FIBA will have thoughts to reduce places till 16 who knows

Comment

I'd much rather see 32 teams in the WC than 16 teams in the Olympics. I would propose 4 groups of 8 teams with the top 3 from each group advancing, but I doubt they would go with that.

32 would almost assure that all the good teams would qualify, and still leave plenty of room for new teams to get a shot. It would also further differentiate the tournament from the Olympics, which is a good thing for both tournaments IMO.
            Originally posted by Fedfan
            Most ppl get childish when they lose.
            Originally posted by GuTO
            refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

That is a good point about differentiating the tournaments, the olympics as the best of the best, with the Worlds as a showcase for all the teams.

Comment

way to many teams. i hope it does not happen. there's just not enough quality

Comment

ASIAN TEAMS

sigpic

PILIPINAS

MABUHAY!!!

Comment

Since Olympics in 30's 40's and 50's were 24 teams,. But the World Championships will highest to 32 for the first time. Others, its already most of many teams were in World University Games which have probably were 50 teams!

Comment

Hey Filipinos, Japan and Chinese Taipei looks a little struggled against Mongolia by 40 pts. Mongolia is weaker than Singapore NT

And also Korea beaten Hongkong by 21pts only. Hongkong is same level of Malaysia and Indonesia.

Comment

Originally posted by Delibasic View Post
                        way to many teams. i hope it does not happen. there's just not enough quality
                        Agreed. At this point, yes the Asian and African teams are improving, but at an overall level, a world stage, only 1 African team and 3 Asian teams are competitive. This is Angola (far and away in Africa. Thank you Victorino Cunha), China, Iran, and Lebanon. First, we need to see continental championships get more competitive moe often. I mean, for the most part in Asia, you can guess the top 4 and usually get all of them or at least 3. Africa is sort of lagging behind. What about the rest of Oceania though? I would love to see all the small islands develop, if possible. Also, 32 teams makes real logistical problems and limits hosts as well. If anything, if they come to think of changing the amount of teams, they should downsize. I think it creates more competition trying to battle out for less spots. And ti's easier for nations to host.

Summary:
                        1. Continental Competition needs to increase
                        2. Logistical- Difficult to plan, host.
                        My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                        1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                        1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                        1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                        1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                        1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                        1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                        1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Looking back on the 2006 tournament Africa actually had pretty damn good showing. Nigeria and Angola making the knockout round, and Nigeria being a basket away from knocking out Germany. If they continue to improve, maybe this 32 team tournament will actually be pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Dtown View Post
                            Looking back on the 2006 tournament Africa actually had pretty damn good showing. Nigeria and Angola making the knockout round, and Nigeria being a basket away from knocking out Germany. If they continue to improve, maybe this 32 team tournament will actually be pretty cool.
                            Yes they did. But, its the first and only time that Africa has had a great showing. Lets see in 2010 what they do. Also, Africa needs to be more competitive just on the continent. Cape Verde and Cameroon seem to be making improvements and strides on the senior level. Hopefully, that will continue. Senegal though seems to be going down. Nigeria hopefully, is on the upswing again as they went through a down period.
                            My Blog: http://wwoib.blogspot.com/

Statistics Wish List:
                            1990 Asian Games -in Beijing, CHN
                            1991 Pan Am Games -in Havana, CUB
                            1991 South American Championships -in Valencia, VEN
                            1991 Oceania Championship -in NZ
                            1991 Asian Basketball Championship -in Kobe, JPN
                            1992 African Basketball Championship -in Cairo, EGY
                            1992 Euro Olympic Basketball Tournament -in Spain

Comment

Originally posted by usausa View Post
                              Agreed. At this point, yes the Asian and African teams are improving, but at an overall level, a world stage, only 1 African team and 3 Asian teams are competitive.
                              This is an absurd statement. How can you say there are more competitive Asian teams that African teams? Lebanon had some good results in 2008 (although not as good as Nigeria), but they've gotten slaughtered in their other World events. What's Iran ever done to be deemed "competitive" at a world stage? Nigeria, Cameroon, and probably Senegal are better than both of those teams.
                              Originally posted by Fedfan
                              Most ppl get childish when they lose.
                              Originally posted by GuTO
                              refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information