Portugal national team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrade Now Battles Gomes Only For Minutes On The Court

Portugal boss Moncho Lopez will probably wear a permanent grin for the rest of the month after discovering recently that veteran forward Carlos Andrade will no longer have to compete for the one naturalized spot in the national team.

The 31-year-old Andrade, now a near certainty to make the national squad for this summer's Additional Qualifying Round, was born in Cape Verde but moved to Portugal as a small boy yet only became a citizen four years ago.

That meant that two years ago, Andrade had to go head-to-head with another Cape Verde-born player, Joao Gomes, and lost out on the battle for naturalized spot for EuroBasket 2007.

Late last month FIBA cleared Andrade's appeals and now all he wants is a chance to do something for the first time in his career.

He is desperate to compete in the Final Round at a EuroBasket.

"Now, all Joao Gomes and I have to do is to fight for more minutes, nothing else, which is a healthy challenge," Andrade said to Basketball World News.

"All my colleagues saluted me. Everybody is happy with the FIBA decision."

Gomes does not have an automatic berth in the squad as he could face competition from Guinea Bissau-born Manuel Sicó in the fight for the naturalized spot.

Getting Ready For Big Games

Portugal are at a training camp in Almada, near Lisbon, preparing for the Additional Qualifying Round.

In the AQR, they will take on Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium in Group A and if they finish top, Lopez's team will square off against the winners of Group B (France, Italy or Finland) in a home-and-away tie for the right to advance to the EuroBasket in Poland.

"Both teams (Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium) are difficult opponents, but what we are aiming for is to top the group and then do even better in the next round," Andrade said.

"We know it will be difficult, but we will do our best."

Portugal do not have the tallest team but they usually fight like lions.

"Usually we aren't concerned about what our opponents' size is," Andrade said.

"We care about ourselves first, then the others."

Going from Ukrainian Valentyn Melnychuk after EuroBasket 2007 to former Spain boss Lopez as coach didn't start well with three straight defeats last year in Division A but the Portuguese rebounded to win three in a row and make the Additional Qualifying Round.

"Moncho Lopez brought into the team the Spanish game-style, which is a bit similar to what the we are used to," Andrade said.

"It is true, we lack some height and weight, but we have the advantage of being quicker than most of opponents."

Portugal hosted the International Tournament of Almada last week and lost their final game to Brazil, 77-73.

"That defeat does not shake the positive work we have been doing lately," Andrade said.

"At least we prevented Brazil from scoring more than 90 points, which was their average in the first two games of the tournament [against Angola and Finland, respectively]."

Despite the strong contenders in the AQR, Carlos Andrade is confident.

"Where do I imagine myself in September?" Andrade said. "At the European championship in Poland, obviously. Our team does not have other thoughts, nor do I."

Andrade says the arrival of Lopez has been a real blessing for the national side.

"Moncho Lopez‘s introduction to the group has been a remarkable moment for me," he said.

"He started off by saying: 'Hello everybody, I am Moncho Lopez, and I want to be with you guys at the European Championship in Poland.'

"I can't forget his impressive first speech.

"If we fail to make it to Poland, it means that our opponents were better than us. It will not be the end of the world, but we will not allow them to be better than us."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Portugal played today the Semi-Finals of the Lusophony Games and lost against Cape Verde: 67-66...
      Tomorrow will be played the game against Brasil, to define which team is the 3rd.
      Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

Originally posted by Luíz for 3 View Post
        In 2007 (Spain EuroBasket), João Gomes was the chosen one, one year later (EB2009 Qualifiers) and with a new coach, Carlos Andrade got his chance and both played well. It's great to our national team for this AQR...
        where does he play now? I remember he had a great game against us in EB 2007. I tought he could be one of best SG/SF in europ but I don't here about him much latley
        Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
          where does he play now? I remember he had a great game against us in EB 2007. I tought he could be one of best SG/SF in europ but I don't here about him much latley
          He plays for CB Breogán in LEB Oro from Spain. His evolution wasn't the expected and nowadays he isn't so important and influent as he was in a recent past...
          https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Comment

Portugal finished 3rd on Lusophony Games, after a win over Brasil, 95 to 71...

Originally posted by pohani komarac View Post
            As Luíz for 3 said, he hadn't the expected evolution. At 2007, Melnynchuk only could select one of those two guys, the choice was "made easy" by the injury of Andrade. With the both in good physical conditions, I don't know if Gomes would be the selected... It would be a difficult choice: Gomes is more explosive and attacks more times the rim, Andrade is a good shooter, better on defense and agressive on the boards. At 2007 it would be a difficult choice, now is easy: Carlos Andrade.
            Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Comment

I read somewhere that two players from the national team got infected with the swine flu (Joau Figeyredo and Diogo Carreira). I wonder if there is any relation to the Christiano Ronaldo rumors that started spreading since yesterday..

Comment

Originally posted by ArnoldPettybone View Post
                I read somewhere that two players from the national team got infected with the swine flu (Joau Figeyredo and Diogo Carreira). I wonder if there is any relation to the Christiano Ronaldo rumors that started spreading since yesterday..
                No, those aren't rumours, both of them got infected. Don't know about Ronaldo. It´s João Figueiredo
                Artificial Nature

Comment

Guard José Costa retired from the national team at 35.
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

João "Betinho" Gomes' big game in Spain
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

João "Betinho" Gomes dreams about the NBA
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Portugal Coach Give Thumbs-Up To EuroBasket Expansion

Portugal's coach Moncho Lopez has praised FIBA Europe's decision to raise the number of teams from 16 to 24 for EuroBasket 2013.

The Portuguese won the hearts of all the spectators with a solid display at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain but missed out on EuroBasket 2009, falling in the Additional Qualifying Round.

The national team coach, Lopez, said: "This is fantastic news for Portugal. I think we now have more chances to qualify for EuroBasket 2013," he said to Basketball World News.

"Above all this move from FIBA Europe is a boost for the Portuguese players who are aiming to appear in such an important competition.

"This event is the showpiece of European Basketball that everyone wishes to take part in."

Lopez knows very well how special the EuroBasket is.

Seven years ago, he coached a young Spanish team that included Pau Gasol and Juan Carlos Navarro to the silver medal in Sweden.

"This decision decreases at a certain point the load we had on our shoulders to face more experienced opponents," Lopez said.

"In some cases, we had to play well beyond our limits."

As for Portugal this summer, Moncho is seeking to make some improvements.

"I'll promote two or three young players I have been monitoring for some time," he said.

"I'll be making their names public in the near future."

Portugal will gather on July 4 to start their preparations for a tough Division A campaign in the hope of reaching next year's EuroBasket in Lithuania.

Lopez's team are in group C along with Georgia, Belgium, Bulgaria and Poland.

"In theory our opponents are better than us," he said.

"But we are experienced enough to know that games must be won on the court, not on theoretical concepts.

"Bulgaria and Poland are the strongest opponents of the group."

Belgium will be no pushovers, either, as France discovered last summer when the Belgians won the first game of the Additional Qualifying Round Final against Les Bleus.

To get into that AQR Final, Belgium had to beat the Portuguese.

"Last year we lost two games to Belgium, but we showed that we can play at same level," Lopez said.

"Honestly, Georgia is an unknown team for me.

"I don't know much about their game.

"Facing those teams at home with the presence of our supporters will be a great experience for of us."

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and Slovenia have expressed their interest to host EuroBasket 2013.

Would Portugal be ambitious and add their name to the list of candidate countries?

"Portugal has the infrastructures, good press and basketball fans who live the game intensively, but it is not my decision if Portugal should bid to host the EuroBasket. Personally, I would love to see it happen."

Last year, Lopez accepted the dual-challenge of leading both Portugal's national side and FC Porto.

He's taken the opportunity and run with it, guiding FC Porto into this season domestic play-off Finals.

They face an uphill battle to win the title, though.

Porto are 2-0 down against their arch rivals Benfica in the best-of-seven series.

Next Friday, Porto will host Benfica in Game 3.

"We will turn this result around," Lopez said.

"I expected more from my players in the first two games, but Benfica played well and showed some quality."

Portugal will start their EuroBasket 2011 preparations on July 4 with a preliminary squad of 14 player.

Lopez will then reduce the group to 12 before takes off.

Portugal expect to play in an international tournament with Angola and Jordan, two teams that will play at the FIBA World Championship in Turkey in the summer.
                        Artificial Nature

Comment

The Portuguese team for the 2011 Eurobasket Qualifying games:

Guards:Mário Fernandes (CAB Madeira), Pedro Pinto (Barreirense) e Miguel Minhava (Benfica).

Forwards: Miguel Graça (Barreirense), Carlos Andrade (FC Porto), Jaime Silva (Vitória de Guimarães), João Gomes (Breogan, Esp), João Santos (Benfica) e Heshimu Evans (Benfica).

Centers: Jorge Coelho (FC Porto), Miguel Miranda (Ovarense), Nuno Cortez (Ovarense), David Gomes (FC Porto), André Pinto (Ovarense) e Francisco Jordão (1º Agosto, Ang)

I don't get this selection!
                          I hope there is a good reason for the absence of Filipe Da Silva just to mention one!
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/nbarreto6

Comment

Originally posted by nmmb View Post
                            I hope there is a good reason for the absence of Filipe Da Silva just to mention one!
                            He had a great season, almost reaching triple-doubles in some games when it seemed that his career had reached a dead end. And French Pro B is still better than LPB. I also fail to understand his exclusion.
                            And Jordão being called again? I thought he had been (self) "banned" for good.
                            Artificial Nature

Comment

Originally posted by rikhardur View Post
                              He had a great season, almost reaching triple-doubles in some games when it seemed that his career had reached a dead end. And French Pro B is still better than LPB. I also fail to understand his exclusion.
                              And Jordão being called again? I thought he had been (self) "banned" for good.
                              Also if he wants to get some youth in the team how about Manuel Sicó instead of André Pinto i would never leave Filipe Da Silva out!

Plus the first two options at guard are going to have difficulties at the defensive end. Minhava is just not that a good a defender and Mário Fernandes is just short.

Paulo Cunha i would like to see him there, but i can understand because he was injured for most of the season.

At last if he doesn't go for João Gomes as the naturalized player it would be rather odd, since is going all for youth and development. But i do agree Evans should be there as backup.

Comment

Filipe Da Silva has retired from the National Team after not being called by Moncho Lopez.

I don't blame him!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information