Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portugal national team

Default Portugal national team

Nuno Cortez In The Frame For EuroBasket-Chasing Portugal

Portugal coach Moncho Lopez is looking to bolster his frontcourt ahead of the Additional Qualifying Round games for the EuroBasket and Ovarense big man Nuno Cortez is in strong contention to earn a place in the squad.

Lopez is to gather a 14-man group on June 21 to begin preparing for the qualifying games and the 26-year-old center Cortez is expected to get a call from the national team boss.

"Nuno Cortez is a player who worked with us on previous occasions but has never made to the final squad," Lopez said to Basketball World News.

"He is now in a good form to make it to the final 12 players.

"I should say that he is a player to consider.

"He is living a very interesting, competitive moment in his career."

Cortez played in the Portuguese league finals but wasn't able to carry his team to victory over Benfica.

Portugal will play against Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium in Group A of the Additional Qualifying Round.

Should Lopez's team finish top of that pool, they will take on the winner of Group B (France, Italy or Finland) for the right to play at the EuroBasket.

The preparation period is very important for Lopez and his players.

"We are aiming to consolidate our tactical game and will try to incorporate new players," Lopez said.

Portugal will play in the Lusofonia Games, to be staged in Lisbon, starting on July 8 and will face Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau.

Following the Lusofonia Games - an event that includes all Portuguese speaking countries - the Portugues will take part in another international tournament in Almada, near Lisbon, and go up against Brazil, Angola and Finland.
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_6y1y9...frontpage.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Default 2009 Portuguese NT

Moncho Lpez selected 14 players to prepare de Additional Qualifying Round. This list doesn't include players of Benfica and Ovarense, due to their presence in LPB finals, who will join the preparation later.

PG's:
    Filipe da Silva (ALM vreux Basket - ProB France)
    Joo Figueiredo (FC Porto - LPB Portugal)
    Joo Reveles (AD Vagos - LPB Portugal)
    Jos Costa (Ginsio Figueirense - LPB Portugal)

SG's/SF's:
    Carlos Andrade (Bruesa GBC - ACB Spain)
    Fbio Lima (Asociacin Baloncesto Mrida - LEB Bronce Spain)
    Jaime Silva (Ciudad de Vigo Bsquet - LEB Plata Spain)
    Joo "Betinho" Gomes (Club Baloncesto Breogn - LEB Oro Spain)
    Paulo Cunha (FC Porto - LPB Portugal)
    Fernando Sousa (A. Acadmica de Coimbra - LPB Portugal)

PF's/C's
    Jorge Coelho (Gijn Baloncesto - LEB Plata Spain)
    Manuel Sic (FC Barreirense - LPB Portugal)
    Mario Gonalves (CAB Madeira - LPB Portugal)
    David Gomes (CAB Madeira - LPB Portugal)
    Last edited by rikhardur; 06-11-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: threads merged
    https://twitter.com/LuksKasabian

Miguel Minhava, lvis vora and Joo Santos from Benfica and Miguel Miranda from Ovarense will probably be added to this list.

Carlos Andrade doesn't count as a "foreign" player any more.
    Joo "Betinho" Gomes and Manuel Sico are "fighting" for the spot now.
    Betinho should get it.

Quote Originally Posted by nmmb View Post
    Carlos Andrade doesn't count as a "foreign" player any more.
    Joo "Betinho" Gomes and Manuel Sico are "fighting" for the spot now.
    Betinho should get it.
    That's great news. Now the national team will certainly become stronger. Betinho has it secured (if Moncho makes the right choice that is).
    Artificial Nature

Betinho will defently go, Sico is only there as backup and to gain some experience.

In 2007 (Spain EuroBasket), Joo Gomes was the chosen one, one year later (EB2009 Qualifiers) and with a new coach, Carlos Andrade got his chance and both played well. It's great to our national team for this AQR...

Quote Originally Posted by Luz for 3 View Post
    Miguel Minhava, lvis vora and Joo Santos from Benfica and Miguel Miranda from Ovarense will probably be added to this list.
    Meanwhile, Moncho Lopez has already picked the Benfica and Ovarense players. From the champions we have Miguel Minhava (PG), Diogo Carreira (PG), Joo Santos (SG/SF) and Elvis vora (PF/C) and Miguel Miranda (PF/C) and Nuno Cortez (PF) from Ovarense...

Meanwhile, Moncho Lopez has already picked the Benfica and Ovarense players. From the champions we have Miguel Minhava (PG), Diogo Carreira (PG), Joo Santos (SG/SF) and Elvis vora (PF/C) and Miguel Miranda (PF/C) and Nuno Cortez (PF) from Ovarense...
    Good luck to Portugal...all the best

Ovarense (Miranda and Cortez) and Benfica's (Minhava, Carreira, Joo Santos and lvis) players had already take part of Portuguese NT...
    Bronze Medal - IBN 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Prediction Game

Quote Originally Posted by g.g View Post
    Good luck to Portugal...all the best
    We are going to need some...Why did all the NBA players decided to play for Italy and France when they might face Portugal ?!
    Last edited by nmmb; 06-30-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmmb View Post
    He are going to need some...Why did all the NBA players decided to play for Italy and France when they might face Portugal ?!
    Portuguese NBA players always skip the NT, it's a shame
    Artificial Nature

Quote Originally Posted by rikhardur View Post
    Portuguese NBA players always skip the NT, it's a shame
    Yeah Joo Partidas and Carlos Mentiroso don't have a great deal of pride for their country. Great 3-Point Shooting and Ball Handling skills tough

Portugal wins first Friendly Game

Portugal 78 - 55 Finland

After the win against Angola, Portugal is beating Macau at half-time (55-22). Two matches counting for the Lusophony Games...

Andrade Now Battles Gomes Only For Minutes On The Court

Portugal boss Moncho Lopez will probably wear a permanent grin for the rest of the month after discovering recently that veteran forward Carlos Andrade will no longer have to compete for the one naturalized spot in the national team.

The 31-year-old Andrade, now a near certainty to make the national squad for this summer's Additional Qualifying Round, was born in Cape Verde but moved to Portugal as a small boy yet only became a citizen four years ago.

That meant that two years ago, Andrade had to go head-to-head with another Cape Verde-born player, Joao Gomes, and lost out on the battle for naturalized spot for EuroBasket 2007.

Late last month FIBA cleared Andrade's appeals and now all he wants is a chance to do something for the first time in his career.

He is desperate to compete in the Final Round at a EuroBasket.

"Now, all Joao Gomes and I have to do is to fight for more minutes, nothing else, which is a healthy challenge," Andrade said to Basketball World News.

"All my colleagues saluted me. Everybody is happy with the FIBA decision."

Gomes does not have an automatic berth in the squad as he could face competition from Guinea Bissau-born Manuel Sic in the fight for the naturalized spot.

Getting Ready For Big Games

Portugal are at a training camp in Almada, near Lisbon, preparing for the Additional Qualifying Round.

In the AQR, they will take on Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium in Group A and if they finish top, Lopez's team will square off against the winners of Group B (France, Italy or Finland) in a home-and-away tie for the right to advance to the EuroBasket in Poland.

"Both teams (Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium) are difficult opponents, but what we are aiming for is to top the group and then do even better in the next round," Andrade said.

"We know it will be difficult, but we will do our best."

Portugal do not have the tallest team but they usually fight like lions.

"Usually we aren't concerned about what our opponents' size is," Andrade said.

"We care about ourselves first, then the others."

Going from Ukrainian Valentyn Melnychuk after EuroBasket 2007 to former Spain boss Lopez as coach didn't start well with three straight defeats last year in Division A but the Portuguese rebounded to win three in a row and make the Additional Qualifying Round.

"Moncho Lopez brought into the team the Spanish game-style, which is a bit similar to what the we are used to," Andrade said.

"It is true, we lack some height and weight, but we have the advantage of being quicker than most of opponents."

Portugal hosted the International Tournament of Almada last week and lost their final game to Brazil, 77-73.

"That defeat does not shake the positive work we have been doing lately," Andrade said.

"At least we prevented Brazil from scoring more than 90 points, which was their average in the first two games of the tournament [against Angola and Finland, respectively]."

Despite the strong contenders in the AQR, Carlos Andrade is confident.

"Where do I imagine myself in September?" Andrade said. "At the European championship in Poland, obviously. Our team does not have other thoughts, nor do I."

Andrade says the arrival of Lopez has been a real blessing for the national side.

"Moncho Lopezs introduction to the group has been a remarkable moment for me," he said.

"He started off by saying: 'Hello everybody, I am Moncho Lopez, and I want to be with you guys at the European Championship in Poland.'

"I can't forget his impressive first speech.

"If we fail to make it to Poland, it means that our opponents were better than us. It will not be the end of the world, but we will not allow them to be better than us."
    http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_Di2iw...frontpage.html
    Artificial Nature

Portugal played today the Semi-Finals of the Lusophony Games and lost against Cape Verde: 67-66...
    Tomorrow will be played the game against Brasil, to define which team is the 3rd.

In 2007 (Spain EuroBasket), Joo Gomes was the chosen one, one year later (EB2009 Qualifiers) and with a new coach, Carlos Andrade got his chance and both played well. It's great to our national team for this AQR...
    where does he play now? I remember he had a great game against us in EB 2007. I tought he could be one of best SG/SF in europ but I don't here about him much latley
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by pohani komarac View Post
    where does he play now? I remember he had a great game against us in EB 2007. I tought he could be one of best SG/SF in europ but I don't here about him much latley
    He plays for CB Breogn in LEB Oro from Spain. His evolution wasn't the expected and nowadays he isn't so important and influent as he was in a recent past...

Portugal finished 3rd on Lusophony Games, after a win over Brasil, 95 to 71...

Quote Originally Posted by pohani komarac View Post
    As Luz for 3 said, he hadn't the expected evolution. At 2007, Melnynchuk only could select one of those two guys, the choice was "made easy" by the injury of Andrade. With the both in good physical conditions, I don't know if Gomes would be the selected... It would be a difficult choice: Gomes is more explosive and attacks more times the rim, Andrade is a good shooter, better on defense and agressive on the boards. At 2007 it would be a difficult choice, now is easy: Carlos Andrade.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast