Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nigeria national team

Default Nigerian National Team faces finance problems

I think this article partially explains why the Nigerians have been absent from many of the major preparation tournaments.

From the Nigerian Tribune:

NBBF waits on Ministry for funds - Ahead FIBA World Championship
    Niyi Alebiosu, Lagos - 02.08.2006

AS the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) prepares for the forthcoming FIBA World Basketball Championship, slated for Japan between August 19 and September 3, the Federal Ministry of Sports and Social Development is yet to release funds to the federation.

Tribunesports scooped that the ministry is the federation of funds needed for training and the championship proper less than three weeks to the commencement of the championship.

Tribunesports also reliably gathered that the federation was only able to raise 15,000 dollars for the team currently in camp in Dallars, United States of America.

The money could only cover the players’ allowances and accommodation for a few weeks leaving the players and officials stranded afterward.

Confirming the story to Tribunesports on Sunday evening during the Final Four of the Vmobile Premier Basketball League which was won by Plateau Peaks, NBBF’s Dr. Adamu Ahmed, described the situation as pathetic, saying, “NBBF needs funds to execute the championship but as at now we are yet to receive a dime from the government, knowing that it is a major championship that needs serious attention, but we are toying wit it.”

Ahmed, though did not dislose the actual amount requested from the ministry but maintained that the federation needed huge amount of money to execute the programme as the 15,000 dollars raised could not go anywhere.

Meanwhile, NBBF president, Buba Gyang, also speaking on Sunday, raised hope when he disclosed that he had a discussion with the ministry on the funds needed and that the response was positive.

“On the championship in Japan, I had discussion with the Sports Ministry and want to assure you that it was positive and I hope that NBBF will hear from them soon,” Gyang, the Comptroller General of Nigeria Customs said.

they are currently in the finals in South africa for the juniors. theyjust beat congo so hopefully they can get over these problems at the senior level

I'm a little concerned about the seniors preparation for the WC. Several weeks ago, I emailed one of the Nigerian players (Ikuesan Olusegun) and asked him about the status of the team and he said they were preparing well. They played a few games in Dallas (USA) against a NBA summer team and some AAU teams. I would have liked to see them play in more pre-WC tournaments. I think the experience against a Spain or a Lithuania would have helped them prepare better for Japan. I wish them luck.

thanks. i agree they need more experience, but more importanly they need better recruitment. there are many nigerians that could play for nigeria but simply dont come on board.

i'd love to get a chance to see them play someday. maybe in new york

Default Hakeem Olajuwon Prepares Nigerian National Team

From the New York Times: Link to Article

Long Arms Groom Nigeria’s Long Shot By THAYER EVANS
    HOUSTON, Aug. 13 — Playing for the Nigerian junior national team in the All-African Games in 1979, Hakeem Olajuwon demonstrated so much potential that an opposing basketball coach recommended he attend college in the United States.

Less than a year later, Olajuwon, a skinny 7-foot teenager, landed a scholarship at the University of Houston.

Olajuwon led the Cougars to consecutive N.C.A.A. championship games before the Houston Rockets selected him as the first pick of the 1984 N.B.A. draft.

He retired 18 years later with two titles, a Most Valuable Player award and two defensive player of the year awards. He is seventh on the N.B.A.’s career scoring list and the top shot blocker in league history.

Olajuwon became a naturalized American citizen in 1993 and won a gold medal with the United States at the 1996 Olympics, but his loyalty to Nigeria is the reason its national men’s basketball team was in Houston this week.

“That’s how I got discovered,” said Olajuwon, who was born in Lagos, Nigeria.

At his invitation, the 12-player squad arrived Thursday night to train with him at Memorial Hermann-Houston Baptist University Wellness Center before departing Monday for Japan to participate in the 24-team world championship beginning Saturday. The team had been training in the Dallas area and in Las Vegas.

“It’s just incredible — his sincerity to somehow get involved and be a part of what we’re doing,” said Sam Vincent, the former N.B.A. player who is coaching the Nigerian team.

The Nigerian men’s basketball team has never appeared in the Olympics, though it could secure a spot in the Beijing Games in 2008 with an unlikely championship in Japan.

The team qualified for the world championship by taking bronze at the FIBA Africa Championship in Algeria last year.

To be eligible for the team, a player must be born in Nigeria or carry a Nigerian passport through his parents, Vincent said.

One of Nigeria’s captains is Ime Udoka, who averaged 2.8 points in eight games with the Knicks last season.

Other notable players include the former Oklahoma standout Ebi Ere, the former Texas forward Gabe Muoneke and the Maryland senior forward Ekene Ibekwe.

Golden State Warriors center Ike Diogu and Philadelphia 76ers guard Andre Iguodala are also of Nigerian descent and could play for the national team if it qualifies for the Olympics, Vincent said.

“Nigeria is blessed with incredible talent,” Vincent said. “Because of maybe less than good organization and preparation, their teams have never been able to take the place on the international scene that it deserves.”

Basketball stills lags far behind soccer in Nigeria, which has a population of about 120 million.

Besides Olajuwon, a goalkeeper for much of his youth, the country has also produced the former Nets center Yinka Dare and the current Boston Celtics center Michael Olowokandi.

But there is increasing fanfare and government support for basketball, Udoka said.

And there are signs of success. The women’s basketball team won its first Olympic game in Athens in 2004.

Udoka said he expected Nigeria to improve on its 2-3 record and 13th-place finish in its previous trip to the world championships, in 1998.
    “There are some teams that we definitely should beat, and if we upset a team or two, we’ll be fine,” Udoka said.

The top four teams from each six-team group advance to the next round. Nigeria’s group includes the Olympic champion, Argentina; the defending world champion, Serbia and Montenegro; and France, which features several N.B.A. players.

Olajuwon’s involvement with the Nigerian national team could have significant implications for the future, Vincent said. Working out with Olajuwon could become an annual summer event, he said.

“He’s the guy that has the network, the resources,” Vincent said. “He’s got the credibility, the professionalism and the history. He’s the guy who can pull a lot of things together for us and help us focus on three- to five-year plans as opposed to yearly plans.”

The team practiced for two hours Friday morning, and afterward at least two players had their photographs taken with Olajuwon.

“I had to get one,” said Chamberlain Oguchi, a junior swingman for Oregon who grew up in Houston watching Olajuwon play for the Rockets. “It’s a great honor to be on the same court as him. He’s a legend.”

After Nigeria scrimmaged Friday night against a group of Houston-area players, the team went with Olajuwon to a local African restaurant for Nigerian and South African delicacies.

Olajuwon, who lives in Amman, Jordan, with his wife and five children, has been in Houston the past two weeks as part of his annual summer visit to the city. In addition to the Nigerian national team, he has been working out with Emeka Okafor of the Charlotte Bobcats and other young players in one-on-one drills.

His passion for tutoring basketball players is evident. Clad in a sweat-stained red T-shirt and black shorts Friday, he frequently rested his hulking hands on his knees between repetitions, but his trademark offensive post moves were still dangerous.

He swiftly blocked one of Okafor’s shots and made a nifty move against another player to free himself for a duck-in layup.

“That’s abuse,” Okafor said.

Olajuwon teaches through playing, so at 43 he is competing against players half his age.

He is already eyeing a potential game between the United States and Nigeria in the world championships. The earliest that matchup could happen is in the quarterfinals.

“I’m from Nigeria, born in Nigeria,” Olajuwon said. “I’m an American who plays basketball. This is an American game.

“If Nigeria plays U.S.A., it’ll be a good basketball game. The best team will win.”

Senegal are going to lose in the group D

does that mean they will be last, or just lose one game?

I like how the Nigerian's play basketball. I just hope that Philippines learn from them. They really have the basics necessary to play the game. I see their players play in the NBA and in the PBA(Philippine Basketball Association). Their game is just so effective even against the high flying new breeds of players.

Default Ekene Ibekwe proud of Nigeria's Effort at WBC

For most countries, the world championships are over and a losing record isn't all that it seems, especially in continents such as Africa and Asia where progress is more a real expectation than a medal. (link)

Ibekwe: "This is a great result for Nigeria basketball"
    SAITAMA (FIBA World Championship) - The Nigerian team will leave Saitama this evening disappointed after their heartbreaking 78-77 defeat to Germany in the second round of the FIBA World Championship but very proud of the effort they gave throughout and even more so in their final game.

Sam Vincent's men - who qualified for the knockout stages after finishing third in Group A - pushed last year's EuroBasket runners up all the way and were a basket away from going through to the quarter-finals where they would have gone up against Team USA.

And among all the positives taken from this tournament, one of the biggest ones will be the play of forward Ekene Ibekwe who today was one of the main reasons why Nigeria could even consider the thought of going through to the quarter-finals.

Ibekwe finished with a game-high 22 points and 10 rebounds and had to go head to head with Dirk Nowitzki for most of the game.

FIBA correspondent Simon Wilkinson caught up with him after the Eight-Final against Germany.

FIBA: Obviously it has to be very hard to lose in the closing seconds of the game, but there are many reasons to feel good about this game.
    Ibekwe: Yeah definitely. This is a tough loss but it's a great result for Nigeria basketball. I'm really proud of my team-mates. We've been through a lot these last couple of months. We didn't have a lot of time to train together so we were still trying to get to get to know one another during these games and figure our roles out there on the court, but this is all very encouraging for the team.

FIBA: Sam Vincent talked about Nigeria basketball being in a three-year development program. How does this performance today and your overall play in the tournament help Nigeria in this development phase?
    Ibekwe: Well it's a huge step forward. We played really hard and we pushed a top ten team in the world to the very last second. To play against Germany and have the outcome of the game come down to the final possession is really a great experience and it's going to enable us to take a step in the right direction in the development of our team and of basketball in Nigeria as a whole.

FIBA: What does this performance prove to other teams who maybe didn't know before the start of the tournament or even in the second round what to expect from you?
    Ibekwe: Well now we know and people will also know that the Nigerian team can compete against some of the best teams in the world and make it a close game. That's a great feeling.

FIBA: You had your best game of the tournament with 22 points, 10 rebounds and some good highlights. That's a great way to finish the competition before you go back to Maryland for your senior season.
    Ibekwe: I just wanted to play well for my country. For me personally as a college player, this was a great experience - one that I couldn't pass up. To get the chance to come out here and go up against the likes of Dirk Nowitzki and Boris Diaw. That's the reason why I came out here. It's tough to play against those guys but I enjoyed the challenge.

FIBA: Can you talk about having to defend a player like Dirk?
    Ibekwe: As you can imagined it's very hard. You're talking about an All-Star and one of the best players in the world. I told myself I would come out and try to do my best to slow him down. I wanted to contain him and not let him get any easy shots and go for a 40-point game.

FIBA: Your coach, Sam Vincent, has played a huge part in getting this team to this tournament in the time that he has been in charge. Tell us a bit about him.
    Ibekwe: He's just a great coach. He has been getting us going throughout this competition and even when we had our bad games in the group stages he was there for us, getting us motivated and ready.

FIBA: Thanks and well done to Nigeria.
    Ibekwe: Thank you

if only guys like Iggy or Ike Diogu can join the team

but they want to play for their new adopted home

Hello, just want to know if you know a 6'8 center/forward named Samuel Ekwe? Do you know his basketball credentials back in Nigeria? You see, he's a college player here, and a good one at that. His team, the San Beda College Red Lions is lording it over the college league here and he is dominating the local college kids.

and also, just want to add, Julius Nwosu used to play here in the Philippines, and he led his team to a championship. He was very likable when he was here.

Default NIgerian National Team

Do you think SAM EKWE of SAN BEDA red lions currently playing in PH be a big help for your national team? man this guy is 6'8 and swats ball lyk no one else and dunks like shaq.. with proper training.. u can help this guy improve nd help ur team in the future..

Actually, Nigeria has very good players already. Last year's WC squad played greatly, even with many important players missing.

Pare The Nigerian national team is the source of naturalized players like olajuwon and many more

Quote Originally Posted by reamily
    Pare The Nigerian national team is the source of naturalized players like olajuwon and many more
    yup Okulaja, of Germany Olajuwon, of US baby shaq of greece <---- although Half-macedonian

Quote Originally Posted by ricodgame
    Do you think SAM EKWE of SAN BEDA red lions currently playing in PH be a big help for your national team? man this guy is 6'8 and swats ball lyk no one else and dunks like shaq.. with proper training.. u can help this guy improve nd help ur team in the future..
    isama mo sa SEA games yan tingnan lang natin kung sino di matatakot dyan

trans:

Include him in RP team Sea games we'll see which team will afraid of him

Quote Originally Posted by rycorpz
    yup Okulaja, of Germany Olajuwon, of US baby shaq of greece <---- although Half-macedonian
    Sofoklis is not half-Nigerian, his mother is Cameroonian if memory serves me right.

Emeka Okafor - though born in the U.S. - is of Nigerian stock. So was the runningback for the KC Chiefs back in the day, Christian Okoye the "Nigerian Nightmare."

Nigeria has great athletes, hopefully for them they can take advantage of it in the future, or just keep getting U.S. born Nigerian players that can't make the U.S. national team.

Quote Originally Posted by ricodgame
    Make him use skin whitener and he'll play for RP Team. hehehe
    SMART GILAS: all the way

Default Nigeria national team

Afrobasket '09: Nigeria is aiming high with its star-studded roster

When I've read the news that John Lucas would be the new head coach of the D'Tigers, I was baffled.

Now with such a well-known coach, the possibility of attracting the best players out of Nigeria should be no problem and the recently revealed list of pre-selected players for the national-team camp in the U.S. proves exactly this.

The guards:

Nigeria has no shortage on experienced guards unlike other countries like Senegal, Cameroon or the Ivory Coast. Thanks to the Nigerian Diaspora in the United States, they can choose from a deep pool of players with college and professional experience.

At point guard, previously used (World Championships in Japan) Josh Akognon should be a lock while shooting guard Ime Udoka of the San Antonio Spurs is set to represent Nigeria again after being instrumental in the D'Tigers' success story in Japan. After a rather disappointing season in Giessen (Germany) Michael Umeh should be considered as a back-up to Akognon while Tony Skinn and Ben Uzoh could be alternatives too.
    Especially Skinn did a great job in Gravelines and is also a similar scoring threat like Akognon.

Champ Oguchi bounced back with a strong year in Illinois to prove his readiness to contribute on the two-spot. Ebi Ere is another big-time scorer on the list who was Australia's import of the year and is able to move also to small forward if needed. Nigerian-Jamaican rookie Weyinmi Efejuku may has small chance to make the team while Churchill Odia had another season to forget in Oregon and may lacks on-court experience although he was always productive when called up for Nigeria.

From the outside looking in are probably Kingsley Oguchi, Mike Efevberha, Jayson Obazuaye and Stanley Asumnu.

Stats:

Josh Akognon, PG, Fullerton, 23,9ppg, 3,2rpg, 1,6apg

Ben Uzoh, PG, Tulsa, 14ppg 4,9rpg, 3,6apg

Michael Umeh, PG, Giessen, 13,8ppg, 3,2rpg, 1,8apg

Anthony Skinn, PG, Gravelines, 16,0ppg, 2,5rpg, 3,5apg

Kingsley Oguchi, PG, South Carolina-Aiken, 9,0 ppg, 3,2rpg, 3,0apg

Ime Udoka, SG, San Antonio, 4,5ppg, 3,0rpg, 0,9apg

Stanley Asunmu, SG, Rio Grande Valley, 10,5ppg, 4,6rpg, 1,8apg

Churchill Odia, SG, Oregon, 3,2ppg, 2,3rpg

Jayson Obazuaye, PG, Milton Keynes (ENG)

Ebi Ere, SG/SF, Carolina (PUR), 20,7ppg, 5,9rpg, 2,3apg

Weyinmi Efejuku, SG, Providence, 15,7ppg, 4,0rpg, 2,3apg, 1,5spg

Chamberlain Oguchi, SG, Illinois State, 15,2ppg, 5,4rpg, 1,0spg

Mike Efevberha, SG, Wellington (NZL)

The forwards:

Touted veteran and premium blogger Gabe Muoneke should be making the team, as well as newcomer Ike Diogu from the Sacramento Kings.

Muoneke, who would love to erase the past season in China from his vita (Although being one of the top-scorers of the CBA), and who recently being released in Puerto Rico, is providing leadership and is a constant threat on offense while not being selfish with the ball in his hands. Diogu, who has represented the U.S. in the Pan-American Games in 2003, has been rarely used in the NBA until the Kings gave him a chance to prove he belongs to the league. The 9th pick of the NBA-Draft in 2005 scored 32 points on Denver and 28 points on Minnesota recording in both of the games double-doubles. Another cornerstone of the team will be Uche Nsonwu who already re-signed with Roanne where he put up solid numbers after arriving from the Ukraine.

Often used defensive specialist Aloysius Anagonye and World Championship-experienced Ekene Ibekwe could both be in, while Abdullahi Kuso, Uche Echefu and Ejike Ugboaja will be having a hard time to battle for the remaining spots on the team.

Stats:

Aloysius Anagonye, PF, Galil Gilboa (ISR), 5,5ppg, 4,3rpg

Uche Echefu, PF, Florida State, 8,1ppg, 5,2rpg

Gabe Mouneke, SF, Guaynabo (PUR), 20,8ppg, 6,2rpg

Ike Diogu, PF, Sacramento, 9,2ppg, 3,9rpg (only Sacramento)

Ekene Ibekwe, PF, Carolina (PUR), 11,2ppg, 8,2rpg, 1,7bpg

Ejike Ugboaja, PF, Azad Univ. (IRN)

Abdullahi Kuso, PF, Sumy (UKR), 11,6ppg, 7,6rpg, 1bpg

Uche Nsonwu, PF/C, Roanne, 11,4ppg, 8,0rpg

The centers:

Long-time friends Olumide Oyedeji and Ben Eze should be both dominant factors for Nigeria as both bring a lot of intensity and experience to the game. Oyedeji has proven in recent years that he can play tough on both sides of the court while Eze emerged as one of the best players in the Euro league.

It has to be seen if Eze is really going to represent Nigeria after years of abstinence. If so, Deji Akindele is more than ready to contribute. The Italy-bound center had a great year in Pesaro and proved to belong to the best centers in Italy if not in Europe. Benson Egemonye showed flashes in the past season while playing for the University of Niagara and Sani Ibrahim is a fierce competitor under the boards, but both will probably not going to Libya this year.

Stats:

Sani Ibrahim, C, Leuven (BEL), 6ppg, 5,2rpg

Deji Akindele, C, Pesaro, 11,1ppg, 6,7rpg, 1,6bpg, 2,1spg

Olumide Oyedeji, C, Shanxi (CHN), 20,3ppg, 19,8rpg, 1,8bpg

Ben Eze, PF/C , Siena, 8,8ppg, 8,2rpg, 1,4bpg

Benson Egemonye,C, Niagara, 12,7ppg, 7,1rpg, 1,6bpg

There will also be the best ten Nigeria-based players invited to the camp but I doubt that one of the called-up players will be able to crack the roster with such a high number of internationally-experienced players in the mix for Libya.

My ideal team for Libya would be looking as follows:

Guards: Akognon, Udoka, Skinn, Ere and C. Oguchi

Forwards: Muoneke, Diogu, Ibekwe and Nsonwu

Centers: Oyedeji, Eze and Akindele

With such a roster, Nigeria's chances to grab one of the medals in Libya should be high. Now it's up to the coach to form a team out of this crop of excellent players and build a team-chemistry as well a new hierarchy to put back Nigeria on the basketball map after its failure in 2007.
    http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_...e=actu&id=4772
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

NGR – Afrobasket Libya 2009: Our team will dominate continental basketball

President, Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF), Tijani Umar, says the newly inaugurated board will ensure that the national teams win FIBA Africa competitions this year.

Umar said yesterday in Lagos that the competitions would involve the senior national male and the female teams as well as the Under-16 teams.
    The senior male teams are to compete in the FIBA Africa Nations Championship in Libya and in Madagascar for the female teams, he said.
    "The board, inaugurated on Tuesday, will work to see that the country takes part in all programmes on FIBA-Africa calendar for this year.
    "This we have started by inviting foreign-based players to camp in Houston, U.S., while the home-based players will be camped preparatory to the selection of the final team," Umar said.

He said the first phase of the camping would hold from June 26 to July 1, while the final phase would hold from July 20 to July 31.

The male team is expected to depart the country on Aug. 2 for the Aug. 5 competition in Libya but a date for the female team has yet to be announced.

On the cadet teams, he said that their coaches had been directed to start preparations for the qualifiers for Africa Under-16 Championship in Maputo, Mozambique and in Dakar, Senegal in August.

The male U-16 championship is to hold from July 16 to July 25 in Maputo, while the female championship is scheduled for Aug. 22 to Aug. 30 in Dakar.

He said the qualification tournament for the U-16 boys and girl's championships had been slated for Cotonou, Benin Republic, from June 24 to 28.
    "We are mapping out strategies to put things right and eventually actualise our proposed programmes for the year," he said.

Umar appealed to lovers of the game to rally support for the NBBF for the good of the sport and the players.
    http://www.fiba-afrique.org/en/lect_...e=actu&id=4784
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast