Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones Cup 2009 [Jul 18 Taiwan]

Renato William Jones Cup 2009

R. William Jones Cup (also known as the Jones Cup) is an international basketball tournament held annually at Taipei, Taiwan. It was named after basketball promoter and one of the founders of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA), Renato William Jones.

The tournament started on 1977, and ever since the Jones Cup tournament was held annually. There are two version of William Jones Cup, the tournament for men's basketball and for women's basketball both dominated by American teams since 1977.

In 2003, due to the SARS epidemic crisis in Asia, the tournament was cancelled but resumed the competition in 2004.

The tournament invited teams, clubs, collegiate and national teams, from around the world but mainly from the Asian region.

William Jones Cup Champions

* 1977 - Flag of the United States American Challenger
    * 1978 - Flag of the United States American Buluside
    * 1979 - not held
    * 1980 - Sweden
    * 1981 - Flag of the Philippines Northern Cement
    * 1982 - USA
    * 1983 - USA
    * 1984 - USA
    * 1985 - Flag of the Philippines San Miguel Beer
    * 1986 - USA
    * 1987 - Flag of West Germany West Germany
    * 1988 - USA
    * 1990 - Mexico
    * 1991 - USA
    * 1992 - USA
    * 1993 - Flag of the United States University of Hawaii
    * 1994 - USA
    * 1995 - USA
    * 1996 - Canada
    * 1997 - USA
    * 1998 - Flag of the Philippines Philippine Centennial Team
    * 1999 - Korea
    * 2000 - New Zealand Tall Blacks
    * 2001 - Chinese Taipei
    * 2002 - Flag of Australia Great Mates
    * 2003 - not held
    * 2004 - Chinese Taipei
    * 2005 - Flag of the United States Passing Lane
    * 2006 - Flag of the United States Athletes in Action
    * 2007 - Jordan
    * 2008 - Jordan
    Last edited by ThreeStars&aSun; 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM.
    FOR FLAG AND COUNTRY AND THE PBA !
    TEAM PILIPINAS ! WE BELIEVE !

WE DO ORDINARY THINGS EXTRAORDINARILY WELL.
    FAITH IN THE FLAME! ANIMO BENILDE!

TEAM PILIPINAS ROSTER FOR JONES CUP 2009

B]Powerade - Team Pilipinas[/B] Roster for R. William Jones Cup 2009

C - Asi " The Rock " Taulava
    - 6'9 - Mythical Team 1 MVP Team Captain

C/F - Mick " The Slick " Pennisi
    - 6'10 All Star Game MVP

C/F - Japeth " The Future " Aguilar - 6'10

C - Sonny " The Boss " Thoss
    - Mythical Team 2 6'7

F - Kelly " The Machine Gun " Williams
    - 6'8 Rookie of the Year MVP INJURED

F - Kerby " The Kid " Raymundo
    - 6'7 - Mythical Team 2 Team Co - Captain

G/F - Gabe " Mr. President " Norwood
    - 6'5 #1 Draft Pick

F - Ranidel " The Mighty Man " de Ocampo - 6'5

F - Arwind " The Whirlwind " Santos
    - 6'4 Mythical Team 1

G - Jared " The Dare Devil " Dillinger
    - 6'5 All Star Game MVP

G - Cyrus " The Skyrus " Baguio
    - 6'2 Mythical Team 2

G - James " Big Game " Yap
    - 6'3 MVP

G - Ryan " The Energizer " Reyes
    - 6'2 Rookie of the Year - INJURED

G - Willie " The Thriller " Miller
    - 5'11 2x MVP

G - Jayjay " The Fast " Helterbrand
    - 6'0 Mythical Team 1 INJURED as of May 27, 2009

Coach - Joseller " Yeng " Guiao

Assistant Coaches: Gee Abanilla, Roehl Nadurata and Kenneth Duremdes

Team Manager: JB Baylon

images are from www.pba.ph and Team Pilipinas Friendster

Last edited by ThreeStars&aSun; 06-10-2009, 12:08 AM.
    FOR FLAG AND COUNTRY AND THE PBA !
    TEAM PILIPINAS ! WE BELIEVE !

WE DO ORDINARY THINGS EXTRAORDINARILY WELL.
    FAITH IN THE FLAME! ANIMO BENILDE!

Comment

^ Kelly Williams will not be playing in the Jones Cup as he's still out with a blood disorder. in fact, Yeng already dropped him from the NT pool for the 2009 FIBA-Asia joust as he will need months to recover from his illness.

Comment

any final list of the teams participating? tnx

Comment

Originally posted by donno View Post
          ^ Kelly Williams will not be playing in the Jones Cup as he's still out with a blood disorder. in fact, Yeng already dropped him from the NT pool for the 2009 FIBA-Asia joust as he will need months to recover from his illness.

I realy hope Coach Yeng considers Jay Washington. That guys is a perfect fit
          Height speed and shooting..Since kelly is gone. ..I stil question Japeth Aguilar until i see him play..I hate the hype all around him..but in the end will dissapoint us all. Well prove me wrong japeth
          You know how to WIN against the Philippines? Zone them do death and watch them crumble. Been working Since 2002 and coaches until today don't have the answer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cammomile View Post
            I realy hope Coach Yeng considers Jay Washington. That guys is a perfect fit
            Height speed and shooting..Since kelly is gone. ..I stil question Japeth Aguilar until i see him play..I hate the hype all around him..but in the end will dissapoint us all. Well prove me wrong japeth
            back in 2007 i agree with you but now he is a douchebag he is given a chance in san miguel then prove it as he in now in my pbfantasy team kiddding aside

about japhet its not all hype maybe your a la sallite his scoring is overrated but there is one thing that is really not absolutely overrated and he is the best guy or the only guy who can provide us that thats why he is on the team it is proven not only in uaap pang us ncaa rin pala norwoods stats is almost same as japhet but both upsides
            To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
            1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post
              back in 2007 i agree with you but now he is a douchebag he is given a chance in san miguel then prove it as he in now in my pbfantasy team kiddding aside

about japhet its not all hype maybe your a la sallite his scoring is overrated but there is one thing that is really not absolutely overrated and he is the best guy or the only guy who can provide us that thats why he is on the team it is proven not only in uaap pang us ncaa rin pala norwoods stats is almost same as japhet but both upsides
              Well Japhet hasn't shown any promise on WKU, and besides his stats in the UAAP wasn't that impressive or we I could still be wrong. Maybe those training with WKU really paid off.
              you know why I am happy

Comment

Originally posted by reamily View Post

what feers me is you are correct. after japeth we dont have anymore options. dont dissapoints us japeth..
                You know how to WIN against the Philippines? Zone them do death and watch them crumble. Been working Since 2002 and coaches until today don't have the answer for it.

Comment

Originally posted by b3lowzro View Post
                  Well Japhet hasn't shown any promise on WKU, and besides his stats in the UAAP wasn't that impressive or we I could still be wrong. Maybe those training with WKU really paid off.
                  wala in other stats anybody is better than him but one thing one thing that we all need that he has a natural ability only one ability that accidentally("nagkataon") no one pure filipino or filipino representing player can do

Gabe Norwood maybe for me has not shown any promise in his last year in GMU
                  taht he should be one of the cornerstones of the team but...
                  To becomes Asia's Best, we need to compete against the World's Best..
                  1 Big 4 small > 5 out offense.

Comment

my faith on Japeth is not on his offensive game but how he will play interior defense for us. i've seen some of his clips in WKU and i must say that he tremendously improved in defense. we don't need him to score for the team as others will do that job. his height and versatility to play 3, 4 and 5 is what our NT needs.

Comment

RP vs. Chinese Taipei..always the most anticipated

Comment

Originally posted by KevinDurant View Post
                        RP vs. Chinese Taipei..always the most anticipated
                        what sport? basketball or boxing?

Comment

I heard last saturday where Abe King talked about Japeth..he said that Japeth is the real thing barring any injuries, he can contribute a lot to the national team..he said the japeth could be the next big thing in Philippine Basketball..hope its true..

Comment

Its sad that smart gilas will not be joining this tournament?
                            ________
                            Herbal store
                            Last edited by Jeon_Addict; 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM.
                            Earn US Dollars Via Mobile App

Comment

Originally posted by Jeon_Addict View Post
                              Its sad that smart gilas will not be joining this tournament?
                              actually, they really want to join in that tournamnet but the Jones Cup organizers just want 1 team per country. it's quite odd as in one of the previous Jones Cup editions they did put up two Taiwanese teams.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information