Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Republic NT

Sontos maritinez is out for Injury, Marlon Martinez is part of the Team now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojado View Post
    Ariza has been recently called up by the US NT for their perspective team.
    Well, I just Copied and pasted the list from FIBA Americas, and Ariza name was in there. so don't blame it on the messenger, maybe they made a mistake, I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Mojado View Post
    I see a problem coming up at shooting guard as there are five players I would call up on that position...
    how is that a problem isn't it good to be covered in a position besides, 5? I say there are only 3 players worth looking at the ponit.

Anyway

It's good to be covered in all positions but...
    All those SG will want to be part of the team, all of them will want playing time, chemistry issues, SG playing as PG's, etc...

We will have to see what Ariza will do, he have options. I guess it's a blessing in disguise for DR that Ariza joins team USA. I seriously doubt his ability to adapt to FIBA basketball, and they could always move 'Cisco or other SG to SF and maximize the dept of the team.

According to Julio Toro, Franklyn Western is already on the team. He called Western a "VIP in the team". Link in spanish.

http://www.listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=108491

Quote Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
    According to Julio Toro, Franklyn Western is already on the team. He called Western a "VIP in the team". Link in spanish.

http://www.listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=108491
    favoritism

DOM - Dominican National team almost complete

SANTO DOMINGO (2009 FIBA Americas Championship) – The Dominican Republic National Team is almost complete for the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship to be played in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
    Dominican Basketball Federation President, Frank Herasme, informed that the arrival of Al Horford and Luis Flores will be in August.

"Horford and Flores will join the team in the first week of August while Julio Toro (head coach) will be in eight days, after he finishes the BSN finals,” said Herasme to ESPN Deportes.

The Dominicans also confirmed center Josh Asselin who was naturalized and guard Francisco Garcia is already training. Carlos Morbán, Joel Ramírez, Marlon Martínez, Iván Almonte, Juan Coronado, Richard Ortega, among others already reported to the team.

Their arrival to Puerto Rico will be five to six days before the FIBA Americas Championship in order to warm up against the Puerto Rican national team or a club.

NBA star Charlie Villanueva already arrived to the Dominican Republic and he is happy after signing with the Detroit Pistons and at the same time he received permission to play in the tournament.

"I am close to fulfilling my dream of representing the Dominican Republic, the country of my parents and all my family. I was born in the United States but my origins are here and I feel Dominican," said Villanueva to basketdominicano.com

"I already have the Dominican passport, I came to get it in order to go into Puerto Rico," said Villanueva who will get his citizenship soon.

Villanueva will also join the practices at the start of August for the team that hopes to finish in the top four in order to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.
    http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/new...1205/arti.html
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

The Argentinian Federation and the Puertorrican Federation are presenting a claim against Charlie Villanueva and Josh Asselin.

Argentina says that the autorization for CV31 to play for RD was processed to fast.

Puerto Rico argues that CV31 and Josh Asselin cant play together because both of them are naturalized players, since Josh is not dominican and CV31 already lost his dominican status by playing with USA.

Villanueva never played on the Senior team, so he should be alright to play for D.R.

Quote Originally Posted by raft View Post
    Villanueva never played on the Senior team, so he should be alright to play for D.R.
    but he played on the U21, and that's enough to disqualify him to play for DR.
    DR should have followed a process, which would have required a letter from USA Basketball allowing CV31 to play for DR, a time period, and a couple of things i cant really remember. On the other side, Tuto Marchand promised the DR Federation that if they could get CV31 a DR passport, he would be able to play. FIBA is evaluation the case at the moment.

The issue is not about him not playing for a senior team, the issue is that he declared his basketball nationality being over 18 years old. He was 19 years old, about to be 20 in Halifax when he represented USA, which under my limited understanding, makes him a property of USA Basketball unless they quit on his rights.

My understanding is that the DR Federation is trying to nationalize him by giving him a dominican passport. A passport and the constitution of a country doesnt make u elegible to play for a National Team according to FIBA rules.

The president of the PR Federation has denied that they filed a complaint to FIBA about the issue.
    Last edited by J-Mart; 08-21-2009 at 09:39 AM.

I am pretty sure if he didn't play for the Senior team he is alright to play for another country. This is why Ben Gordon can play for Britain if he wants. Gordon played for a junior level US team a few years back when he was still at UConn and over 18.

Quote Originally Posted by raft View Post
    I am pretty sure if he didn't play for the Senior team he is alright to play for another country. This is why Ben Gordon can play for Britain if he wants. Gordon played for a junior level US team a few years back when he was still at UConn and over 18.
    ben gordon played for the seniors team at a Pan Am tournament in 2003 in Santo Domingo. The team was composed of then college players, but competing in the senior level. Played with the likes of Emeka Okafor, Josh Childress, Andre Barrett, Chuck Hayes, Ike Dioug, Luke Jackson, and others. The tournament was won by Brazil (Varejao, Machado, Splitter, Giovannoni), the dominicans finished 2nd (JMM, Cisco, Western, Filion) Puerto Rico finished third (Arroyo, Ayuso, Santiago, Dalmau) and USA finished 4th. Ben Gordon cant play for Britan. He has never played for Britain, and if he wants to play for Britain, he has to get a clearance from Team USA.

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...page=mpag_2003
    Last edited by J-Mart; 08-21-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Fiba should let Villanueva play for the dominicans, dont know who is Josh Asselin, but he has ass on his name so he must be arrogant. Nationalized players or not Puerto Rico will still wipe the floor with them..
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mart View Post
    the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by saalsapr View Post
    Fiba should let Villanueva play for the dominicans, dont know who is Josh Asselin, but he has ass on his name so he must be arrogant. Nationalized players or not Puerto Rico will still wipe the floor with them..
    Josh Asselin played as an import a couple of years ago in Puerto Rico and got his butt kicked. After that he played fairly well in the spanish ACB. He was naturalized by the dominicans for the 2005 Tournament of the Americas. He aint as good as advertised. Villanueva is a far better option than him, so I wouldnt complain if I was dominican and FIBA made me decide between the 2 of em.

The Argentinian Federation and the Puertorrican Federation are presenting a claim against Charlie Villanueva and Josh Asselin.

Argentina says that the autorization for CV31 to play for RD was processed to fast.

Puerto Rico argues that CV31 and Josh Asselin cant play together because both of them are naturalized players, since Josh is not dominican and CV31 already lost his dominican status by playing with USA.

Interesting... where did you find this information ??

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by stuart View Post
    Interesting... where did you find this information ??

Stuart
    dominican newspaper, sorry I didnt link it, i was in a news rush

http://listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=112280

http://basketdominicano.blogspot.com...rriquenos.html

http://basketdominicano.blogspot.com...an-quedar.html

links are in spanish.

“pienso que los puertorriqueños están rabiosos y celosos, porque le dimos una pela las dos veces que jugamos contra ellos en los dos partidos de fogueo”.

Hahaha what a dumass comment. They must feel pretty confident about beating a rican team practically naked at the forward and center positions. Lets see what Villanueva has to say when they face a team with Vasallo, Ramos, Santiago, and Reyes. Saying we have envy and are mad at them for beating an incomplete team is whack. Keep your mouth shut Villanueva, you look smarter that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Mart View Post
    the land of the free and the home of the brave is the greatest joke I've ever heard. There is no such thing as liberty and the american dream is more overrated than Japeth Aguilar was when u guys found he was a pinoy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is Ariza a legit NT player for the Dominican Republic? If ever, is he allowed? He's a dual citizen right?
    If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    Is Ariza a legit NT player for the Dominican Republic? If ever, is he allowed? He's a dual citizen right?
    Yes and US called him for Training camp with the dream team

Quote Originally Posted by durden_tyler View Post
    I think he is a grandson ut im not sure

the Dominican Federation signed some dominican lawyers with license in Puerto Rico in a last attempt to prove Charlie Villanueva's origins, bla bla bla blah Blah blah blah blaaaah

http://listin.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=112672

its really funny to see how some Americas teams are struggling to enroll players with CLEAR nation connections... while across the oceans in Africa and Asia teams are playing with many players with NO connection whatsoever....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast