Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominican Republic NT

DOM - Villanueva happy to represent the Dominican Republic

BRISTOL (FIBA Americas Championship Men) - In an ESPN Deportes chat room Dominican star Charlie Villanueva said that he was happy to represent the Dominican Republic in the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship and also talked about his future in the NBA.

Villanueva, who plays for the Milwaukee Bucks in the NBA, will make his debut for the Dominican Republic in the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship to be played from August 26 to September 6 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

"I already have my dual citizenship. I am waiting for the passport. I am excited to play for the Dominican Republic, I am happy. This will be the first year that Francisco GarcĂ­a, Al Horford and I will play together," said to the fans.

The NBA star already visited his family during his first NBA season and talked about his parents.

"My mother is from Cabrera and my father from Santo Domingo. I visited Santo Domingo on my first year in the NBA to see my family and my grandmother, who still lives in Cabrera."

Villanueva is a free agent after his solid year in the NBA where he averaged 16.2 points and 6.7 rebounds in 78 games.

"It is difficult. I would like to stay in Milwaukee but I don't know. I would like to live closer to my mom. I would like to be in a bigger and Hispanic market."
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

The DR cancelled their participation in the CBC in Tortola and are going to organize the Centrobasket 2010 instead with the money.Trinidad & Tobago substitutes them in the Caribbean Champs.
    http://www.eldia.com.do/deportes/200...neo-del-Caribe

I from Wisconsin!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

why isn't ariza playing with them ? i dont like him btw, but they would be greater with that frontcourt ariza,garcia,horford,vilanoova, and what about stephen jackson ? or garth joseph will he play with them ?

Comment

I bet Ariza has no Dominican passport since birth so he could fall under "naturalized player" which would mean Villanueva could not play as he has been recently naturalized and only one is eligible to play per national-team.

I from Wisconsin!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6O8FR0rbQ

TO SYNTHESIZER WE ARE A BIG TEAM

Comment

Originally posted by [spider
          why isn't ariza playing with them ? i dont like him btw, but they would be greater with that frontcourt ariza,garcia,horford,vilanoova, and what about stephen jackson ? or garth joseph will he play with them ?

LOL Garth Joseph is from Dominica hahahaha not The Dominican Republic
          Last edited by Lewis; 06-06-2009, 07:44 AM.

Comment

This DR team is looking good with horford, villanueva, & garcia. I think they can make some noise in the FIBA Americas this summer and qualify for Turkey.

Does the naturalized player rule still count for players who actually have the country in their blood? I thought that that Puerto Rico had lots of guys born in the US.
            Last edited by rikhardur; 06-06-2009, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sime0n View Post
              This DR team is looking good with horford, villanueva, & garcia. I think they can make some noise in the FIBA Americas this summer and qualify for Turkey.

Does the naturalized player rule still count for players who actually have the country in their blood? I thought that that Puerto Rico had lots of guys born in the US.
              Well, players whose at least one of their parents or Grandparents is/was Puerto Rican or born in Puerto Rico can play for the P.R.

but that rule only apply for Ricans.

Comment

Originally posted by sime0n View Post

We(Puerto Rico) cant naturalized players from USA, but yeah, those who have rican blood first generation and second generation. Only apply for us.
                Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

LOL I said it first than you haha

Originally posted by PRSURF View Post
                  We(Puerto Rico) cant naturalized players from USA, but yeah, those who have rican blood first generation and second generation. Only apply for us.

IN your Face

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    LOL I said it first than you haha

IN your Face
                    Sorry
                    Originally Posted by -K2- View Post
                    16 free throws in the last 4 minutes...
                    Puerto Rico had 20 the whole game

Seriosuly... someone quote this whole post and signature me... Greek Loby Rulz
                    8/29/2010...THE DAY WE GOT ROBBED!

Comment

DOM - Flores says talented Dominicans must prove they can jell in San Juan

SANTO DOMINGO (FIBA Americas Championship) – Dominican Republic guard Luis Flores has warned that the inclusion of four NBA players in the national team will not guarantee success at the FIBA Americas Championship.

The Dominican Republic expect to have Al Horford, Charlie Villanueva, Francisco GarcĂ­a and Trevor Ariza in their group from August 26 to September 6 in San Juan, Puerto Rico, when they play at the qualifying tournament for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

"The fact that we have four NBA players and two more with experience - me and Sammy Mejia - doesn't guarantee any victories,” Flores said, “(finding the right) chemistry will give us the positive results.”

Flores says he’s very excited about the addition of players who compete in the NBA, including Ariza who is on the books of the Los Angeles Lakers.

“It is great to play with them in the Dominican team," he said, before admitted that his own place in the squad is not a certainty.

"I want to be at the FIBA Americas Championship,” he said. “I am just waiting for the call to join the team.

“Everyone knows the pride that I take in representing my country.”
                      Artificial Nature

Comment

Puerto Ricans Julio Toro and Flor Meléndez, as well as Argentine Nestor García, are the three candidates to coach the Dominican NT this year.

Comment

Originally posted by alermac View Post
                          Puerto Ricans Julio Toro and Flor Meléndez, as well as Argentine Nestor García, are the three candidates to coach the Dominican NT this year.
                          Toro was at the brink of signing wasn't he?
                          Artificial Nature

Comment

luis flores is one of the nicest and talented players that plAyed in israel ever!!! Great guy and i wish the best for him...i think he should be the nt startING shooting guard if he is not injured like at the end of season in israel...

Comment

Originally posted by bigyellow View Post
                              luis flores is one of the nicest and talented players that plAyed in israel ever!!! Great guy and i wish the best for him...i think he should be the nt startING shooting guard if he is not injured like at the end of season in israel...
                              NBA FRANCISCO GARCIA will probaly start at Shooting Guard, I don't know who's better, but Garcia plays in the NBA, LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information