This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilsen: Deng, Biedrins Examples Of Impact Players

I have to admit to having been left bemused by the thankfully now resolved cliffhanger otherwise known as ‘Pau Gasol and Poland'. The Spanish nation really love a bit of gossip and soap opera but the ‘will he, won't he?' saga was in danger of becoming tiresome.

Certainly not because of the NBA play-off champion himself, nor those in Iberia eagerly anticipating the decision. Simply because I couldn't help wondering amidst all of the fuss how much it actually mattered. For the sake of the tournament itself, I guess it is hugely significant. Pau heading to Poland means more exposure at so many levels.

However even with another NBA star in Jose Calderon withdrawing due to an injury, it always felt to me that whether Pau played or not, the Spanish team has so much quality at its disposal that a ‘no gracias' from Pau would not have exactly spelled disaster.

Sergio Scariolo has the luxury of another member of the Gasol family, the MVP of the Spanish league in Felipe Reyes and someone like Barcelona center Fran Vazquez to call on - I am sure if fate had decided Pau wasn't going, Vazquez might have actually made himself available (he says with tongue in cheek). Consequently sympathy for those tortured Spanish supporters did fade a little during this epic saga!

Spare a thought for those National teams who don't have the same kind of calibre and depth, teams with a ‘marquee player' whom if they decide to ‘rest' or get injured, mean the chances of the side progressing in the tournament diminish drastically.

Yes, I have been choking back the EuroBasket tears at the prospect of Luol Deng being sidelined. While British basketball fans engage in every kind of superstition imaginable to summon luck in the faint hope that Deng can still make it, I didn't. This potential disaster just got me thinking.

Which teams at Eurobasket 2009 are most reliant one player and would suffer a mini-disaster if they didn't have him on court? It was an intriguing notion and while sadly, I kind of knew Deng would be high on the list, I felt it deserved a bit of non-scientific exploration.

My first finding (and a pretty obvious one) is that all of the top rated teams heading into EuroBasket 2009 could just about cope with the loss of any individual player without it significantly changing their prospects. This was the easy part. I found that there were 6 teams who would not be sunk, merely weakened. Those teams were Spain, Greece, Lithuania, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia. For me, they either have too much quality and depth (Lithuania) or, they don't have any one stand out star in the first place (Croatia).

I then had a bunch of teams heading for Eurobasket 2009 such as Israel, Turkey, FYR of Macedonia and hosts Poland that I could genuinely not fathom. Perhaps these teams just don't have that one big star and neither do they have the quality of those teams listed above to cope with a major injury. The closest I got was thinking that Hedo Turkoglu getting injured for example could really affect Turkey but then they are a team with a history of so many personalities and surprises that it didn't convince me.

I therefore ended up with a list of five EuroBasket teams who I consider to be significantly reliant upon one individual player and significantly, should that player in question miss the competition, the entire outlook for the tournament would be turned on its head. I guess it also potentially highlighted the five most influential players heading for Poland.

1. Latvia - Biedrins

Latvia have a really settled team and some great players supporting the Golden State Warriors star. Valters has been snapped up by DKV Joventut after a stellar year, Blums has shined with Bilbao while Berzins has made it an ACB trio after signing for Fuenlabrada next year. Janicenoks is also hugely underrated but Biedrins showed during qualifying that he is a tower of strength and arguably the biggest marquee player out there. Top scorer, top rebounder and all round go-to-guy. Don't even think about him wearing civilian clothes in September - a truly nightmare scenario for this nation.

2. Great Britain - Deng

The influence Deng has had on the game in the UK both on and off the court is immeasurable. His talent helped the meteoric rise of this fledgling basketball nation while his mere presence draws defenders and exposes the space for his team-mates to exploit. Without him, the team loses their heartbeat and inspiration. While Great Britain captain Andrew Sullivan put on a brave face last week, the fact is that with him, Great Britain can win a game and progress. Without him, an early trip home looks a nailed on certainty. You just can't replace Luol Deng.

3. Germany - Nowitzki

With so much debate raging in German basketball about an ageing team, the need for re-building, import player quotas in the domestic league and a perceived lack of talent to choose from - it isn't surprising that so much hinges on the uber-influential Mavericks player committing to his homeland once again. Someone said to me recently that without him, Germany will be relegated and can forget it. I didn't argue. So much rests on the shoulders of this legend that his possible EuroBasket sabbatical means some serious issues suddenly coming home to roost for this National team.

4. Bulgaria - Jaaber

Hugely instrumental in qualifying, his energy and Euroleague experience are vital but not as much as his defence. Jaaber has quickness and defensive qualities that at this level could keep Bulgaria competitive while he is also the top scorer. Without him, even the hugely experienced Pini Gershon couldn't find a way of plugging that gap!

5.Russia - Kirilenko

While he was named in the Russia squad last week (maybe in hope rather than expectation) it looks like Kirilenko might actually miss EuroBasket 2009 and that would be a hammer blow to Russia. He might not have had the greatest seasons in the NBA but without him, the defending champions lose a whole lot of experience and quality. You feel with him they have a faint hope of making the latter stages but without him, their hopes trickle away and fade to pretty much nothing.

Hopefully the next time you are sat over some coffee with friends and looking forward to the big EuroBasket 2009 tip-off, this is a debate worth having. Just remember that for those of you who hail from either Latvia, Bulgaria, Great Britain, Germany or Russia - you might be better off putting that cup of coffee down and instead, saying a little prayer that your main guy makes it onto the floor this summer.
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Comment

Nilsen: Group A Cut And Dry?

Whenever making predictions or previewing tournaments, you are always liable to make yourself look foolish as the many pundits who didn't even have Russia penciled in for a top eight spot at Eurobasket 2007 would no doubt testify.

Starting a run of previews as we countdown the seven weeks until the big tip-off, you have to think that Poznan will see the most predictable outcomes and that Group A is, at least on paper, the most cut and dry of all of the groups.

As we all know though, basketball isn't played on paper, it is played out on the floor and while the smart money is on Olympians Greece and Croatia finishing in the top two spots, both Israel and FYR of Macedonia will be looking to spring a surprise.

In the first part of this Group A preview, we check in with Croatia and FYR of Macedonia.

Croatia

Don't be fooled by a lack of glittering NBA names on the roster. After successive sixth placed finishes at Eurobasket 2007 and the Olympic Games in Beijing, Croatia have raised the bar for themselves. With a system that suits the players and the expert hand of Jasmin Repesa at the helm, they have standards to maintain while dreams of a medal have a genuine chance of being fulfilled if luck is on their side.

It is in the front-court where Croatia seem to be particularly strong with Vujcic and Kasun possibly back. This could be important as it gives them a big advantage in the Group stages over Israel, an edge over FYR of Macedonia and crucially helps them match up better than most teams with one of the front-runners in Greece.

The influence of Roko Leni-Ukic on this Croatian team will be significant and if he can finally get his outside shot going then this could be a major difference between disappointment and a genuine shot at a medal.

Their strength in many ways is that they don't have any real stellar names and will get things done as one unit and not rely on any individuals. This in itself is one reason for their consistency of late. A Luol Deng, Dirk Nowitzki or Ibby Jaaber goes stone cold or gets injured for their respective nations and a giant hole needs to be filled - this scenario barely exists with Croatia.

In the cut and thrust of tournament basketball with the physical and mental demands, this is an advantage and dynamic often overlooked and why they might quietly and efficiently sneak up on the rails to make a play for the semi-finals.

CROATIA

Key player: Roko-Leni Ukic. NBA quality with a steady hand and important influence on this team

Sleeper: Ante Tomic is preparing to make a name for himself on the International stage

X-Factor: Mario Kasun. Will he go or not? Can he get over his injuries? If he does stay healthy, he could provide the extra muscle to help catapult Croatia onto the podium

Weak points: No one true superstar who can be the go-to-guy in the potential medal games or bail them out during a bad game.

Strong points: No true superstar also means that all of the eggs aren't in one basket. Team ethic is king in Croatia and the sum of the team is greater than all of its parts. On balance, that could give them the edge.

Wish you were here: Incredibly there are no major players ‘resting' or seriously injured at present

You probably didn't know: The American White House was partly built out of stone from the Croatian island of Brac

Recent news: The Croatian second team won gold recently in the Mediterranean Games

What fans should pack in their suitcase: An extra few Euros as there may be a real chance of celebrating a medal in Katowice.

Movies and movie titles for Croatia: Sense and Sensibility or perhaps Serenity. Either titles would reflect this settled and practical basketball team who play within the confines of a nice system without the drama of question marks over key players in most other teams.

Key to success: Coach Repesa and how he coaches his team. The tried and trusted system is in place but can he really get his players to jump up to that next level and into medal contention?

In just five words: Continuity could deliver a medal

Tournament prediction: 1-4 (if not then a World Championship place via 5,6 or even 7 if Turkey finish higher)

FYR of Macedonia

This passionate and energetic National team are determined to show they are the real deal although that will be tough. An exciting blend of youth and experience in the hands of an underrated coach could be the perfect recipe to spring a major surprise.

Led by inspirational veteran Vrbica Stefanov who has chosen to proudly end his glittering career in a national vest, the team has a true heartbeat through which everything is likely to ebb and flow.

Experienced top class warriors in the paint like Todor Gecevski and Pero Antik will line up alongside exciting young talents like Predrag Samardziski who could finally be ready to explode at this level and fulfil his massive talent after being very much handled with ‘kid gloves' during qualification.

There is little doubt that in Jeremiah Massey, Coach Arsic has a high calibre player with experience at the very top level - something that will be invaluable to him. Indeed he could be the ‘X Factor' on which the success or otherwise of this team is based.

The biggest blow to FYR of Macedonia however is the injury to the hugely experienced Vlado Ilievski which has ruled him out of the tournament - a real disappointment.

It will be tough to progress past the group stages with one of the tournament favourites Greece likely to take one spot and that will be a tough opening game against their neighbours while Croatia, another near neighbour, will also be looking to impose their Olympic pedigree.

If there is one particular rivalry that really whets the appetite and further ignites the passion of the players and fans it is with Israel. The rivalry has developed to such an extent that veteran playmaker Vrbica Stefanov, has
      previously described it as the "Israel syndrome".

Both countries have quite a history on the court and know each other well since the Israelis delivered the knockout blow in the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2007 while they also picked up a win against FYR of Macedonia in EuroBasket 1999.

This tournament should hold no fear for this effervescent team. Progression past the group stages will be difficult but is nevertheless a genuine possibility if they can overcome Israel and they are certainly a team capable of springing a surprise - though the absence of the influential Ilievski could severely limit their chances.

Key player - Vrbica Stefanov. The final stand of a Macedonian basketball legend.

Sleeper - Predrag Samardziski. It's time for him to really make his mark at this level

X Factor - Jeremiah Massey. His energy, vibrancy and athleticism is crucial. Has plenty to prove after a bumpy year at Real Madrid

Weak points - If Stefanov isn't on court or doing the business, the back-court is weak now that Ilievski has been ruled out with injury. Not the best perimeter shooting team.

Strong points - Experienced spine of the team. A hard-nosed front court. Good in transition and decent defensively with plenty of aggression helping rack up the steals.

Wish you were here - Valdo Ilievski

You probably didn't know - Nobel peace prize winner Mother Theresa was born in Skopje and you can now find a statue of her in the FYR of Macedonia capital

Recent news - The team will play their first preparation game against Slovenia on 02 August

What fans should pack in their suitcase - A tourist book of attractions in Poland as the basketball might be over in just three days

Movies and Movie Titles for FYR of Macedonia - I am tempted to try and get away with ‘Vrbica Stefanov and the Last Crusade' as he is more than capable of filling in for Harrison Ford for one last hurrah but maybe without Iilievski, the most appropriate movie title is simply ‘As Good As It Gets' for these EuroBasket underdogs who probably won't progress

Key to success - Self belief, being aggressive and getting in the faces of their opponents with a high tempo game. Can playmaker Stefanov turn it back on like a tap even though he has not played at a top club level all season?

In just five words - The mission of their lives

Tournament prediction - 13+
      Artificial Nature

Comment

These are some great articles Rik, keep 'em coming.

Stuart
        http://www.facebook.com/interbasket
        http://www.twitter.com/interbasket
        http://www.interbasket.net

Comment

Originally posted by stuart View Post
          These are some great articles Rik, keep 'em coming.

Stuart
          Thank Paul Nilsen
          Artificial Nature

Comment

Nilsen: Group A, Part II

Will events in Poznan really be as cut and dry as I made out in the first part of my EuroBasket 2009 preview?

Keeping the spotlight firmly fixed on what still appears to be the most predictable part of the tournament, its time to complete the assessment of Group A and focus on the prospects of an under strength Greece and a quietly confident Israel.

Greece

Everything changes but nothing changes. A new coach, the absence of key players but as heavyweights of the European and indeed the world game, Greece will still have to operate under the weight of expectation and secure a podium finish in Poland.

These are fascinating times for the Greek national team. Rated by the bookmakers as tournament front-runners and the side most likely to challenge Spain in the EuroBasket gold rush, some hard nosed basketball fans will feel this is a fanciful notion.

While it seems that the bookmakers odds haven't taken into account the withdrawl of some pivotal players such as Papaloukas and Diamintidis in recent weeks, it's hard to ignore.

Both are fundamental cornerstones of the team meaning that new coach Jonas Kazlauskas has significant gaps to have to fill. The decision of Papaloukas to rest has certainly paved the way for a real debate about the future of the Greek backcourt, albeit sooner than most had wished for.

It is expected that Spanoulis might be handed the reigns but he can also play the two, so the sizeable responsibility could be given to the likes of Zsis - maybe a big gamble with medals on the line.

While solving his immediate backcourt problem might seem to be the biggest worry for Kazlauskas, the main issue remains how he can impose his own ethos and philosophies on this makeshift team in such a short space of time.

It took former coach Panagiotis Giannakis several years to gel this side together, achieve the required chemistry and maintain the reputation of Greece as a major power in world basketball.

At least the new play-caller can find some comfort in the fact that while he might have lost some stellar backcourt players, he does at least have one of the strongest frontcourts in the tournament. Bouroussis and the young Koufos have class while even big ‘Sofo' could be back and hungry.

Those big guys could help keep Greece remain in contention for the medals but it will be tough in the latter stages and you do have to wonder if gone are the days when you can grab a medal with only a handful of experienced and top drawer players. Put ‘Theo' and ‘DD' back onto this roster and a medal would be pretty much a no brainer.

Key Man - Yiannis Bouroussis - A quality big man with NBA proficiency who utilises that monster frame to the max. His productivity and influence is unquestionable.

Sleeper - At this level, new Panathinaikos recruit Nick Calathes remains a sleeper (even if it is not reflected in his high media profile and ability). Some key absences mean he will probably make it and any court time will make for fascinating viewing as he tries to transfer those College skills.

X Factor - Vassillis Spanoulis is, at times, an extraordinary player. However, can the Euroleague Final Four MVP take his opportunity and add to his undisputable talent with the kind of leadership his country desperately needs from him?

Weak Points - A backcourt without the leadership and vision of Papaloukas and the defence of Diamantidis for such a long time could spell trouble for Greece, especially down the tournament stretch. Their absence has also exposed a rare lack of depth on the roster while chemistry also raises a question mark.

Strong Points - The front-court can be dominant. While there is not exactly a stunning array of athleticism and variation, the sheer size and weight of muscle, strength, power and experience means most opponents will simply struggle to match up. Despite key absences, they also have more quality on the roster than most.

Wish You Were Here - Theo Papaloukas, Dimitris Diamintidis, Kostas Tsartsaris

What fans should pack in their suitcase - An umbrella for when it is raining threes when those opponents who can't match up inside try to shoot down Greece from the perimeter

Movies and Movie Titles for Greece - The ‘Usual Suspects' would be an apt title since irrespective of the build-up, the roster and situation, they are a nation always spoken about as potential winners. Taking into account expectation, Titanic also springs to mind and you wonder which rival could end up being the iceberg to sink Hreece and leave everyone shocked - surely not Israel or FYR of Macedonia?

Key To Success
            - Whether Coach Kazlauskas can find the chemistry he needs and who he hands the baton of back-court responsibility to

Tournament Prediction - 1-4

In just five words - Key absences but same expectations

Israel

If there is one team who will count their EuroBasket blessings it has to be Israel who suffered a roller-coaster and at times, traumatic qualification process. At one point they looked as if they had blown it with a shocking three game losing streak but they squeezed through and ironically, despite this drama, the feeling is now one of a quiet confidence that they could yet surprise a few people.

Coach Sherf has a core group of players in the likes of Yotam Halperin, Tal Burstein, Yaniv Green and Lior Eliyahu - all proven at the top European level and as with everything concerned with Israeli basketball, all very muich influenced in one way or another by the institution that is the world famous Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Equally as important, these players can ensure Israel remain competitive not only in this tournament but also mark an intriguing and possibly exciting new era for this team. The recent World University Games highlighted the fact that Israel certainly have some good young players coming through and the players on the bench in Poland will confirm this and show that in years to come, Israel could have some real depth to call upon.

Most Israeli fans have been excited for most of the year by the prospect of a really thrilling double act for the National team in Casspi and Eliyahu. This vibrant duo working in tandem to help transform Israel into a running, gunning, dunking and high-tempo team.

However it now looks increasingly likely that this wish won't be realised. The excited celebrations of the hugely talented Casspi being drafted by Sacramento suddenly quelled with the realisation that while he might be about to become the first Israeli to play in the NBA, he is also likely to miss Eurobasket 2009.

Whether that proves to be a devastating blow or merely a disappointment very much remains to be seen. Casspi is certainly an important and very talented player but being drafted doesn't mean he is a perfect player and that his absence blows Israel out of the water.

Those running a more critical eye over Israel could easily point out that they are underdogs for a reason and that the bookmakers are rarely wrong. A more brutal assessment of their talents could list the overlooked yet critical departure of Meir Tapiro, some mediocre backcourt offence outside of Halperin and a critical lack of depth in the five spot.

With that in mind, it is difficult to truly pinpoint the realistic ambitions of Israel. The likelihood is that they can overcome FYR of Macedonia but will find it tough going, especially inside against Greece and Croatia. Simply emerging from Group A and embarking on a new era (even without Casspi) is what Eurobasket 2009 will be about for this national team.

Key Man - Yotam Halperin is a class act and while there is debate whether he is the man to run the point at this level, he is a devastating shooter and the main offensive weapon for Israel. With Tapiro retiring he also needs to show even more leadership on court.

Sleeper - Elishay Kadir is an exciting 21 year old who if he makes the cut, could really make an impression. Israel might need someone who can do a little of everything off the bench including being aggressive and penetrating. This small forward / forward fits the bill perfectly. Averaged almost 15 points in the World University Games and definitely one to watch out for in future years

X Factor - Lior Eliyahu. The tremendously gifted and exciting NBA draftee looks to have buried the hatchet with Coach Sherf after the shenanigans at Maccabi last year and both need to put their new relationship into action. After a move to the ACB in Spain and having seen Casspi picked up by Sacamento and edging towards history, you would hope this gives Eliyahu an extra edge to really raise his game in Poland. With him at his athletic best and with improved defence, Israel would have a much better opportunity of progressing

Weak Points - The loss of the hugely influential captain Tapiro is a significant blow as he knew how to get it done and how to run the team on the floor. Yaniv Green works his backside off in the paint and is defensively very good but if he goes down injured or fouls out then a lack of depth in the five spot could be cruelly exposed. Indeed a simple lack of bulk and size means wins against two of their group rivals looks almost impossible.

Strong Points - Israel have very little to lose. They almost blew qualification, they won't be expected to do too much but if Coach Sherf can ensure some chemistry, they have a group of players with confidence for the next few tournaments and are on a more exciting road. They have resilience and maybe more quality in some key areas than most people realise.

Wish You Were Here - Meir Tapiro, Omri Casspi (if, as expected, he chooses his NBA career first)

What fans should pack in their suitcase - A ‘Thank You' card for Great Britain player Nate Reinking whose needless and mind boggling foul with one second left of the very first qualification group game last summer gift-wrapped Israel an unlikely overtime win and one they desperately needed to get to Poland.

Movies and Movie Titles for Israel - The classic ‘Brief Encounter' could summarise their tournament if they don't beat FYR of Macedonia.

Key To Success - Simply beating FYR of Macedonia. This is a must win game to begin a journey which could lead to a bright future. Defeat would be a mini disaster. ISrael have to compete inside on defence and keep bigger opponents off the glass.

Tournament Prediction - 9-12

In just five words - time for the new generation
            Artificial Nature

Comment

Israel

I think Israel could surprise alot of people at the Eurobasket 2009. They have a young core and Halperin and Eliyahu could really make a name for themselves here. Look for them to advance to at least the next round.
              -Slam

Euroleague Adventures

Twitter: Euro_Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by Slam View Post
                I think Israel could surprise alot of people at the Eurobasket 2009. They have a young core and Halperin and Eliyahu could really make a name for themselves here. Look for them to advance to at least the next round.
                well the should do that because individualy they are stronger then macedonia
                Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Comment

Nilsen: Every Tournament Has One

Skipping Group B until the last spot in Gdansk is filled, we now focus on action in the Polish capital and the so-called 'Group of Death'. It certainly always seems trendy for journalists to stamp this cliche on any tournament and in the case of Eurobasket 2009, it is Group C that has this particular badge of honour.

However with one team (Spain) strong favourites and with another (Great Britain) having failed to get their NBA stars to Poland, the relevance of this Group Of Death moniker is rapidly dwindling.

In part one of our preview, we take a look at the tournament favourites Spain and the youngest team in the tournament Serbia.

Spain

Going for Eurobasket gold wont quite become an obsession for this nation although they are still haunted by having lost in agonising fashion during 2007 thanks to J.R. Holden.

Pre-tournament favourites, they are very much a team on a mission with few expecting them to fail in their quest to finish top of the 2009 pile.

They say there is little worse than a woman scorned, but perhaps Spain scorned could be even worse. They are a team stacked with world class talent, looking for atonement and having learned a tough lesson in being bitten by the EuroBasket underdog. I am not so sure you cant see Spain making the same mistake again and missing out again..

The added bonus for this group of Spanish players is that in the wake of the Olympic final, they know the mentality of being an underdog themselves. This time the shoe will be back on the other foot once again and they will be the ones looking to utilise their superior talent and experience to edge out any challengers.

Much of the build-up has centered around the Pau Gasol will he wont he saga and the injury to Jose Calderon. With Gasol choosing to commit, this has cemented their status as EuroBasket champions elect.

As with Team USA in Beijing, you sense their destiny will be very much in their own hands from the moment they step out onto the floor in Warsaw and if they get it right, it wont, matter too much what other teams do.

You can spend significantly more time trying to think of reasons and scenarios as to why Spain wouldnt win gold than thinking about alternative winners of Eurobasket 2009.

There is of course a worthy note of caution in everything I have written so far. I know this. History has taught us that being tournament favourites does not guarantee success and anything can happen something Spain know only too well of course.

Nevertheless, while there are numerous contenders, it is seriously difficult not to come to the conclusion that this is the team the rest will have to beat to land gold.

Key Man: The irrepressible Pau Gasol. He has already made history for Spanish basketball this year with the Lakers and now he aims to etch another line in the history books with a EuroBasket winners medal. Everything has been focused on the center in the build-up and that wont change when Spain tip-off. Potentially unstoppable if he still has the energy after such a draining NBA campaign and the biggest star of the tournament bar none.

Sleeper: It is pretty much impossible to fulfil such a category for the reigning World Champions but I guess Victor Claver is as close as you can get and even he has just been drafted! Still, after a serious injury, he could use Poland to show why he was chosen by Portland and to get his International career back on track.

X Factor: Juan Carlos Navarro because if La Bomba is on fire from outside and maximises his outrageous shooting ability throughout the tournament then it will definitely be an uphill struggle for other contenders. Chasing the elusive Navarro around the court is a thankless task for opposing defences and with some good ball movement and savvy screen makers on the floor, he could be the man to deliver the knockout blows and particularly in the likely medal games.

Weak Points: Very few but even Coach Scariolo has openly admitted that Spain hardly have the same embarrassment of riches and depth in the 3 spot as they have in their frontcourt. In the point guard position they have lost Jose Calderon and that could be a major omission in tournament crunch time when the colour of the medal is hanging in the balance. Injury to experienced Rodriguez maybe a minor blow as is the notion that maybe a new coach weakens them slightly from a continuity standpoint.

Strong Points: A multitude of match winners with potential tournament MVPs in the likes of Navarro and Fernandez. An accepted togetherness and chemistry, not always easy in a team packed with talented superstars. They have an all star front-court with Pau and Marc Gasol and the ACB Player of the year, Felipe Reyes. They are also favourites but rather than that piling on the pressure, they have a real hunger and determination to make up for failing in 2007 and added to world class talent that could be an unstoppable recipe for success.

Wish You Were Here: Jose Calderon, Carlos Jiminez, Berni Rodriguez

What fans should pack in their suitcase: A bottle of the finest champagne in anticipation of those gold medal celebrations

Movies and Movie Titles for Spain: Far too many to mention. The Untouchables, The Incredibles, Out of Sight, The Gold Rush, Atonement (for EuroBasket 2007) but my favourites have to be dedicated to Ricky Rubio. What about Golden Child or anything by Harry Potter perhaps. Am I the only person that could see young Ricky with a pair of those famous small round glasses on his face and playing the Spanish version of Potter?

Key To Success: Maintaining focus and avoiding injuries in the backcourt. They dont have Calderon while Cabezas has had a real run of injuries in the past year. His durability will be tested to the limit and if he did succumb again down the stretch then Lopez and Rubio might not have enough in their collective locker to help land gold.

Tournament Prediction: 1-4

In just five words: Eurobasket favourites for good reason

Serbia

In spite of a lengthy list of NBA absentees, a slot in the Group of Death, the loss of their captain and also Euroleague star Igor Rakocevic opting out, Serbia still have enough in their locker to survive a tough first three days in Warsaw.

With a core of European high fliers and an experienced coach driving them, they are slowly but surely heading in the right direction again and progressing beyond the Group stages would definitely signal success.

Still haunted by their dismal performance on home soil in 2005 and a similarly disappointing display in EuroBasket 2007 costing them any chance of an Olympic berth, Serbia are slowly emerging from their crisis and showing green shoots of recovery.

The masterplan may have the 2012 Olympic Games in London as its main destination point in the proposed four year reign of Coach Dusan Ivkovic, but nevertheless, Eurobasket 2009 is an important major landmark for this young team.

There was hope that in comparison to the failure in 2007, there might be a better mix of youth and experience in place this time with Ivkovic having made a big effort to draft in some much needed maturity with the likes of Rakocevic and Avdalovic. However neither have made it to leave the average age of Serbia, (at least in the shot term) worryingly low yet again.

On the other hand, with players like Krstic, Velickovic (the man who will help spearhead the Real Madrid revolution under Ettore Messina) and guards such as Tepic and Tripkovic both full of confidence after big summer moves, Serbia definitely have big weapons capable of winning big games.

One thing is for sure. When you read the list of players going to Poland combined with those who arent, you are left with your jaw hanging on the floor in amazement at the sheer depth continually emerging from this astonishing conveyor belt of basketball talent.

A gold medal in the Under 18 European Championships further evidence this conveyor belt shows no sign of breaking down.

Sadly for a great basketball nation like Serbia, you are also left with the worrying thought of what they could be missing out on by not having their full quota of players in Poland maybe a medal.

Key Man: Nenad Krstic is a big player for Serbia in more ways than one. His wealth of NBA experience should help Serbia emerge from this tough group as there are some big centers with real quality that need to be guarded.

Sleeper: At 2.09 in height, Nemanja Bjelica is a wing player and shooter who if selected, could be a surprise package. Was given huge responsibility by Svetislav Pesic in what has been a breakthrough season at Red Star Belgrade. Really lit it up in EuroCup, played a big role in the Serbian play-offs and averaged 7 points per game in the World University Games. Could fill the troubled 2/3 spot off the bench and be an impact.

X Factor: Novica Velickovic has been snapped up by Messina in Madrid and this is a young player who can do it all while leading this team through some difficult waters in this group. If he uses all of his smarts and versatility on the floor to good effect he can be the difference. Just makes any team better.

Weak Points: Quite simply that this tournament could mean a repeat of 2007 when without big experience and some significant absences, the team didnt have what it takes to progress at this level. Look a little short of quality and experience in the small forward slot.

Strong Points: This team of young players are now entering their second EuroBasket together and know each other well, many from club level. That familiarity should mean good chemistry. They also have plenty of talent pretty much all over the court despite absences. They look strong in the frontcourt in particular.

Wish You Were Here: The longest list anywhere reads: Darko Milicic, Igor Rakocevic, Pedja Stojakovic, Marko Jaric, Milan Gurovic, Vule Avdalovic, Milos Vujanic, Vladimir Radmanovic, Aleksandar Pavlovic

What fans should pack in their suitcase: The telephone number of a travel agent / details of some good Turkish hotels since a good performance and bit of luck at this tournament could mean Serbia sneaking a place at next years FIBA World Championships.

Movies and Movie Titles for Serbia: How about The Lost Boys to represent the staggering array of talent who wont be representing their country? Their youthful feel could be highlighted by the movie No Country For Old Men.

Key To Success: The key for this young team will be whether players can suppress the folly and exuberance of youth and find some composure and maturity on the court. That means keeping their cool under pressure and making good decisions not always an easy task when placed on young shoulders, even if many players are Euroleague veterans while still in their early twenties.

Tournament Prediction: 5-8

In just five words: Building for a golden future
                  Artificial Nature

Comment

Nilsen: Group Of Death No More?

For the action in Warsaw to truly live up to its ‘Group of Death' status, it means that Great Britain would have to be at full NBA strength and Slovenia would have to finally convert eternal promise into tangible results and more specifically, a medal.

We already know the first scenario definitely won't happen, while for Slovenia, so often teased by opposing fans as being ‘tournament chokers', could this finally be the year when this talented nation finally bury the memory of previous failures and leave Poland with bronze, silver or maybe even gold?

Slovenia

On paper Slovenia look like the only team that have the talent to truly match up with tournament favourites Spain. Interestingly it certainly won't be long before that theory will be put to the test with both teams being drawn in the same group.

There has been talk of a ‘Slovenian Dream Team' over the last 12 months although that is of course within a Slovenian context, rather than the same kind of lofty tag given to our friends who play on the other side of the Atlantic.

Unfortunately it looks as if the ‘Dream Team' won't happen as there will be a couple of key absences with Nesterovic and Becirovic both missing out. Despite this and rather ominously for the other teams in Group C, and for those rivals with eyes fixed on medals, Slovenia will still have one the most talented teams in this competition.

However once again this is about Slovenia delivering and not choking. Slovenian fans are still haunted by their last outing in Eurobasket when they pressed the self-destruct button and snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory against Greece in the quarter-finals.

Stellar names of world basketball adorn the Slovenian roster. From NBA to Euroleague they have potential game winners all over the court. Sasha Vujajic has just won the NBA play-offs with LA Lakers although he is struggling with injury and there are worrying rumours he could possibly miss out while Beno Udrih will step out onto the floor to help run the show. Defensive specialist Goran Dragic can really lock down opponents and that will be pivotal if Slovenia make it to the last eight again.

Coach Zdovc can also call on those European based talents and not least highly decorated CSKA Moscow stars Matjaz Smodis and Erazem Lorbek.. Both will be major threats and when you throw former NBA man Bostjan Nachbar into the mix you are already six players into the roster underlining the depth.

There is a real sense of purpose about Slovenia this year and that could mean they are ready to show the rest of Europe that their time has arrived.

Key Man: Matjaz Smodis seems to have been around for ever and yet he is not even thirty yet. After many injury problems he can still be the most influential player in Poland. His versatility on offence including his ability to step out of the paint to the wing spot and still make plays is hugely important. His leadership and experience on and off the court will be priceless.

Sleeper: Jaka Klobucar who turns 22 next week is not necessarily a name commonly known around Europe yet Zdovc could throw a lot of trust in the guard off the bench because of his defensive qualities and ability to shoot the ball. Has had a mediocre year in Euroleague with Olimpia Ljubljana numbers-wise but could be ready to take a big stride forward.

X Factor: In a team predominantly full of offensive minded players but coached by a man whose principles are based around defence you get the sense that Goran Dragic will be pivotal to the success (or otherwise) of Slovenia. If he can use his defensive prowess to really set the tone when he is on court and lock down any opposing danger men then you feel that his offensive weaknesses won't matter in a team packed with scorers. The performance of Dragic is critical.

Weak Points: A new coach always has little time with his players to establish his philosophy and Zdovc will be no different. The weak points are very much around this side of the game, things such as chemistry, defence and the mentality of the players. Can they excel as a team and who will take the clutch shots? They also lack some continuity that teams like Croatia, (maybe at a similar level) also possess.

Strong Points: Personnel. It is harder to break down Slovenia than almost any other team as they have big weapons all over the court and also on the bench. Their strong point is definitely talent and on this alone, they stand up as genuine gold medal contenders. The list of NBA and European quality is endless and that means they can genuinely go into any game truly believing and capable of winning. The backcourt and wings look particularly good. They are also a team packed with finishers and guys happy to take big shots.

Wish You Were Here: Rasho Nesterovic, Sani Becirovic,

What fans should pack in their suitcase: Instructions on the ‘Heimlich Manoeuvre', a technique for dealing with choking - something that could prove useful if they choke down the tournament stretch.

Movies and Movie Titles for Slovenia: For those rival fans who revel in the failure of Slovenia, the animated movie Chicken Run might apply. However for Slovenian fans, there is only one movie that will sum up their expectations, classic film noir starring Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster titled ‘The Sweet Smell Of Success'.

Key To Success: Quite simply the level of team defence since scoring should never be a problem. The key is whether a defensive driven coach like Zdovc can gel the players together on defence. If he does then a podium finish and even the final is a real possibility.

Tournament Prediction: 5-8 (...but probably should be 1-4)

In just five words: Time to realise eternal promise

Great Britain

Great Britain are entering virgin territory after their spectacular rise to prominence from Division B under the watchful eye of the wily Chris Finch. Once touted as dark horses with their expected NBA talent, the crushing double whammy of the losing the talismanic Luol Deng to injury and Ben Gordon failing to commit means a fundamental shift in expectation.

From the confidence they could sneak out of the toughest group, they will now be left merely treading water and hoping to stay competitive in their three group games.

To say that Great Britain have come a long way in a short space of time is definitely a contender for understatement of the year. Less than three years ago, British basketball was perennially in turmoil, lacking in direction and heading nowhere fast.

Major international tournaments were a pipe dream with Great Britain pitched into Division B and with a mammoth journey ahead of them - everyone thought I would be a marathon and not a sprint. Staggeringly they would subsequently sprint the entire distance, gaining promotion from the wilderness of Division B to immediate qualification for a first ever EuroBasket tournament.

Proving that truth is often stranger than fiction, Great Britain have not only booked their place at the first attempt but to their immense credit, have importantly got their house in order off the court too which is significant in a country where the popularity of the game is still growing.

The biggest killer in this ‘Group Of Death' is the loss of Deng. With their star man healthy, they could definitely compete, maybe sneak past the group stages. Without him it will obviously be tough and three games in three days will certainly expose the influence of their star man and their lack of depth although at last experienced Euroleague duo Robert Archibald and Andy Betts are back.

In the backcourt meanwhile, Reinking is a veteran who can turn a game with his shooting but in truth, Great Britain are maybe short of a top class point guard.

With Finch and these committed players, anything is possible. They can now only really dream of squeezing their way out of the group. Whatever happens, it is no exaggeration to describe the emergence of this national team as a basketball fairytale and who really knows at this stage what the next riveting chapter both now and beyond will reveal.

Key Man: Nate Reinking is a veteran player who is critical. He has terrific shooting percentages all over the floor at this level and has the closest relationship with Coach Finch who is also his club coach. If the guard can find form and get some regular open looks, the impact of losing Ben Gordon could be reduced and even nullified.

Sleeper: At this major tournament level, pretty much all of the Great Britain team are EuroBasket sleepers!

X Factor: Pops Mensah-Bonsu is a prodigious athletic talent who will love the big stage and his mood when the going gets tough will determine the mood of the team. If he keeps his head in the game and shows leadership and maturity to go with his explosive energy, shot blocking and finishing, Great Britain could find themselves with a fighting chance.

Weak Points: As Eurobasket rookies, no players have experience o playing in a tournament at National team level while the psychological blow of losing the heartbeat of the team in Deng will weigh heavy. There is a serious lack of depth in the backcourt which is proficient but not prolific and it is very undersized. They look better in the paint but lack any big bodies who can step outside and consistently make shots.

Strong Points: Coach Finch does have options in the five spot with three top level and very solid European players in Robert Archibald, Joel Freeland and Andy Betts. Mensah-Bonsu can be the most explosive player in the tournament while Great Britain are used to doing things the hard way having come on a long journey. A few more kilometres in difficult circumstances won't faze them and they will show the same spirit that got them to their first ever EuroBasket.

Wish You Were Here: Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Kelenna Azubuike

What fans should pack in their suitcase: Apart from a healthy Luol Deng, some tissues and an alarm clock. Make no mistake, there will be tears in the eyes when Great Britain step out onto a EuroBasket court for the first time. An alarm clock going off in the Arena meanwhile will prove for those who were in Spain two years ago and would never have believed this could happen that it is not a dream but very much reality.

Movies and Movie Titles for Great Britain: With or without Luol Deng, the movie ‘Lone Star' might just sum up things. For most Great Britain fans, win or lose, just being in Poland translates into ‘It's a Wonderful Life', even if the movie ‘Blowout' might end up with a familiar feel.

Key To Success: Keeping the faith as a team. There is little doubt that logic dictates they could suffer some big losses without their NBA stars on court but Coach Finch is a clam and pragmatic coach. If they play tenacious defence they can find be competitive and take some lessons home or next time.

Tournament Prediction: 13+

In just five words: Tough Eurobasket initiation without Deng
                    Artificial Nature

Comment

It appears that Nowitzky will miss EB. Cuban restricts him from playing this year.

Comment

all posts on the use of Macedonian name moved to UN sub-forum http://forums.interbasket.net/f10/gr...e-2099/p6.html

Comment

Very good article, I like it very much. Maybe some of my countryman should read it and stop fooling themselves about some sudden success for our team. We need to be real, this team is in it's beginning.

Comment

Well what do you know, a thread designed specifically for random articles. Right up my alley. Here's my first installment about the scrappy Finnish team's triumph over big, bad France. Happy reading.

By: Freaknick (Quotes courtesy of FIBA's Eurobasket Game Report...thanks guys) For those who would have you believe there's no such thing as a moral victory,
                            Euroleague Adventures

The Dotted Line Up: Ranking all the Euroleague Free Agents

Subscribe to the podcast for free on iTunes and follow ELA on Twitter: Euro_Adventures

Comment

Nilsen: Turkey, Poland Hope To Impress

There are two teams with more reason than most to want to shine when EuroBasket 2009 gets underway next month and ironically they find themselves both pitched in the same group.

As we continue the countdown to tournament tip-off, we move to Wroclaw and Group D. In part one, we feature this years EuroBasket home country Poland and also Turkey, the hosts of the next major tournament, namely the 2010 World Championships as both nations look to deliver against the expectation and pressure that hosting such events inevitably brings.

Poland

Poland is a nation that has largely remained off the radar of most European fans. Even qualification for EuroBasket 2007 did little to raise their profile or standing. It is difficult to pinpoint why this is, but that has become irrelevant after being thrown into the middle of the ring as hosts of Eurobasket 2009.

As is the case with any host nation, much will come down to whether Poland thrive on this pressure or crack under the strain. The expectation is not just about the team on the floor but also maximising this opportunity to get basketball back near the top of the Polish sporting agenda.

The first mission is of course simply to win a game - something that they couldn't achieve in Spain. The second objective is to emerge from the group stages and into the second round. Anything after this would have to be viewed as a bonus and indeed probably a dream.

When they step onto the floor in Wroclaw, they will face Lithuania, Turkey and pivotally Bulgaria - the team they simply have to beat. Turkey could also be within their sights although perhaps Lithuania (even without several key players) could prove a step too far.

The scheduling seems to have been kind to Poland. Or has it? They can get some real momentum with a win first time out against Bulgaria but if they get ‘opening night nerves' and freeze, they could miss the boat completely which would be an unmitigated disaster.

Critically, it looks as if the quality of the Polish roster has really been enhanced since 2007 and that means that they could have the players to at least fulfil the first two parts of their mission.

On Spanish soli it was Andrzej Pluta, Filip Dylewicz and veteran Adam Wojcik leading the way. This time there is a new play-caller at the helm in Muli Katzurin and he has put together a roster with more talent and significantly more familiar faces.

None more so than Orlando Magic back up big man Marcin Gortat and new Maccabi signing Maciej Lampe who played in a talented Khimki team last year. Both of these players will give Poland a terrific dynamism in and around the basket and perhaps add immeasurable strength to a team that was far too soft-centered in 2007.

Having also added passport player David Logan into the mix, the Poland team now have a backcourt player capable of going off for 20 points on any given night and with that in mind - anything is possible.

Key Man: Incredibly Adam Wojcik will turn 40 next year and has pretty much seen it all. In over 20 years as a pro, Wojcik has turned himself into a Polish basketball legend with a glittering array of titles and personal accolades. This tournament will be his swansong and he is a pivotal influence both on and off the court. The veteran forward can pass his wisdom to the younger guys and if he does, and can also show he still can do it on the court himself, he could just end his International career on a real high.

Sleeper: At this level Krzysztof Szubarga remains a sleeper but his passing skills and particularly his defensive quality could surprise a few people when he is asked to lock down opponents.

X Factor: David Logan might be from Chicago but he is also the Polish league MVP and the man that can fire his adopted country to Eurobasket prominence - well, at least the second round. If he can deliver, Poland have enough firepower to progress. If Logan doesn't shoot the ball well and meet the perhaps unfair expectation, mushrooming daily then Poland could be in trouble.

Weak Points: The back-court is far from impressive albeit capable. Apart from the prolific Logan, it is hard to see where the real quality required for this top European level is going to come from. Handling the expectation and pressure of being the home country could also prove to be a weak point.

Strong Points: In the paint Poland have some muscle, hustle and enough to contend with what they will face in their group. Gortat, the first Polish player to reach an NBA Finals will operate with Maciej Lampe who could be a star in Euroleague next season with Maccabi. Both have power and scoring ability while Wojcik has the experience to make good decisions and is reliable.

Wish You Were Here: Relatively injury free

What fans should pack in their suitcase: The locals don't need a suitcase - do they?

Movies and Movie Titles for Poland: Everybody will be hoping for a ‘Local Hero' but perhaps just for Wojcik, the classic ‘Last Waltz'.

Key To Success: It has to be beating Bulgaria and getting off to a great start and finding momentum but specifically, the guys from 2007 fitting in and around the likes of Lampe, Gortat and Logan effectively. They are every bit as important if not more so. Perhaps the crucial aspect will be how they handle the ball and particularly under pressure. Can they be competent enough to find the big men in the paint and shooters like Logan?

Tournament Prediction: 9-12

In just five words: EuroBasket needs Poland to excel

Turkey

It has been eight long years since Turkey put in the kind of performance at a EuroBasket event that their talent demands. Their podium finish in 2001 has been followed by a string of disappointing finishes with only a creditable sixth place in the 2006 World Championship punctuating their barren run.

The pressure to perform is always high but just 12 months before hosting next years FIBA World Championships, Turkey find themselves firmly under the spotlight and nobody more so than Coach Bogdan Tanjevic who has been handed the reins of preparing this team, primarily, for 2010.

Turkey were in blistering form during qualification with an unbeaten 6-0 campaign but EuroBasket 2009 will provide a step up in class and Turkey have to respond. To bridge the gap in that step up in quality, they have a real jewel in the crown to add to those players that did so well during qualification last summer.

NBA star Hedo Turkoglu will lead the team off the back of his stellar performance in the play-offs and will offer Turkey a big bonus on the floor. His leadership and quality could mean the difference between the quarter finals and a shot at a medal or another mediocre finish.

The core of the team is one with an extensive collective experience in European club competition. Even the younger players such as Fenerbahce forward Oguz Savas have had a good grounding in Euroleague. However the real key is that Turkey have some players that know how to get it done at the highest level. Ersan Ilyasova could be one of the stars of the tournament while Kerem Tunceri has the vision and basketball brain to effectively direct operations in the backcourt.

The downside of Turkey is quite simple. You just never know what to expect. As I have stated previously, you had might as well flip a coin rather than try to correctly predict their potential performance in Poland.

They are always one step away from success but often closer to self destruction and mediocrity. Certainly the very public spat between Tanjevic and NBA man Mehmet Okur summarises the kind of distraction that could prove to be their downfall. Even this weekend, the influential Kerem Gonlum has been withdrawn from the squad - a massive blow.

Having said that, you wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly came up with the kind of performance they showed in 2006 in Japan either. I guess that guessing is all we can realistically do with this National team.

Key Man: Hedo Turkoglu provides the leadership, direction and steady hand that this National team has been crying out for. He also brings the attitude with him that whether he has the ball in his hands or not, he will still work hard. He does not demand to be the star (even if he is) and is happy to drive the team forward when needed but also allow others to take the glory and find just as much pleasure. Has had such a great year that the added bonus of him being a potential tournament MVP on talent alone possibly catapults Turkey into the quarter-finals.

Sleeper: Not really - maybe Savaz at best!

X Factor: Ersan Ilyasova has had a super year with Barcelona and showed during qualification his value to the team as the stand-out player during the unbeaten 6-0 run. Has a nice touch both inside and out, can drain some big triples, get Turkey out and running effectively in transition and that means success with Ilyasova. However he has not always shined in the biggest games of all for Barca and the ‘X Factor' element is because of this. If he stamps his authority on games and gets fired up, Turkey are seriously in business.

Weak Points: Totally unpredictable, Turkey is not known for a reliable, balanced approach always remaining volatile and liable to implode mentally. They also look pretty short of high quality shooters and that could mean having to play against a little bit of zone which places more emphasis on the likes of Ilyasova and Turkoglu on the wings and even more pressure isn't what they exactly need. Shooters like Erdogan have gone and players who had been viewed as natural replacements such as Akyol have failed to shine leaving them short on the perimeter. They also have to deal with expectation with 2010 around the corner and such an impressive qualifying campaign.

Strong Points: The frontcourt and wing spots although the loss of Gonlum who could have averaged a near double-double is a bitter blow. They have a lot of versatile players who know each others game inside out due to the fact that they play together or against each with the big clubs domestically. Players like young Savas don't have the athleticism of some opponents but their efficiency and output is outstanding. Ilyasova and Turkoglu meanwhile provide a huge dual threat that will take some serious guarding.

Wish You Were Here: Mehmet Okur, Kerem Gonlum, Cevher Ozer

What fans should pack in their suitcase:
                              A coin of course to flip it and see whether their team will be glorious or disastrous.

Movies and Movie Titles for Turkey: I am tempted to say ‘One Flew OverThe Cuckoos Nest' to represent the multiple personalities of the Turkey team that we have seen over the years but maybe ‘X-Men' is the best title. They certainly have an ‘X Factor' as a team.

Key To Success: Mentality and specifically, the consistency and chemistry both on and off the court. If Turkey can quietly go about their business this time with no bust-ups but show the kind of togetherness that has not always been present they can really excel. They undoubtedly have the talent and if they apply themselves, then they can definitely go far. One final key is whether now that Gonlum is out, Okur and Tanjevic could bury the hatchet at the last minute?

Tournament Prediction: 4-8

In just five words: Talented but can be fragile
                              Artificial Nature

Comment

Hi Guys

Thanks for the support. Not easy to do, or at least not as easy as a basic interview or game report

Glad some of you are enjoying the previews. If this is genuinely the case, as a freelancer, any feedback to

media@
                                fibaeurope.com

gladly appreciated

I think I got bad reviews in GB because of my assessment of my own nation - but you have to be honest

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information