Toronto Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobcats Send Boris Diaw to Toronto

Just when you thought the Hedo Turkoglu-to-Phoenix trade couldn't get any more bizarre, the Raptors go and reportedly flip the trade exception gained in the aforementioned Suns swap to Charlotte for one Mr. Boris Diaw, the French enigma who played with fellow new Raptor Leandro Barbosa under Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo in Arizona a few seasons ago. Diaw, a power forward (technically speaking), leaves a Charlotte legacy short on time but rather heavy on solid play, something which seemed out of reach when the Frenchman was first traded to the Bobcats nearly two years ago.

The Bobcats take back virtually nothing (save for fringe NBA player Dwayne Jones) in the deal, but open up a starting spot for newly re-signed power forward Tyrus Thomas. By acquiring Diaw instead of sitting on the cap space opened in The Coup That Is Trading Hedo Turkoglu, the Raptors are showing they'll push to make the playoffs despite losing Chris Bosh. Replacing Bosh with Diaw isn't the greatest stride I've ever seen, but as Bosh was bound to leave, it'll do. Really, anything Colangelo pulls off the rest of this summer can be lauded; the positive vibe from jettisoning Hedo is that contagious.

Diaw may actually end up filling a different position than Bosh did; given Toronto's depth up front, with re-signed Amir Johnson and draft pick Ed Davis, the Frenchman could be asked to slot into Hedo's old position at small forward. Diaw is famously versatile, with such court vision and a willingness to pass he came into the NBA as a back-up point guard for the Hawks. In Phoenix, as Amar'e Stoudemire healed after microfracture surgery, Diaw filled in as a center. He seems to have settled at the power forward spot -- he shared the court with true small forward Gerald Wallace and a litany of centers in Charlotte -- but Toronto coach Jay Triano may need to lean on Diaw's versatility for the foreseeable future.

Diaw makes $9 million this season, and has a player option for the same amount in 2011-12. After this set of trades, Toronto's 2010-11 payroll stands at roughly $60 million.
    ""failure is not the end but just the beginning of a victorious journey..just keep on dreaming and we will be back on the olympics''''

Comment

I think the Raptors should go young and run and gun style. Good for their salary cap and brings excitement to the game for their marketability. AND hope and pray gives success to their team as well. East is getting more competitive these days.
      Keep The Faith | Where to Buy a Watch

Comment

diaw and chandler in exchange of evans and calderon

""failure is not the end but just the beginning of a victorious journey..just keep on dreaming and we will be back on the olympics''''

Comment

Originally posted by michren View Post
          They have Hedo now but I doubt if they can make it.
          Maybe they can't. Just in my opinion.
          Last edited by rikhardur; 07-13-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I wonder how Boris Diaw will fit into the Raptor's system.
            Sacramento Kings
            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

Originally posted by CKR13 View Post
              I wonder how Boris Diaw will fit into the Raptor's system.
              Yeah, me too. Diaw is a great player. Or at least he was in Phoenix. I think he fell down in Charlotte a bit, even though he was statistically very good. Diaw can play every position on the court, but I worry that he'll end up like Hedo.
              "I really like the attitudes of eagles. They never give up. When they grab a fish or something else, they never let it go. It doesn't matter. In a book, they write they find a skeleton of [an] eagle and there is no fish. It means that the fish beat him and killed him, but he didn't let go." -- Donatas Motiejunas

Comment

Originally posted by mvblair View Post
                Yeah, me too. Diaw is a great player. Or at least he was in Phoenix. I think he fell down in Charlotte a bit, even though he was statistically very good. Diaw can play every position on the court, but I worry that he'll end up like Hedo.
                In my opinion basing on Diaw's performance with his past teams; He was great playing alongside Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa where he had games that he netted a triple double and the Suns minus Stoudemire (Microfracture injury) did not skip a beat and went on to have the best record on the west.

Diaw's stints with Atlanta and Charlotte had him constantly falling out of the rotation or practically, Woodson nor Brown never knew how to utilize him. With Toronto, Diaw's minutes could go on a roller-coaster ride as he has to share imperative playing time with Bargnani, Kleiza, Ed Davis, Joey Dorsey and Alabi.

Still, his two man game with Barbosa would add another go-to play for the Raptors to consider and utilizing.
                Sacramento Kings

Comment

The Toronto Raptors Summer League Squad went undefeated. Colangelo said the focus of the team next season is to have tall shooters and athletic guards.
                  Sacramento Kings

Comment

barnes' toronto deal falls apart

Matt Barnes announced he was signing with the Raptors only to have the deal unravel.

Comment

Linas Kleiza was signed to a multi-year contract by the Toronto Raptors.
                      Sacramento Kings

Comment

Linas Kleiza was signed to a multi-year contract by the Toronto Raptors.

Linas Kleiza (pronounced [ˈlinɐs ˈklæizɐ]; born January 3, 1985) is a Lithuanian professional basketball player. He is also a member of the Lithuanian national team. He can play either forward position. He was recently signed by the Toronto Raptors. The deal is believed to be a $18.8 million front-loaded contract over four years.[1]
                        Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by obama2008 View Post
                          Linas Kleiza (pronounced [ˈlinɐs ˈklæizɐ]; born January 3, 1985) is a Lithuanian professional basketball player. He is also a member of the Lithuanian national team. He can play either forward position. He was recently signed by the Toronto Raptors. The deal is believed to be a $18.8 million front-loaded contract over four years.[1]
                          Interesting, Kleiza gets a 10% raise on his contract-pay every year. In my opinon, he should be getting more though.
                          Sacramento Kings

Comment

Interesting, Kleiza gets a 10% raise on his contract-pay every year. In my opinon, he should be getting more though.
                            i believe you got it confused. A front-loaded contract means the salary is reduced year to year... For example: 18.8 million for for years, and that's 6M on the first, 5 on the second, 4 on the third and 3M on the final year...
                            If there is no basketball in heaven, i am NOT going.

SMALLBALL, bitches..

Comment

Originally posted by durden_tyler View Post
                              i believe you got it confused. A front-loaded contract means the salary is reduced year to year... For example: 18.8 million for for years, and that's 6M on the first, 5 on the second, 4 on the third and 3M on the final year...
                              Thanks for the info and you got that right, I was double checking on it awhile ago. My bad.
                              Last edited by CKR13; 07-28-2010, 03:38 AM.
                              Sacramento Kings

Comment

Thanks for the info and you got that right, I was double checking on it awhile ago. My bad.

I got that info from hoopedia and raptors website.
                                Follow my blogs and tweets. http://dxjayrocksnotes.blogspot.com/ and https://twitter.com/dxjayrock

Road To Rio 2016.

Kwentong Gilas ~ Gilas Serye. LMAO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information