Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serbian U24 University National Team 2009

AlbionGate

Default Serbian U24 University National Team 2009

Aleksandar Kesar will coach Serbian University National Team. Kesar was already head coach of this team two year ago, when Serbia reached final during University Games in Bangkok. Kesar is considered to be one of the most talented coach of his generation. Actually, he is Unics Kazan head coach.
    Two months ago, Dusan Ivkovic said that players from 1985 to 1991 generations will take part to University team try outs.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionGate View Post
    Aleksandar Kesar will coach Serbian University National Team. Kesar was already head coach of this team two year ago, when Serbia reached final during University Games in Bangkok. Kesar is considered to be one of the most talented coach of his generation. Actually, he is Unics Kazan head coach.
    Two months ago, Dusan Ivkovic said that players from 1985 to 1991 generations will take part to University team try outs.
    I,m sorry, but in general he is Ural Great head coach. Aco Petrovic is current UNIKS Kazan head coach. At least so it was yesterday. As for Kesar's work in Ural Great, IMO he showed quite ambiguous impression. His team eventually didn,t reach playoff series. But i can,t say that it was just his fault, because in first part of the season Roman Dvinyaninov worked with them and Ural Great already showed quite mediocre results.
    I hope in next season he,ll show his real potential. Obviously, it depends what a budget will be in Ural Great in next season.

AlbionGate

My mistake, you right Vaslover.

Preliminary list

PG Nemanja Protić (182, 1986, FMP)
    PG/PF Nemanja Bjelica (209, 1988, Crvena zvezda)
    PG Vukašin Aleksić (185, 1985, Partizan)
    SG Mladen Jeremić (196, 1988, FMP)
    SG Ivan Paunić (194, 1987, Ostende)
    SG Petar Despotović (194, 1988, Hemofarm)
    SG Stefan Sinovec (195, 1988, UKR)
    SF Marko Kešelj (205, 1988, Crvena zvezda)
    SF Strahinja Milošević (203, 1985, Partizan)
    SF Marko Simonović (202, 1986, Budućnost)
    F Nikola Dragović (206, 1987, UCLA)
    PF Milan Mačvan (205, 1989, Hemofarm)
    PF Tadija Dragićević (205, 1986, Crvena zvezda)
    PF/C Dejan Borovnjak (208, 1986, Vojvodina)
    C Vladimir Štimac (209, 1987, Crvena zvezda)
    C Miroslav Raduljica (213, 1988, FMP)

I don't understand why Luka Drca (G, 196, 1987, Utah NCAA) isn't on the list. Four players will first senior national team training camp afer the University Games.

AlbionGate

5 players have been added to the preliminary list.

C Milovan Rakovic (208, 1985, Spartak Sankt Petersburg RUS)
    PF Rastko Dramićanin (206, 1986, Borac Čačak)
    SF Nikola Koprivica (198, 1988, Wahington NCAA)
    SF Marko Čakarević (200, 1988, Lions Vršac)
    PG Luka Drča (196, 1987, Utah NCAA)

I'm really happy to see Drca in this list.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbionGate View Post
    5 players have been added to the preliminary list.

C Milovan Rakovic (208, 1985, Spartak Sankt Petersburg RUS)
    PF Rastko Dramićanin (206, 1986, Borac Čačak)
    SF Nikola Koprivica (198, 1988, Wahington NCAA)
    SF Marko Čakarević (200, 1988, Lions Vršac)
    PG Luka Drča (196, 1987, Utah NCAA)

I'm really happy to see Drca in this list.
    I´m glad to see Koprivica, too. Not my favourite player, but after his good performance in last year´s U20 he deserved to be counted on.

Where is Dragan Labovic?

Also, Aleksandrov is recovered isnt he? Is he only participating in workouts?

And by the way, although he is MNT, whatever happened to Mijatovic?
    Srbija - Quadruple Crown 2007

Quote Originally Posted by jwfish6 View Post
    Where is Dragan Labovic?

Labovic missed some play offs game, maybe he´s injured. Don´t konw about Alexandrov; I hope our Serbian friends can answer your question. But I imagine it´s the same old (and sad) story. Too bad what´s happened to him.

When some people wonder why Ricard Rubio is in such a hurry to declare for the draft, Alexandrov´s case comes to my mind and I kind of understand Ricky´s decision. You may the the most promising player at age 16 or 18, but you never know what will happen at 19 or 21.

Mijatovic went to Spain at the end of the season and played just a couple of games there.
    Last edited by pep; 05-23-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Labovic is injured.I think he would have been with A team if he was healthy.
    UZEO SI TROFEJ MACVANE MACVANE MACVANE!!!

AlbionGate

Quote Originally Posted by pep View Post
    I´m glad to see Koprivica, too. Not my favourite player, but after his good performance in last year´s U20 he deserved to be counted on.
    Good performance
    It seems we didn't watch the same championship. Moreover, his stats in NCAA are very weak.

AlbionGate

Quote Originally Posted by jwfish6 View Post
    Where is Dragan Labovic?

Nemanja is ready to play. After his surgery, he spend the whole season practicing with Crvena Zvezda. His main goal is NBA draft.

AlbionGate

Serbian Basketball Federation won’t allow players selected in University National Team and in U20 NT to take part to Reebok Eurocamp. Macvan, Bjelica, Raduljica, Paunic, Keselj are concerned by this decision.
    Last edited by AlbionGate; 06-07-2009 at 06:52 PM.

AlbionGate

Three players are already out of the team. Shooting guard Mladen Jeremic is out due to an injury, Nikola Dragovic is still in Los Angeles due to scholar obligations, while Tadija Dragicevic wants to take rest in order to be at his best level next season (he is leaving Crvena Zvezda and he is expected to play in Spain next year).

US team was named today:

James Anderson (Oklahoma State / Junction City, Ark.)
    Talor Battle (Penn State / Albany, N.Y.)
    Trevor Booker (Clemson / Whitmire, S.C.)
    Craig Brackins (Iowa State / Palmdale, Calif.)
    Da'Sean Butler (West Virginia / Newark, N.J.)
    Corey Fisher (Villanova / Bronx, N.Y.)
    Lazar Hayward (Marquette / Buffalo, N.Y.)
    Robbie Hummel (Purdue / Valparaiso, Ind.)
    Quincy Pondexter (Washington / Fresno, Calif.)
    Deon Thompson (North Carolina / Torrance, Calif.)
    Evan Turner (Ohio State / Chicago, Ill.)
    Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State / Brownsville, Tenn.)

This is a good team, a little thin in the backcourt. I would expect the US against Serbia in the final.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedfan
    Most ppl get childish when they lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuTO
    refs in games of Spain walks with literally poop in his pants afraid of the Spanish players

AlbionGate

PG Talor Battle (5'11" 1988 Penn State)
    PG Corey Fisher (6'1" 1988 Villanova)
    SG/SF Evan Turner (6'7" 1988 Ohio State)
    SG/SF James Anderson (6'6" 1989 Oklahoma State)
    SF Lazar Hayward (6'6" 1986 Marquette)
    SF Quincy Pondexter (6'6" 1988 Washington)
    F Da'Sean Butler (6'7" 1988 West Virginia)
    F Robbie Hummel (6'8" 1989 Purdue)
    PF Deon Thompson (6'8" 1988 North Carolina)
    PF Trevor Booker (6'7" 1987 Clemson)
    PF Jarvis Varnado (6'9" 1988 Mississippi State)
    PF/C Craig Brackins (6'10" 1987 Iowa State)

I expect the US against Serbia in the final too. I'm really impatient to see how our NCAA players (Drca and Dragovic) and our NBA prospects (Bjelica, Keselj, Macvan, Raduljica) will play against this US team. Although most of US players are considered as potential NBA picks, I expect them to be in difficulty with FIBA rules. Home court advantage will also help serbian team, especially against USA. During the World U19 Championship in 2007, serbian crowd give energy to beat US squad. Deon Thompson was in the US team at the time. I wish him the same result this year, a second place behind Serbia.

AlbionGate

The Only Goal – Gold Medal
    Milan Macvan, the Hemofarm Stada center is in the Basketcity in Cukaricka padina with Serbian basketball team preparing for the Universiade.

- I am with the team in which all players are older than me, and have much more experience. I will do all I can to earn the place among the 12 best players – said Milan Macvan, Serbian University team member. As for the atmosphere in the team that is to play before home audience for the first time in 22 years, Milan Macvan says:

- After a very demanding season we are once again facing a challenge, but we are O.K with that. Our goal is clear and we don’t lack motivation – we want to win.

The Belgrade Universiade basketball tournament will, traditionally, bring together the best student basketball players.

- We are a bit apprehensive because each one of us wants to give their maximum before the home audience. We won silver in Bangkok; now it is for us to fix our game and aim for the gold. We are well aware that others will bring to Belgrade their best teams; the Americans are coming with their back up team that is to play at the World Championship in Turkey. However, we know what our goal is – to win the gold.

Speaking of the importance of the Universiade for Serbia and young athletes in general, Macvan says:

- I am very glad that the whole country is backing the Universiade project. I am sure that we will prove that we are good organizers and good hosts. As ever, athletes will try to achieve top results. That will be the best legacy of the Universiade Belgrade 2009 - concluded Milan Macvan.
    Milan Macvan optimistic as usual.

AlbionGate

A pre-University Games tournament will be held in Belgrade at the end of the week. Coach Aleksandar Kesar is waiting the last deadline to choose his definitive roster, probably after this tournament.

Saturday : Serbia - Russia (18.30), USA - Canada (21)
    Sunday : Russia - Canada (18.30), Serbia - USA (21)
    Monday : USA - Russia (18.30), Serbia - Canada (21)

Serbian current wide list:

Bjelica (Crvena zvezda), Aleksić (Partizan), Paunić (Ostende BEL), Kešelj (Crvena zvezda), Milošević (Partizan), Simonović (Budućnost MNE), Mačvan (Hemofarm), Štimac (Crvena zvezda), Raduljica (FMP), Borovnjak (Vojvodina), Drča (Utah NCAA), Koprivica (Washington NCAA) and Dramićanin (FMP).

Unfortunately, due to scholar obligations Nikola Dragovic wasn't present at the training camp and won't play at the Universiade. So he lost the opportunity to compete for senior NT. Another player, Milovan Rakovic was also missing at the training camp.

I expect Koprivica and Dramicanin to be the two players cut, while I hope Bjelica, Macvan, Raduljica and Keselj to be called up to senior NT list after this competition.

Will any TV broadcast this friendly tournament and University games? I'm very interested in "Lietuvos rytas" newcomer Dejan Borovnjak play.

AlbionGate

Quote Originally Posted by IGLR View Post
    Will any TV broadcast this friendly tournament and University games? I'm very interested in "Lietuvos rytas" newcomer Dejan Borovnjak play.
    The tournament is broadcast on a serbian sport channel SOS Kanal, but unfortunately not on internet (I didn't find any link to watch it online).

Serbian University NT beat Russia 103:101 (26:22, 20:21, 21:24, 23:23, 13:11) after overtime in the first game of the pre-University Games Tournament in Belgrade.

28 seconds before the end of the regular time, Russia lead 90:82. But with two consecutive three pointers by Simonović and Protić, and a basket by Paunić in the last second, Serbia managed to obtain the overtime. Something similar happened in the overtime, when serbian center Miroslav Raduljica (game MVP with 26 points and 9 rebounds) scored the victorious two pointer during serbian last attack.

In russian team, Alexei Zhukanenko scores 24 points but the best player was the playmaker Zibirov, who totally outplayed serbian counterparts Protić and Aleksić.

Serbia: Koprivica 2, Drča (dnp), Protić 7, Dramićanin (dnp), Kešelj 15, Milošević 3, Aleksić, Raduljica 26 + 9rbs, Simonović 10, Paunić 12, Borovnjak 6, Štimac 7, Bjelica 4, Mačvan 11. (Coach : Aleksandar Kesar)

Russia: Kotichevski 17, Golovin 5, Shabalkin 11, Voronov 13, Gorlanov, Nelyubov 5, Kashirov 1, Zhukanenko 24, Zibirov 21, Shapovalov, Koleshnikov 4. (Coach : Sergey Belov)

In the second game USA beat Canada 85:81.

AlbionGate

2nd day :
    Serbia - USA 98:82 (24:29, 23:21, 29:14, 22:18)

Serbia: Koprivica, Drča, Protić 4, Dramićanin, Kešelj 8, Milošević 5, Aleksić, Raduljica 18, Simonović 8, Paunić 16, Borovnjak 7, Štimac 15, Bjelica 12, Mačvan 5. (Coach : Aleksandar Kesar)
    USA: Battle 10, Fisher 12, Butler 10, Hummel 3, Turner 16, Anderson 8, Pondexter 6, Hayward 4, Brackins 2, Booker 3 , Varnado 1, Tomson 7. (Coach : Bo Ryan)

Russia - Canada 80:74 (13:18, 20:9, 24:22, 23:25)

Russia: Kotichevski 9, Golovin 7, Likhodey, Shabalkin 10, Voronov 14, Gorlanov, Nelyubov 8, Kashirov 2, Zhukanenko 15, Zibirov 4, Shapovalov, Kolesnikov 11. (Coach : Sergey Belov)
    Canada: Dyck 6, Baković 14, Bekkering, Collins 5, Gibson-Bascombe 5, Jeppesen, Nkrumah 2, Whyte 7, Dessureault 14, Upshaw 4, Doerksen 13, Surmacz 4. (Coach : Chris O'Rourke)

3rd day :
    Serbia – Canada 99:73 (29:18,20:14,29:18,21:23)

Serbia: Koprivica 9, Drča 3, Protić 6, Dramićanin 4, Kešelj 10, Milošević 6, Aleksić 2, Raduljica 16 + 8 rbs, Simonović 13, Paunić 2, Borovnjak 10, Štimac 9, Bjelica 9. (Coach : Aleksandar Kesar)
    Canada: Dyck 2, Baković 2, Bekkering 11, Collins 2, Gibson-Bascombe 9, Jeppesen, Nkrumah 6, Whyte 12, Dessureault 2, Upshaw 14, Doerksen 2, Surmacz 11. (Coach : Chris O'Rourke)

In the other game, USA won against Russia 67:63 (19:16, 17:11, 14:23, 17:13)

Final standing

1st round: Serbia – Russia 103:101, USA – Canada 85:81.
    2nd round: Russia – Canada 80:74, Serbia – USA 98:82.
    3rd round: USA – Russia 67:63 , Serbia - Canada 99:73

1. Serbia... 3...3-0...300:266...6
    2. USA...... 3...2-1...234:242...5
    3. Russia....3...1-2...244:244...4
    4. Canada..3...0-3...228:264...3

Serbian starting center Miroslav Raduljica was elected tournament MVP. He was also the best scorer of the tournament averaging 20 pts per game. Bjelica, Keselj, Paunic, Borovnjak and Macvan were serbian main players.

Well Serbia just won the University games and from what I´ve read I get the feeling Ivkovic will have a hard time selecting just 3 players to join the NT.

Macvan, Protic, Bjelica, Keselj, Raduljica, Simonovic... they all did well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast