Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 BBL Playoffs

Default 2009 BBL Playoffs

2009 BBL Playoffs

ALBA Berlin [1] - Paderborn Baskets [8]
    Everything else but 3-0 would be a huge surprise. Great season for Paderborn, a team with about 1.5mio € budget.

BG Göttingen [2] - Brose Baskets [7]
    Göttingen, surprise team of the season with probably an even smaller budget. Injury worries, but they were still able to finish 2nd. Respect. Bamberg took a while to get going, but this expensive roster which centres around the duo Predrag Suput [allround game, high basketball IQ] - Elton Brown [lowpost game, rebounds] up front, should get the job done.

EWE Baskets Oldenburg [3] - DB Skyliners Frankfurt [6]
    Most interesting series. Oldenburg was on regular season spot one course, but they stumbled on with the goal in sight. Frankfurt, average season so far, but they're able to pull it off in the playoffs. Rickey Paulding vs. Titus Ivory will be a key matchup on the 2/3, while Jason Gardner vs. Pascal Roller is going to be interesting as well.

Telekom Baskets Bonn [4] - ratiopharm Ulm [5]
    Bonn finished where most expected them to finish, while Ulm is another surprise. The latter are extremely strong at home. A 3-2 looks probable.

Quote Originally Posted by robbe View Post
    2009 BBL Playoffs

ALBA Berlin [1] - Paderborn Baskets [8]
    Everything else but 3-0 would be a huge surprise. Great season for Paderborn, a team with about 1.5mio € budget.

BG Göttingen [2] - Brose Baskets [7]
    Göttingen, surprise team of the season with probably an even smaller budget. Injury worries, but they were still able to finish 2nd. Respect. Bamberg took a while to get going, but this expensive roster which centres around the duo Predrag Suput [allround game, high basketball IQ] - Elton Brown [lowpost game, rebounds] up front, should get the job done.

EWE Baskets Oldenburg [3] - DB Skyliners Frankfurt [6]
    Most interesting series. Oldenburg was on regular season spot one course, but they stumbled on with the goal in sight. Frankfurt, average season so far, but they're able to pull it off in the playoffs. Rickey Paulding vs. Titus Ivory will be a key matchup on the 2/3, while Jason Gardner vs. Pascal Roller is going to be interesting as well.

Telekom Baskets Bonn [4] - ratiopharm Ulm [5]
    Bonn finished where most expected them to finish, while Ulm is another surprise. The latter are extremely strong at home. A 3-2 looks probable.
    Some how, I can see final between Alba and Oldenburg, which I saw in Jerusalem and was impressed from the team.

I know the Skyliners is big name, but the home advantage is big here.
    2019/2020:
    PG: Jones, D-BA, Alber
    SG: Wilbekin,Dorsey, Bryant
    SF:Blayzer, S. Cohen, Zoosman
    PF: Acy, Coloiaro, Casspi
    PF: Zizic, Hunter, Amare

Is Chi Lewis-Parry playing in any of those teams?

@thadzonline: No. I don't know him at all, but I think there's no player with this name in Germany.

ALBA - Paderborn

This one has written "sweep" all over. Berlin is, of course, far superior in pretty much every aspect: the players' individual class, roster depth, budget, regular season results. ALBA won both games vs Paderborn this season, among them an easy 82-65 victory last week. With PG Rashard Wright back from injury, ALBA looked well and playoff ready in their most recent games.

Paderborn is already an overachiever since their promotion, highlighted by their sensational playoff berth now. Veteran center Chris Ensminger proved to be a crucial signing for the Baskets and played another terrific season. You have to keep in mind that we're talking about a club with one of the lowest budgets in league and serious financial troubles throughout the year. Everyone expected them to fight relegation every given year, but instead, they improved from season to season. Robbe said in his BBL preview that coach Doug Spradley has a non-relegation clause in his contract: With him, the team can't get relegated. Well, their current season turned out to be even more impressive, making Spradley the hottest commidity in this offseason's coach market.

Prediction: 3-0

Göttingen - Bamberg

Life ain't fair. And basketball in particular. This is how I'd feel like if I was a Göttingen supporter. Here you have another club without even midlevel financial abilities; a team full of players scouted smartly; a team that annoys every opponent with its full court press game in and game out; a team that overcomes key injuries and establishes itself as a top team this year, earning them a long article about their cinderella story on draftexpress and coach John Patrick a COTY award. So you finish second and everything is great? Yes, except for the fact that Göttingen faces Bamberg in the first round.*

Bamberg did what that usually do. They had a very rough start into the season, exchanged a player or two, and played a strong second half of the season. In fact, they are 9-3 in their last 12 games and on their top right for the start of the playoff. John Goldsberry has returned from his long term injury, Predrag Suput has overcome his early season slump to put up allstar calibre performances and massive Elton Brown emerged as a force under the baskets.

Without Kyle Bailey, Göttingen will have a hard time to advance against a Bamberg squad that has found its best shape when it matters most.

Prediction: 2-3

Oldenburg - Frankfurt

Congratulations to Oldenburg! I've hyped them all season long, but now they pulled off a nifty move I didn't expect at all. They moved down from first to third place, courtesy of a four game losing streak including lackluster performances against Tübingen and Göttingen. But dropping to third was the only way to surely avoid Bamberg in round 1*. Instead of the ugly beast from the southeast* Oldenburg has to play Frankfurt now.

Frankfurt is the dark horse in the playoffs for me. Not great, not disappointing, but a good team getting solid results. Coach Murat Didin has a very deep roster at his hands and uses it unpredictibly due to his huge supply of tactical variations. Both teams won their home games in regular season, with Frankfurt delivering Oldenburg's heaviest loss of the season (84-53).

Prediction: Oldenburg struggled lately, but is Frankfurt strong enough to handle the Thunderbirds' formidable trio of Gardner, Foster and Paulding, defensive anchor Boumtje-Boumtje and their supporting core of savvy Yugo-forwards? I somehow doubt it: 3-1

Bonn - Ulm

The duell between the team with the most mocking nicknames (Telekomedians, Telekommunist, Pinkies) and the team with the most boring nickname (sparrows) might the most open series in the first round. Bonn is a very athletic and defensive orientated team full of players who can defend several positions, thus enabling them to switch a lot without giving up very much. And then there is shotblocking thread Ken Johnson patrolling the paint. On offense, they rely mostly on EJ Rowland, who has really blossomed since arriving from Artland, crafty swingman Winsome Frazier and scoring PF Brandon Bowman.

Ulm is one of the most impresive stories in the last years. Coach Mike Taylor slowly built a competitive team with limited money and is now rewarded with Ulm's first playoffs for many years. The Sparrows have always been an excellent rebounding team thanks to dominating Little Big Man Jeff Gibbs. But meanwhile they are a rock solid team on every position. Sean Finn has established himself as a legit force underneath the basket, Romeo Travis is a crafty SF who provides even more inside presence as well as the occasional three, Lee Humphrey and Sebastian Betz provide outside shooting, Keith Triplett gets his minutes as defensive stopper, while Dru Joyce and Per Günther run the point well. This balanced roster can be a threat to any team in the league and they are hardly to overcome in their own Kuhberghalle (for all you non-german-speakers: Yes, that's "Cow Mountain Hall" in english).

Prediction: No idea really. Everything can happen. I'll go with home court advantage: 3-2

*Yes, I do have serious Bamberg issues.
    Last edited by uhg80; 05-15-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Only Boris can judge me.

my bad, this was a German League..All the while I was thinking it was the British Basketball League also shortened as BBL

And then there's also the Baltic Basketball League. We obviously have too many BBLs around. FIBA, do something!
    Only Boris can judge me.

@uhg80: nice job!
    i fully agree with your prediction!

MEG Göttingen - Brose Baskets Bamberg 84:76
    Göttingen leads 1-0 in the Series

Easier win for Göttingen than the final 8-point difference might show. They led by 20 at some point of the game and if it wasn't for some Goldsberry threepointers when the game was already decided, the difference would've been bigger than 8 as well in the end.

Shocking performance by Bamberg to be honest. I mean, ok, Göttingens fullcourt press and trap is beautifaul, the play really aggressive and put all their energy into their defense. But how is it possible that a pro team like Bamberg has no solutions against that press? Goldsberry and Rivera looked like schoolboys at times - and lateron Suput (and even Brown one time!) had to bring the ball, in order to avoid 8-second violations. Things got easier later in the game for Bamberg, when Göttingen got tired and some players had foultrouble. But still, if a player is getting trapped that often in a double team without a passing option, then the coach is definately not up to it at that point.

The main reason for Göttingens easy win was rebounding though. They worked hard for the offensive board, while Bamberg just didn't block out at all. A team with the terrible, awful shot selection of Göttingen just cannot score 84 points, despite all heart, emotions and energy. But Bamberg gave them way too many second chances, didn't use the height advantage (Göttingen is a pretty small, but athletic team) and didn't block out at all. That way the bad shooting percentages from mid-distance and from beyond the arc didn't hurt Göttingen and they could pull the win off.

On Bambergs side, the only player who kept a cool head was Pedrag Suput, he was simply unstoppable and used his mismatch all game long. Elton Brown on the other hand was absolutely disappointing and Tim Ohlbrecht didn't play like a NBA prospect for sure. Robert Garrett is getting old as it seems for some time now, while Demomd Greene can still offer solutions, but is not as explosive any more, as he used to be (and he had an off night from beyond the arc).

I kinda blame Chris Fleming for this appearance of his team though. I saw Göttingen for the third time this season now - and they never had anything like a plan on the offensive end, almost no plays, no systems, a few screens for the Guards, that's it. You just have to prepare your team for that, it was obvious that guys like Clif Brown or Jason Boone are working hard for the offensive board, and Bamberg didn't look prepared there at all. And their shot selection was better than Göttingens, but it wasn't good either. With this roster I expected more set play from Bamberg, more well executed offenses, instead of rushed decisions. Especially Goldsberry just couldn't control the game and its rhythm as PG, that was key as well for Göttingens win.

Looking forward to game 2 of the series, I just don't think that Bamberg will show up that unprepared for the second game. If they do though, then they're in real trouble - and coach Flemings job should be in question...

Btw, the highlight of the game (at least for me ) was the face expression of that guy wearing the Olympiakos shirt in Bambergs fanblock, right before the end. Priceless

It's unbelievable how John Patrick's full court pressure defense, pick and roll hard hedge and double team + the other three players playing the passing lanes is posing huge problems for almost every offense in this league. Only ALBA has had the right answers for this so far. That shows us how poor coaching in this league is. Even worse, Bamberg has had a whole two weeks preparation time [I doubt they wasted any time for the Cologne game], yet they only rarely found solutions against the press. A completely unorganised display, especially in the first 15 minutes.

Göttingen is hard to watch on the offensive end, but you cannot blame them. This is what gets you into the playoffs in this league.

Bamberg clearly lacks a Demond Mallet type / comboguard difference maker. Goldsberry is a solid floor general but needs someone at his side to make plays. Predrag Suput is the team's single creative force.

21 offensive rebounds for Göttingen over 20 defensive rebounds for Bamberg. Catastrophic ratio.

QF, 1st Gameday:

ALBA Berlin - Paderborn Baskets 78:71
    Julius Jenkins 20, Imanuell McElroy 14, Aleksandar Nadjfeji 11; Nathan Peavy 20, Chris Ensminger 14/13r

BG Göttingen - Brose Baskets 84:76
    Cliff Brown 20/11r, Dean Oliver 17/6r; Predrag Suput 24/10r/5a, John Goldsberry 18

EWE Baskets Oldenburg - Skyliners Frankfurt 79:69
    Rickey Paulding 24/5r/3a, Jason Gardner 18/4a; Keith Simmons 17/10r, Derrick Allen 14/6r

Telekom Baskets Bonn - ratiopharm Ulm 71:62
    Brandon Bowman 15, EJ Rowland 12, Vincent Yarbrough 10/6r; Jeff Gibbs 11/16r, Sean Finn 11/7r

Boxscores: http://www.basketball-bundesliga.de/...pmenu=inactive

Pretty unspectacular 1st Gameday, but Gameday 2 should be interesting and could already decide at least one series.

An easy way to check out the results and statistics of the 2009 playoffs of the German Basketball Bundesliga is a website widget. It offers direct links to the statpages and the top 7 players.

Check it out live in action.

The few words where a translation might be needed:
    Spieltag - game day
    Viertelfinale - quarter finals
    Halbfinale - semi finals
    Last edited by Gruebler; 05-20-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Paderborn surprisingly beats ALBA in Game 2. Everyone expected this series to finish 3:0. ALBA had a horrible day, relying imo too much on the outside shot, especially early in the game. Both difference makers McElroy and Jenkins were not on their usual level. Those two get the team going, and it didn't happen on Thursday. But in fact, noone was on normal level, with the exception of Adam Chubb and Dragan Dojcin. Paderborn got the W despite playing without Chris Ensminger almost the whole game due to foul trouble. Topscorers: LaVelle Felton with 14 for Paderborn [including the go-ahead three a few seconds from the buzzer], Chubb had 20 for Berlin.

Frankfurt leveled the series with Oldenburg by a narrow victory at home. Pascal Roller with 18, Derrick Allen with 16 for Frankfurt, Rickey Paulding with 18 and Jason Gardner with 17 for the guests.

Bamberg had a hard-fought home victory over Göttingen. Elton Brown 15, Suput added 13, 8 and 3 assists. Ben Jacobsen 21 for Göttingen, Cliff Brown with 20/15, after dropping 20/11 on Bamberg in the first game.

Bonn is the only team which is up 2:0 after beating Ulm 71:69 on the road. Brandon Bowman topscored with 20 points, Sean Finn had 18 and 8 for Ulm.

For Boxscores, follow Gruebler's link above.

Sensation in Berlin. Bon won 73:71 in the first semi-final in the BBL.
    Dowsen scores 14 to Bon.

Oldenburg kept home wuth 82:74 over Bamberg.
    Foster with 22 ro Olden, Sofut 24 to Bamb.
    2019/2020:

So ALBA continues to struggle. They had a really hard time against Paderborn and just overcame them thanks to some crucial 3s by Jenkins in game 5.

Today, they were already down by 14 in the third, equalized with an 14-0 run only to be behind by 8 later on. Berlin claimed the lead regardless, but a late three by Vincent Yarbrough put Bonn ahead for good.

Don't expect robbe to post anything next week. He'll probably stare at the live ticker all the time, trying to figure out what exactly happened in the last seconds. Poor boy's confused.

Bamberg had not much to offer offensively besides the once again formidable Peja Suput and Elton Brown (who dominated when Boumtje˛ was on the bench). Okay, some corner threes by Demond, but that was it. On the other hand, Jason Gardner, who had a quiet game until then, took over in the fourth and Milan Majstorovic also delivered when he knocked down some crucial triples.
    Only Boris can judge me.

Boumtje˛
    One of the biggest....
    2019/2020:

Quote Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
    One of the biggest....
    Huh? Care to explain?
    Only Boris can judge me.

Quote Originally Posted by uhg80 View Post
    Don't expect robbe to post anything next week. He'll probably stare at the live ticker all the time, trying to figure out what exactly happened in the last seconds. Poor boy's confused.
    Don't underestimate me. It took me only a few hours to recover from that shock.

Now, Wednesday is one of the games of the season. ALBA needs a gutsy performance to win in Bonn, where they are going to face a motivated, unfriendly, loud 6.000 fans.

Hats off to Mike Koch, who pulled the right strings for Game 1.

Ps: I'm sure Roy is referring to B˛'s big hands.

Quote Originally Posted by uhg80 View Post
    Huh? Care to explain?
    I like the "Boumtje˛"
    2019/2020:

ALBA Berlin lost the second game of the semi finals against Telekom Baskets Bonn 72:75 after overtime. As Bonn leads 2:0 in the series, a comeback by ALBA seems to be more and more unlikely.

ALBA features a roster with many stars. Pre-season the majority believed them to be the best team of the league. But it appears as if they suffer the Olympiakos syndrom: To many big names, to much money and to few players who are able to go for the extra mile. McElroy is injured, Wright hurt/dislocated/broke a finger yesterday. Femerling is placed on the ranks by coach Pavicevic. Jacobsen sticks to his NBA-role and mostly plays defense and refuses to take responsibility offensively. Ansu Sesay.... well the Italians warned us that he plays inconstantly. Currently he just is no factor. ALBA lacks men for big games who are able and willing to step up.

Bonn features limited players like EJ Rowland, Ken Johnson, John Bowler. But they play with great energy and fight like lions.

As in game one ALBA Berlin again had the last possession and was not able to use it.

How defense, fight and some one on one action can win a basketball game, unbelievable. Bonn didn't play well on offense. However, this was a playoff battle, and Bonn is better at battling.

Luka Pavicevic lost this one imo, failed to call a timeout during Bonn's run, failed to have his players try to draw a fifth foul on Frazier, who played more than ten minutes with four and was the key guy yesterday, failed to realise that McElroy is unfit, failed with his technical foul two minutes before the end of regulation. I like his philosophy of creating a team and his offense is the most potent, most versatile, easily the best in German basketball, but in terms of ingame coaching, making key adjustments in or before games, it seems that Koch has the upper hand. Koch likes to keep things simple, and while I'm not a fan of how we perform on offense, one has to admire the way he increases his team's level of play in the playoffs by 100% year by year, his ability to get the best out of every single one of his players, as well as the ability to analyse what he's seeing and quickly adjust.

This series is far from over though. ALBA showed they can win in Bonn, just didn't. All it takes is a win in Game 3 [which I'm sure is going to happen, by double digits, maybe a blowout], and then a lot of pressure is on Bonn to win Game 4.

Needless to say of course, not qualifying for the Euroleague would be a desaster for ALBA, especially after this year's EL season had gone so well for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast