• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-nation tourney

Day1:

China 77-70 New Zealand
    CHN: Zhao Shuang 18p 8r, Ma Zengyu 16, Gao Song / Wei Wei 10
    NZL: Jillian Harmon 19, Micaela Cocks 14, Lisa Wallbutton 14, Natalie Purcell-Taylor 10p 7r

Australia "B" 57-67 Brazil "B"
    AUS: ???
    BRA: Clarissa dos Santos 18p 13r, Bethania Vasconcelos 11
    aim low, score high

Comment

Abby Bishop was the only Aussie player scoring in double digits, actually she had a double-double, 16pts and 10 reb.

Brazilian win was a bit surprising, as Australia is anyway packed with some excellent veteran players.

Comment

Originally posted by carlo View Post
        Brazilian win was a bit surprising, as Australia is anyway packed with some excellent veteran players.
        China beat both of them to win the first leg.

Day 2:
        China 71-53 Brazil
        CHN: Zhao Shuang 17p 9r, Xu Nuo 15, Gao Song 12
        BRA: Gilmara Justino 11, Franciele Nascimento 10

Australia 79-74 New Zealand
        AUS: Abby Bishop 21, Rachael Flanagan 13, Elyse Penaluna 13
        NZL: Jillian Harmon 21, Lisa Wallbutton 16, Micaela Cocks 11, Antonia Edmondson 11, Natalie Taylor 11

Day 3:
        China 80-72 Australia
        CHN: Ding Yuan 14, Ma Zengyu 12, Ji Yanyan 10
        AUS:

New Zealand 62-73 Brazil
        NZL: Lisa Wallbutton 16
        BRA: Clarissa dos Santos 23p 8r, Palmira Marcal 13

All the China NT games are available in HQ here:
        aim low, score high

Comment

In Day 3 loss to China, Aussies leading scorers were Abby Bishop 16, Elyse Penaluna 13 and Steph Cumming with 11.

Comment

2nd leg of 4-nation tournament

Day 4:

Australia 76-70 Brazil
            AUS: Elyse Penaluna 28, Abby Bishop 12, Hanna Zavecz 11
            BRA: Silvia Gustavo Rocha 16, Nadia Colhado 14

New Zealand 83-82 China
            NZL: Jililan Harmon 18, Lisa Wallbutton 17, Kate McMeeken-Ruscoe 15, Natalie Taylor 12, Antonia Edmondson 12
            CHN: Zhao Shuang 13, Gao Song 13, Xu Nuo 12, Ji Yanyan 10, Chen Nan 10

Notice the 3 bolded Chinese players. Gao Song is the youngest player in the team (listed 1992), while Zhao Shuang and Xu Nuo are the only 2 first-time selections to the NT, and these 3 are leading the team in scoring (and doing well in other recent games). Zhao Shuang, being good-looking and all, is dominating Chinese Internet talk these days after top-scoring for China in 3 out of the last 4 games. "Walking Skeleton" Xu Nuo (whom cross0ver112 met again in New York ) also looks like a stud if she can just gain a little mass. At 196cm she weighs the same as her 170cm teammate Yang Banban.

Day 5:

Australia 82-53 New Zealand
            NZL: Jillian Harmon 17, Kate McMeeken-Ruscoe 13
            AUS: Kayla Francis 14, Elyse Penuluna 14

China 99-79 Brazil
            BRA: Clarissa dos Santos 19, Silvia Gustavo Rocha 15, Franciele Nascimento 10
            CHN: Zhao Shuang 23p 7a, Wei Wei 19, Ji Yanyan 17, Xu Nuo 15, Chen Nan 10

Zhao Shuang is for real, big star in the making. Scoring, rebounding, assists and steals, this girl just racks up the stat sheet game after game despite her slender frame. After watching her play in WCBA I predicted she'd stick with the NT if only for her relentless energy, but I did not expect her to rise so fast in her first NT experience. Twenty-one years old (officially), Zhao Shuang played in WCBA for 3 years but had never made the All-Star ballot, but I believe she'll lead the All-Star votes next season. A pretty girl with a pretty game is always a marketing dream for women's sports, China or anywhere.

Last edited by sinobball; 06-24-2011, 01:04 PM.
            aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post

Day 5:

Australia 82-53 New Zealand
              NZL: Jillian Harmon 17, Kate McMeeken-Ruscoe 13
              AUS: Kayla Francis 14, Elyse Penuluna 14

China 99-79 Brazil
              CHN: Zhao Shuang 23p 7a, Wei Wei 19, Ji Yanyan 17, Xu Nuo 15, Chen Nan 10

Zhao Shuang is for real, big star in the making. Scoring, rebounding, assists and steals, this girl just racks up the stat sheet game after game despite her slender frame. After watching her play in WCBA I predicted she'd stick with the NT if only for her relentless energy, but I did not expect her to rise so fast in her first NT experience. Twenty-one years old (officially), Zhao Shuang played in WCBA for 3 years but had never made the All-Star ballot, but I believe she'll lead the All-Star votes next season. A pretty girl with a pretty game is always a marketing dream for women's sports, China or anywhere.

Big win for China indeed.

More photos of Zhao Shuang !!!!

Comment

Last day, 4 nation tournament

New Zealand 63-75 Brazil
                NZL: Natalie Taylor 14, Jillian Harmon 12
                BRA: Palmira Marcal 21, Clarissa dos Santos 18p 10r

China 75-70 Australia
                CHN: Chen Nan 16, Zhao Shuang 13
                AUS: Abby Bishop 19, Hanna Zavecz 12, Elyse Panaluna 11

China again won the 2nd leg of the tournament.

Zhao Shuang (1990 188cm) finished the 6 games with an average of 15.5p 4.7r 2.6a (all team highs) on 58%FG 88%FT
                Last edited by sinobball; 07-12-2011, 03:37 PM.
                aim low, score high

Comment

Zhao Shuang

wow, thanks for that Zhao Shuang snippet; she's adorable, my goodness.

What is Zhao Shuang's Weibo?

This is her in Xu Nuo and Yang Ban Ban's hotel room; she was slurping on noodles that Xu Nuo prepared for her moments before this pic was taken.

Last edited by cross0ver112; 07-12-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cross0ver112 View Post
                    This is her in Xu Nuo and Yang Ban Ban's hotel room
                    Did you really follow them to their hotel room? (That was in Albany?)

A report from China says that during the US trip some unnamed WNBA team(s) approached Chinese coach Sun Fengwu and asked him about Zhao Shuang and the possibility of her playing in WNBA. I don't know much about WNBA but I find it very hard to imagine considering her runaway-model body shape, and she has major flaws on defense (she tries hard though). Offensively I do think she could become one of the best perimeter scorers China has ever seen, she doesn't have a jump shot yet.

On the other hand I do wonder about Wei Wei to the WNBA. She is 206cm, smart, and was pretty much unstoppable offensively in recent games, posting up, hook shots and can't-miss mid-range. Probably even better than Yao Ming offensively, hahaha. Can't rebound though.
                    aim low, score high

Comment

I did hang out with them after the game against the New York Liberty in Albany, NY in this Chinese Restaurant that was right next to the Times Union Center. After they left I wanted to follow them back to their hotel. I felt that it was an honor to be able to hang out with them, but I didn't want push my luck. I felt that it might have been a little creepy on my part if I did, plus Xu Nuo didn't answer me when I asked her if I could.

That picture was actually taken in Xu Nuo and Yang Ban Ban's hotel kitchen/living room at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in Harrison, NY which was only about a 5 minute drive or less from my house in Port Chester, NY.

I'll just shut up.
                      Last edited by cross0ver112; 07-14-2011, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cross0ver112 View Post
                        I'll just shut up.
                        They told me you showed up to their games in Australia! This is hilarious, I mean aside from the top 2 players (Miao Lijie & Chen Nan) the girls can walk on the street in China and be pretty much unrecognizable, and yet we have an obsessed American fan! Let me guess, next stop China (3-game series against Canada starting next week) and then Japan (Asian Champs)?

Three of them did get spotted yesterday in a Beijing mall though.
                        Last edited by sinobball; 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM.
                        aim low, score high

Comment

Originally posted by sinobball View Post
                          They told me you showed up to their games in Australia! This is hilarious, I mean aside from the top 2 players (Miao Lijie & Chen Nan) the girls can walk on the street in China and be pretty much unrecognizable, and yet we have an obsessed American fan! Let me guess, next stop China (3-game series against Canada starting next week) and then Japan (Asian Champs)?
                          Respect!! That must require a lot of dedication, time and money to be able to follow up on a team like that ... I do hope and wish that I can meet up with the members of the Chinese NT whether men or women one day....

Also the guanxi connection with the girls might help him land an opportunity to play ball in China+learn some Mandarin .

Comment

Los Angeles Sparks 98, Chinese National Team 71

Center, Chen Nan did not play. Wei Wei paced the team with her overall game of 8 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists.
                            Sacramento Kings
                            HERE WE STAY UNTIL THE COWBELLS COME HOME

Comment

cross0ver112 I find you, this must be you, ha!

Anyway, the team doesn't look like it will do well in the Olympics. I think they'll finish better than the men's counterpart, but still hard to get too excited.

Chinese men's basketball at least has decent young prospects, and the professional league is flourishing, while Chinese women's basketball is dying. Girls in China don't want to play basketball. The tall athletic ones who want to become athletes choose volleyball as this sport has about 50X more exposure on Chinese TV and media. But most don't want to become athletes, as they can earn a ton more doing something else in China's booming economy. Every off-season, some girls retire to become cooks, waitresses, security guards, elementary school teachers and so on. Those that have the looks become flight attendants and models. Most of the best prospects use basketball as a vehicle to graduate from college and become white collar workers.

Now I understand China already has the luxury of having "professional women's basketball athletes", something nonexistent in most countries. However when we compare the status with South Korea, the average salary of WCBA players is less than 1/2 of WKBL while standards of living in Chinese cities is not significantly less than in Korean cities. I was reading journalist Robin Chu's blog on the recent Nike All Asia Camp where they had a girl's camp and the best 3 performers don't want to pursue professional basketball. The most painful thing is Japan looks like it's investing a lot in women's basketball (they've been sending a lot of young girls to Nike All Asia Camp) and has more or less outperformed China in junior competitions in recent years.

I've talked to most members of Chinese women's NT online and I know most of them have at least 1 basketball parent, otherwise I would have imagined that their parents wouldn't support it. I really like the girls and find them a group of polite, friendly, dedicated and fun-loving girls, but I am also aware of the limits of what they can accomplish. Women's sport will only survive when there is international success (e.g. Chinese women's volleyball) and when there isn't, it's goes downhill from there. And I think this is the inevitable of Chinese women's basketball.
                              aim low, score high

Comment

Chinese NT is expected to meet a USA Women's All-Star squad in a three-game series July 2-4 in Jinzhong City.
                                Games should be televised, but I don't know if they can be viewed everywhere.

In the second game of the three-city, nine-game tour the NetScouts Basketball USA All-Stars defeated Germany 68-54. The USA started fast opening up a 21-10 lead at the end of the first quarter. Germany fought back into the game in the second quarter cutting the deficit to 36-30 at the half. The third quarter saw […]

US All-Star team is managed by NetScouts B'ball and is made by former NCAA players, 9 having completed their collegiate career in 2012 and 3 in 2011.
                                More info on Chinese tour here .

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information