Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by euskadi View Post
    ok. but 178? are you serious?

one example.in last football championship tallest teams are serbia and slovenia, around 185 cm. croatian football team is around 185 cm. in every handball championship croatia is tallest team with biggest number of players taller then 2m. in last waterpolo championship croatian team is tallest. we have tallest tenniser karlovic ( 208cm ). in top 10 tallest tenniser are also cilic (196 ) and before ancic (195 ) ljubicic is 193. same with slovenia, serbia and montenegro

pretty big athletes for one small nation i dont beleve that average people was lot smaler then athletes. i am 188 cm tall and i was always among shorter kids in class
    Same here .186 cm "small" and allways been among the shorter kids.

Comment

Originally posted by andz View Post
      Same here .186 cm "small" and allways been among the shorter kids.
      Giants, real giants you boys are

Comment

Originally posted by euskadi View Post
        ok. but 178? are you serious?

one example.in last football championship tallest teams are serbia and slovenia, around 185 cm. croatian football team is around 185 cm. in every handball championship croatia is tallest team with biggest number of players taller then 2m. in last waterpolo championship croatian team is tallest. we have tallest tenniser karlovic ( 208cm ). in top 10 tallest tenniser are also cilic (196 ) and before ancic (195 ) ljubicic is 193. same with slovenia, serbia and montenegro

pretty big athletes for one small nation i dont beleve that average people was lot smaler then athletes. i am 188 cm tall and i was always among shorter kids in class
        You picked bad example. Height in tennis is not so relevant. Djokovic is best player this moment and he is as tall as you

Anyway, I also believe 1.78 m was average for Dinaric Alps in 1950's or so, as many people from these parts I know are even taller then me and I am 1.93 m

Comment

Originally posted by unnamed View Post
          You picked bad example. Height in tennis is not so relevant. Djokovic is best player this moment and he is as tall as you

Anyway, I also believe 1.78 m was average for Dinaric Alps in 1950's or so, as many people from these parts I know are even taller then me and I am 1.93 m
          What is this thread about? Heights or tennis? hmmm

Ok then... I'm 185, I'm average in my country and I hate Djokovic and love Federer...

Enough about it..

Comment

well im short.

Comment

I cannot say anything about Lithuanians but new generation of dinarics are very tall.My father is also from Dinaric Alps and he is 172 cm while one of his brothers is 183 cm.I am 186 cm and my 183 cm- uncle's son is 195 cm.Netherland's economic situation was so far better than former Yugoslav countries and they were taller than us.Now,Netherland is still better but another nations have more healthy diet and getting taller because of it.I see many Japanese tourist who is over 180 cm in Istanbul(from new generation).I also see many Dutch tourists in Istanbul and I think they have nearly same height avarage with Dinaric people.Of course;Dinarics are a bit taller...
              When I was in Ukraine,I was shocked because Ukrainians looked very short to me for European people!! Sometimes I felt liike the tallest person of Ukraine! Of course; I exaggrated something but It was too hard to see a girl in Ukraine who is over 172-173 cm.Ukrainian girls are known as very tall in Turkey.I think the reason of that is their shoes with hills

Comment

Correct data for Italy

Check your reference for Italy; you have good data from ISTAT (the italian government statistical bureau), but you entered an incorrect value!!! go back to your reference and double check!! the correct value for the italian male average stature is 174.58.
                Those data were from 1998 (males born in 1980). Average stature of italians grow about 1 cm every 10 years (male italians were 167 cms in 1947) but thanks to wonderful italian cuisine we added 7.5 cms between 1947 and 1998.We are also one of the slimmest countries in the EU
                Deutschlands führende Nachrichtenseite. Alles Wichtige aus Politik, Wirtschaft, Sport, Kultur, Wissenschaft, Technik und mehr.

Comment

thanks for sharing the info but i have this data of youth height in south america countries:

Argentina 174,90
                  Uruguay 174,80
                  Brazil 171,60
                  Colombia 171,50
                  Paraguay 171,00
                  Chile 171,00
                  Peru 167,00

your info might be old

Comment

I'm Turkish and I live in the Netherlands

I'm between 5'11" and 6', which isn't so bad for a Turk, but in the Netherlands I feel like a midget quite some times..

Lots and lots of dudes around 6'5" here
                    A lot of girls are 6 feet and taller
                    THE NBA IS FAKE

Comment

• Heights for Serbia are way too low

Heights for Serbia are way too low.

Height of entire population/adults
                      ------------------------------------
                      The sample used in the reference (two groups of small villages in Vojvodina), doesn't represent well the whole of Serbia. The sample includes a large percent of minorities (23% Hungarians) which are significantly shorter than Slavic population. The average for Slavic population is 178 cm and for Hungarians is 172.5 cm (see Table 5. in the reference).

The average age in the sample is 41.3 years and it includes males form 17 - 68.5 years of age. At 17 growth is not finished, growth stops at around 20 and at 68.5 years height already decreases for 1-2 cm. That should be taken into account by adding 0.5 cm.

The average for the whole population, based on the sample data without minorities and with adjustment (see above), should be around 178.5 cm.

What is the average age for other countries? In the list it just says 20+, so it can be 25 or 30 or 35 etc...
                      In most European countries the average age should be around 41-42 years of age, but if that is not the case then we are comparing apples to oranges. Also for many countries height was self-reported, not measured (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height).

For example, Slovenians are not the tallest people from ex-Yugoslav republics for sure. The main reason is that during the last 100 years hundreds of thousands of people migrated from the area of Dinaric Alps to other parts of ex-Yugoslavia but much less to Slovenia, so the average height in other parts of the former Yugoslavia (like Croatia or Serbia) should be higher than in Slovenia.

Average Height by Country (Youth:20-30 years)
                      ----------------------------------------------
                      For Serbia it shows 178.5 cm, where is that number coming from? In the reference there is no data for young population (20-30 years), so where is the source for that number?

The average height for younger population must be much higher than for the whole population.

For example, look at "Demographic Study of Footballers in Europe" for 2010 (http://www.eurofootplayers.org/IMG/p...abstract-2.pdf), where Serbia has the tallest players with the average of 183.4 cm. These results are for the whole national league, so the sample covers all regions of the country. Also, in ex-Yugoslavia taller people play other sports that require higher height; like handball, volleyball, water-polo and of course especially basketball, which is extremely popular.

Comment

• Stupididiot

Originally posted by kaiziken_pinas View Post
                        I put a silicon pad (dunno what it's called) every time I wear shoes....

That explains the two inches ^_^

Either way though, I'm still short.

Are western girls (esp Turkish,Lebanese girls) taller than me?

Lmao . If you're short don't be stupid too then . Turkish and Lebanese are not western girls you fucking dimwit . Lebanese is Middle East and Turkish is Eurasian

Comment

• Originally posted by Pregathorius View Post
                          Im really surprised to see that the Dutchs are the tallest people in the world.
                          I really thought that the US or Scandinavian would be the tallest. Im dutch and my height is 196 cm, thats 7cm taller than my father. I always used to be the tallest in class, but there were alot of boys with a height of 175cm+ .
                          I have a dutch friend who is 195, he was the sixth shortest guy in his class when he was at high school. In All the 14 dutch boys. I am surprised to see you are tallest student with 196cm.
                          Last edited by tallwestman; 04-01-2014, 01:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pablonis View Post
                            That's, imho, a bit of an overstatement. Never been to Pogorica, but throughout coastal towns and later Bosnian ones, being 192cm felt the same as it does in Vilnius or Kaunas - a bit taller than average.
                            There are a lot of foreign tourists who like to visit the pogorica or coastal cities in Balkan. They are not local people. If you want to meet tall and "real" Balkans, you must go to those local club or high schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beva View Post
                              Well, since I come from Dinaric Alps, from Herzegovina, I can say something about that... I'm not that tall, I'm only 182 cm, but I think it's enough to say that in my class in high school, out of 13 men, only one was smaller than me, and the other one was the same size... Everyone else were higher than us, and 5 of my classmates were above 195 cm... Others were around 188-190 cm... Well, I know why I'm not that tall, my mother is from Bosnia, and the average Bosnian is much smaller than average Herzegovinian (or how ever you say that )... The one that was smaller than me (172 cm) was also from the border of Dinaric Alps, and this one who is my size is born in Sarajevo, which is Bosnia... I know there were scientists coming to our schools, they were examining why are we so taller then the rest (not me ), but I don't know what they concluded...

As far as I know, there are three regions with very tall men: Montenegro, Herzegovina and Dalmatia... Montenegro is a country now, so their average is visible from the stats, while Herzegovina and Dalmatia are regions in their countries...

And I hate when people say just 'Bosnia', I know it's easier, but the name of the country is Bosnia and Herzegovina, or simply B&H... Does anyone in the world call 'Trinidad and Tobago' just 'Trinidad'

Is your high school a normal school or sports school? It is very important, if your school is sports school, then every country has tall students in their sports school. However, if your school is normal students, WOW! That is really fantastic.
                              Last edited by tallwestman; 04-01-2014, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beva View Post
                                Well, since I come from Dinaric Alps, from Herzegovina, I can say something about that... I'm not that tall, I'm only 182 cm, but I think it's enough to say that in my class in high school, out of 13 men, only one was smaller than me, and the other one was the same size... Everyone else were higher than us, and 5 of my classmates were above 195 cm... Others were around 188-190 cm... Well, I know why I'm not that tall, my mother is from Bosnia, and the average Bosnian is much smaller than average Herzegovinian (or how ever you say that )... The one that was smaller than me (172 cm) was also from the border of Dinaric Alps, and this one who is my size is born in Sarajevo, which is Bosnia... I know there were scientists coming to our schools, they were examining why are we so taller then the rest (not me ), but I don't know what they concluded...

As far as I know, there are three regions with very tall men: Montenegro, Herzegovina and Dalmatia... Montenegro is a country now, so their average is visible from the stats, while Herzegovina and Dalmatia are regions in their countries...

And I hate when people say just 'Bosnia', I know it's easier, but the name of the country is Bosnia and Herzegovina, or simply B&H... Does anyone in the world call 'Trinidad and Tobago' just 'Trinidad'

What is height of the tallest kid in your class? Are any other classes are as tall as your class in your school?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information