Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Average Male Height By Country Updated (official data)Scientific research:

Quote Originally Posted by MJ>KOBE View Post
    Hey TPRaseri great research! Great there are other people who are obsessed with stats out there haha . Can I ask you a few questions, please?:

- Do you have any idea if in France, Portugal and in Spain people are shorter in the south than they are in the north? (It is definitely true for Italy, right?). Im wondering about southern France in particular.

- Are people in rural areas really shorter than in the city? Or is this not a general rule that holds true for all countries, but rather for developping countries (because theyre usually poorer, too)?

- http://diario.iol.pt/noticias/portug...11444-291.html ...I dont understand this source (which you posted for portuguese, I think) but it says the French are 1,75m tall not 1,76m?

PS: I cant believe I could actually take that screen name with the > LOL. Kobe Fans dont hate, I think he's a great player, I just dont think hell be better than MJ (esp. when it comes to game winning shots), but im willing to let him surprise me positively!

Yes,but in the year 1999-2000!According to secular trend the average nowadays is 176 cm(You need to calculate) in France.In the same source you will find Spain 174(175 nowadays) and Portugal 172(173,5 nowadays).

Yes,in rural areas people are shorter.Height is an indicator of life quality.In Spain,Italy and France people are shorter because of genetic and life quality(nutrition-more proteins).The asians are taller nowadays because they have more proteins in your diet.The upper class is taller in the most part of the countries (unless in Scandinavia and Netherlands,the life quality is basically the she same for entire population)
    Last edited by tpraseri; 04-04-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beva View Post
    According to this, average male height in Dinarides (with an accent on Herzegovina) is 186 cm:

http://www.glassrpske.com/vijest/2/n...judima-na.html

Translated, title of story is: 'Story of Herzegovinian giants, tallest people on Earth'...

That number seems very probable to me...

And tpraseri, Vojvodina is in Northern Serbia, and that sample is too small to be correct... Youngers in Herzegovina are really tall, that's all I can say...
    Yes, in herzegovina people are very tall... but I don't know what is the average height of the entire country (including Bosnia).If you find a source I will include.

"Lancé en 2003, la nouvelle campagne de mensurations lancée par l’Union Française des Industries de l’habillement (Ufih) a permis de mesuré plus de 11 500 hommes et femmes âgés de 5 à 70 ans dans 37 sites."

------> This reads that they took the measurements of 11 500 men and women BETWEEN THE AGE OF 5 AND 70.

LOL, it doesn't really make sense (to take measurements of "men" and "women" who are 5,6,7, etc. years old LOL). However how did you differentiate between 20-30 year olds and general population for the two different measurements for the French?

I cant read anything about that in the source on France?
    Yes,this source is very confuse(I put because the value is very close to the value finded in my calculations).But according to other sources (Look the source of Portugal and Spain-conscripts)in the year 2000 avg in France was 175cm, I calculate 176cm nowadays according to the growth rate in France(1 cm per decade)

Hey...thanks for the reply.

You didnt adress the question that is the most interesting to myself, if you have any idea of this, I'd appreciate if you can reply to it:

Are people in southern France shorter than those in Northern France?

Apparently this phenomenon (people in the South being shorter than in the North) is true for quite a few countries in Europe (Italy and Spain). But is it true for France, too?

EDIT: LOL, nice we posted in the exact same minute!

EDIT EDIT: I've been thinking it might have to do something with mediterranean genes or something (the North>South thing), but I just realized a tall girl I know who always had trouble finding tall enough guys raved about Hamburg (Northern Germany) and there being more tall men than here (I live in Bavaria).

I have another question: Is it normal for people getting taller as decades go by? I mean people tend to excersize less, use more the mind and fingers, sit alot more... Does nutrition alone justify the growth by decade? Does this mean that avg height in 200 years will be 2m and in 500 years 2,30m? I would hold for normal a growth in head size and declining of body size as centuries go by. I am no scientist though

Quote Originally Posted by qiangdade View Post
    I have another question: Is it normal for people getting taller as decades go by? I mean people tend to excersize less, use more the mind and fingers, sit alot more... Does nutrition alone justify the growth by decade? Does this mean that avg height in 200 years will be 2m and in 500 years 2,30m? I would hold for normal a growth in head size and declining of body size as centuries go by. I am no scientist though
    -Nutrition, enviroment and genetic are the factors.
    -The average will not increase forever:In Norway the avg stoped in 180 cm since 1990:
    Look here:
    http://www.ssb.no/english/yearbook/tab/tab-106.html

In the Denmark and Sweden the avg is not increasing too.

Hey...thanks for the reply.

You didnt adress the question that is the most interesting to myself, if you have any idea of this, I'd appreciate if you can reply to it:

Are people in southern France shorter than those in Northern France?

Apparently this phenomenon (people in the South being shorter than in the North) is true for quite a few countries in Europe (Italy and Spain). But is it true for France, too?

EDIT: LOL, nice we posted in the exact same minute!

EDIT EDIT: I've been thinking it might have to do something with mediterranean genes or something (the North>South thing), but I just realized a tall girl I know who always had trouble finding tall enough guys raved about Hamburg (Northern Germany) and there being more tall men than here (I live in Bavaria).
    Yes.In France people are taller in the North East.Even in Netherlands people are taller in the north.But in Croatia,Serbia,Bosnia-Herzegovina,Slovenia,Montenegro people are taller in the South(In Dinaric Alps the average height is 185.6cm-younger)

thanks for the reply again.

I read that in the one source..people being the tallest in the north-east of France. However, that made me wonder...because the North-East of France is an area where a ton of people have german-ancestry...or at least have some "german blood". Many of them speak German, the main city I know of there is called Strasbourg or Straßburg, which is a name that sounds totally German. So I thought that the German genes many of those people have might have something to do with it and that it wouldnt necessarily confirm the North vs. South rule.

PS: I'd like to shoot you a personal message, but I dont have enough posts to do so, so I'll ask here:

- Ive heard the grasp of English was pretty good in Lisbon, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by tpraseri View Post
    Yes, in herzegovina people are very tall... but I don't know what is the average height of the entire country (including Bosnia).If you find a source I will include.
    I can't find a source, but I think it's pretty much as same as in Croatia, about 180 cm...
    I changed my signature, now it says something completely different!

Hey tpraseri...I've spoken with a half portuguese girl who's 5'1 and who's sisters are around her height and brother 5'8.

However, she claims her mom (portuguese) is 5'6 and her Dad (us american) is 6'4.

Is that even humanly possible? The height of females and males is basically the genetic result of their parents "height" genes...with quite a bit variation possible (and nutrition, etc. of course). But have you ever heard of that? Maybe you know any families where the dad is non-portuguese (and fairly tall), but the mom portuguese? I find extremely interesting what she said, because I would have never thought that could be true.

Hey tpraseri...I've spoken with a half portuguese girl who's 5'1 and who's sisters are around her height and brother 5'8.

However, she claims her mom (portuguese) is 5'6 and her Dad (us american) is 6'4.

Is that even humanly possible? The height of females and males is basically the genetic result of their parents "height" genes...with quite a bit variation possible (and nutrition, etc. of course). But have you ever heard of that? Maybe you know any families where the dad is non-portuguese (and fairly tall), but the mom portuguese? I find extremely interesting what she said, because I would have never thought that could be true.
    Very strange...
    probably a rare genetic combination.In the most part of the cases:
    father's height + mother's height + 13=x
    x/2=son's height(error:-8,5cm or +8,5cm)

ex: 180(father)+170(mother)+13=363

363/2=181,5

son's height:173cm-190cm

(english grasp is good in Portugal.I'm not from Lisboa but this is probably true.)

interesting thanks. I'm 1,91 tall, so I'm 1 cm above the upper range (dad 182cm, mom 168cm --> same as 180 and 170). But thanks for the formula.

Maybe he isnt their real dad, and they just dont know it

Another question just came to my mind....I used to drink a BUNCH of milk and ate a lot of yogurt in my late teens (you guys dont even want to know how much!) because I was building muscle (silly, yes..).

Ive often wondered if that had anything to do with my height.

Do you have any idea if that is the reason why the dutch people (who i read were not tall, at all..rather small actually?) ended up growing so big? because they consume so much dairy stuff? I know correlation an causation are two different things, but this got me puzzled. I assume, there are other explanations for the dutch peoples' height?

On the other hand I was 183cm tall when I was 15 (almost 16..know that because of my ID card), and until then I didn't drink much milk or anything....Any idea if 183cm at "almost 16" ---> 191cm when fully grown is rather normal?
    Last edited by MJ>KOBE; 04-06-2009 at 09:11 PM.

interesting thanks. I'm 1,91 tall, so I'm 1 cm above the upper range (dad 182cm, mom 168cm --> same as 180 and 170). But thanks for the formula.

Maybe he isnt their real dad, and they just dont know it

Another question just came to my mind....I used to drink a BUNCH of milk and ate a lot of yogurt in my late teens (you guys dont even want to know how much!) because I was building muscle (silly, yes..).

Ive often wondered if that had anything to do with my height.

Do you have any idea if that is the reason why the dutch people (who i read were not tall, at all..rather small actually?) ended up growing so big? because they consume so much dairy stuff? I know correlation an causation are two different things, but this got me puzzled. I assume, there are other explanations for the dutch peoples' height?

On the other hand I was 183cm tall when I was 15 (almost 16..know that because of my ID card), and until then I didn't drink much milk or anything....Any idea if 183cm at "almost 16" ---> 191cm when fully grown is rather normal?
    it' genetics bigest reason you stop growing. some people strats shaving, before others. simpley greg o(l)den is best sample. i have friend who was about 170cm as 17 year old, when he enterd 20is he stoped groving and now he is 195cm (and yes his roots are from dinaric alps)
    Jordi Bertomeu sucks!

Very strange...
    probably a rare genetic combination.In the most part of the cases:

ex: 180(father)+170(mother)+13=363

363/2=181,5

son's height:173cm-190cm

(english grasp is good in Portugal.I'm not from Lisboa but this is probably true.)
    Very interesting.

But here is my (interesting I think) case.

I am 191cm. My father is 180cm and my mother 158cm. According to your type I should be between 167cm-184cm.

On my father's side of the family, my grandmother was 150cm and my grandfather was 185cm. Their sons ranged from 168cm to my father the tallest 180cm.

But my grandfather was the shortest of his brothers, the tallest one being 203cm.

So it's looking like nutricion and genetics gave me some extra bonus from past generations.

BTW, my sister is 163cm.

Talking

Yes!, Dutch people longest in the world!
    And they still haven't stopped growin, lol

This works perfectly for me. My father's height is 191 cm, my mother's - 178. Mine - 191 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gytaz View Post
    This works perfectly for me. My father's height is 191 cm, my mother's - 178. Mine - 191 too.

My mum 1.65, my dad 1.72... me myself 1.93

Conclussion: im adopted

Keep in mind it is potential height. The average height of the entire population of European countries has grown a lot over the generations due to better nutrition. If your parents had grown up today, they would probably be taller, and the formula might fit better.

On the other hand, I am 2.5 cm smaller than the predicted range, so no explanation there

My mom 164, my dad 164, me 177, and my younger brother 184. With 177, I have always been the shortest boy in my class ( I went to several schools-elementary and high), and my brother was somewhere in the middle, even he is 184. Btw, I'm from Belgrade. It's clear that younger generations are taller then older ones, probably nutrition-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Borisko View Post
    My mom 164, my dad 164, me 177, and my younger brother 184. With 177, I have always been the shortest boy in my class ( I went to several schools-elementary and high), and my brother was somewhere in the middle, even he is 184. Btw, I'm from Belgrade. It's clear that younger generations are taller then older ones, probably nutrition-related.
    Even if I didn't know I'd guess you were from the Balkans
    Die Liebe wird eine Krankheit, wenn man sie als eine Heilung sieht
    Artificial Nature

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast